Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

These gold kiwis are pretty drat good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'm pretty sure I got the shepherd's pie this year and I was very unimpressed for it being $20 (here).

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Head Bee Guy posted:

the 32 degree base layer is about what i expected for the price. I wouldn’t want to rely on the 32degree bases if i was on the trail or exposed to properly sub-freezing temps. Better than nothing, but merino base layers are truly exceptional. The problem is that smartwool is not priced competitively with costco; it’s like $150 for a set of the midrange.

I've worn the 32Degrees base layers on backpacking trips where its dipped below freezing. Obviously merino would've been better (but also heavier and many times more expensive), but they got the job done. I got some of their "heavyweight" base layers off their site last year and those are really fantastic, but it looks like they only have the top so far this year.

large hands posted:

They have the 100% Merino base layer parts for around $40 Canadian here, cloud veil brand I believe. And the merino blend pieces are around $20.

Super annoyed this is only in Canada. We only have socks and some mediocre hats for Merino clothing in the states.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I literally have like 20 pair of the costco merino wool socks. I wear them year round.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

looks like the meal of kings if you ask me

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
The wealth on display is almost gauche, they’re simply going to THROW AWAY the plate when the feast is complete. Oh, to be a king.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

i wish costco had cool ranch doritos

i wish doritos mad a nacho cheese/cool range combo

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

They sometimes do I think. They recently started carrying the flamin hot ranch doritos instead at my warehouse though

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

saw some cheetos spicy puffs from mexico or whatever. I should try some

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Frito pie piled high

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
the spice blend in mexican cheetos are infinitely better than the US versions.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I think mexican people take cheetos seriously, there is a travel vlogger youtuber guy (Luisito Comunica) I watch sometimes and in most of his visits to various countries he finds time to specifically check out the types of cheetos on sale.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Alan Smithee posted:

i wish doritos mad a nacho cheese/cool range combo

Costco business centers have big boxes of single chip flavors if you’re near one.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Costco business centers have big boxes of single chip flavors if you’re near one.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

oh you said single flavors ive only ever seen the multipack with the poo poo i dont need like fritos

ill eat fritos like once every 10 years

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Best party dip:

Combine packet Lipton onion soup mix with one container sour cream. Bowl of fritos.

You are welcome.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Best party dip:

20 costco hot dogs (with bun) blended into a paste

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Chinatown posted:

Best party dip:

Combine packet Lipton onion soup mix with one container sour cream. Bowl of fritos.

You are welcome.

Alternative use for onion soup mix; mix it into your ground beef (70/30) and use it to make burgers

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Block of cream cheese with salsa dumped on top. So simple but never tried it till I went to some party in my early 30s. Game changing as far as dips go.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

For those kid havers out there, what are some good baby shower gifts? As in, what stuff did you find to be the most useful or whatever. Supposedly the kirkland diapers are pretty good?

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

For those kid havers out there, what are some good baby shower gifts? As in, what stuff did you find to be the most useful or whatever. Supposedly the kirkland diapers are pretty good?

Wipes too, don’t get the smallest size diapers. They grow out of them quick and everyone gives those as shower gifts. Go a size or 2 up so they have something to grow into.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
Wipes are great well into kindergarten. At some point you stop using them on they butts and start using them on faces & hands.

My kid is a teenager and I’ll still instinctively reach for the wipes in the car from time to time, even though there haven’t been wipes in there for a decade.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
When do you think the last time somebody made onion soup was with that mix

E;ftfy:

a sexual elk posted:

Block of cream cheese with salsa pepper jelly dumped on top. So simple but never tried it till I went to some party in my early 30s. Game changing as far as dips go.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

fischtick posted:

Wipes are great well into kindergarten. At some point you stop using them on they butts and start using them on faces & hands.

My kid is a teenager and I’ll still instinctively reach for the wipes in the car from time to time, even though there haven’t been wipes in there for a decade.

Are the bad reviews on the wipes something to be concerned about or is it just a case of someone getting a bad batch? It looks costco changed the formula on them in the past year or so...
https://www.costco.com/kirkland-signature-baby-wipes-fragrance-free,-900-count.product.100801219.html

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

No issues here with my kid who’s still in diapers

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

a sexual elk posted:

Block of cream cheese with salsa cocktail sauce and chopped shrimp or surimi dumped on top.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
Brand new Costco member as of last night. I picked up those pupusas and a bunch of stuff to air fry. Pupusas were solid for lunch this morning – 2 of them was too much though for a single meal.

What are the hot tips / tricks for getting the most out of my membership? We need a wine fridge – heard Costco was good for that. Do different locations have wildly different things? For some reason I couldn't find any iced tea at mine last night.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Putting the pupusa in the pan for a little crisp was a good move, ate it with the wildbrine saurkraut that was on sale at costco this week as a curtido substitute

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

unpurposed posted:

What are the hot tips / tricks for getting the most out of my membership? We need a wine fridge – heard Costco was good for that. Do different locations have wildly different things? For some reason I couldn't find any iced tea at mine last night.

Costcos in the same region tend to have the same stuff unless you've got a strong ethnic neighborhood nearby which could drive more specific product to that community.

You'll find that products (like iced tea) that aren't "full on always in stock" items will come and go. Iced tea is a nice example as mine started carrying Pure Leaf in 18 bottle packs about 2 months ago and I'm anticipating them going out of stock again soon (so I'm stocking up!).

You gotta pounce on products you find that you like. Clothing and non-staple foods are big rotators so go back the next day to grab more that you like and/or fit well.

You'll get the biggest everyday value out of staples that you go completely through before they go bad (eggs and other dairy, fresh stuff) as they're waaaay cheaper and/or of higher quality at the 'Co. Frozen stuff is always a great value so long as you can store it (chest freezer helps here).

And then it'll always be there as an option for big purchases like TVs, other appliances, and tires. Here the biggest value comes in knowing you're getting a good price (but maybe not the best) for very little effort.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe

Thwomp posted:

Costcos in the same region tend to have the same stuff unless you've got a strong ethnic neighborhood nearby which could drive more specific product to that community.

You'll find that products (like iced tea) that aren't "full on always in stock" items will come and go. Iced tea is a nice example as mine started carrying Pure Leaf in 18 bottle packs about 2 months ago and I'm anticipating them going out of stock again soon (so I'm stocking up!).

You gotta pounce on products you find that you like. Clothing and non-staple foods are big rotators so go back the next day to grab more that you like and/or fit well.

You'll get the biggest everyday value out of staples that you go completely through before they go bad (eggs and other dairy, fresh stuff) as they're waaaay cheaper and/or of higher quality at the 'Co. Frozen stuff is always a great value so long as you can store it (chest freezer helps here).

And then it'll always be there as an option for big purchases like TVs, other appliances, and tires. Here the biggest value comes in knowing you're getting a good price (but maybe not the best) for very little effort.

This is really helpful, thank you! I didn't know about any of these.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I'm pretty sure I got the shepherd's pie this year and I was very unimpressed for it being $20 (here).

I literally had a shepard's pie in the oven last night when you posted this.

Based on the binned up leftovers, we're getting seven servings out of the thing for about $19. I had leftovers for lunch today and it tasted more flavorful than last night, but just in general it's a pretty bland recipe. Off the top of my head it would benefit greatly from Worcestershire sauce, additional pepper, and an acid like lemon or lime. Maybe some sour cream.

marcopolo
Oct 24, 2010

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Anyone try these pupusas?

We found them tasty, both air-fried and heated up in a nonstick pan.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
You would think my consolation prize for my Kentucky white bread Costco not having Two G Kim Chi and those pupusas would be the Kirkland bourbon but they ship it out to all you fuckers instead

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

Soul Dentist posted:

You would think my consolation prize for my Kentucky white bread Costco not having Two G Kim Chi and those pupusas would be the Kirkland bourbon but they ship it out to all you fuckers instead

We have that here in Michigan, along with Kirkland tequila, vodka, and rum.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Yeah all the other stuff is just generic trash. The bourbon was bottled in bond (or single barrel) and made by folks twenty minutes away from me. Kentucky already has one extractive industry! Don't make bourbon the same!

E: I post a lot about the bourbon in the thread! Don't read my post history! I'm not mad!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Soul Dentist posted:

Yeah all the other stuff is just generic trash. The bourbon was bottled in bond (or single barrel) and made by folks twenty minutes away from me. Kentucky already has one extractive industry! Don't make bourbon the same!

E: I post a lot about the bourbon in the thread! Don't read my post history! I'm not mad!

I've got 4-6 bottles each of the small batch, bottled in bond, and single barrel. It's like all I want to drink now.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Guh Mr. Kirkland why have you forsaken me?!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I just popped a tire

I’m at my car brand service center but I’m close to a Costco. I’ve never been to the tire center but what are the odds they would even have a replacement tire for me? How long are the auto services

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I literally have like 20 pair of the costco merino wool socks. I wear them year round.

yeah same. they’re some of the few socks that don’t hurt my feet after a couple hours. Even big-n-tall socks just aren’t very satisfactory for me but the Costco merino ones do great, super soft. Still love to take them off at the end of a day, but, they’re not actively painful after a couple hours like generic ones.

(in hindsight I’m realizing this is probably a sensory issue thing.)

I used thorlos boot socks for a lot of years before this and they’re nice enough socks but expensive ($12 a pair?) and not all that durable, couple years tops and they have holes. So after someone here recommended the merino socks and after trying and liking them I stocked up, have like a dozen pair and then another 6 pack unopened in my drawer. With how picky I am about socks I am more than happy to jump on it when I see something I like.

I heard they changed them recently, no idea which type I’ve got but it was probably 2019 or 2020 when I switched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Alan Smithee posted:

I just popped a tire

I’m at my car brand service center but I’m close to a Costco. I’ve never been to the tire center but what are the odds they would even have a replacement tire for me? How long are the auto services

AFAIK they only do sets of four tires. Getting anything less means you don't get any warranty.

Also, the tire center smells really really good inside