Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

Stalin was right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Dumpmaster General posted:

this is a common thing with people who make reactionary knowledge their 'brand'. Like the QAnon Anonymous podcast guys, they used to be able to go 'these people are stupid and funny and it sucks that sometimes they gas each other up enough for one of them to go try to shoot up a pizza place but they're mostly just idiots' and now it's all 'NO THESE GUYS ARE SCARY AND REAL AND DANGEROUS AND THE FBI NEEDS TO ARREST THEM FOR POSTING CRINGE'. When you spend your time marinading in this poo poo you wind up pilling yourself into believing their hype just like they do
i was frankly worried that'd happen to me because i used to do that a lot, and i took a step back a bit

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I'm still going to freak out a bit at Cristiano Ronaldo becoming a Jordan Peterson client, which just means that now every facet of portuguese media will try to push him just because Ronaldo likes him.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

personally i am sick and tired of portuguese media trying to push jordan peterson on me at all turns.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Hooplah posted:

personally i am sick and tired of portuguese

Dumpmaster General
Sep 8, 2022

by sebmojo

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

so what are The Game episodes of TrueAnon and why are people scared of them

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Homeless Friend posted:

you're thinking of the goon who was responsible for setting up hillarys email server

I didn't know Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin was a goon!

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

so what are The Game episodes of TrueAnon and why are people scared of them

they're about the Synanon organization/cult, attack therapy, and the "troubled teen industry" like the boot camp-type place brace got sent to as a kid where it was run by Synanon acolytes/freaks who made the kids do attack therapy and also verbally and physically and psychologically and emotionally and sexually abused them. the final episode that comes out tomorrow seems to be the hosts/brace confronting the guy who ran the camp brace was sent to. it's heavy stuff

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

they're about the Synanon organization/cult, attack therapy, and the "troubled teen industry" like the boot camp-type place brace got sent to as a kid where it was run by Synanon acolytes/freaks who made the kids do attack therapy and also verbally and physically and psychologically and emotionally and sexually abused them. the final episode that comes out tomorrow seems to be the hosts/brace confronting the guy who ran the camp brace was sent to. it's heavy stuff

Crazy. As someone who got a taste of that and was threatened with a similar program i will probably skip that. I'd just never heard it referred to as "the game"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Having seen a lot of docs about cults, it's surprising how many of them have struggle sessions at the heart of them. I've never understood how that makes people more devoted to the cult.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

Having seen a lot of docs about cults, it's surprising how many of them have struggle sessions at the heart of them. I've never understood how that makes people more devoted to the cult.

I'd have to imagine it's just utterly breaking someone down until they're the most vulnerable they can possibly be and then giving them the love and affirmation they need after the trauma. now they're dependent on the group for emotional and mental support

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I'd have to imagine it's just utterly breaking someone down until they're the most vulnerable they can possibly be and then giving them the love and affirmation they need after the trauma. now they're dependent on the group for emotional and mental support

Yeah, it's the same with abusive intimate relationships where the perpetrator alternates between abuse and love bombing.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Kunster posted:

I'm still going to freak out a bit at Cristiano Ronaldo becoming a Jordan Peterson client, which just means that now every facet of portuguese media will try to push him just because Ronaldo likes him.

Wait what

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

and also/often having some of their deepest secrets that you can threaten to air should they leave

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Well it makes some sense, Ronaldo's never been known to be the sharpest tool in the shed. I guess the weird part is him interacting with something outside of the sport that I know of. Or interacting with something at all. For as rich and exposed as he is he's incredibly boring.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

PostNouveau posted:

Let me tell you about Compaction Cycles...

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

SAM JACKSON: I have had it with these motherfuckin' Portuguese on this motherfuckin' Iberian peninsula

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Idg how anyone who's interested in his garbage ideology can get past what an outwardly weepy loser Jorp is. Why is a guy who's whole schtick is talking about how men need to toughen up always in tears? It doesn't make any sense! :mad:

His ideology also sucks, so to go "wait, let's hear him out" and then not make fun of him twice as hard takes a very special kind of idiot

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Futanari Damacy posted:

Idg how anyone who's interested in his garbage ideology can get past what an outwardly weepy loser Jorp is. Why is a guy who's whole schtick is talking about how men need to toughen up always in tears? It doesn't make any sense! :mad:

His ideology also sucks, so to go "wait, let's hear him out" and then not make fun of him twice as hard takes a very special kind of idiot

I think it's basically entirely people who read his book first and thought it had "good common sense advice" and have now sunk cost fallacy'd themselves into defending weepy kermit

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

tokin opposition posted:

Let me tell you about Compaction Cycles...

Please do before I have to perform a seance to retrieve the ancient memories. It is too clouded with Other Proper Nouns and too long ago. I would enter a fugue state and commit fully to Schitzoposting and I got laundry to do.

Gonna finally listen to 3 and 4 during laundry I'm so hype for podcast

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I think it's basically entirely people who read his book first and thought it had "good common sense advice" and have now sunk cost fallacy'd themselves into defending weepy kermit

actually it's gay to get pussy

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

crepeface posted:

actually it's gay to get pussy

it's gay because every man is actually a woman who hasn't come out yet, and every woman is a man who hasn't come out yet. basically anything you do or don't do is gay

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tokin opposition posted:

it's gay because every man is actually a woman who hasn't come out yet, and every woman is a man who hasn't come out yet. basically anything you do or don't do is gay

this sounds like a manifesto excerpt from a very insecure cis man

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Fortaleza posted:

Well it makes some sense, Ronaldo's never been known to be the sharpest tool in the shed. I guess the weird part is him interacting with something outside of the sport that I know of. Or interacting with something at all. For as rich and exposed as he is he's incredibly boring.

The man is a huge scam magnet, but this was precipitated more by his run in with Football Leaks revealing a document where he gave someone a sum to not go out to the authorities to report that he had raped her on a Las Vegas penthouse. Even if the leaker went to jail, with our president even openly commenting on this being a mild embarrassment, with half of the parlamento twisting itself over to break the whistleblower laws while going thru every other thing said leaker found out, he still demanded some sort of major tribute and "excuse to open himself". That was an interview with Piers Morgan, who introduced him to Peterson to "help" him. I can't find a way to state how stupid and evil the whole thing is.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Futanari Damacy posted:

I don't remember the whole argument, but I remember reading someone posit that it's because he puts really mundane self-help advice into a really dramatic framing and it hooks people. "Western civilization will collapse unless you start making your bed" etc.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/TrueAnonPod/status/1579868480840818688?s=20&t=Hu5qXrcYwrzFuQeON7h15Q
https://twitter.com/TrueAnonPod/status/1579872886377938950?s=20&t=YzQ6yaRBSTkMha9Ld8WGkg

uber_stoat has issued a correction as of 18:58 on Oct 11, 2022

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Fly Molo posted:

this sounds like a manifesto excerpt from a very insecure cis man

Egg Salad

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Couple pages back but remember that Texas allegedly went to an Ivy League school. I'm sure he could definitely log off and get a VP job somewhere

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

lol that this also describes the bread and roses forum

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

exmarx posted:

lol that this also describes the bread and roses forum

The Game is not describing QCS 1 to 1 but...

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Popy posted:

Stalin was right

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Baltimore prosecutors drop all charges against Adnan Syed, ‘Serial’ podcast subject

quote:

Baltimore City State’s Attorney Marilyn Mosby said Tuesday she instructed her office to dismiss the charges after results of advanced DNA testing of Lee’s shoes, skirt, pantyhose and jacket ruled out Syed. “The items that we tested had never before been tested,” Mosby said. “We used advanced DNA to determine that it was not Adnan Syed.”

Adnan had the conviction vacated in September but that did leave the door open for a retrial. That door has now been closed.

I recall being told that I was an idiot when I expressed my doubts as to a conviction without physical evidence and hinging on the testimony of a jailhouse snitch who would have faced the murder charges himself had he not testified against Adnan. The policework seemed at the time to be shoddy and the prosecutors motive, that Adnan had done a muslim hulkout, also appeared to be pretty weak. These concerns were brushed aside because, why would the police lie and why would the DA fabricate a motive and be complicit in using a false witness?

I hope they catch the real criminal, who remained on the street after the police and prosecutor took the easy way out.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KirbyKhan posted:

The Game is not describing QCS 1 to 1 but...

lmao

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I mean sure, everyone (except me, virtuous poster I am) has had their avatar changed in a demeaning way but that's nothing like everyone having to shave their head out of solidarity shame as a result of a complicated social ritual because...

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KirbyKhan posted:

I mean sure, everyone (except me, virtuous poster I am) has had their avatar changed in a demeaning way but that's nothing like everyone having to shave their head out of solidarity shame as a result of a complicated social ritual because...

nah that’s because all the results of “kirby khan bernie” come out as eiffel towers

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

KirbyKhan posted:

Please do before I have to perform a seance to retrieve the ancient memories. It is too clouded with Other Proper Nouns and too long ago. I would enter a fugue state and commit fully to Schitzoposting and I got laundry to do.

Gonna finally listen to 3 and 4 during laundry I'm so hype for podcast

Basically a combination of Sunk Costs and Abusive Relationships, which leads to organizations whittling down from broad appeal to only fanatics

The basic idea is that a cult is generally wrapped up around some sort of Event that the leader will perform/enact/cause to occur/whatever. Think poo poo like the 7th Day Adventists or the Iron Hands ape guys or the QAnon JFK Jr. Clone guys -- just have faith, keep going, listen to the Leader.

Then, when The Event does not occur, a lot of folks leave. They cut their losses, go back to their normal lives. Those who remain are even more invested, now that the unfaithful have abandoned them. The movement cannot fail, it can only be failed, etc. These are often people who don't have anything else going on in their lives, lost a great deal, gave up on external relationships, have become financially dependent on the organization...

And then it happens again. Prophecy fails. And again. Each time, shedding off folks who can't hack it, finally have the strength to give up, are so abused by the organization that they are rescued by others, or get killed. Each cycle gets worse for the people still in the cult.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Basically a combination of Sunk Costs and Abusive Relationships, which leads to organizations whittling down from broad appeal to only fanatics

The basic idea is that a cult is generally wrapped up around some sort of Event that the leader will perform/enact/cause to occur/whatever. Think poo poo like the 7th Day Adventists or the Iron Hands ape guys or the QAnon JFK Jr. Clone guys -- just have faith, keep going, listen to the Leader.

Then, when The Event does not occur, a lot of folks leave. They cut their losses, go back to their normal lives. Those who remain are even more invested, now that the unfaithful have abandoned them. The movement cannot fail, it can only be failed, etc. These are often people who don't have anything else going on in their lives, lost a great deal, gave up on external relationships, have become financially dependent on the organization...

And then it happens again. Prophecy fails. And again. Each time, shedding off folks who can't hack it, finally have the strength to give up, are so abused by the organization that they are rescued by others, or get killed. Each cycle gets worse for the people still in the cult.

When Prophecy Fails can be had on the kindle store for 1 bux right now!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Toph Bei Fong posted:

I went to a couple of fun parties in grad school for that guy who said the world was ending on a random Saturday in 2011/12, thanks for reminding me. Whatever happened to that fool?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Futanari Damacy posted:

men are too soy these days