Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Oh god, my Pending delivery date finally changed to tomorrow. But now it's just sitting 45 minutes away :mad:

Cmon give me my new thing, I want the thing real bad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Gay Retard posted:

Sell me your PSP.

Pm me an offer?
It's a PS 1001, It's already set up for :filez:
PSP, 1GB memory stick, Charger, and case. Original battery but it holds up
The analog stick is broken (the disk and nubbin for the thumb pad broke) , I ordered a replacement once, it was stuffed in an envelope and arrived crushed by the USPS and since I mostly did NES and GB/GBA stuff on it I never found a need to deal with trying again. (they are pretty easy to replace and are like $10)

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Ordered my 256gb middle tier Deck on Sunday and it’s shipping today with an estimated delivery of Thursday.

Picked up a 512gb premium SD and I’ve got a Batocera image all lined up to pack it tight with my retro poo poo. Beyond excited to have burned all this cash.

In my defense, after a bunch of research this seemed like the best solution to have an easy breezy machine that I can just drop in a dock and present several decades worth of gaming history to my child.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I don’t think Batocera is fully working on the Deck yet, there’s beta versions that YouTubers got that do work but the latest public release still crashes on load.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I thought I might finally go through BattleBlock Theater now that I had my deck and that would be good for short bursts of play but I discovered something amazingly lovely about the game: you cannot delete your save. So I'd have to pick up my 1/3rd completed playthrough from over five years ago.

Apparently I can jump through some technical hurdles that would be tough to manage on the deck to erase the local data files (which isn't the same as uninstalling), play the game in offline mode to force the creation of a new save, then force that new save to overwrite the cloud save without the cloud save overwriting the local save. Or, I could just go "gently caress it" and play something else.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Sorry, that wasn't my point; I had dropped the frame and refresh rate down, in general, for the deck, and so far, the only game to react badly to it has been Shovel Knight. I was at a loss as to what the problem was until I checked that setting, and once I put it back up, it was fixed, so definitely have a 'per game basis' thing set up for it, if you're playing it. This is all with vsync already off, mind you.
I wrote a couple of effort posts a two weeks ago that dives into how gamescope, vsync, and frame limiting all works that you might be interested.

The short version is that most 2D games implement an internal 60 Hz timer and running them at a refresh rate other than 60 Hz either results in them stuttering, or straight-up slowing down. Emulators especially do this. For these games you generally want to run at 60 Hz with the frame limiter turned off entirely (even setting the frame limiter to 60 forces vsync on)--and if you're sensitive to input latency, vsync disabled too. Generally speaking this won't result in excess power consumption unless the game runs uncapped for some reason (more of an issue with 3D games). Generally setting the TDP isn't necesssary to conserve power, but might be a good standby option to minimize input latency while also doing a brute-force power cap.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Is it a safe assumption that if a 2D game slows down when the frame limiter is put on, that there's no chance it runs uncapped?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Amazon has 512gig samsung evo sd cards on sale for $47

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...d=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Harminoff posted:

Thanks for that. Sending back my ~$70 one for this.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah I forgot about the sales today and have an unopened 256 sitting here waiting for my steam deck to arrive

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
If anyone is looking for a good Halloween game to play, DUSK is great on the deck. The sound design and visuals are awesome. It's designed with M+KB in mind, but playing on default difficulty has been totally fine in that regard. They've also made some good updates for controller users (such as adding a weapon wheel).

Also planning on giving Silent Hill 2 a spin for the first time.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

have sd cards gotten more expensive this year? sandisc 512 for USD72 silicon power 512 (is this a poo poo brand?) for CAD62. gigastone 512 for cad75 these are on sale... surely there will be some actual savings on black friday?

Mescal fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 11, 2022

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Mescal posted:

have sd cards gotten more expensive this year? sandisc 512 for USD72 silicon power 512 (is this a poo poo brand?) for CAD62. gigastone 512 for cad75 these are on sale... surely there will be some actual savings on black friday?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09B1HMJ9Z/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

$47 for the Samsung 512 U3. That's a great price. Prime member price only, though. It's normally around $60. And it's pretty much the same as the sandisk you linked.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah i just looked at my amazon purchase history and the prices for 128/256 is pretty much the same from 2 years ago as it is today.
Generally the >256GB poo poo gets exponentially more expensive.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 11, 2022

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Random Stranger posted:

I thought I might finally go through BattleBlock Theater now that I had my deck and that would be good for short bursts of play but I discovered something amazingly lovely about the game: you cannot delete your save. So I'd have to pick up my 1/3rd completed playthrough from over five years ago.

Apparently I can jump through some technical hurdles that would be tough to manage on the deck to erase the local data files (which isn't the same as uninstalling), play the game in offline mode to force the creation of a new save, then force that new save to overwrite the cloud save without the cloud save overwriting the local save. Or, I could just go "gently caress it" and play something else.

Yeah, my wife and I got a gaming PC last Christmas and I was all 'hey, Battleblock Theatre! I'd go through that again, maybe I'll beat it this time!' and discovered the same thing. I have it installed on my deck and keep passing it by because of this. I mean, there's virtually no story so it shouldn't matter, but the challenges definitely ramp up.

I don't understand how it doesn't just have a delete option.

Anyway, the game is still great

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Quick PSA that the new Steam Input virtual menus are a huge step forward on the Deck. I've moved a bunch of the touchpad bindings that made them d-pads into virtual menus and couldn't be happier. The new UI is a bit cleaner too, it's responsive and easy to read.

You can stick a large number of options into a virtual radial menu and it still works well - putting all of the 0-9 number keys as Skyrim hotkeys for example. It's easy to select accurately even with all those options. Use click to select, not touch release - you're not losing anything because the old click to modeshift is either broken or they took it out.

You can also have a virtual menu entry itself be a virtual menu, so there's a lot of flexibility there. I've also got them on some Active Layers now. Great for games that will take mixed keyboard / gamepad input.

You can no longer make a touchpad into both a d-pad and a touchpad as you used to be able to with a click modeshift back on the original Steam Controller. But with the new virtual menus, I don't really miss that any more.

This is as good an introduction to them as any:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vorhbmYIFpg

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Harminoff posted:

This is "on sale" for $11 less than it has been in my cart all week

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09B1HMJ9Z/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

$47 for the Samsung 512 U3. That's a great price. Prime member price only, though. It's normally around $60. And it's pretty much the same as the sandisk you linked.

I paid $54 for this the last sale and am very happy with it. Here's the post on what all the alphabet soup on the label means, if anyone's interested.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

here is a usbc hub that is v cheap for the next few hours... but i don't think you can actually charge through it? https://www.amazon.com/Ethernet-Adapter-uni-Gigabit-Compatible/dp/B0871ZL9TG/?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_w=XdRB7

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

That just looks like a dongle so yeah, no power for charging.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Red Robin Hood posted:

SanDisk 1TB Ultra microSDXC Memory Card is $97 on Amazon Prime: https://amzn.to/3epdTrQ

Great for Switch or Steam Deck or whatever

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Mescal posted:

here is a usbc hub that is v cheap for the next few hours... but i don't think you can actually charge through it? https://www.amazon.com/Ethernet-Adapter-uni-Gigabit-Compatible/dp/B0871ZL9TG/?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_w=XdRB7

Here's a cheaper hub that has PD (100W) for powering everything including the Deck. Has 3x USB A ports. The HDMI is only 4K30Hz though, but $13.49 is a great bargain: https://www.amazon.com/Adapters-Chosure-Splitter-Thunderbolt-Compatible/dp/B08F53DS71/

There are more options if you want 4K60Hz HDMI, all around $27 - 29.99 at the cheapest.

For example, this has 100W PD, 1x USB A, HDMI 4k60 and 1x ethernet: https://www.amazon.com/Multiport-Adapter-Dockteck-Gigabit-Ethernet/dp/B08SM38LYG/

PD, 4k60, 2xUSB, card readers: https://www.amazon.com/USB-Hub-Dockteck-6-1/dp/B08SM69J/

Lots of variants there.

I use an old hub from 3 years ago with 3x USB, HDMI 4k30, USB PD (60W, I think) and am happy enough with it. It does 3440x1440 @ 50Hz which is nicer than 30 so. The 3x USB A inputs are important to me as I can use it as a cheap KVM with keyboard, HDMI, mouse, and my powered speaker which connects over USB. Could use one more USB A port for the Zoom webcam, but whatever.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 11, 2022

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

My Steam Dock came today - FreeSync is quite nice. If you spent the extra money on a monitor that supports it, I'd recommend spending the extra money on it.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I see a lot of discussion about recommended hubs since the first-party one is overpriced; is there a good link to other recommended peripherals like controllers, headphones, etc? I am mostly living a desktop life so I don't know much about the bluetooth hardware scene

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

loquacius posted:

I see a lot of discussion about recommended hubs since the first-party one is overpriced; is there a good link to other recommended peripherals like controllers, headphones, etc? I am mostly living a desktop life so I don't know much about the bluetooth hardware scene

The great thing about the Deck is that you can use just about any Bluetooth controller and headphones. I really enjoy my PS5 controller - the touchpad doubles as a trackpad. Gyro even works with Switch/PS5 controllers. Headphones-wise, I just hook my Airpod Pros up to it.

Edit: Who do I have to bug to get a Big Deck Energy tag?

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Somehow my Deck is sitting somewhere in lovely central California, what the hell is Fedex doing out there?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Gay Retard posted:

The great thing about the Deck is that you can use just about any Bluetooth controller and headphones.

Well sure, I just don't really know which ones I should be looking for there for aforementioned reasons. I have an off-brand Switch Pro controller which I would rather keep synced to only the Switch to avoid confusion, and would like some recs for which ones I should try to get instead.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

infraboy posted:

Somehow my Deck is sitting somewhere in lovely central California, what the hell is Fedex doing out there?

Be happy it’s not AUZ. FedEx is a terrible delivery service.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

v1ld posted:

Here's a cheaper hub that has PD (100W) for powering everything including the Deck. Has 3x USB A ports. The HDMI is only 4K30Hz though, but $13.49 is a great bargain: https://www.amazon.com/Adapters-Chosure-Splitter-Thunderbolt-Compatible/dp/B08F53DS71/

There are more options if you want 4K60Hz HDMI, all around $27 - 29.99 at the cheapest.

For example, this has 100W PD, 1x USB A, HDMI 4k60 and 1x ethernet: https://www.amazon.com/Multiport-Adapter-Dockteck-Gigabit-Ethernet/dp/B08SM38LYG/

PD, 4k60, 2xUSB, card readers: https://www.amazon.com/USB-Hub-Dockteck-6-1/dp/B08SM69J/

Lots of variants there.

I use an old hub from 3 years ago with 3x USB, HDMI 4k30, USB PD (60W, I think) and am happy enough with it. It does 3440x1440 @ 50Hz which is nicer than 30 so. The 3x USB A inputs are important to me as I can use it as a cheap KVM with keyboard, HDMI, mouse, and my powered speaker which connects over USB. Could use one more USB A port for the Zoom webcam, but whatever.

drat, that is a good price. the stand isn't worth 30 bucks more. maybe i'll return and get that one

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Gay Retard posted:

Do you want to be able to play your Steam library on the toilet or not?

Wait hold up, is this device not meant for making it easier to buy steam games that you will never play?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

loquacius posted:

Well sure, I just don't really know which ones I should be looking for there for aforementioned reasons. I have an off-brand Switch Pro controller which I would rather keep synced to only the Switch to avoid confusion, and would like some recs for which ones I should try to get instead.

In my opinion the gold standard for a universal controller is the 8Bitdo Pro 2, which has a physical switch on the back for changing between 4 different connection types (Xinput which is what you'd use for the Deck, DirectInput, Apple and Switch). So my Pro 2 can live on the table in front of the TV. Then if you want the more Xbox style layout with offset analog sticks they're putting out the Ultimate Controller soon which has 2.4ghz and Bluetooth, so you could connect to the Switch over bluetooth and connect the 2.4ghz dongle to the Deck Dock and use the switch it has that way.

The other big name in third party controllers that don't suck is Guilkit, they have the KingKong 2 which is one of the new wave of controllers using hall sensors to prevent stick drift. I haven't used one myself but they're very well regarded.

Or you could just use a normal Xbox controller.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 11, 2022

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Am I right in saying that the gyro doesn’t worn in Xinput mode?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah after thinking it over some more I just ordered an Xbox controller, and didn't bother with headphones because the Xbox controller has a headphone jack on it

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Also officially placed my Deck order. I am psyched :toot:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Yes. The 8bitdo controllers are frustrating because they only emulate other controllers, they don't have a native mode, and none of the emulations expose all of the features that the controllers have -- the gyro is present in Switch mode and absent in the others, while the analog triggers are binary in Switch mode and analog in all the others.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don’t exactly know how the gyro works. I’ve been playing Doom 2016 off and on and I just noticed last night that the gyro works only when my thumb is placed on the right stick.

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don’t exactly know how the gyro works. I’ve been playing Doom 2016 off and on and I just noticed last night that the gyro works only when my thumb is placed on the right stick.

That's an option in the controller setup - the sticks have a touch-panel on them and you can use that to detect when the stick is being touched but not pushed - some controller setups have the gyro only activate when you're touching the stick so you can eg adjust your grip or scratch your balls without the game aiming going all over the place

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is that how you get the gyro working on Wii U emulation? I wish I had known this before I finished Wind Waker HD yesterday.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So i'm trying to transfer files via one drive, but for some reason I can't seem to find or see the files I downloaded via firefox.

I set the desktop as the location and watched the files download. But nothing has shown up in the desktop and the file explorer can't see anything either. Anyone have an idea of what might have happened or how to fix it?

Clicking the "show in folder" icon in firefox's downloads doesn't do anything either, like it doesn't even bring up the desktop.

When I set the option in firefox to always ask where to save files, downloads wouldn't even trigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Is that how you get the gyro working on Wii U emulation? I wish I had known this before I finished Wind Waker HD yesterday.

I thought you had too install emudeck in advanced mode to enable it as one of the steps because you have to enter your root password.