Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Nenonen posted:

What if all elderly people were sent to Rwanda?

What's up with THAT, anyway? Has Truss doubled down on it?

Liz Truss is absolutely on board with the Rwanda scheme, the tory base hates immigrants enough that she's got no reason to back down on it even if she somehow wanted to. afaik it's still on hold as it goes through the courts but that's the only thing stopping them doing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

but they aren't immigrants OP

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

I fear having to put my dad in a home.

Mostly because he’s a racist old coot and I wouldn’t blame any non-white carers for not subjecting themselves to him.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Angepain posted:

Liz Truss is absolutely on board with the Rwanda scheme, the tory base hates immigrants enough that she's got no reason to back down on it even if she somehow wanted to. afaik it's still on hold as it goes through the courts but that's the only thing stopping them doing it

Suella de Ville specifically said at conference it's her personal dream to see a bunch of desperate asylum seekers flown off to Rwanda.

Second home secretary in a row who would be deported by their own lovely standards.

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Really enjoyed listening to this today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViY-zI3b5JQ

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

Second home secretary in a row who would be deported by their own lovely standards.
Thinking that's the point. Dropping all conservatism with a human face for xenophobia with a actually-if-you-disagree-your-the-real-racist face.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The DPRK posted:

Really enjoyed listening to this today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViY-zI3b5JQ
He was on the latest bonus episode of TF as well, his messaging is really clear. I like how attention grabbing & clear the line is about how if we made the billionaires as rich as they were 3 years ago, every household in the country would get 12 grand.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Nenonen posted:

What if all elderly people were sent to Rwanda?
It'd make sense, as old people generally prefer warmer temperatures as their own bodies have a hard time producing enough heat.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Pretty hosed up to suggest we make Rwanda deal with all our lovely old people instead of the infinitely more useful to society migrants.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Sam Tarry deselected.

In all honesty his selection in the first place did seem a bit dodgy but the fact that Wes Streeting is happy about Jas Atwal being selected instead makes me think Tarry would definitely be the better of the two.

Oh well, dead party continues to rot, so sad.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

sebzilla posted:

Sam Tarry deselected.

In all honesty his selection in the first place did seem a bit dodgy but the fact that Wes Streeting is happy about Jas Atwal being selected instead makes me think Tarry would definitely be the better of the two.

The Stalinist purges begin

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

sebzilla posted:

Sam Tarry deselected.

I got quite pissed off with the lefties who are acting shocked that the Labour right would be such bare-faced hypocrites, loving clowns. Feeble decorum poisoned bullshit that reeks of the US Democrats in its patheticness.

Sure, it loving sucks how transparent it is that purging the left is acceptable but this cannot come as a shock. The Labour Party hierarchy is intolerant towards anyone challenging neoliberal orthodoxy in any meaningful way. The media are every bit as intolerant so they aren't going to attack Labour right purges now anymore than they did the Militant purge.

It's all deeply cynical and depressing and on some level I'm probably lashing out at the people on the left who are acting shocked by all this because it'd be nice to have that level of naivety (or less meanly, faith in British institutions).

I just can't really wrap my head around someone who paid attention to the party and press reaction to 2015-19 and being shocked they'd act in this way. Or that the press would care so long as the target are the left, who are all antisemites according to the media let's not forget.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The only meaningful outcome of Tarry's de-selection for us in this thread is that it should make it easier for us to not vote Labour in future. They don't want us representing the party, they don't want us in the party, they don't care if we stop paying towards the party. So don't vote Labour. If you're desperate to vote and have no options except the big three, loving vote Lib Dem, at least they want to legalise weed.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

I have been thinking about the Tories abysmal polling and the direction this government is going to take.

At this point Truss cannot recover so I think she will keep doubling down as clinging on for as long as possible, the likes of Sue Ellen can see the writing on the wall and will say and do anything that will get them a juicy think tank/talking head job once things fall apart.

The Tories might try to get rid of Truss and install a caretaker but I think they are too far gone in the public's eyes so that won't work.

Either way we aren't getting an election for another 2 years as too many trough feeders don't want to give up their nosebag.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

notaspy posted:

I have been thinking about the Tories abysmal polling and the direction this government is going to take.

At this point Truss cannot recover so I think she will keep doubling down as clinging on for as long as possible, the likes of Sue Ellen can see the writing on the wall and will say and do anything that will get them a juicy think tank/talking head job once things fall apart.

The Tories might try to get rid of Truss and install a caretaker but I think they are too far gone in the public's eyes so that won't work.

Either way we aren't getting an election for another 2 years as too many trough feeders don't want to give up their nosebag.

The guts of their own party that are too far gone as well, nobody will be able to agree who a caretaker leader should be even if they manage to change the process to oust Truss. They might appoint one but they will continue to kick the poo poo out of each other in the process.

They are going on a long hiatus sooner or later, pity about the alternative and all the damage they will do in the meantime.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1579729813811892224

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
Would the Tories have been destined for the wilderness after the next election had they stuck it out with Johnson or gone with Rishi?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Halisnacks posted:

Would the Tories have been destined for the wilderness after the next election had they stuck it out with Johnson or gone with Rishi?

Maybe, but probably not as catastrophically as they seem to be right now.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/nullen80/status/1577383912157978630

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Gorn Myson posted:

The only meaningful outcome of Tarry's de-selection for us in this thread is that it should make it easier for us to not vote Labour in future. They don't want us representing the party, they don't want us in the party, they don't care if we stop paying towards the party. So don't vote Labour. If you're desperate to vote and have no options except the big three, loving vote Lib Dem, at least they want to legalise weed.

lol, lib dems are just blue tories.

I remember voting lib dem when they said they'd abolish student fees. What I got was a tory government and no abolition of student fees.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Gorn Myson posted:

I would rather douse my ballot in petrol and set it on fire, but instead of throwing it in a bin I'd keep hold of it and get 1st degree burns, than vote for the Lib loving Dems.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

He looks like the kid from Boy Meets World who disappeared after season 1.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
If you are dissatisfied with voting Labour may I present the alternative solution of dismantling the current electoral system

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

Bobby Deluxe posted:

He was on the latest bonus episode of TF as well, his messaging is really clear. I like how attention grabbing & clear the line is about how if we made the billionaires as rich as they were 3 years ago, every household in the country would get 12 grand.

Same, this guy should get more airtime and leftists should take notes on how to talk about things like these. No memelording or overly academic nonsense. He even has the right amount of outragedness, enough to be appropriate but not so much that it gets depressing and tiresome.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

The DPRK posted:

Is there an audio-only version of this?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Can someone who knows about economics explain how in general there is a shortage of labour, but at the same time employee bargaining power over pay is non existent. Shouldn't one affect the other directly?

I get that unions have been weakened, but surely if you can't attract staff then the first thing you do is look at increasing pay?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Halisnacks posted:

Is there an audio-only version of this?

Press play and then look away from the screen

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

keep punching joe posted:

Can someone who knows about economics explain how in general there is a shortage of labour, but at the same time employee bargaining power over pay is non existent. Shouldn't one affect the other directly?

I get that unions have been weakened, but surely if you can't attract staff then the first thing you do is look at increasing pay?

Gig economy I suppose, also "sweat the remaining assets harder" aka slavedriving. Whatcha gonna do, go on strike and get bashed by polis?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mostly I think the institutions, i.e employers, are simply not willing to consider raising pay. They have gone a long enough time when it wasn't necessary that they are full of people who can't imagine why it would ever be necessary.

Also, arguably, everyone is used to crap services and nothing working, so you can just keep delivering crap service. Shelves are empty, nothing is done on time, everyone sleepwalks through the world regardless. It's poo poo but it's always been poo poo, you would have to be a weirdo to imagine it not being poo poo.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

The DPRK posted:

This was great, thanks for sharing it, really interesting stuff

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Also, arguably, everyone is used to crap services and nothing working, so you can just keep delivering crap service. Shelves are empty, nothing is done on time, everyone sleepwalks through the world regardless. It's poo poo but it's always been poo poo, you would have to be a weirdo to imagine it not being poo poo.

You forgot "...and we like it being poo poo, and if you don't like it you can gently caress off"

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-63212398

quote:

Breaking: PM 'committed to growth plan'

Prime Minister Liz Truss remains committed to the economic plan set out in last month's mini-budget, despite today's fresh intervention by the Bank of England, Downing Street says.

Earlier, the Bank said it would expand its bond-buying programme. This was a further effort to shore up the price of government bonds, preventing a market sell-off that could affect pension funds and other investors.

Referring to last month's mini-budget, a Truss spokesman said the prime minister remained "confident that the measures set out will deliver growth in the economy".

Asked about the Bank's announcement, he added: "The additional measures announced today will support an orderly end to the Bank of England's intervention scheme."

He added that the intervention was not discussed at Tuesday morning's main cabinet meeting. "They talked about the growth plan and the importance of that," he said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDKQliH1awY&t=20s

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That too, though even then I think it's in part a reaction to the acknowledgement that it's poo poo and could be not poo poo.

There are totally people who like it being poo poo specifically for other people, even if it includes them, but I think there's a wider group of people who just... don't like to imagine that the shittiness is something that could be fixed, and could have been fixed a long time ago, and that putting up with it for years has been completely unhelpful and unncessary and there is no prize for doing it.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

Press play and then look away from the screen

Well sure, but I was going to try to listen to it while exercising and its a bit cumbersome to do that on YouTube.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Mostly I think the institutions, i.e employers, are simply not willing to consider raising pay. They have gone a long enough time when it wasn't necessary that they are full of people who can't imagine why it would ever be necessary.

They raised pay a tiny bit, it didn't immediately result in thousands of people clamoring to work for them, so they concluded that obviously pay isn't the reason they can't hire people and dropped it back down.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Just once I'd like to see someone ask these twerps what happens when the """""""""growth plan""""""""" fails. Notice I said when not if.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/kruger4devizes/status/1579742951768731648

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

keep punching joe posted:

there's no (not enough) growth so the only way to make more money than before is to boost margins and than means cutting cost; most fixed costs have allready been squeezed to the max possible so we're onto variable costs like labour

as for whether it will work idk, but they're clearly banking on government & central bank intervention forcing people into below living wage employment

Rustybear fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Oct 11, 2022

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Halisnacks posted:

Well sure, but I was going to try to listen to it while exercising and its a bit cumbersome to do that on YouTube.

Things like this are part of why I got YT premium (€2 p/m by signing up via an Indian proxy)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Halisnacks posted:

i think it counts as piracy (???) but allegedly and if you were so inclined you could use a google search to extract a youtube video as an mp3