Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

drrockso20 posted:

And IDW 1 having a terrible track record in general regarding how it treated any Transformer gimmicks

What do you mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Mainly the comics tended to just forget about people transforming a lot so it was just robots with random bits on. They joked about it, but it does lessen the value of the weird alien robots if you forget about so much of the weird alien bits. And the other toy gimmicks got even less use, although they did manage to shoehorn in combining. It's frustrating, since there were maybe some ideas floating around the comic about how altmodes could affect how people live and how a society was built, but it just never really mattered in the moment to moment of the comic.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Combining has always been my favourite TF gimmick, and I prefer timelines where Devastator is the first combiner. I think there's something compelling about the concept of a group of engineers and construction workers combining into a hulk-like gestalt that's simultaneously greater and lesser than the sum of its parts.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Combining has always been my favourite TF gimmick, and I prefer timelines where Devastator is the first combiner. I think there's something compelling about the concept of a group of engineers and construction workers combining into a hulk-like gestalt that's simultaneously greater and lesser than the sum of its parts.

He's always been my favorite mostly because the Constructicons actually change their forms to create the appropriate limbs rather than just being interchangable like the rest of them. Scrapper and Mixmaster actually form the fleet rather than just attaching feet. The arms are a little less interesting since they're just themselves with the added bits, but I do like the lack of symmetry and general feel of him.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Medullah posted:

He's always been my favorite mostly because the Constructicons actually change their forms to create the appropriate limbs rather than just being interchangable like the rest of them. Scrapper and Mixmaster actually form the fleet rather than just attaching feet. The arms are a little less interesting since they're just themselves with the added bits, but I do like the lack of symmetry and general feel of him.

That's why Predaking is also good!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
There's a lot wrong with All Hail Megatron but Devastator being an absolute monster that fucks poo poo up REALLY comes across there. Man, I want a Devastator now.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
So weird to see TF fans bitching about Charles Martinet being Mario for a 90 minute movie, yet you know they'd watch a Waspinator only BW season.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I imagine I stand alone in that I've never liked combiners much. I guess it's because I always approached things toys first, media second, so the puny, simplistic and out of scale vehicle designs would invariably rub me the wrong way. Same with Triple Changers really. I'm happy with just an awesome robot and alt mode honestly, whenever they try for more, more often than not I feel their reach exceeds their grasp.

Still, even I can admit Devs and Predaking look pretty baller.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

Black Zarak and Arc are on sale at Best Buy for $104.99

https://twitter.com/preterniadotcom/status/1579849643818913794?s=46&t=bqzRx0bUIXizj3I_87IrPA

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Amazon exclusive Autobot Clones are on sale today for $20

https://a.co/d/bPlqwYo

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Robot Style posted:

They didn't really do anything with it in the story, but I remember gameplay of the High Moon Transformers games having a really nice flow to the integration of the different modes. With Transformers being such an action-focused series, It would be cool too see that type of on-the-fly mode switching being featured more, rather than having every fight just end up as some big human-shaped robots shooting at each other.

It's been a while since I've played WF/FOC, but from what I remember the main action spaces were largely designed to encourage using both modes, whether they were so broad and open that you had to transform to get close enough to shoot some mans, or they had moving hazards that were faster than your bot mode but not your car/tank/tetrajet form, or they were big long linear hallways that you just wouldn't want to slog down on foot. Not that that's bad, at all - encouraging players to use the aspects of the game that set it apart is a good idea!

Anyway, I wouldn't say that having humans around is necessary for transformation, per se. What it helps with is communicating scale. When your giant robot is a piloted giant robot like a Valkyrie or a battlemech, you're always reminded that it's a machine the size of a small office building. When it's just metal people interacting with other metal people, it's easy to lose the sense of "this person could see into my second storey window". Even if they're Earth vehicles! If you have a car, go outside right now and look at it, and estimate how tall it would be if the back end flipped out to become feet and it stood upright. That's a huge dude. I think that's a fun aspect of Transformers that it's good to revisit every so often.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Actually cars are smaller than fire hydrants and Bumblebee fits through doors.
https://twitter.com/TF_Moments/status/1579422740594888704

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Dabir posted:

Actually cars are smaller than fire hydrants and Bumblebee fits through doors.
https://twitter.com/TF_Moments/status/1579422740594888704

This is like how the autobots found white coats that fit them to disguise themselves as rocket scientists in the first episode

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Kingdom Rodimus Prime for $40. That's a pretty steep discount.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Medullah posted:

This is why I'm holding out on buying Motormaster. Every Commander class so far has had a deep discount at some point.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

This is why I'm holding out on buying Motormaster. Every Commander class so far has had a deep discount at some point.

I bought him at full price which should pretty much guarantee he'll go on clearance at some point, you're welcome.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Medullah posted:

Thanks for the heads up, full price for him is insane but $40 sounds pretty sweet.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Full price for Kingdom Rodimus is a good deal. 40 bucks for him is an outrageous value.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Phy posted:

It's been a while since I've played WF/FOC, but from what I remember the main action spaces were largely designed to encourage using both modes, whether they were so broad and open that you had to transform to get close enough to shoot some mans, or they had moving hazards that were faster than your bot mode but not your car/tank/tetrajet form, or they were big long linear hallways that you just wouldn't want to slog down on foot. Not that that's bad, at all - encouraging players to use the aspects of the game that set it apart is a good idea!

Anyway, I wouldn't say that having humans around is necessary for transformation, per se. What it helps with is communicating scale. When your giant robot is a piloted giant robot like a Valkyrie or a battlemech, you're always reminded that it's a machine the size of a small office building. When it's just metal people interacting with other metal people, it's easy to lose the sense of "this person could see into my second storey window". Even if they're Earth vehicles! If you have a car, go outside right now and look at it, and estimate how tall it would be if the back end flipped out to become feet and it stood upright. That's a huge dude. I think that's a fun aspect of Transformers that it's good to revisit every so often.

I never played the War For Cybertron games, but I really liked how Transformers Devastation did it where you can transform as part of combos and in order to get a little more extra mobility in fights as well as for moving around the game world outside of fights. It was a fantastic game that everybody should play, but you can't get it without :filez: anymore.

I do think that it's easy to lose the scale without the humans, but if you're not specifically dealing with their relationship with humans, the fact that transformers are massive isn't particularly relevant. Some weirdos even want all the transformers to be human scale relative to eachother instead of having some real tiny guys and some big guys. Often when transformers meet aliens when they don't have other humans around, the aliens are similarly massive.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 11, 2022

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nodosaur posted:

No, I mean just metal people. As in, they don't transform at all.

Transformation, being robots in disguise, requires characters to have that conversation with. You need humans for that.

There is dozens of prominent pieces of media that do just that without humans at all? Your post also doesn't really adress the main problem with human's in Transformers to me, which is that they are way less interesting as actual characters than the robots. Oh man, I'm having friction with my mom and home, can't wait to watch 15 minutes of that instead of the giant robots locked in an endless war.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Humans go squish

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Fsmhunk posted:

There is dozens of prominent pieces of media that do just that without humans at all? Your post also doesn't really adress the main problem with human's in Transformers to me, which is that they are way less interesting as actual characters than the robots. Oh man, I'm having friction with my mom and home, can't wait to watch 15 minutes of that instead of the giant robots locked in an endless war.

what exact Transformers series are you speaking of where what you described happens?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

also this No Humans stuff is incredibly reductive when Earthspark's main hook is being a story about Cybertronians stuck on Earth with the first generation of earthborne TFs learning how to come into their heritage as both Cybertronian and Earthlings.

That's far more interesting than yet another space opera and pretty much requires the existence of human characters in order to properly illustrate the two worlds Twitch and Thrash belong in. But hey, let's watch the endless war stuff we've seen a million times instead.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Medullah posted:

Up to $60 now. Still a great figure and a bargain.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Man if I hadn't just recently bought a Steam Deck I'd be all over both of those

Xenomrph posted:

Amazon exclusive Autobot Clones are on sale today for $20

https://a.co/d/bPlqwYo

Will get these though

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

It's that time of year again.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Regarding Motormaster, do I have it right that you can just sit in any deluxe from the line in? Don't know if I'll get all the stunticons but might get Knock Out.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

BizarroAzrael posted:

Regarding Motormaster, do I have it right that you can just sit in any deluxe from the line in? Don't know if I'll get all the stunticons but might get Knock Out.

No, each limb is keyed to a specific deluxe Stunticon.

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008

strangehamster posted:

No, each limb is keyed to a specific deluxe Stunticon.

Well, the two that go on the legs, Wildrider and Break-Down, can be switched. But Dragstrip and Deadend are the bots that go on the right and the left arms, specifically and exclusively.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Got the new laser prime

It's awful. Tiny, flimsy, extremely fiddly to transform, and the trailer is pathetically tiny and doesn't do anything. The complete opposite of the original.

Literally the only thing it adds is a little more articulation in the wrists and ankles, everything else is a straight downgrade

edit: oh wait never mind the shoulderpads flip open to reveal a solid piece of unpainted plastic shaped like a missile launcher toy redeemed

flavor.flv fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Oct 12, 2022

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I would like to see the return of smaller combiners, duos or trios that combine, even if it's just the vehicle modes that combine.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The core-class dinobots are gonna be really cool on that front. And the new Junkion modulators are going to have modular/mix-and-match/combining vehicle modes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SuddenCactus posted:

I would like to see the return of smaller combiners, duos or trios that combine, even if it's just the vehicle modes that combine.

They did one of those in PotP.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Nodosaur posted:

also this No Humans stuff is incredibly reductive when Earthspark's main hook is being a story about Cybertronians stuck on Earth with the first generation of earthborne TFs learning how to come into their heritage as both Cybertronian and Earthlings.

That's far more interesting than yet another space opera

lol no it's not, space operas loving rule

For real there are probably a billion different interesting new ways to include humans in stories about Transformers but this brand hasn't been about trying anything new since the 90s ended

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Huh. Someone on Reddit spotted this:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

given Nick Roche's involvement, I'd believe it.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Tighclops posted:

lol no it's not, space operas loving rule

For real there are probably a billion different interesting new ways to include humans in stories about Transformers but this brand hasn't been about trying anything new since the 90s ended

Transformers has had plenty of new things in the last few decades, and TFs have done enough ponderous stories set in space where they battle endlessly. It’s time to move on.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong

Nodosaur posted:

Transformers has had plenty of new things in the last few decades, and TFs have done enough ponderous stories set in space where they battle endlessly. It’s time to move on.

Why not both I say.

Regardless I always read the reaction to human characters more to be based on how rarely it's actually been done well. For my money I only really liked them in Prime. If there was a history of doing something enjoyable with human characters I feel like the reaction would be pretty different.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

DisposableHero posted:

Why not both I say.

Regardless I always read the reaction to human characters more to be based on how rarely it's actually been done well. For my money I only really liked them in Prime. If there was a history of doing something enjoyable with human characters I feel like the reaction would be pretty different.
Masterforce was fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

It could be interesting if they actually played with the Immortal Robot thing and used the human cast as a benchmark for how long the conflict on Earth was actually taking. Rather than the Decepticons or whoever coming up with a new evil scheme every week, maybe there's years between battles as each faction moves pieces around and makes preparations, and the kid sidekicks actually grow up and start their own families over the course of a season of TV episodes. Sort of like the time jump from the '86 movie, but we actually see it happen.