Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

BioEnchanted posted:

Or the bizarre decision to ADR her with her own voice but doing a weird french accent in Elysium.

That was supposed to be a French accent??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I thought she was pretty good in The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane. A film that in itself did not age well for several reasons.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Weirdly, it was Little Man Tate that made me dislike Jodie Foster.

I know it's probably a minority opinion, but that film just seemed to me to be huffing it's own farts about how deep and important it was.

And on Mel Gibson:

He is such a hateful bigot that he once said of his ex wife, (whilst they were married) "Yeah, she is a wonderful person, and a good Christian. She loves God and cares for people. She is a better person than I am. But because she is not the exact right sort as Catholic as I am, she is going to hell." And I am only slightly paraphrasing.

I feel guilty for liking his recent grumpy old man Santa movie, (but it does have Walton Goggins in it being awesome). Apparently there is a new grumpy old violent Santa movie coming out with David Harbour, so maybe t hat will wash the taste of Mel from my mouth.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

run on sentience posted:

What did Jodie Foster do that I should dislike her for? I half-assed googled and couldn't find anything.

Friends with Mel Gibson.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

BrigadierSensible posted:

Weirdly, it was Little Man Tate that made me dislike Jodie Foster.

I know it's probably a minority opinion, but that film just seemed to me to be huffing it's own farts about how deep and important it was.

And on Mel Gibson:

He is such a hateful bigot that he once said of his ex wife, (whilst they were married) "Yeah, she is a wonderful person, and a good Christian. She loves God and cares for people. She is a better person than I am. But because she is not the exact right sort as Catholic as I am, she is going to hell." And I am only slightly paraphrasing.

I feel guilty for liking his recent grumpy old man Santa movie, (but it does have Walton Goggins in it being awesome). Apparently there is a new grumpy old violent Santa movie coming out with David Harbour, so maybe t hat will wash the taste of Mel from my mouth.

Kurt Russel has some really fun Rough Santa (although while his santa is a little rough he's also a fundamentally kind person) movies in the Christmas Chronicles duology. At least I thought that they were entertaining. I don't know if Russel is a pos though, don't know his politics, just that I have fun watching him as an actor. He was also great in Sky High. Really funny.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

Kurt Russel has some really fun Rough Santa (although while his santa is a little rough he's also a fundamentally kind person) movies in the Christmas Chronicles duology. At least I thought that they were entertaining. I don't know if Russel is a pos though, don't know his politics, just that I have fun watching him as an actor. He was also great in Sky High. Really funny.

He's a libertarian or something.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Not surprised. That's not good, but it's not as bad as Mel Gibson's outward bigotry at least.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Gibson’s a member of Opus Dei, which is a sect of Catholicism that probably should have been excommunicated a while ago. This is mostly for boring church politics reasons, but they also happen to be gigantic shitheads

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

thetoughestbean posted:

Gibson’s a member of Opus Dei, which is a sect of Catholicism that probably should have been excommunicated a while ago. This is mostly for boring church politics reasons, but they also happen to be gigantic shitheads

As opposed to the rest of the Vatican Church?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Alhazred posted:

As opposed to the rest of the Vatican Church?

Bigger shitheads than the rest, yes

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

BioEnchanted posted:

Not surprised. That's not good, but it's not as bad as Mel Gibson's outward bigotry at least.

I went over this extensively in the irrationally irritating movie moments thread, he’s a libertarian, very pro cop- pro- death penalty, found the idea of an ecological message in the film Deepwater Horizon repugnant and thought the villain president in Escape From LA was a left winger.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

All this Mel Gibson talk means I am obliged to post this video. It is twenty minutes of your life you will not regret losing. It may be my favourite video on YouTube, and I've seen like eight or nine YouTube videos.

https://youtu.be/2UoHb0ziMDA

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

IshmaelZarkov posted:

All this Mel Gibson talk means I am obliged to post this video. It is twenty minutes of your life you will not regret losing. It may be my favourite video on YouTube, and I've seen like eight or nine YouTube videos.

https://youtu.be/2UoHb0ziMDA

I 100% knew what this was going to be before I clicked on it.
Absolute classic stuff.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I rewatched Ghostbusters for the first time in 20 years or so last night and Jesus christ that movie aged like absolute rear end. Bill Murray's character is a huge loving creep who Signourney Weaver inexplicably likes despite catching on to his creepiness immediately, there is a weird ghost blow job scene, the jokes are almost all flat, terrible, or both, and everything is just all around uncomfortable.

Even small bits like how at the end, Murray is just barely covered by the marshmallow jizz while everyone else is drenched, in case you somehow missed who was the real protagonist. It's just a bad movie with almost no redeeming qualities and I actually wonder how it was as popular as it was. I'm cutting myself slack for liking it that long ago because I was a kid, but still, I had terrible taste apparently.

E: some of the special effects aren't too bad especially for the era. Giant marshmallow man was pretty funny and looked decent. And while it is kind of cringy, it's also not bad watching Weaver ham it up.

Ravenfood has a new favorite as of 14:05 on Oct 11, 2022

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Ravenfood posted:

I rewatched Ghostbusters for the first time in 20 years or so last night and Jesus christ that movie aged like absolute rear end. Bill Murray's character is a huge loving creep who Signourney Weaver inexplicably likes despite catching on to his creepiness immediately, there is a weird ghost blow job scene, the jokes are almost all flat, terrible, or both, and everything is just all around uncomfortable.

Even small bits like how at the end, Murray is just barely covered by the marshmallow jizz while everyone else is drenched, in case you somehow missed who was the real protagonist. It's just a bad movie with almost no redeeming qualities and I actually wonder how it was as popular as it was. I'm cutting myself slack for liking it that long ago because I was a kid, but still, I had terrible taste apparently.

We rewatched it earlier this year before watching the new one. There are still buts and pieces that I like of the first two, but there are tons of rough spots, including how much of a creep Murray's character is.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Torquemada posted:

I went over this extensively in the irrationally irritating movie moments thread, he’s a libertarian, very pro cop- pro- death penalty, found the idea of an ecological message in the film Deepwater Horizon repugnant and thought the villain president in Escape From LA was a left winger.

Lolol

A deep-drilling crude oil platform blows up and our heroes must escape, classic man vs. machine, man vs. nature poo poo.

No, hubris has no place in this narrative. You lefty gently caress. This is a self-contained narrative that does not reflect on anything greater than itself.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
I rewatched scarface for the first time in a while last night. The first time I watched it was in 2003 and while it was obviously dated at the time, it didn't feel like a super old movie or something and it still hit with its intended impact. Twenty years later it might as well have ragtime music playing behind it it feels so dated in every way imaginable

The fun part is that for a movie built on top of this reputation of being absolutely brutal and harrowing, it's one of the campiest god drat movies I've ever seen as an adult. How deadly serious it (and a sizeable chunk of its fanbase) seems to think it is compared to how unbelievably hokey and melodramatic it is makes it, weirdly enough, way funnier to me than many of the actual beloved comedies to come out of the 80s. It doesn't hurt that the few intentional jokes in the movie all land with perfect comedic timing.

It definitely aged really poorly, but as a piece of entertainment it holds up for all the reasons it didn't intend to

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

jjack229 posted:

We rewatched it earlier this year before watching the new one. There are still buts and pieces that I like of the first two, but there are tons of rough spots, including how much of a creep Murray's character is.

The thing that struck me about Ghostbusters is how Murray is legitimately very funny in it, but everybody else in the movie plays it completely straight, so when he cracks wise it just falls to the floor like a lead balloon because nobody reacts.

I can kind of understand in an intellectual way how it’s important for blending sci-fi and comedy in a novel way, but as somebody who didn't grow up with it Ghostbusters' popularity kind of baffles me.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Ghostbusters was popular because everyone wanted to bang Slimer

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The cartoon was great.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
"Listen! Do you smell something?" goes a long way.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Ghostbusters has always sat in a weird place for me, mostly because of the labour divide it presents. Aykroyd's character makes a comment before they open their business that he doesn't want to lose his public funding because they expect results in the private sector, yet when they open their business their main clientele is private interests.

There's also their interactions with "dickless" from the city. Yes, they proved that he was wrong to shut their system down, but he was also presented with the reality that they were using extremely unsafe nuclear materials in the middle of NYC. Whether or not you have a grudge, I imagine most inspectors would rightfully freak the gently caress out and want to shut that down before something goes tits up and an entire neighbourhood gets irradiated. It also doesn't help that he continues to be insulted by the busters just for doing his job.

I like to think if Egon was the one that did the talking, they could've resolved the situation peacefully, instead we have Venkman just being an rear end in a top hat to everyone

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Ghostbusters is a movie that isn’t very good but inexplicably is regarded by most as a classic (Ex: The Fifth Element) but what it did contribute to society is that it let us know busting feels good.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Just rewatched Ghostbusters last night as well. I had the exact same reaction to Weaver’s character’s interactions with Murray. She does a complete 180 from calling him out for being sleazy to acting all overwhelmed with his charm because he refuses to leave her apartment. It makes 0 sense.

The rest of the movie is fine. Some funny parts and some iconic scenes, especially the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man. But otherwise a mediocre comedy that is probably more iconic because of the theme song, costumes, and rememberable ghosts than for the plot and comedy elements.

Edit: Also this:

oldpainless posted:

but what it did contribute to society is that it let us know busting feels good.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Ghostbusters is pretty emblematic of a lot of 80s comedies; on paper it sounds like dog poo poo, but it's carried entirely by the innate charisma of its cast. Something like Back to the Future doesn't sound good at all if you just describe it, but when you've got Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd et al. delivering the material, it sings.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

That bustin' reference does make me wonder how much of the movie's staying power is that kickass song

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
A shitload of nostalgia for Ghostbusters is really nostalgia for The Real Ghostbusters IMO.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Aces High posted:

Ghostbusters has always sat in a weird place for me, mostly because of the labour divide it presents. Aykroyd's character makes a comment before they open their business that he doesn't want to lose his public funding because they expect results in the private sector, yet when they open their business their main clientele is private interests.

There's also their interactions with "dickless" from the city. Yes, they proved that he was wrong to shut their system down, but he was also presented with the reality that they were using extremely unsafe nuclear materials in the middle of NYC. Whether or not you have a grudge, I imagine most inspectors would rightfully freak the gently caress out and want to shut that down before something goes tits up and an entire neighbourhood gets irradiated. It also doesn't help that he continues to be insulted by the busters just for doing his job.

I like to think if Egon was the one that did the talking, they could've resolved the situation peacefully, instead we have Venkman just being an rear end in a top hat to everyone

Like you say, it's weird. Venkman escalates the situation by deliberately antagonizing him but his instinct that letting him see their setup would put them all out of a job is correct. There is no resolution here, there would have been better stalling tactics than just being a spiteful dick but none of the ghostbusters would really have been equipped to fight a bureaucratic legal battle (Egon is brilliant but clearly out of his depth when it comes to topics beyond his scientific expertise.)

Rochallor posted:

The thing that struck me about Ghostbusters is how Murray is legitimately very funny in it, but everybody else in the movie plays it completely straight, so when he cracks wise it just falls to the floor like a lead balloon because nobody reacts.

I can kind of understand in an intellectual way how it’s important for blending sci-fi and comedy in a novel way, but as somebody who didn't grow up with it Ghostbusters' popularity kind of baffles me.

See, to me this is the appeal. There is the odd cringey moment or two where Murray's just cramming in too many throwaway jokes, the movie would have benefited if they had dialed him back like 5%, but I love the genre bending and the constant peppering of blink-and-you'll-miss-it jokes. And Murray might be doing the heavy lifting but Rick Moranis also gives a great comic performance in the same vein.

I do agree that the lasting appeal of the movie is 110% the cartoon. The movie was a deadpan comedy about unlikely heroes doing a nonsensical job but that's not the legacy that it left behind, it's not what Ghostbusters fans remember it as and it's not what they want follow-ups to be.

the holy poopacy has a new favorite as of 15:46 on Apr 20, 2023

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Phylodox posted:

Ghostbusters is pretty emblematic of a lot of 80s comedies; on paper it sounds like dog poo poo, but it's carried entirely by the innate charisma of its cast. Something like Back to the Future doesn't sound good at all if you just describe it, but when you've got Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd et al. delivering the material, it sings.

I re-watched Conan the Barbarian the other week while folding laundry, and I realised that what really carries the film is James Earl Jones and Max von Sydow acting the gently caress out of some otherwise mediocre parts.

The whole 'flesh is stronger' sequence is easily one of my favourite bits of film acting.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I thought it sucked when the old Ghostbusters cartoon shifted from gnarly adventures to just Ray and Slimer getting into hijinks.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

“Yes, it’s true. This man has no dick.” is an all timer.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

oldpainless posted:

Ghostbusters is a movie that isn’t very good but inexplicably is regarded by most as a classic (Ex: The Fifth Element) but what it did contribute to society is that it let us know busting feels good.

I think a little relativism explains it: it’s an absolutely stupendous film in its category compared to everything else available in late 1984. I’d venture the people who consider it a classic are people like me, middle aged, middle class, white, with disproportionately influential opinions.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
In general, the part that gets me the worst about Ghostbusters these days is not Venkman (who's a creep, but never actually does anything physically even when presented with the opportunity) so much as it is the whole sex-demon-possession-rape thing that just sort of gets glossed over. It's really gross and over-the-top, and seems especially gratuitous since the other demon dog is presented as being completely alien and incomprehensible and is off babbling about Torbs and Sloars while the "female" one is just obsessed with getting its human host hosed.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Phylodox posted:

I disagree. kid goes back in time and learns his stuck up mom was actually a cool teen is a great concept

Maybe could have done without her wanting to gently caress him, that was weird

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

mandatory lesbian posted:

I disagree. kid goes back in time and learns his stuck up mom was actually a cool teen is a great concept

Maybe could have done without her wanting to gently caress him, that was weird

To be fair they handled that in the best way they could

"it was like kissing my brother."

Elissimpark posted:

I re-watched Conan the Barbarian the other week while folding laundry, and I realised that what really carries the film is James Earl Jones and Max von Sydow acting the gently caress out of some otherwise mediocre parts.

The whole 'flesh is stronger' sequence is easily one of my favourite bits of film acting.

Conan is probably my favorite fantasy film, and it absolutely needed more stuff.

Genuinely think Arnold did a fair job for his first really serious attempt and the movie has a very epic, sprawling feel to it. What limits it is budget more than anything.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Aces High posted:

I mean that seems like the basically canon read, yes. It's a recurring thing with Venkman in adaptations that he gets them in as much trouble as he gets them out of by not shutting his yap.

Phylodox posted:

Has come up that they never actually explain why a teenage boy and an eccentric old inventor are close friends- they did in the script, but the actors just nailed the chemistry so well they rightly felt they didn't need to.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Brawnfire posted:

Ghostbusters was popular because everyone wanted to bang Slimer

Obviously, you saw how many hot dogs he could fit in his mouth.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The original glizzy guzzler.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
In Ghostbusters, the guy who becomes the Keymaster locks himself out of his apartment every single time he's shown exiting it. Venkman calling back to the librarian ghost when he says "well go get her Ray" when Gozer arrives. It has a dense onion of clever little jokes like those to go with the more surface level stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

CJacobs posted:

The original glizzy guzzler.

Sadly he could never be the throat Goat without a throat