Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Haha, royal rumble time motherfucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

dogstile posted:

I picked this up again and I expected to have a ton of hot takes, but really this just feels like overwatch designed by people who kinda sucked at overwatch.

That is a good way of putting it. I personally liked old OW better, but this is pretty fun too.

dogstile posted:

E: also I guess they did an mmr reset? I was 4300 on every role and it dunked me in plat 4. This is gonna suck for a lot of people if I keep playing and decide to climb :v:

I think for the most part, your hidden MMR matches you against other people that got knocked down and the climb is pretty swift (because there is disparity between the quality of opponents and the SR).

I get why they did this (aside from the monetization engagement). There are going to be a lot of people moving around because of the drastic changes. It's better to have a soft SR reset and let people find their level on the way up.

headcase fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Oct 11, 2022

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah the XP grind is way too much. I think like Jay3 was still in the 20s or 30s and that's playing the game every day for at least 10 hours

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

dogstile posted:

Don't get me wrong ranked deathwatch is fun

So, you're not a fan of ranked role? Could you say a little more about that? I'd be curious to hear what you think because I've seen you have some pretty insightful takes on Apex and I'm personally uncertain on Overwatch right now, I can't tell if I'm just very rusty can't process gameplay or if it's actually a big sloppy mess.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Yeah. All the Big Streamers have hit GM1 and are waiting for the top 500 list to unlock.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

teagone posted:

OW1 Diamonds/Plats were thrown into silver, and everyone below that no matter what were sent into bronze to fight their way out lol.

I did pretty good in my placements and my trying hard was rewarded with bronze 5. Like, should I be plat? Absolutely not, but bronze 5??? Should have at least been silver or gold

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Heh, pretty sure some of my dailies today are bugged and won't progress, plus the weekly challenge for healing somehow reset itself with two hours left :shepface:

They probably need more than just a couple hours of emergency maintenance is what I'm saying

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
lol I can't be the only one but getting disconnected from a match for earning achievements is some real lame poo poo. Getting some real pavlov's response too, I Lucio ulted a full team Hanzo ult and got the "block x damage with Lucio" achievement

It's like, ping! blue box pops up

gently caress, NO

disconnect

edit - and because I'm a glutton, on lunch so I'm like "ok one quick play", someone was just talking about Winston so I'll try him out for the first time in a few years

trigger ult, jump deep into enemy team, start swinging like crazy, get anger management achievement, disconnect. Lunch is over I guess

Omnikin fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 11, 2022

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah the XP grind is way too much. I think like Jay3 was still in the 20s or 30s and that's playing the game every day for at least 10 hours

There is no way. I played 20 hours this week and fully missed out on a days worth of challenges and I'm at BP level 35. At this rate I'll be done in three weeks with the season lasting two months.

The BP seems fine. Being able to unlock the new character after two weeks of casual play seems fine. Ideally all the characters should be open on day one of the new season, but if they insist on locking it in there, this is not horrible.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
3-4 hours a day doing all of the challenges is casual play?

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
20 hours in a week is less than 3 hours a day. I think that's pretty casual. It was an hour or two after work every day with a longer session with friends this weekend.

This is compared to the guy I was quoting who said Jay3 plays 10 hours a day and is only level 30 in the BP (unlikely).

Casual is relative I guess but we're all in a video game forum talking about videogames so maybe there is no casual here.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Yea chill buddy it’s fine that most players will take a month+ to unlock the new heroes in a game built from the ground up around hero swapping to build or counter synergies.

And look, if you think otherwise, may I remind you that it only took me a few weeks of playing several hours per day to get it, so it’s not like it has to take forever!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's a typical FOMO system. The bulk of the progress is the dailies, which probably take 3 matches to finish enough for the day.

If you keep playing beyond that the XP earned is very low comparatively because they want you back every day.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Technically it's two hours per day, but that's still more than casual. At that point you're committing a significant percentage of your free time. Casual to me is like, a couple nights a week and maybe a couple hours on each of those nights.

Jack B Nimble posted:

So, you're not a fan of ranked role? Could you say a little more about that? I'd be curious to hear what you think because I've seen you have some pretty insightful takes on Apex and I'm personally uncertain on Overwatch right now, I can't tell if I'm just very rusty can't process gameplay or if it's actually a big sloppy mess.

I'm on the train so I can't really give this a proper response, gimme a few hours :p

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

drat they straight up deleted Bastion from the hero list to fix him. Can't even use in quick play

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Omnikin posted:

lol I can't be the only one but getting disconnected from a match for earning achievements is some real lame poo poo. Getting some real pavlov's response too, I Lucio ulted a full team Hanzo ult and got the "block x damage with Lucio" achievement

It's like, ping! blue box pops up

gently caress, NO

disconnect

edit - and because I'm a glutton, on lunch so I'm like "ok one quick play", someone was just talking about Winston so I'll try him out for the first time in a few years

trigger ult, jump deep into enemy team, start swinging like crazy, get anger management achievement, disconnect. Lunch is over I guess

Same problem lmao.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Casual part time job maybe

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

DrBox posted:

20 hours in a week is less than 3 hours a day. I think that's pretty casual. It was an hour or two after work every day with a longer session with friends this weekend.

This is compared to the guy I was quoting who said Jay3 plays 10 hours a day and is only level 30 in the BP (unlikely).

Casual is relative I guess but we're all in a video game forum talking about videogames so maybe there is no casual here.

casual is relative but you're describing a part time job as casual

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Wheeee posted:

Yea chill buddy it’s fine that most players will take a month+ to unlock the new heroes in a game built from the ground up around hero swapping to build or counter synergies.

And look, if you think otherwise, may I remind you that it only took me a few weeks of playing several hours per day to get it, so it’s not like it has to take forever!

With 35 characters available and the game reworked to be less about hard counters, one character locked is not determining the outcome of the game. This is the same as having weapons locked behind the BP is Call of Duty. Is it ideal? No, but certainly not a game breaking experience ruining thing either.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

casual is relative but you're describing a part time job as casual
Sure some jobs are literally described as "part time casual" but I'm not sure what your point is. 20 hours a week for a hobby you enjoy does not seem crazy.

DrBox fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 11, 2022

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

hello internet posted:

I did pretty good in my placements and my trying hard was rewarded with bronze 5. Like, should I be plat? Absolutely not, but bronze 5??? Should have at least been silver or gold

Plenty of people overestimate how good they think they are. Sorry, but it's true lol.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

A few hours a day is pretty regular. Casual is that over a few days. Battle passes that expire are not casual friendly and it stinks. I'll complain about that expiration crap until I'm blue in the face forever because it's just bad.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

DrBox posted:

With 35 characters available and the game reworked to be less about hard counters, one character locked is not determining the outcome of the game.

lmao take a step back and re-read what you’ve been writing

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Wheeee posted:

lmao take a step back and re-read what you’ve been writing

So you honestly think not having access to any one character would make Overwatch games unwinable?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

This is not blizzards worst launch by a country mile but it is particularly egregious because of how little they even changed. You'd think they had screamed "new year new me" and thrown thermite on the servers for there to be so many issues on what is essentially a rebalance patch on a game that had been running stable for years.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

game's alright, it's just more overwatch

I would have rather they had removed control and kept assault if only because assault is a more interesting mode but eh

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Jimbot posted:

A few hours a day is pretty regular. Casual is that over a few days. Battle passes that expire are not casual friendly and it stinks. I'll complain about that expiration crap until I'm blue in the face forever because it's just bad.

:respek:

I know all video games are simultaneously both pointless and inarguably meaningful because they're recreational and all that matters is that you enjoy it, but the grind on the battle pass is killing me because I play two hours a day on the weekend and not all during the week.

The thing that a more traditional "currency" system can do is let someone like me pick and choose a few things to unlock instead of being now, currently, level 10, and that's after a three day weekend. If the levels are linear I'll probably only be level 15 next week.

Whereas, if I'd played several hours of OW1 I'd probably have the thousand gold I'd have needed to buy the One Skin I Want Most, and not, what, a winston skin I don't even like? It's frustrating.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Jack B Nimble posted:

Whereas, if I'd played several hours of OW1 I'd probably have the thousand gold I'd have needed to buy the One Skin I Want Most, and not, what, a winston skin I don't even like? It's frustrating.

Yeah the free currency gain and skin prices are insane and destroy any sense of progression you had from getting a couple loot boxes and an account level after a play session. I really hope they change that stuff. BP levels are not a good or fun substitute for that.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

CuddleCryptid posted:

This is not blizzards worst launch by a country mile but it is particularly egregious because of how little they even changed. You'd think they had screamed "new year new me" and thrown thermite on the servers for there to be so many issues on what is essentially a rebalance patch on a game that had been running stable for years.

that is an interesting point: OW1 was one of the stablest and most polished games I think I've ever played. I had a ton of issues with the way the game was ultimately designed that I felt were contradictory to what the game was trying to be, but OW1 was incredibly stable just worked when you wanted it to.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Did they gently caress up when challenges reset? My dailies reset in 4 hours but my weeklies in like 30 min. I thought they were synced

Also just LOL at thinking three hours a day every day is casual. I do aerial sports that has less overall time commitment and I have to train

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

DrBox posted:

So you honestly think not having access to any one character would make Overwatch games unwinable?

So you honestly think this childishly reductive reasoning has led you to a position worth responding seriously to?

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Wheeee posted:

So you honestly think this childishly reductive reasoning has led you to a position worth responding seriously to?

It's not reductive. Your idea that you need one specific character to counter what the other team is doing is incorrect.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Orissa is both very fun and very strong. I love hitting those spear shots.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

DrBox posted:

It's not reductive. Your idea that you need one specific character to counter what the other team is doing is incorrect.

I’m afraid it is.

If I need to explain to you the vast gulf between ‘you literally need X character to win’ and what is actually being discussed you aren’t going to get it anyway, sorry.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
It sucks to be locked out of a character if you just play casually. I will probably just suck it up and buy the battlepasses with new characters since there's almost no way I'm getting through the BP to that point.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I never bought a battlepass but I have all characters, whats up with that

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I bet it'll be faster to unlock new heroes here than in valorant. Both systems suck, but it's so slow in Valorant that it single handedly made me quit playing. Plus, you start with all but one (+ new ones whenever) unlocked here as opposed to the other way around (well except for brand new accounts, but they have a much faster unlock system than the battle pass junk).

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 11, 2022

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Zzulu posted:

I never bought a battlepass but I have all characters, whats up with that

same, I think it’s because I bought overwatch 1 maybe? idk

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yes, anyone that had OW1 gets everyone.

Are the devs going to be forced to put a new hero in every battle pass? Because I do not think they will be able to do that in any reasonable way that doesn't make the game crumble.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

leftist heap posted:

It sucks to be locked out of a character if you just play casually. I will probably just suck it up and buy the battlepasses with new characters since there's almost no way I'm getting through the BP to that point.

It does suck, and I'm not at all happy that they chose this monetization scheme. However, I don't think it's nearly as big of a deal as some posters in this thread are acting like it is. Not having Kiriko will slightly limit picks and counterpicks, sure. But she's not so powerful or such a generalist that a player is crippled without her. It's an annoyance, but that's all it is. An annoyance. If someone can't handle that tiny limitation, they're free to pony up the :10bux: and solve it instantly.

Bottom Liner posted:

Are the devs going to be forced to put a new hero in every battle pass? Because I do not think they will be able to do that in any reasonable way that doesn't make the game crumble.

I thought they said it would be every other, but I can't confirm that offhand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Orisa kicks so much rear end. I can’t kill anything with her ult but it doesn’t even matter