Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Oasx posted:

[RoP] is working on a basic enough story that they can do what they want.

strongly disagree here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Viewers are used to TV shows not coming out on a yearly schedule any more, it happens all the time. Settle down, people

New Mat doesn't look too different from Old Mat, that's good

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Rarity posted:

Viewers are used to TV shows not coming out on a yearly schedule any more, it happens all the time. Settle down, people

i understand that the viewers are treated like cattle, and that it happens all the time now. i'm asking if perhaps the previous standard of 24 episdoes every 12 months was better than 8 episodes every 24 months. no trend analysis here worth exploring? none?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I think something was definitely lost by going to shorter seasons, especially since the main reason for doing so was to have less filler, and for a lot of big prestige shows it has instead meant that filler just takes up a proportionally larger part of the season.
But TV has also changed a lot in the last decade, there are plenty of shows that still do a yearly schedule, but I am not sure if it's actually possible to do it with these expensive shows.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

I don't get why people are so down on the Wheel of Time showrunners. In my opinion, everything I've heard from interviews points that they had a strong vision for the season, but were really hampered by the runtime, studio interference, COVID, and the Mat actor leaving. For example, the worst part of the season to me was the cold open in the pilot, and that was something Amazon forced since they wanted an action scene as the open. If I'm not mistaken, the original pilot script was very different (and like 2 hours long).

I think the only thing in their vision that I'm not a huge fan of is the whole Dragon mystery, but eh, it's fine. It might have worked a lot better if episode 7 was in it's original form, before Mat left.

Edit: I do agree that S2 is where they need to show that without COVID and actors leaving they can nail it.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I figured that dragon stuff was amazon interference as well

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I think overall, despite my problems with season 1 (and I have a lot of them), Im willing to give season 2 a shot. Given all the poo poo that hosed them in season 1 thats all you can really ask for.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I think season 2 has a lot of potential but like I'm a biased source so we'll see.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

i say swears online posted:

I don't know for sure either, but I assumed it was in the original script because it's the central mystery of the season, so structurally important to the pacing.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

It wasn't important in the book!

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I liked S1. It's a low-impact high fantasy adventure, not something I'm going to get in knots about analysing. Although I know that will be very different for people who read the books decades ago and have a lot of prebuilt investment.

It was sometimes corny, is really the only criticism I can remember having. Some of the magic power scenes, mainly. The story seems to be a pretty straightforward heroes vs the dark lord kind of thing but I think criticising it on that level is pointless because it's what the show is aiming for, so you are either up for that or you're not and if you're not there are so many other things to watch instead.

I liked the original Matt so it is a shame he won't be returning but I'm looking forward to S2.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

JOHN SKELETON posted:

I don't get why people are so down on the Wheel of Time showrunners. In my opinion, everything I've heard from interviews points that they had a strong vision for the season, but were really hampered by the runtime, studio interference, COVID, and the Mat actor leaving. For example, the worst part of the season to me was the cold open in the pilot, and that was something Amazon forced since they wanted an action scene as the open. If I'm not mistaken, the original pilot script was very different (and like 2 hours long).

The silly thing there is the book's original prologue (i.e. not the Two Rivers one added later) has at least as much action as the scene they used, and could easily be modified very slightly to include more in a number of ways without compromising the spirit of the scene in the slightest. While also being just much more intriguing as a starting point, and setting up the horror of what the Dragon is to people in the contemporary world of the story.

i say swears online posted:

I hope it is, because it seems like some producer chasing the Game of Thrones bandwagon i.e. "Who'll win the Iron Throne" and/or "Who will win the Game of Thrones"? The Wheel of Time doesn't really trade on that kind of intrigue though, or the twists that made Game of Thrones such compelling watching for a lot of people. There are some shocking scenes during the story, but they have build up and momentum behind them that the audience can see coming and it's just their casual brutality or action that is what's shocking rather than the events themselves coming out of nowhere. If that whole thing was the idea of Rafe Judkins or some of the core creators then it shows a rather cynical streak, or possibly a misunderstanding of the appeal of the story to a lot of people.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

tsob posted:

The silly thing there is the book's original prologue (i.e. not the Two Rivers one added later) has at least as much action as the scene they used, and could easily be modified very slightly to include more in a number of ways without compromising the spirit of the scene in the slightest. While also being just much more intriguing as a starting point, and setting up the horror of what the Dragon is to people in the contemporary world of the story.

I think they're expanding the Lews Therin characters background to build up to the prologue. See him more as a person than just a legend from the past. You could expand on his family, the politics building up to what happens, there are places it can go before the prologue.

Not that I wouldn't be thrilled to see a direct book to screen adaption but they're not doing that so if they're gonna make changes I would like ones that build on what is hinted at from the books instead of stuff like making Nynaeve come from outside of the Two Rivers, for some reason.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I think they're expanding the Lews Therin characters background to build up to the prologue. See him more as a person than just a legend from the past. You could expand on his family, the politics building up to what happens, there are places it can go before the prologue.

Sure, but you don't need to cut the prologue to do that. They're not mutually exclusive. Showing the end of his life doesn't mean you can't occasionally show glimpses of other parts of it. It even serves to give those scenes showing his earlier life some more weight if you know how it ends. Which they showed anyway, if not directly, because it was the story of the first of the Origins shorts they put up as an extra on the Amazon Prime page.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

JOHN SKELETON posted:

I look forward to season 2, i'm just worried about how they are going to do subsequent books when everything is going to get a lot more expensive and complicated from each season on. Hopefully, Amazon is less strict from now on so that the showrunners can do their best.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

TTR isn't backwater in the show and AS are better known, but this is all flirting with spoilers.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i don't think they've learned their lesson considering the S2 teaser talks abut "breaking the Wheel" which is, at the very least, extremely misleading

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

JOHN SKELETON posted:

I think the only thing in their vision that I'm not a huge fan of is the whole Dragon mystery, but eh, it's fine. It might have worked a lot better if episode 7 was in it's original form, before Mat left.

Edit: I do agree that S2 is where they need to show that without COVID and actors leaving they can nail it.
I think a piece of art or entertainment should get judged on what it is, basically. I don't really see how 'the studio pressured the showrunners into implementing bad artistic decisions' or 'the showrunners ploughed on despite COVID and a massive casting issue creating huge problems that bled directly into the quality & integrity of the final product' makes any difference to the actual enjoyment that people should get out of a show. If stuff is messed up or badly done, it's messed up or badly done. vOv

Specifically in relation to studio pressure, I understand that studios can be arseholes but at the same time, if you're making something and your publishers are trying to force you to do it differently and badly, it's a key part of your job to push back against that. The fact the showrunners failed to do that for season 1 isn't somehow a reason why I should like the show despite it being flawed. Nor is it a great sign for the future of the show. Then again, it's also no more than I expected when the guy who's running the show has a pretty meh background/CV.

Perhaps if there had been more pushback from the showrunners, they would've been fired and the end product under someone else's direction would've been 10x worse. Or perhaps the studio would've made concessions. We'll never know.

It's by no means the end of the world that season 1 wasn't very good, it's a little disappointing but it is kind of what I expected prior to it coming out, when I went and looked at what Rafe had done previously.
Wheel of Time is an insane thing to try to adapt, it's got to be one of the most vast and complex single story arc narratives ever I should think. It would have taken some really special and super talented folks to make it a 'great' show; the reason the first few seasons of GoT were awesome is they had some serious writing, directing and acting chops making them, they had a great story which they adapted relatively closely (making changes for the different medium but not thinking they could just outright rip apart the narrative in a bunch of ways and it would be as good as or better than the source material), and because they were relatively uncompromising about quality (e.g. the infamous issue with the pilot having to be completely re-done at huge cost).
The chances of us getting something that good for the WoT adaptation were incredibly slim. The historic ratio of terrible fantasy adaptations vs. good ones is... not good. So, it is what it is. Some folks find it entertaining and it seems to have encouraged a huge surge of new book readers so overall it's a good thing IMO. Who knows what could happen in the future, it's not exactly like we live in an era where remakes or re-adaptations are unprecedented.

on the same theme, re: the dragon mystery from s1:

tsob posted:

I hope it is, because it seems like some producer chasing the Game of Thrones bandwagon i.e. "Who'll win the Iron Throne" and/or "Who will win the Game of Thrones"? The Wheel of Time doesn't really trade on that kind of intrigue though, or the twists that made Game of Thrones such compelling watching for a lot of people. There are some shocking scenes during the story, but they have build up and momentum behind them that the audience can see coming and it's just their casual brutality or action that is what's shocking rather than the events themselves coming out of nowhere. If that whole thing was the idea of Rafe Judkins or some of the core creators then it shows a rather cynical streak, or possibly a misunderstanding of the appeal of the story to a lot of people.
This isn't definitive either way, but:

Radio Times posted:

Talking about how adding more people to the list of Chosen One suspects gives the story more mystery than the books, showrunner Rafe Judkins told RadioTimes.com in an exclusive interview: “I think for us, one thing that was really important for us is that, in the books, you know who the Dragon Reborn is, really, the whole way through the first book. It gives us a great mystery for the first season of 'who is the Dragon Reborn?' – it’s really an ensemble show, and you want to meet these different people, and be able to invest in them, like: 'Oh, could it be them? Could it be them?'.

“We’ve seen a lot of shows now that are like: 'This person is the Chosen One' in the pilot. And you’re just following their story. I think it’s actually really important, because The Wheel of Time is such an ensemble piece, that we are able to tell that ensemble story from the beginning, and that you really do invest in each of these characters, as they could be the Chosen One,” Judkins continued.

"I feel like we’ve done a good job of: people who don’t know the books at all, and have either read the scripts or watched the episodes now back to back to back, are usually surprised by who the Dragon Reborn is. Or they expected it at a certain point, and get surprised at a different point, and figure it out by the time. Everyone wants to be like, 'I knew the whole time.' But a lot of them didn’t."
https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/fantasy/the-wheel-of-time-dragon-reborn/
IMO most of Judkins's statements on the show indicate a rather superficial understanding of what made the books such great stories (and such a huge success). But then again as is probably apparent from the above, I'm not that positive on his abilities as a showrunner overall.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

It honestly seems to me like they got scared by the Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus aspect of the setting and made a bunch of poorly conceived changes to try to mitigate that. Which isn't to say it isn't a fair concern to have, but making big changes to an existing storyline is fraught with peril in general regardless of what your intentions are.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Colonel Cool posted:

It honestly seems to me like they got scared by the Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus aspect of the setting and made a bunch of poorly conceived changes to try to mitigate that. Which isn't to say it isn't a fair concern to have, but making big changes to an existing storyline is fraught with peril in general regardless of what your intentions are.

Yeah this is what I was gearing up to say. Tone-deaf in 2021 or not, the gender magic system is what makes the story what it is, and is at the heart of all the character arcs and universe-building, and to downplay it is to make the whole thing more generic. So you have to add something as a new hook.

Which, to the above point, isn't to say the end result gets a pass if it's bad. It's just bad

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

If your enjoyment of the story requires :biotruths: then I don't think you actually like the story because it's not really that critical.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I read the first three books and thought that aspect was bad and poorly dated - it reeks of gender essentialism. The show was clumsy in its changes, I won't argue that, but I'm glad they made an attempt. I liked the first book well enough but after the third I was done with it all and I wouldn't have made it through that third book if one character didn't do a 180 and became amazing.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Jimbot posted:

I read the first three books and thought that aspect was bad and poorly dated - it reeks of gender essentialism. The show was clumsy in its changes, I won't argue that, but I'm glad they made an attempt. I liked the first book well enough but after the third I was done with it all and I wouldn't have made it through that third book if one character didn't do a 180 and became amazing.

Things really start getting good in the fourth book

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Things really start getting good in the fourth book

I sure hope we don't have to wait till the fourth season for the show to get good.

If I were a betting man, this show won't see four seasons unless things drastically change.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Second season is books 2 and 3, and we're already renewed for a
Season 3, which is book four.

But yeah the joke is that "it gets good about 3000 pages in" is not praise

It really does tho

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I do not think they'll suddenly stop diverging from the books so hugely so maybe 3 seasons will get us through 14

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
They didn't really diverge from the book much in season 1 though

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The prologue/pre credits and the middle of the season were made up?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
The prologue is literally one scene and outside of some details the story still follows the general plot of the first book. Yeah they built on some stuff that is only really hinted at or mentioned in the books and brought some characters from the New Spring prequel into it, but they didn't really change a lot of the story of Eye of the World.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it's also the most straightforward plot in the series. i'd be surprised if there weren't major departures by book 4 when things get nuts

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Book one is just a journey book, it would be impossible to not fit that. They gutted things with no payoff for 10 books too. Maybe those will get reintroduced, but I suspect we'll instead have some madeup stuff to have more super cool battles.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
There's also A LOT of characters over the whole series, I'm sure a ton of them get cut simply because it's far easier to come up with another name for a book than it is to include another actor in a show.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Hughmoris posted:

If I were a betting man, this show won't see four seasons unless things drastically change.

It was hugely popular though. Not everyone is a no change grognard who is going to gnash at the teeth if they don't see all the spankings on tv.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
'The books don't get good until book 4' is a thing nerds have made up. The books get good in book 2, they just get awesome in book 4

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

CainFortea posted:

It was hugely popular though. Not everyone is a no change grognard who is going to gnash at the teeth if they don't see all the spankings on tv.

It was popular, but the last couple of episodes were rough. I get that it was COVID stuff and all, and I'm still onboard with the next season, but they need to right the ship and fast or I think the audience is going to go away. The show dropped out of the public consciousness pretty quickly.

I honestly think the show was at its best when it was doing its own thing, telling the story the showrunners wanted to tell. I think that's ultimately why I don't Ike the mystery aspect to the dragon reveal, they did that to add spice to a part of the story they thought was boring, but they should have written a better story instead.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

sweet geek swag posted:

It was popular, but the last couple of episodes were rough. I get that it was COVID stuff and all, and I'm still onboard with the next season, but they need to right the ship and fast or I think the audience is going to go away. The show dropped out of the public consciousness pretty quickly.

I agree with this. The show was ok but man the last few episodes were pretty meh

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I feel like the show wasn't that popular, really. They can put out whatever metrics they want, but it feels like the show was not really talked about on social media at all. Fan engagement always felt like an essential factor to me to measure how much something is actually popular.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

cheesetriangles posted:

I feel like the show wasn't that popular, really. They can put out whatever metrics they want, but it feels like the show was not really talked about on social media at all. Fan engagement always felt like an essential factor to me to measure how much something is actually popular.

It was really big in social media and those aren't numbers from Amazon. They don't really publish those kinds of numbers, very few streaming services do beyond generalities.

https://deadline.com/2021/11/the-wh...-qa-1234879517/

"Additionally, according to third party TV-I, The Wheel of Time was the #1 series on social across all releases last weekend and is the biggest Amazon Original series on social this year."

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

cheesetriangles posted:

The premiere was one of the biggest in Amazon history and according to their own promotion it kept on doing great numbers (though it's probably dwarfed by Rings of Power now)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Colonel Cool posted:

It honestly seems to me like they got scared by the Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus aspect of the setting and made a bunch of poorly conceived changes to try to mitigate that.

yeah, this is for sure what has been going on. as if their minds were composed entirely of twitter bots screaming "IS WHEEL OF TIME CANCELLED IN A POST-ME TOO WORLD?!?!?!?!"