Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Bottom Liner posted:

Yes, anyone that had OW1 gets everyone.

Are the devs going to be forced to put a new hero in every battle pass? Because I do not think they will be able to do that in any reasonable way that doesn't make the game crumble.

They have said it will be a new hero every second battlepass. It should work out to three new heroes a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Bottom Liner posted:

Are the devs going to be forced to put a new hero in every battle pass? Because I do not think they will be able to do that in any reasonable way that doesn't make the game crumble.

They've said the goal is to alternate a new map and new hero each season. There's no unlocking required for maps, so if all one cares about is having gameplay access to heroes, buying every other BP should accomplish that for $10 every 4 months.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
If you don't earn a hero through the battle pass before the season ends, after the season the hero can be unlocked via challenges. So don't think if you miss out you simply can't get it later

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Did we just get a repeat of exactly same weekly goals as last week? Lame.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

I'm at lvl 30 from playing about 20 hours. 20 hours within 9 week season would be a reasonable goal for unlocking characters.
Not everyone can poopsock like goons.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Kwolok posted:

If you don't earn a hero through the battle pass before the season ends, after the season the hero can be unlocked via challenges. So don't think if you miss out you simply can't get it later

Hero locks also seem to be specific to comp so if you're like me and all you do is bounce between Mystery Heroes and the arcade modes then the battle pass really is just cosmetics, maybe they'll make that worse next time though depending on where the bulk of the playerbase settles, but for now for me personally the only thing in there of interest is maybe the D.Va EDM skin, and is that :10bux: worth of interest? Ehh

Progression is too slow though and they probably need some extra hook that isn't a lootbox to replace the old OW1 level ups, especially for those times when you finish a hard fought lengthy match but don't finish any challenges so the best you get for your time is one more inch on the bar towards some middling cosmetic you don't care about

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Delsaber posted:

Hero locks also seem to be specific to comp so if you're like me and all you do is bounce between Mystery Heroes and the arcade modes then the battle pass really is just cosmetics, maybe they'll make that worse next time though depending on where the bulk of the playerbase settles, but for now for me personally the only thing in there of interest is maybe the D.Va EDM skin, and is that :10bux: worth of interest? Ehh

Progression is too slow though and they probably need some extra hook that isn't a lootbox to replace the old OW1 level ups, especially for those times when you finish a hard fought lengthy match but don't finish any challenges so the best you get for your time is one more inch on the bar towards some middling cosmetic you don't care about

I would love for them to bring back credits. They can exist alongside coins as the free currency. Apex does something similar and it's fine. They can keep the coins (and crappy free coin rewards) for the new crazy cosmetics and let the free currency work for old and seasonal cosmetics.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Had a comeback win in a comp game on Eichenwalde down 5v4. Good OW can be amazing.

When its bad its loving the worst game ever.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Coming back to the game after OW1 and having had a few unranked games mixing and matching but being a fair support in OW1 Ranked today I decided to practice with Kiriko.

Really enjoyed it, there is definitely a steep learning curve but the DPS is so good I can't see her not getting nerfed ij the next battlepass.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Coming back to the game after OW1 and having had a few unranked games mixing and matching but being a fair support in OW1 Ranked today I decided to practice with Kiriko.

Really enjoyed it, there is definitely a steep learning curve but the DPS is so good I can't see her not getting nerfed ij the next battlepass.

her DPS is high if, and only if, you're landing consistent headshots, something much easier said than done in the world of overwatch

she's really good against relatively immobile tanks with large head hitboxes like orisa and roadhog but small targets depend a lot on flicks and luck if they're moving even mildly unpredictably. if there isn't a tank to hit, i mostly stick with using kunai to provide corner denial and only really try to hit accurately at midrange

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Chinatown posted:

Good OW can be amazing.

When its bad its loving the worst game ever.

This is how mobas are described. The ult system must be their comeback mechanic.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I wanna be good at Kiriko because she's really cool and has fun stuff going on but even on good days my aim is terrible so landing consistent kunai headshots is basically a pipe dream for me.

Kiriko gameplay from actually good people though is super fun to watch.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I find Kiriko hard to fight with because her rate of fire is just a little bit slower than I always think it is. The way she moves her hands when throwing messes me up because I haven't internalized the "release" part of the animation yet. She looks like she'd DJing with knives.

Tapping fire rather than holding down has helped.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Kiriko also always has her giant hands in front of her face that literally block headshots.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 11, 2022

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
Awesome lol

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Hit em with that

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Holy poo poo they really just released Overwatch again and called it Overwatch 2 so they could add a battle pass and more monetization. I guess no loot boxes is okay?

Sojourn is fun, though my aim is garbage as ever and playing on console means I won’t be getting any sweet mid-air rail snipes. I actually have a good gaming pc but being better at the game isn’t worth not having a couch to sit on when I play.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I understand that Zenyatta has very high damage potential and is considered good because of it, but down here in Cardboard League it definitely feels like literally every character in the game is designed to counter him.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

BabyRyoga posted:

Do you think Diablo Immortal makes a ton of money because everyone who plays it is spending 20 or 50 bucks or whatever or buying battle pass equivalents? Naw, it's like the .1% of the player base dropping 10 or 15 G's all at once.

It's an industry wide thing, so I guess analytics have been done many many times and affirmed that pricing things reasonably and targeting the average player makes less money than extremely poo poo pricing targeting whales and gambling addicts.
every time this comes up I think about the PAX East panel where a dev talked about working on a F2P game where they produced cosmetics in LA Lakers colors specifically because there was a whale who absolutely had to own everything with that color scheme

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Hi watch this if you want to understand the modern games industry and why everything sucks now.

https://youtu.be/xNjI03CGkb4

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Bleck posted:

I understand that Zenyatta has very high damage potential and is considered good because of it, but down here in Cardboard League it definitely feels like literally every character in the game is designed to counter him.

Stick to cover, and don't underestimate his charged orb attack. You don't want to be using it in the middle of a fight, but it's a great tool to put pressure around corners. Also, more than any other healer, Zenyatta needs to stick to the buddy system at all times.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

https://overwatch.blizzard.com/en-gb/news/23865964/

Blizzard posted:

We apologize for any issues players experienced around the game’s launch. To help make up for any lost time, we’re planning to run several Double Match XP weekends: we will confirm the specific dates for these soon. We’ll also be giving all players who log in from October 25 through to the end of Season One an all-new Cursed Captain Reaper Legendary skin and a Health Pack Weapon Charm. These items will become part of your collection from the first time you log in during that time window.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Isn't that just one of the Halloween skins that would be in lootboxes if the game were still OW1? Nice pivot

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Free stuff we get for all the technical issues:

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

looks like poo poo but ill still wear that garbage

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Now show me that healthpack charm being jammed into Sigma's hand.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

give Sigma a Spherical Cow charm

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
crow reaper 4 ever

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

tyrelhill posted:

crow reaper 4 ever

Rat Reaper

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
so is it just me or does bo3 have different rules around overtime now? It seems like in certain circumstances (I think when your team has already capped the point in OT maybe?) you don't actually get overtime at the end of a match, it just gives you the W

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
Good to know OW still causes broke-brain.

edit: or at least attracts it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

so is it just me or does bo3 have different rules around overtime now? It seems like in certain circumstances (I think when your team has already capped the point in OT maybe?) you don't actually get overtime at the end of a match, it just gives you the W

If you're at 99% recapping immediately grants 1% and ends it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Thanks to Overwatch 2 and me being curious about it, I can resume my piece de resistance.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Isn't match XP a trickle compared to Daily/Weekly challenges?

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.

AndrewP posted:

Orisa kicks so much rear end. I can’t kill anything with her ult but it doesn’t even matter

ask your comrade zarya for help

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Father Wendigo posted:

It really depends. If you're only logging in to do your challenges and not much else, then that's going to be the majority of your XP yeah. However, if you're playing a lot just for fun like I am, the trickle XP really does add up. I just hit pass level 65 and while I obviously don't have exact numbers I think that the match XP has been a fair amount of that.

(Disclaimer: I'm not saying everyone can or should play like I do. I have too much free time and I know it. I'm just explaining how the XP has worked in my situation.)

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
It was only QP, but I was rudely reminded that Dva teleport bombs are a thing. I'm not sure how that works though since DVa dropped her bomb, then Sym put the teleporter down under the mech and it just vanished into the ether to kill us.

Oh well, we lost that match round 1 the way we never coordinated ever. Just got lucky with a few good ults in the second.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Father Wendigo posted:

Compared to the challenges, yeah, match XP seems about the same as it was in OW1 after the daily first win bonus. At least for my beer league rear end, anyway. If performance bonuses are still a thing I wouldn't know about that

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Bleck posted:

Zen requires a lot of peel and the problem with OW players is that 99% of them have no situational awareness. they see a genji dash past them, hear him pump shurikens into Zenyatta, and go "huh, that's weird" and keep looking forward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

Jimbot posted:

A few hours a day is pretty regular. Casual is that over a few days. Battle passes that expire are not casual friendly and it stinks. I'll complain about that expiration crap until I'm blue in the face forever because it's just bad.

Agreed.