Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Mark:

Also Mark: "Wait, no, not like that..."

i am already really tired of the disingenuous stuff people have said in response to this tumblr response up to and including 'format legalities are broken now' and 'i have free reign to make broken custom cards and bring them to tournaments'

if there's any reading past the face reading of that post it's 'mark's a bit pissy about people making GBS threads on un-sets' imo, but still it's just 'don't get lovely about someone playing a card that's legal for them to play, just because you don't like that card'

Sickening posted:

I can't stress enough how much really competitive magic is played on MTGO vs arena. Like its a bad client in every single way but somehow its infinitely more affordable and true to paper than Arena might ever be.

Like I can get my PPTQ vibes anytime I want just by doing an modern arena league.

turns out being around for 20 years lets your client support more paper formats than the one and a half arena supports

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

flatluigi posted:

i am already really tired of the disingenuous stuff people have said in response to this tumblr response up to and including 'format legalities are broken now' and 'i have free reign to make broken custom cards and bring them to tournaments'

if there's any reading past the face reading of that post it's 'mark's a bit pissy about people making GBS threads on un-sets' imo, but still it's just 'don't get lovely about someone playing a card that's legal for them to play, just because you don't like that card'

He knows that there's no reason not to play expensive cards produced by Wizards, but his job depends on him not acknowledging that he knows

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I wonder what the geographic distribution of WPN premium stores is. Wizards doesn't make a large search query on their store locator easy, and unsurprisingly there are like 5 in the Seattle area compared to much larger cities LA with 4 and NYC with 1.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Yelling at MaRo about anything other than card design is fruitless and mean-spirited. But, mostly it's taking up time you could use for yelling at MaRo about card design, a thing he is also bad at and deserves criticism for.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Cactrot posted:

I wonder what the geographic distribution of WPN premium stores is. Wizards doesn't make a large search query on their store locator easy, and unsurprisingly there are like 5 in the Seattle area compared to much larger cities LA with 4 and NYC with 1.

Baltimore has 2, but we're an outsized gaming hub vs. population.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Toshimo posted:

Yelling at MaRo about anything other than card design is fruitless and mean-spirited. But, mostly it's taking up time you could use for yelling at MaRo about card design, a thing he is also bad at and deserves criticism for.

unfinity seems like a fun set

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Cactrot posted:

There are 3 in the state of Connecticut

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Maro is actually cool and good

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

It’s kind of crazy that Maro has done his blog for so long. I can’t think of anyone else involved at a high level capacity in any of my other hobbies who would willingly take abuse from 30000 pissed off, insane* people a day.

fadam fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 11, 2022

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Sickening posted:

I can't stress enough how much really competitive magic is played on MTGO vs arena. Like its a bad client in every single way but somehow its infinitely more affordable and true to paper than Arena might ever be.

Like I can get my PPTQ vibes anytime I want just by doing an modern arena league.

Modo is a great client actually. It's the paper exerpience on your screen, and it turns out paper is ugly.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

fadam posted:

It’s kind of crazy that Maro has done his blog for so long. I can’t think of anyone else involved at a high level capacity in any of my other hobbies who would willingly take abuse from 30000 pissed off, insane* people a day.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

HootTheOwl posted:

Modo is a great client actually. It's the paper exerpience on your screen, and it turns out paper is ugly.

:hmmno:

The modern format on Arena might triple their revenue growth for the year.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Even if they dumped Modern 1:1 on Arena this afternoon I would probably keep playing on Modo just because of card renting.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I feel bad for Maro. He clearly loves the game, but he made the game so well that Hasbro has demanded that he make 10,000% more game or else everyone will die.

It feels like he's constantly hitting the talk show circuit because he's pumping out Ghostbuster 2016s and they MUST make money.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I hope the dudes who really put themselves out there as "Faces of the Game" realize how valuable that is for them personally, and have taken the game doubling in profitability in 3 years as an opportunity to get paid out to keep smiling about it.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

fadam posted:

his blog, his weekly column, AND a podcast, its crazy how transparent he is about the design process, and just seems to really really really like his job.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

flatluigi posted:

unfinity seems like a fun set

I was actually pretty underwhelmed by it in a draft, but I suspect that's because the overriding focus on stickers and Attractions interested me way less than the grab-bag random goofy things from previous Un-sets. It felt like stuff like Urza's Contact Lenses, Rules Lawyer, Duh, Ambiguity, or "Ach! Hans, Run!" was really lacking.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Huxley posted:

I hope the dudes who really put themselves out there as "Faces of the Game" realize how valuable that is for them personally, and have taken the game doubling in profitability in 3 years as an opportunity to get paid out to keep smiling about it.

Maro does a bunch of free labor. It's one of his least redeeming qualities.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Toshimo posted:

why do you think he's not getting paid for what he does, lmao

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

flatluigi posted:

why do you think he's not getting paid for what he does, lmao

You'd see the overlord's hands on it.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Roadie posted:

I was actually pretty underwhelmed by it in a draft, but I suspect that's because the overriding focus on stickers and Attractions interested me way less than the grab-bag random goofy things from previous Un-sets. It felt like stuff like Urza's Contact Lenses, Rules Lawyer, Duh, Ambiguity, or "Ach! Hans, Run!" was really lacking.

yeah same. I wonder if there was an eternal legal mandate from the beginning that constrained the design team. but also, there's only so many non-annoying munchkin card ideas they could use before it starts to get repetitive

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

kalel posted:

yeah same. I wonder if there was an eternal legal mandate from the beginning that constrained the design team. but also, there's only so many non-annoying munchkin card ideas they could use before it starts to get repetitive

nah, they've come out and said a few times that the idea to make stuff eternal legal came late in development and several cards like plot armor would've been designed differently if they'd planned for things to be eternal from the top

(also, fwiw, i think most of the attractions are pretty goofy so idk why calling those out as a reason why the set isn't very goofy is supposed to track)

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

You can see the complete and utter disdain on Maro's face in the m30 announcement stream when the marketing ghoul starts justifying the price of the garbage fake cards, so he's still cool with me

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Toshimo posted:

What

whiggles
Dec 19, 2003

TEAM EDWARD

Tibalt posted:

Each creature you control assigns combat damage equal to its toughness rather than its power.
Tap: Scry 1
Untap, (1): Mill 1
2/5

Ward (2)
Affinity for creatures
Provoke

If a creature with power 6 or less would be blocked by Megan thee stallion, destroy that creature.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

This pile ThrabenU just posted a video for looks like a ton of fun to play:

https://youtu.be/uk6CT8Mafl0

There are three mechanics/cards I completely whiffed on recognizing how powerful they are during spoiler season in this video: Minsc, Reflection, and Initiative lol.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

fadam posted:

This pile ThrabenU just posted a video for looks like a ton of fun to play:

https://youtu.be/uk6CT8Mafl0

There are three mechanics/cards I completely whiffed on recognizing how powerful they are during spoiler season in this video: Minsc, Reflection, and Initiative lol.

He has really gone all in on the brews of late.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Sickening posted:

He has really gone all in on the brews of late.

I only started watching his stuff recently but I really like it. Same with Bryant Cook. Those three make Legacy easily my favourite MTG content to watch.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

fadam posted:

I only started watching his stuff recently but I really like it. Same with Bryant Cook. Those three make Legacy easily my favourite MTG content to watch.

samesies. not coincidentally the three of them host a podcast which serves as a very nice not-memey biweekly temperature check on the format

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

kalel posted:

samesies. not coincidentally the three of them host a podcast which serves as a very nice not-memey biweekly temperature check on the format

Ya I love it. This might sound nuts but I really appreciate how unfunny the hosts are.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Roadie posted:

kalel posted:

I'm pretty sure they basically said a lot of the past unset grab bag goofy things had a problem where they were funny once which was terrible for replayability.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I think we are just going to have to accept the fact that they're not going to nerf the Red-Blue Menace. it's been three banning updates where they explicitly mention legacy as being just fine you guys seriously.

the only out at this point is to for the deck to be power-crept out of legacy. maybe mh3 will print a hexproof indestructible dark depths or an uncounterable 2-mana reanimation spell

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

if it gets actually power crept out of legacy the format is going to be wholly different and likely wildly degenerate with a clear new villain that does necessitate a ban, because one of main points of playing the deck/archetype is having at least reasonable play against (and opportunities to outplay) pretty much everything

that doesn't preclude it from getting dethroned as top dog, but it's at least as likely the end of the "menace" will come when we get another split into different sub-archetypes as meta considerations + new high powered cards make grabbing a third color more appealing again vs. the consistency offered by the current critical mass of UR cards

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Toshimo posted:

Baltimore has 2, but we're an outsized gaming hub vs. population.

I should've guessed that Gamer Corps is a premium store. Didn't even think to check.

E: Maro does seem both cool and good and if I were him I would 100% be smiling and pointing up toward my bosses when people come in screaming about the 30th Anniversary stuff.

TotalHell fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 11, 2022

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

LGD posted:

if it gets actually power crept out of legacy the format is going to be wholly different and likely wildly degenerate with a clear new villain that does necessitate a ban, because one of main points of playing the deck/archetype is having at least reasonable play against (and opportunities to outplay) pretty much everything

:thejoke: because it's not going away any other way

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Everybody and their mother is playing W6 now including loving UW control, I'm actually thinking Flame Blitz might be a legit sideboard card

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

Roadie posted:

I did a draft as well, though the nature of my deck (W/R clown robot aggro) meant that I didn't get to interact with many of the wacky mechanics of the set, as my games were over pretty quickly.

Highlights of the event included my opponent using Blufferfish to correctly guess my bluffs, and another game using a card to auction off a casting of Animate Object, with another table winning the bid at 13 life.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Everybody and their mother is playing W6 now including loving UW control, I'm actually thinking Flame Blitz might be a legit sideboard card

It's only a matter of time till the card's gone in Modern. I'm absolutely convinced of this, but if I ever break down and buy a playset I'll make sure to post in the thread cause holy moly do I have a bad track record with that

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Reflector Mage has a legendary border lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

LGD posted:

that doesn't preclude it from getting dethroned as top dog, but it's at least as likely the end of the "menace" will come when we get another split into different sub-archetypes as meta considerations + new high powered cards make grabbing a third color more appealing again vs. the consistency offered by the current critical mass of UR cards

what does "wildly degenerate" look like in a format that already has turn 1 wins?

Weird Pumpkin posted:

It's only a matter of time till the card's gone in Modern. I'm absolutely convinced of this, but if I ever break down and buy a playset I'll make sure to post in the thread cause holy moly do I have a bad track record with that

I remember a time in modern when even Splinter Twin and Tron were all playing Tarmogoyf, because everyone else played Goyf, because Goyfs can always block other Goyfs. But then everyone stopped playing it and the card is worth about 1/3rd what it was.

A Moose fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 11, 2022