Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I just want another Empires game on PC that doesn't suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Man, I jumped into Pirate Warriors 4 after because I was hungry for more One Piece after catching up on the manga, but man, this game feels so limp compared to the Zelda/FE musous. Like it feels bad to press buttons in PW4. PW3 felt the same way when I tried it out a few years ago.

How are the mainline Dynasty/Samurai Warriors in comparison? I haven't played one of those since the PS2 era

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I agree that I found Pirate Warriors 3 to be lower quality than the Hyrule/FE Warriors, but there is some fun to be had there imo. It lasted me long enough to get through the plot, and I'm not familiar with the source beyond a casual perusal of the anime/manga back in the 4kids days.

gently caress Thriller Bark, though. That stage sucks major rear end and should be excised from the game.

PsyClops
Jun 15, 2000

Commander Keene posted:

gently caress Thriller Bark, though. That stage sucks major rear end and should be excised from the game.

Great music, though. Even if the stage itself is the most annoying thing to 100% in the whole game. I think it took me 15 attempts to get everything right.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Messing around in DW4 and just about pissed myself laughing at Xing Daorong and his amazingly hammy ambush.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

DP so I apologise but it's been about three loving weeks.

Was going for some cleaning-up on DW3XL with a buddy (just some rushed levelling-up followed by whatever weapon we feel like) and lmfao Nu Wa has what may well be the worst Musou attack ever. Can't really escape Sun Quan's archer battalions if you're just standing in place.

Yeah. This was a solo effort and for once I had the magic pixel of health to get me out of trouble (instead of some dickhead enemy officer with the power to LIFE RECOVER MAX after two seconds of posing), no less after getting poo poo on by a storm of arrows post-Musou attack.

Jesus it's bad.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

There's a decent steam sale on Koei-Tecmo (including most of the musou series) games right now, if there are any older ones that you've been waiting for an opportunity to pick up on sale for PC. Although curiously, DW9 is free to play (temporarily i assume? didn't care enough to check) while 9 empires is still full price, so a real dichotomy there

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
DW9's Trial version is free and the way the Steam page is set up that becomes the advertised 'price'

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

DW9's Trial version is free and the way the Steam page is set up that becomes the advertised 'price'

That's pretty annoying! Fortunately i already had no interest in the game

Zeta Zetton
Nov 2, 2012
Noticed I had DW8:Empires and played a bit of it. Had fun, but I didn't really know who most of these dudes were, so I hooked up the old ps3 and decided to play the copy of DW7 I had gotten years ago. Remembered people saying it had the better story mode, and I liked the Wei story when I played it some years ago. Gotten though Wei, Wu, and half of Shu's story mode, and then got distracted by conquest mode. Game is fun, but there's just a lot of little differences I've noticed between it and 8:Empires that make it feel just not as fun to play. Stuff like the camera being more wonky or enemy officers constantly moving off the screen or the horses controlling worse and having to stay still to get onto the horses instead of just holding down the call horse button. Not as polished I guess? Game still owns though, and most annoyances I have are solved by just turning the game to easy mode and killing dudes in a single combo.

People were right though, the stories own and almost every one of these people are cool as hell. Bit weird how a couple of characters are constantly in the story mode but have to be unlocked in conquest mode though. They couldn't give Cao Ren or Lianshi a single stage?

Much more importantly though is that this finally made me start to watch the 2010 Three Kingdoms show and holy poo poo this owns. The actions scenes aren't too great so far but every time it's two dudes just being loudly dramatic at each other it's some of the best poo poo.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Had a dream I was playing Dynasty Warriors 2 Remastered

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah 7 mostly holds up pretty well, but if you’ve played 8, it’s impossible not to notice that it’s just ever so slightly worse, mechanically

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

The Chad Jihad posted:

Had a dream I was playing Dynasty Warriors 2 Remastered

4 Hyper still holds up. A re-issue wouldn't be a bad spinner, if they wanted.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Remaster Dynasty Warriors 3 but keep the same voice acting

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Leal posted:

Remaster Dynasty Warriors 3 but keep the same voice acting

want hi-poly yuan shao doing 2000's cutscene animation of ... GRAAAND COMMANDERRRR

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Keep all the old EN/FR/DE voices for DW3. I want to play hi-poly DW3 with a cursedly-lifelike Zhang Liang Bao saying "SENTEZ LA PUISSANCE DE MA MMMMMMMAGIIIIIIIIIIIE!!" and some 30 variations of "Ich habe ein offizier besiegt!" with glorious 4K visuals.

Zeta Zetton posted:

Much more importantly though is that this finally made me start to watch the 2010 Three Kingdoms show and holy poo poo this owns. The actions scenes aren't too great so far but every time it's two dudes just being loudly dramatic at each other it's some of the best poo poo.
Having binge-watched that again over the Summer, I was loving hooked. Cao Cao steals every scene he's in and you can't help but love the guy. He's also not painted as a cartoonish villain (although everyone not in Wei still calls him "the villain Cao Cao!" regardless).

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Oct 11, 2022

Zeta Zetton
Nov 2, 2012
So whenever I had tried the harder difficulties in these game, I always find them to be a frustrating experience because it would seem like enemies would kill me in a few hits and I had to keep on hitting them and hoping some grunt wouldn't hit me and stun me. But I decided to give the harder difficulties a try again now that I had a MUCH better load-out for my weapons and seals.

I think I truly understand musou games now. Turns out enemies killing you in a few hits makes you killing them in a few hits own so much harder?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Zeta Zetton posted:

So whenever I had tried the harder difficulties in these game, I always find them to be a frustrating experience because it would seem like enemies would kill me in a few hits and I had to keep on hitting them and hoping some grunt wouldn't hit me and stun me. But I decided to give the harder difficulties a try again now that I had a MUCH better load-out for my weapons and seals.

I think I truly understand musou games now. Turns out enemies killing you in a few hits makes you killing them in a few hits own so much harder?

Sort of. With high stats and the right weapon/item/skill attributes and setups etc. though the basic mooks shouldn't even register as a threat -- only generals & officers will be capable of doing anything, and (with a few exceptions) you'll still be far more powerful than any of them.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Warriors games are, and always have been, RPGs. The solution is usually Number Go Up.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Musou games are all terribly balanced.
Higher difficulties may make it take twice as long to kill anything but the AI is universally awful in these games so it never amounts to anything substantial.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Jack Trades posted:

the AI is universally awful in these games

https://i.imgur.com/NeAXlCp.mp4

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
If anything, the harder difficulties are more likely to screw you over on stage events that can instantly kill your run. I forget which game it was but I had to pretty much memorize the stage events and rush over to do X or save Y officer.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

In fairness, I also know exactly what happens when I hit Lu Bu's daughter, so I have to at least make the commander think I tried.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

KingShiro posted:

If anything, the harder difficulties are more likely to screw you over on stage events that can instantly kill your run. I forget which game it was but I had to pretty much memorize the stage events and rush over to do X or save Y officer.
This is every stage in DW3XL on Very Hard, including Yellow Turban Rebellion. If you're not the commander (or if there is a second commander), then you'd better not let that commander out of your sight for more than a few minutes once they get into a fight or they'll just keel over dead at the hands of some peon.

Takoluka posted:

In fairness, I also know exactly what happens when I hit Lu Bu's daughter, so I have to at least make the commander think I tried.
Okay, bad example :v:

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
I don't remember if the earlier games did it, but I got pretty annoyed at the stages that have fire events where you're taking damage over time until the entire event plays out and have to frantically ride around the stage finding meat buns.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

lmao

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

KingShiro posted:

I don't remember if the earlier games did it, but I got pretty annoyed at the stages that have fire events where you're taking damage over time until the entire event plays out and have to frantically ride around the stage finding meat buns.
I might be wrong but I think that sort of thing was introduced in DW4, and even then it was only some stage-specific events that can be prevented, such as Bowanpo (Zhao Yun luring Wei forces into a forest only for Shu to set the loving thing ablaze). Chibi on the other hand would play out as normal and you could happily plod around Cao Cao's burning fleet with no ill effect.

Although this "fire = health drain" thing is far more common now, it's also less of an issue in newer games which allow you to apply weapon attributes that will recover health by simply beating the poo poo out of mooks :buddy:

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Still, compare this to the merciless blood-frenzied demons that are DW3 peons. Especially the loving archers.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

BlazetheInferno posted:

Still, compare this to the merciless blood-frenzied demons that are DW3 peons. Especially the loving archers.

Hahahaha, I'm reliving trauma

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I played like ten hours of All Stars on the weekend

I dunno what's wrong with me sometimes

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I've been playing warriors orochi 3 and I had forgotten the sheer extent of the IPs involved in the crossover, I'm still half holding out hope that douglas macarthur or george washington might show up

Does 4 add even more, or do they scale it back at all?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Ainsley McTree posted:

I've been playing warriors orochi 3 and I had forgotten the sheer extent of the IPs involved in the crossover, I'm still half holding out hope that douglas macarthur or george washington might show up

Does 4 add even more, or do they scale it back at all?

They scaled it back unfortunately, as well as adding the magic attacks, which I feel hurts the gameplay loop too.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

4 vanilla scaled it back to just DW/SW/Greece because they thought that's what people wanted for some reason. Ultimate brought back Hayabusa, Achilles and Joan of Arc but as far as crossover stuff that's it

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Allarion posted:

They scaled it back unfortunately, as well as adding the magic attacks, which I feel hurts the gameplay loop too.

Nuts. I was hoping they'd go full smash brothers and lean into it even harder, but I'll play it anyway

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

BlazetheInferno posted:

Shinjobi posted:

Hahahaha, I'm reliving trauma

https://i.imgur.com/IpZX4ew.mp4

:shepicide:

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

So, you have chosen... death.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
It's not much of a choice: this happens for both Wu and Wei. The other side always has an ambush of archers., and you cannot dodge it or avoid triggering it.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Been replaying DW4 on a whim lately. I really miss this series, but it does feel like no single game quite has every feature I'd want in a DW game, though 8XL comes drat close. Does the Switch version of that suck? I'd kind of like to play that on the bus/train/toilet.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I remember enjoying 4 a lot at first until I realized every side has more or less the exact same story with only a few character-specific missions. At least I think that was the issue.

One of the reasons I played 5 as much as I did--just wanted to see all the goofy stages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Been replaying DW4 on a whim lately. I really miss this series, but it does feel like no single game quite has every feature I'd want in a DW game, though 8XL comes drat close. Does the Switch version of that suck? I'd kind of like to play that on the bus/train/toilet.

Shinjobi posted:

I remember enjoying 4 a lot at first until I realized every side has more or less the exact same story with only a few character-specific missions. At least I think that was the issue.
One of the reasons I played 5 as much as I did--just wanted to see all the goofy stages.
Of all the PS2 entries I still find myself drawn toward 3XL the most; the terrible acting is one glorious highlight, but the scale-of-viciousness when it comes to each type of mook and the general map design just has it edging ahead of the other two games -- DW6 doesn't count for anything and doesn't matter either :colbert:

DW4's crimes were the atrocious "weapon experience" system (in turn removing the 'random attributes' to basic weapons, so everyone was all equally hosed with impossibly lovely weapon power for several battles... in a game where everyone in any kingdom shared the same story which in itself was a bit crap) and the maps frequently having a tedious E/W or N/S symmetry to them.

The worst offense however was how smaller battlefields were often just trimmed-down versions of larger battlefields:

Despite the good things that this entry brought to the table (i.e. separate item slots for equipping a saddle, horses being not-poo poo, elemental effects now being equippable orbs instead of a fixed weapon attribute, aerial charge attacks), the mapping department were clearly out to lunch and the game's lifespan suffered for it. DW5 went back to the good weapon system of DW3 and had better maps than DW4 for sure, but you got the fourth weapon for a character and unfortunately, that was it -- 5XL didn't give us a 5th weapon for some reason, so you'd go into this expansion all geared-up to go hunting for superpowered weapons, only to actually acquire some less-than-useful gimmicky items.

Booooo.

Bloodly posted:

It's not much of a choice: this happens for both Wu and Wei. The other side always has an ambush of archers., and you cannot dodge it or avoid triggering it.

You can avoid it by not going anywhere near the stupid little lake thing just south of the castle HQ, though this is made semi-tricky depending on which character you pick -- as seen in the clip, Lu Bu starts right by the poxy lovely thing if you're fighting for Wei, and while it's still possible to avoid, it's likely that you'll immediately go rushing forward ASAP (hey, this is s Musou game after all) and have all your fun ruined within the first five seconds of battle.

Even if the enemy commander starts there (e.g. Sun Ce in 3XL when you select Dong Zhuo's Forces), you can still make the the bastard move out toward your commander (or you) by killing every other enemy general on the map, once again avoiding the absolute most horrible archer ambush in all of Dynasty Warriors.

Edit:
But if you play as Meng Huo on Zhu Rong's scenario at He Fei Castle, you start there yourself and immediately trigger the ambush before anything else can even begin. Jesus Christ.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 17, 2022