Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
I genuinely had a hard time internalizing the concept of gaslighting until this recent widespread notion that schools aren't a vector for disease transmission sprung up out of nowhere, mostly as a reason to not have COVID restrictions. That seems utterly, blindingly obviously wrong based on any parents experience with sending their kids to daycare / school the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

enki42 posted:

I genuinely had a hard time internalizing the concept of gaslighting until this recent widespread notion that schools aren't a vector for disease transmission sprung up out of nowhere, mostly as a reason to not have COVID restrictions. That seems utterly, blindingly obviously wrong based on any parents experience with sending their kids to daycare / school the first time.

Yeah, pretty much everyone I talk to who has kids talk about all the disease their children bring home from school/daycare. As a teacher, I can very much confirm getting sick multiple times a school year pre-Covid.

(I don’t get sick anymore bc I wear an N95.)

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium
The lice thing was already changing pre COVID. Legitimately not a really a health hazard other than the “ick” factor and legit questions around cost of stigmatization and missing out in education while home.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Do schools still do scoliosis screening? That seems more psychologically damaging than lice checks. But so does making children shower together, I guess.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Not America, but I think kids here have to get checked for any strange bends in their spine. They bend over for about 3 seconds.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

The AAP isn’t a nonpartisan organization, if such a thing even exists, so as a teacher I’m for quarantining children with parasites.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
How was everyone's new COVID booster for the new variants? I need to get mine and the flu one, but also still need to take care of the kid at home and getting to and from school, so I'm wondering if I want to purposefully plan it around a Thursday or Friday so I can have the weekend if it lays me out.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

PageMaster posted:

How was everyone's new COVID booster for the new variants? I need to get mine and the flu one, but also still need to take care of the kid at home and getting to and from school, so I'm wondering if I want to purposefully plan it around a Thursday or Friday so I can have the weekend if it lays me out.

Made me woozy for about 16 hours but otherwise it was smooth sailing compared to prior doses.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

PageMaster posted:

After having hangover-esque side effects from every previous shot, this one for whatever reason gave me literally no side effects other than a sore arm

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You

Riptor posted:

After having hangover-esque side effects from every previous shot, this one for whatever reason gave me literally no side effects other than a sore arm

Same. Brief exhaustion and fatigue but that honestly might have been from poor sleep. I was anxious about the side effects so that may have kept me up.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

PageMaster posted:

The place I got the first 3 Moderna shots didn't have Moderna booster, but did have Pfizer. Unlike the 2nd and 3rd Moderna shots I did not get horrible nausea in the whole 12 to 24 hour post shot period, though I did get a bad headache still. My shoulder seemed sore for longer on the day of the shot but otherwise very similar to the older Moderna booster, I was making an effort to move my arm/shoulder a lot both right after the shot but also for the rest of the day.

A week later I was looking in the mirror and noticed I had a silver dollar sized dull yellowish bruise where I got the shot. It's almost 2 weeks after I got the shot and the bruise is still there, more dull. I don't think this is one of the serious complications, maybe just rare.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

PageMaster posted:

Shots 2, 3, and 4 all kicked my rear end for a day. Fever, shivering chills, and overall body discomfort. The bivalent booster was about 75% as bad, still had a fever and chills, but no shivering. And my arm didn't get sore, so that was nice.
Edit: Shots were Pfizer #1 & #2, full size Moderna for #3, Moderna booster for #4, Moderna bivalent for #5.

jetz0r fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Oct 5, 2022

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

PageMaster posted:

I got bivalent Moderna about ten days ago, and my reaction was similar to my prior Moderna booster, but not quite as intense. I still had significant fatigue for a day, and a low grade headache at times. And mild pain right around the injection site.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

jetz0r posted:

Shots 2, 3, and 4 all kicked my rear end for a day. Fever, shivering chills, and overall body discomfort. The bivalent booster was about 75% as bad, still had a fever and chills, but no shivering. And my arm didn't get sore, so that was nice.

Shot 4 (bivalent) Pfizer was easily the worst: fever and fatigue for about 24 hours, starting a few hours after the shot. I got both it and the flu shot at the same time. Arm soreness ended as quickly, though, unlike my previous Pfizer shots. I accidently got Moderna as my first booster, the one before this last one, and it caused by far the mildest reaction.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Absolutely no side effects. A slightly sore injection site the next day but that was it

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I had Moderna for my initial run and booster, and they left me feeling vaguely tired but not in a way I would have really noticed had I wasn’t on the lookout for side effects. My bivalent Pfizer booster caused my arm to swell up like a golf ball and left me in the most pain I’ve experienced in years. I got it over a week ago and I still have a bruise.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

All 4 of my shots absolutely hosed me up for 36-48 hours.

I think I’ve built up enough time in bed karma for the next 6 shots to have no effect on me.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Got it with the flu shot , just sore arms around the injection area. Didn’t notice anything else that wouldn’t easily be attributed to sleep , work hours , etc

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Shot 1 was whatever
Shot 2 I felt achy and tired with a headache the next day
The booster kicked in after like 20 hours and I spent the next 20 in bed with chills, fever, headache, and muscle aches
The bivalent booster suffering was similar to the booster but it started faster (like 4 hours) and I also was better faster (after 24 hours).

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
I’ve had strong reactions to each shot, and it only seems to have gotten worse

1 really sore arm, slight fatigue
2 sore arm, bad fatigue for 12 hours
3 (booster 1) sore arm, tired 24 hours, headache
4 (bivalent) arm wasn’t as bad but felt like full on flu for 48 hours (bad headache, sweats, fatigue)

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Shots 3 and 4 for me had literally no effect other than a sore arm. Shot 5 (bivalent, but BA.1) was pretty intense fatigue.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I know all the previous variants have been described as vaccine escaping to various degrees, but is this XBB thing so much more so in that regard?

https://twitter.com/yunlong_cao/status/1577343564572659712?t=gL74Op2MQuB7Pc2KgKhh_A&s=19

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Hard to know because that study only deals with CoronaVac. Doubt it will completely escape vaccines though.

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010
Is there any variant of real concern up and coming? I used to follow this kind of news religiously until beginning of 2022, but have been out of the loop since then.

Edit: is this article accurate, or sensationalistic? https://www.salon.com/2022/10/04/bq1-xbb-variants-resistant/

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

AndreTheGiantBoned posted:

Is there any variant of real concern up and coming? I used to follow this kind of news religiously until beginning of 2022, but have been out of the loop since then.

Edit: is this article accurate, or sensationalistic? https://www.salon.com/2022/10/04/bq1-xbb-variants-resistant/
I don't have a lot of time to dig into more depth but skimming that article the research referenced hasn't been peer reviewed so take it with a grain of salt and see what other studies find and what the spread of the variants looks like. Also, the Salon article focuses on infection, antibody treatments and evasion of neutralizing antibodies. Someone might check if the research referenced is an in vitro antibody binding study. Which is to say, if the findings are accurate you might have a variant that will more easily infect vaccinated and previously infected people, but we don't really have any idea of the protection against severe disease conferred.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 6, 2022

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
ba5 is still the main jam in america

maybe people were waiting for october to re-up on the newest shot, but i'm doubtful.

fully prepared for another dec/jan spike like the last two years but this time it won't get any news coverage and it'll just be word of mouth that everyone i know has covid at the same time.

in more optimistic news, as a kn95 masker and covid virgin, i have had 0 illness that wasn't food poisoning in 2.5+ years..turns out hell really was other people..*goes full howard hughes*

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Whatever kills 100k Americans this winter probably doesn't exist yet. Omicron wasn't even detected til mid November and then on GitHub the week before Thanksgiving

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

AndreTheGiantBoned posted:

This Nature news article suggests that the BQ variants might be more immune-evading and transmissible than BA and could take over by November/December, though it is also quoting preprints (including the one discussed in that Salon article). On the one hand, it's Nature promoting its own articles; on the other, you can't really expect papers on new variants to get accepted that quickly, and I have no idea how credible those authors are.

More generally, I have seen far more articles from scientists warning that there's no end in sight than approving of declarations that it's over and that ending all mitigation besides vaccines is a great idea. So far, less than 10 million Americans have gotten bivalent boosters. Based on this poll, uptake is likely to continue to be pathetic, especially amongst Republicans and anyone under 65:

... partly because, as the first two figures show, many people haven't heard much about it, aren't sure if they're eligible, and don't much seem to care either way.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 6, 2022

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

I know that the effectiveness of MABs has declined over time, but is Evushield really not effective anymore? My doctor refused to prescribe it, saying that he doesn't recommend it anymore because the variants have made it less effective - it's a weird whiplash since every appointment up until now has been them talking it up and saying they'll get it to me as soon as they have supply.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

enki42 posted:

I know that the effectiveness of MABs has declined over time, but is Evushield really not effective anymore? My doctor refused to prescribe it, saying that he doesn't recommend it anymore because the variants have made it less effective - it's a weird whiplash since every appointment up until now has been them talking it up and saying they'll get it to me as soon as they have supply.

Evusheld is still effective against the strains subvariants in wide circulation in the United States.

This is widely expected to change in the near future, before the end of the year.

Figure from a recent preprint by Cao et al.

Evusheld is COV2‑2196+2130. Anything with a red box in Evusheld’s column is bad. Some of these strains subvariants have been sequenced in patients in the U.S., but their prevalence is low at this time. No one knows which strain subvariant will dominate (or co‑dominate).

In light of these developments, earlier this week FDA circulated a warning.

quote:

5.3 Risk for COVID-19 Due to SARS-CoV-2 Viral Variants Not Neutralized by EVUSHELD

Certain SARS-CoV-2 viral variants may not be neutralized by monoclonal antibodies such as tixagevimab and cilgavimab, the components of EVUSHELD. EVUSHELD may not be effective at preventing COVID-19 caused by these SARS-CoV-2 viral variants. The in-vitro neutralization activity of EVUSHELD against SARS-CoV-2 viral variants is shown in Table 6 [see Microbiology (12.4)].

Inform individuals of the increased risk, compared to other variants, for COVID-19 due to SARS-CoV- 2 viral variants not neutralized by EVUSHELD. If signs or symptoms of COVID-19 occur, advise individuals to test for COVID-19 and seek medical attention, including starting treatment for COVID- 19 as appropriate. Symptoms of COVID-19 may include: fever or chills, cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, fatigue, muscle or body aches, headache, new loss of taste or smell, sore throat, congestion or runny nose, nausea or vomiting, or diarrhea1.

They’re not concerned that Evusheld will make things worse, but that it may give patients a sense of security that will, in the near future, be a false one.

I think that doctors should still prescribe it, but just today I heard of a doctor prescribing ivermectin for the treatment of COVID‑19, so my expectations for competence are low.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/DataDrivenMD/status/1579127132990865410?t=vuC8XLqqZ0jTU1uZZhmFJw&s=19

Time for the return of the dreaded yankee candle index

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

zer0spunk posted:

ba5 is still the main jam in america

maybe people were waiting for october to re-up on the newest shot, but i'm doubtful.
My wife and I had covid in July, so we aren't supposed to be boosted until next week or so.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

My wife and I had covid in July, so we aren't supposed to be boosted until next week or so.

uh what? Its two months since your last infection. You were eligible awhile ago unless you popped pos on like July 31, in which case you'd have been eligible last week.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Been seeing this type of stuff going around in the EU because of a (supposedly bad) hearing Pfizer just had there. Tweet is just one example, for reference:

https://twitter.com/rob_roos/status/1579759795225198593

Can anyone explain what exactly they're mad about? I seriously don't understand. If the vaccine prevents you from getting infected in the first place, obviously it is preventing further transmission, and obviously it is also helping others :psyduck:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Oracle posted:

uh what? Its two months since your last infection. You were eligible awhile ago unless you popped pos on like July 31, in which case you'd have been eligible last week.
2 months from booster or 3 from infection is the current advice last I checked.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

2 months from booster or 3 from infection is the current advice last I checked.

Nope, 2 months across the board, either last shot or infection. (granted this is the US, your country may be different). Seeing as I got got 7 weeks after my last booster, I'm sticking with the two months.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nosre posted:

If the vaccine prevents you from getting infected in the first place, obviously it is preventing further transmission, and obviously it is also helping others :psyduck:

Mitigating disease isn’t the same as preventing infection and transmission.

quote:

Similarly, researchers in California observed no major differences between vaccinated and unvaccinated individuals in terms of SARS-CoV-2 viral loads in the nasopharynx, even in those with proven asymptomatic infection.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(21)00768-4/fulltext

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Nosre posted:

Been seeing this type of stuff going around in the EU because of a (supposedly bad) hearing Pfizer just had there. Tweet is just one example, for reference:

Can anyone explain what exactly they're mad about? I seriously don't understand. If the vaccine prevents you from getting infected in the first place, obviously it is preventing further transmission, and obviously it is also helping others :psyduck:

The vaccine goal was to reduce mortality and incidence of serious sickness, it does this by helping the body respond to an infection effectively, not by preventing any infection in the first place. It was tested to that goal and the efficacy of preventing transmission was only ever going to be a happy happenstance. Wearing masks was about preventing transmission, taking a vaccine was to prevent you becoming gravely sick or dying.

The likes of WHO or whatever I don't think ever had major campaigns hinging on vaccines for others benefit?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Nosre posted:

I haven't looked into it closely but it's probably one of those technicality things being trumped up by people who either don't understand how research works or are intentionally misrepresenting it, probably the latter.

Yes Pfizer didn't literally test protection against transmission as in they didn't have people with COVID directly cough on both vaccinated and unvaccinated people, nor did they have vaccinated people who did get COVID cough directly on others in a controlled environment. They gave a bunch of people the vaccine, and another bunch of people a placebo they said was the vaccine and it turns out the former had both a massively reduced incidence of COVID and much lower severity if they did contract it.

Which is a roundabout way of figuring that yes it reduces transmission in that within highly vaccinated people less of them are going to get it and spread it around.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Requiring proof of vaccination to work in person, travel, etc. were all approaches that at least implied the focus was on reducing transmission in public spaces and workplaces.