Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Feliday Melody posted:

Placing too many NPCs near one another will make their prices increase. Especially if they live near NPCs they don't like.

Before this. You could just make 3x7 NPC tubes to get the house building out of the way (relatively) quickly, and then keep playing the regular game.

Even then, the sheer number of NPCs means a lot of time, effort and space needs to be dedicated to them.

I just wish I could cut NPCs out entirely and just build my home and play an adventure game with some mild resource gathering.

If you don't often buy stuff from the NPCs, it doesn't really matter if their prices increase.

If you don't care about pylons, you don't even need to bother building your own apartment complex: you can just use those worldgen-generated houses that appear in various biomes.

Those underground cabins with chests that you find in most of the underground biomes? Their walls are already housing-valid. Patch up the holes in the walls, slap down a workbench and chair for each room, mine/rebuild the chandeliers, and there you go - instant housing for 1-3 NPCs.

Those buildings on the sky islands are even easier. Once again, their walls are already housing-valid: all you need to do is add a torch and table+chair, and they'll be livable. Sometimes they even come with the right furniture. They're big enough for two houses if you add a door to split them in half.

The housing towers in hell can be turned into your own NPC apartment complexes pretty easily too. You have to tear down the background walls and put them back up (obsidian walls are housing-safe when placed by the player), but other than that, they provide a bunch of correctly-sized rooms and some of them even have the necessary furniture already.

LordAdakos posted:

How do you keep the corruption biomes from spreading? Didn't there used to be a trick with snow or something?

Dig tunnels several tiles wide (3+ tiles), lined with blocks that aren't dirt, stone, mud, ice, sand (including hardened sand), or sandstone.

You don't really need to worry about biome spread until hardmode, though, and completely containing the spread isn't really practical until you've got the Clentaminator. Digging tunnels to block the spread is only really worthwhile if there's a particular area close to the corruption that you want to protect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Feliday Melody posted:

I just wish I could cut NPCs out entirely and just build my home and play an adventure game with some mild resource gathering.

But... you can do this :confused: There's absolutely nothing forcing you to build a house for the party girl or whatever if you do not want to do that

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Yeah other than checking with the Guide every once in a while to remind me of a crafting recipe I may occasionally buy ammo from the Arms Dealer and explosives from the Demolitionist but that's it and those aren't really necessary, just makes things simpler for me. I guess technically the Guide is the only NPC you absolutely need to even care about and that's only to make sure he's alive so you can kill him to summon the WoF.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

LordAdakos posted:

How do you keep the corruption biomes from spreading? Didn't there used to be a trick with snow or something?

Air-gapping.

Corruption can't spread more than three tiles, and it can only infect grass, stone, ice, and the various blocks and background walls of sand. Nothing else. Snow will indeed act as an insulator, but so will dirt and mud without grass on it, and actually so will pretty much every other block in the game, and in fact empty space works perfectly fine as well. This does mean that some biomes and tunnel generation will make natural firewalls.

The evil biome also can't displace the Hallow, so if there's just a specific area you don't want to worry about (and it's probably going to be somewhere in the desert, because that place has absolutely no natural protection against the spread), then you can hit it with some conversation powder, or the clentaminator, or just seed it with some Hallowed blocks before the evil starts to push in.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

even if you cram all the NPCs in a single cell block the happiness penalty for doing so has been blunted to the point where it basically doesn’t matter.

the only thing that truly matters is maxing out the goblin tinkerer’s happiness which is trivial if you just build him a house in the underground with one for the mechanic right next to his. do this and you’ll get the minimum price for reforges.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Feliday Melody posted:

I don't feel like I get the time spent setting it up back in travel time personally.

Especially as corruption starts reaching my spread out vendor NPCs and start tanking their moods.

The key is getting it done before corruption, as the pylons will stay.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Pro-tip for airgapping for corruption. The mole minecart now requires only 35% of the beastiary be complete and is sold by the zoologist, which you can do pre-hardmode. Do the usual world exploring, buy the minecart and criss+cross your world with subways.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Easiest way to fight corruption spread is to just turn it off in the power menu. Not playing in journey mode is wild to me.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Feliday Melody posted:

They made it even worse, I think. Not only did they double the number of NPCs several times over. They penalized the NPC house boxes and now try to make you build individual houses spread all over the world. And put that into the gameplay balance.

It reminds me of the fallout 4 settlement system.

The pylon system is wonderful and one of the best parts of 1.4, as you can setup houses and easily jump from your base to the ocean, then the underground jungle, then the ice biome instead of spending a half hour running from place to place.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Gobblecoque posted:

Easiest way to fight corruption spread is to just turn it off in the power menu. Not playing in journey mode is wild to me.

Also this sounds terrible, imo

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I don't play on Journey but what sounds "terrible" about not having corruption spread

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, shut up, nobody wants to hear this argument

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

I did a non-expert playthrough after the patch dropped (honestly on accident, I forgot on world creation and didn't remember until I was almost into hard mode when I realized I didn't get the shield or worm scarf), and man not having that equipment slot and those particular gear pieces makes it less fun to me

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
I've been playing the dontdigup seed, where you start in the underworld, and for some reason it doesn't have the purification powders or the Clentaminator available, and it's kinda baffling

I guess it doesn't want people to avoid the buffed evil biome enemies by purifying a little safe zone for themselves. But the entire surface is corrupt/crimson in that seed, except for the Jungle, so it's not like avoiding the corruption is reasonable until pretty late

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Vizuyos posted:

I've been playing the dontdigup seed, where you start in the underworld, and for some reason it doesn't have the purification powders or the Clentaminator available, and it's kinda baffling

I guess it doesn't want people to avoid the buffed evil biome enemies by purifying a little safe zone for themselves. But the entire surface is corrupt/crimson in that seed, except for the Jungle, so it's not like avoiding the corruption is reasonable until pretty late

Oh poo poo really? I'm playing that seed too and I was really looking forward to digging up and purifying the surface world.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Has anyone got a solid read on how the fishing quests work in don't dig up / getfixedboi?

I don't really understand what counts as what biome and would quite like to start setting up some fishing holes. The wiki says something about the biomes counting as other biomes half the time and I'm very confused!

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Jabarto posted:

Oh poo poo really? I'm playing that seed too and I was really looking forward to digging up and purifying the surface world.

I think the purification tools will still work in a dontdigup world, but the NPCs that would normally sell them won't have them available for sale. You'll have to go to another world and buy them there, then bring them over to your dontdigup world.

Wilekat posted:

Has anyone got a solid read on how the fishing quests work in don't dig up / getfixedboi?

I don't really understand what counts as what biome and would quite like to start setting up some fishing holes. The wiki says something about the biomes counting as other biomes half the time and I'm very confused!

I'm not completely sure, but I think it means that in the underground layer where the fake surface biomes are, surface-only stuff will appear, but at a reduced rate. It'll flip a coin every time it tries to spawn something or generate something, and depending on the result you'll get surface stuff instead of underground stuff. I know I see surface critters like bunnies in the grassy biome, at least.

The biomes in this layer will also sometimes behave as though they're ocean biomes and start spawning ocean critters and enemies. I think it might be time-based, but randomly like weather rather than bound to a specific time period. My Jungle pylon is right next to some small pools of water, and it's not uncommon for it to be surrounded by crabs, seagulls, and annoying dolphin noises. That's where I found the Angler, too.

Vizuyos fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 12, 2022

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
If I wanted to start a brand new game with my girlfriend,(neither of us knows much about the game) is there a good seed that we could use that has a little bit of everything/is fairly representative of TERRARIA as a whole that showcases some cool stuff, has access to whatever important biomes, and would be considered generally a good start, or should we just random it and hope for the best?

I saw there were some special seeds but those look...advanced

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Eikre posted:

I fully understand why people are motivated by NPC happiness as a prompt for ~something to do~, but am continuously baffled by grown-rear end men of commerce actually stressing about it. The prices offered by most of them will literally never matter. The rest of them, it may matter once. The only recurring cost center is the Tinkerer and possibly the Demolitionist if you're buying fat stacks of dynamite, but both of those dudes wanna be underground, which is otherwise known as where the entire game takes place, and I am drat skippy you're going to want some pylons somewhere.

Build the 20-cell dirt longhouse of misery at spawn and, then like. Just stop giving a poo poo.

The creed of every landlord in the world.

Slum Loser
May 6, 2011

LordAdakos posted:

If I wanted to start a brand new game with my girlfriend,(neither of us knows much about the game) is there a good seed that we could use that has a little bit of everything/is fairly representative of TERRARIA as a whole that showcases some cool stuff, has access to whatever important biomes, and would be considered generally a good start, or should we just random it and hope for the best?

A regular, normal world will show off just about everything, except the other type of corruption (which you can make a new world for and just bumrush if missing content gives you FOMO). There is so much new stuff in the game if you haven't played in a while that you will likely miss some of it anyway unless you seek it out. There's special drops in some worlds, some of which have been carried over into the general game, and there's expert and master difficulty drops. But again, it's really easy to make a new world whenever you want and check out the special seeds/higher difficulties at your own pace when you're ready. Plus there's journey mode if you want to get crazy and switch things on the fly.

If you want to maximize chances of rare terrain/structures generating you'll want a large world but getting around will take a while until you have good mobility gear and build a rail system or pylons.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Agreed. If you don't know much about the game, there's so much in the game you won't notice the seed.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Vizuyos posted:

I think the purification tools will still work in a dontdigup world, but the NPCs that would normally sell them won't have them available for sale. You'll have to go to another world and buy them there, then bring them over to your dontdigup world.

I'm not completely sure, but I think it means that in the underground layer where the fake surface biomes are, surface-only stuff will appear, but at a reduced rate. It'll flip a coin every time it tries to spawn something or generate something, and depending on the result you'll get surface stuff instead of underground stuff. I know I see surface critters like bunnies in the grassy biome, at least.

The biomes in this layer will also sometimes behave as though they're ocean biomes and start spawning ocean critters and enemies. I think it might be time-based, but randomly like weather rather than bound to a specific time period. My Jungle pylon is right next to some small pools of water, and it's not uncommon for it to be surrounded by crabs, seagulls, and annoying dolphin noises. That's where I found the Angler, too.

It's this. From what I can tell, any pool of water more than 1000 blocks on the 'Surface' layer will count both as whatever biome you are in and an Ocean biome, as most of the artificial fishing spots I've set up will give me Ocean Crates in addition to Wooden or Scarab or whatever. My real annoyance is that the Snow and Jungle biomes overlap in the world I generated, so my fishing hole in the snow biome gives me Ocean and Jungle crates, but not Frozen crates, I need to dig around more to see if I can find a spot with the right music.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Every "important biome" is in normal seeds, too, unless you really want the other evil biome.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

I once made a map where I started piping lava from the underworld onto the surface. I then left the game on for a week and drowned the overworld in lava somehow. The pipe just kept generating infinite lava.

It was also super laggy.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

LordAdakos posted:

Any normal sized world should have all you need. Here are a few things that you could make a new world for, but isn't necessary.

- Searching for Pyramids in your world (they just have some nice early game items).
- Generating multiple worlds for a rare sky island drop.
- Creating a world for the other corruption type.
- Creating an expert world for tougher gameplay and additional items.

There may be a few others but those are generally the largest ones that come to mind, but you aren't really missing out.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

LordAdakos posted:

If you want to specifically do one of the special seeds, I'd recommend the Drunk World. It gets you both evil biomes, so you can potentially see and get everything (that isn't specific to one of the other special seeds, at least), and its changes don't really spike the difficulty/add extra mechanics to juggle along with learning the normal ones/alter the world and progression enough that it doesn't really play like a normal world.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Does anyone remember years ago when they were working on an extra large world size, and that never materialised? I assume that that was due to technical limitations, but I was disappointed because I like to have everything in one world... and that was back when there was a lot less stuff than now.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Every time I pick this game up I always end up getting bored with nobody to play with. I re-joined the goon discord but I would like to get more invested in this game with some new friends in the future.

But for now I am just in Journey mode to make things easier for me at the beginning again. But my invitation is open.

Edit- I play on Steam by the way.

Katamari Democracy fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Oct 13, 2022

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Kenning posted:

Building NPC houses all over the map was annoying when they first implemented it, but the pylon system is convenient as poo poo once it's established.

Yeah, pylons have been a great motivation to no longer build the Giant Soviet Blockhouse of Misery at spawn.

re: corruption spread, I play Journey and just go into the menu and disable it. Doesn't bother me one bit.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

JustJeff88 posted:

Does anyone remember years ago when they were working on an extra large world size, and that never materialised? I assume that that was due to technical limitations, but I was disappointed because I like to have everything in one world... and that was back when there was a lot less stuff than now.

This would be so cool. I’m getting the itch to get back into the game. Journey mode has been a godsend for folks like me with old man reflexes.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
There was(is?) a mod that allowed for extra large worlds but would quickly run into memory issues, especially if any other mods were running.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

wasn’t the extra large world just a tmodloader 64 bit feature? and iirc it wasn’t very stable either

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Do you still need a mod to make guns/bows autofire that doesn't normally have that feature?

I used to have a mod that when you shift clicked and mined a block. It would mine a set number of connecting blocks of the same type to make clearing out ore veins faster.

Both of the above mods broke at one point, and I never found working replacements as the game updated at a faster pace than the mod loader.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I was wondering why sunflowers were worth so much to sell. I had no idea of their benefits, all these years.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
No. Universal autoswing/autofire is now an option ingame.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Feliday Melody posted:

Do you still need a mod to make guns/bows autofire that doesn't normally have that feature?

I used to have a mod that when you shift clicked and mined a block. It would mine a set number of connecting blocks of the same type to make clearing out ore veins faster.

Both of the above mods broke at one point, and I never found working replacements as the game updated at a faster pace than the mod loader.
No, that's now an option in the base game to globally turn on autofire. Although not in the latest tmodloader version yet.

There's a few vein miner type things for the latest version of tmodloader, last I checked. I'm using https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2565639705 according to my subscribed mods list.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Zereth posted:

No, that's now an option in the base game to globally turn on autofire. Although not in the latest tmodloader version yet.

There's a few vein miner type things for the latest version of tmodloader, last I checked. I'm using https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2565639705 according to my subscribed mods list.

Are there any of those mods for just the regular game? I want to enjoy the new stuff but also no mine clay for 10 minutes.

I used to do a kitchen sink solution sometimes and just give myself a rocket launcher with tons of ammo to mine with. But accidentally wiping out high level enemies kind of ruined the balance.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

no the mod loader is required to load mods aside from texture packs and sound replacements

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Is terraria 32 bit or 64 bit? Never had considered that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Feliday Melody posted:

Are there any of those mods for just the regular game? I want to enjoy the new stuff but also no mine clay for 10 minutes.

I used to do a kitchen sink solution sometimes and just give myself a rocket launcher with tons of ammo to mine with. But accidentally wiping out high level enemies kind of ruined the balance.

This is what journey mode was explicitly made for, just spawn yourself however much clay you want.