Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B33rChiller

Glad your lights are back on, Doc!

:trashed:

Dr. Honked posted:

the junk, rather than the trunk
Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant

:hmmorks: :orks:

Welcome back to civilization, Doc!

awesome spring sig by RavenousScoot

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
living off the grid is for chumps. gimme that grid. grid me up, daddio

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Dr. Honked posted:

living off the grid is for chumps. gimme that grid. grid me up, daddio
Usually the point of living off the grid is that you *do* have power, it just doesn't come from an external thing that breaks and can't repair it for 16 days.

But ideally I'd like to be on the grid *and* have a backup source of power etc. Annoyingly, solar panels don't even have an option to work that way unless you throw like an extra $5000 at the setup and then you've got batteries that will probably burn your house down or just stop working the instant you need them.

B33rChiller

roomforthetuna posted:

Usually the point of living off the grid is that you *do* have power, it just doesn't come from an external thing that breaks and can't repair it for 16 days.

But ideally I'd like to be on the grid *and* have a backup source of power etc. Annoyingly, solar panels don't even have an option to work that way unless you throw like an extra $5000 at the setup and then you've got batteries that will probably burn your house down or just stop working the instant you need them.
best way I've heard is to have a battery shed, and go for the durable older tech nickel iron batteries. Many more, deeper cycles than lithium, just lower energy density, but that's not such a concern since it's stationary.

:trashed:

Dr. Honked posted:

the junk, rather than the trunk
Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
i just enjoy the rectilinear nature of the grid more than anything

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

Shifty Nipples

Dr. Honked posted:

i just enjoy the rectilinear nature of the grid more than anything

grids be like that sometimes

Thanks Plant MONSTER. and deep dish peat moss and deep dish peat moss and deep dish peat moss

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

B33rChiller posted:

best way I've heard is to have a battery shed, and go for the durable older tech nickel iron batteries. Many more, deeper cycles than lithium, just lower energy density, but that's not such a concern since it's stationary.
Just read up about those, it sounded quite good until I got to the "add distilled water every 3 months" part. Maintaining stuff sucks. :colbert:

idiotsavant

roomforthetuna posted:

Just read up about those, it sounded quite good until I got to the "add distilled water every 3 months" part. Maintaining stuff sucks. :colbert:

maintaining lead acid battery rooms definitely kinda sucks too cause you still have to worry about explosions and fires and stuff happening & need some basic safety controls built-in for that kind of stuff and battery maintenance is kind of annoying plus you have to worry about the acid part of lead-acid for all of it. you can get maintenance-free batteries but they cost more, don't necessarily last as long, and it's more difficult to check and verify that they're good.

Escape From Noise

Mungo my Jerrys. It is a crisp Autumn morning.

Ohtori Akio
I crave the day when energy storage is just a big ol tank of hydrogen

sb hermit

All humans come with a tank of gas

:fart:

sb hermit

it's these kinds of leaks, on a massive scale, that can likely contribute something to climate change

the only solution is to make :marc:-free beans for global consumption

sb hermit

chili without kidney beans is a travesty

sb hermit

I have never had authentic cincinnati chili mac and it's on my bucket list

more falafel please

forums poster

sb hermit posted:

I have never had authentic cincinnati chili mac and it's on my bucket list

it's good! don't think of it like chili, just think of it as a different ground meat and tomato stew. if you think of it as "chili" the spices taste weird. if you think of it as its own thing, inspired by Macedonian dishes, it's really good

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

sb hermit

more falafel please posted:

it's good! don't think of it like chili, just think of it as a different ground meat and tomato stew. if you think of it as "chili" the spices taste weird. if you think of it as its own thing, inspired by Macedonian dishes, it's really good

:yum:

sb hermit

my mind wants to autocorrect that to "mastodonian dishes" and then it goes to a whole other space.

I wonder what a mastodon would taste like.

Code Jockey

69420 basic bytes free

sb hermit posted:

my mind wants to autocorrect that to "mastodonian dishes" and then it goes to a whole other space.

metallic

sb hermit

:yum:

Escape From Noise

sb hermit posted:

You'd have to ask some Russians from 1901.

sb hermit

True

I was thinking something more akin to a Jurassic Park solution where extinct mastodons are re-introduced to 2022 or something. Something a bit more fresh.

Escape From Noise

sb hermit posted:

True

I was thinking something more akin to a Jurassic Park solution where extinct mastodons are re-introduced to 2022 or something. Something a bit more fresh.

Jurassic Park, but it's about commercial meat farming.

Ohtori Akio
would you eat the mastodöner

Ohtori Akio
lol i have 666 post count

Escape From Noise

I drank this last night. It was bad.

Ohtori Akio
did you dry your hands off eventually

Escape From Noise

No.

Ohtori Akio
Terrifying.

Andoman

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi

Escape From Noise posted:

I drank this last night. It was bad.

I would try it out of morbid fascination… but with a healthy dose of fear and trepidation. I’m Assuming you were not expecting it to be good?

Escape From Noise

Andoman posted:

I would try it out of morbid fascination… but with a healthy dose of fear and trepidation. I’m Assuming you were not expecting it to be good?

Oh. I absolutely expected bad. I took like a couple sips. I have a morbid fascination with these kinds of things. My friends and I had a tradition of getting a Jone's Soda Holiday pack and drinking from what we suspected would be the least bad going towards worse. I still taste the smoked salmon pate and the prosciutto ham and brussel sprouts ones in my nightmares.

Escape From Noise

Ohtori Akio posted:

Terrifying.

Moistboyz represent

Tebulot

im hip now bois

Hayfever is a piece of poo poo

Stoner Sloth

Tebulot posted:

Hayfever is a piece of poo poo

not sure if it would help but there's a relatively new allergen immunotherapy approach that consists of taking pills once a day with a very, very tiny amount of allergens. was just recently reading about a study over several years by monash university that suggested it can prevent hayfever in some people long term

might be worth asking a doc about?

here's an abc article about it:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-10-03/hayfever-breakthrough-daily-treatment-monash/101496448

nut

kidz bop star turning 14 and hearing the real version of trap Queen and getting the vapours

biosterous

Escape From Noise posted:

Jurassic Park, but it's about commercial meat farming.

jurassic pork

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

sb hermit posted:

not much whats a mastodon with you

Mummy Napkin
good dog!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xcheopis

Such a baby

Everywhere, everyone is red and green
I gotta lust for glory and a tape machine
I'm living out Frank Coppola's dreams
Outta my mind, I'm feelin' mean