Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Clark Nova posted:

building "walkable cities" means having public restrooms and if you take all of those away in order to punish homeless people they aren't going to magically stop making GBS threads

I think in france it's mostly dog poo poo, haven't ever seen something that's definitely human looking (except when someone had left a bunch of used toilet paper in a bush by a beach in the UK). fairly certain that human poo poo on the sidewalks is more of a USA thing (for the reasons you say)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I once saw a ladies dog drop one on a beach and she just kicked some sand over it

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
two guys at work just had a half-hour conversation about the problems with traffic, parking, people dropping off their kids at school causing long lines on connecting roads, drive-thrus backing up into regular traffic.

at no point were "cars" ever brought up as the cause of any of this lol

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

https://twitter.com/zhang_heqing/status/1519898637744156672?s=21&t=oL9NLWsG8GYs3psnzTI27g

looking at the date I’m sure this was posted back in april but every 6 months it’s good to remember that we need more Giant Bulge infrastructure

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

plz enjoy my video god bless

https://i.imgur.com/zUrhsUD.mp4

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Didn't find any. If I were homeless I'd just piss in the bushes.

You can piss in the bushes now. No need to be homeless.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I will say, selfishly, that I really appreciate EVs from a noise perspective. Highways are just as loud, whatever, but they don't noise pollute neighborhoods nearly as much.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I will say, selfishly, that I really appreciate EVs from a noise perspective. Highways are just as loud, whatever, but they don't noise pollute neighborhoods nearly as much.

My neighbor's EV makes an odd whistling UFO sound. I guess it's for pedestrian safety but it drove me crazy for weeks before I realized what it was. You could hear them coming even with all the windows closed.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Soup du Jour posted:

https://twitter.com/zhang_heqing/status/1519898637744156672?s=21&t=oL9NLWsG8GYs3psnzTI27g

looking at the date I’m sure this was posted back in april but every 6 months it’s good to remember that we need more Giant Bulge infrastructure

always lol at the bus and also big rig

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

was chating "SHOW THE DOG" the whole time and then u did BRAVO

mystes
May 31, 2006

may your lanes be as narrow as your dog's head

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Horace posted:

roundabouts!!!

actually gently caress it just go straight over

Lol this made me realize I have one of these near me but it's somehow even more convoluted

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

lol it's so thuggish

"ey Louie grab me an extra license plate from the evidence room, I forgot my EZ pass at home... And make sure it has a handicapped tag"

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

lol it's so thuggish

"ey Louie grab me an extra license plate from the evidence room, I forgot my EZ pass at home... And make sure it has a handicapped tag"

its vintage cop poo poo and it makes me lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i was a cocktail party last night and somebody was getting heated about the city colluding with trash companies to create monopolies and price gouge and i was like man u cant even get pissed about that. its as american as apple pie

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Smythe you lead a truly charmed life

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Pryor on Fire posted:

A little paint isn't so bad compared to stealing someone's license plate to avoid tolls and tickets

https://twitter.com/csgazette/status/1428790192962510851

Love the passive "using her stolen license plate" instead of "stole her license plate", the media is so consistent

quote:

Schulz and three other officers in the narcotics unit were placed on paid administrative leave for months while the city retained the Denver-based Investigations Law Group to investigate the narcotic’s unit workplace environment. Another officer had accused Schulz of using an epithet used against homosexuals to describe the way the officer looked for wearing a mask to protect himself from the COVID-19 virus, records show.

After that probe, the narcotics unit, which was called the special enforcement unit, was disbanded and folded into other operations at the police department. Schulz, who did not return telephone messages and emails seeking comment, has returned from administrative leave and is currently working in a unit that investigates gang activity. Dominguez declined to comment on the external investigation and how it was handled, stating it was a personnel matter that he could not discuss.
This is like the shortcuts a lovely writer will take in a 21-minute network television show to illustrate that someone is a bad cop.

Except it's real.

His Purple Majesty
Dec 12, 2008
One of the most evil things about America is that our cities were redesigned around cars and cars only forcing millions of people to purchase vehicles at interest for years, the money spent fueling, repairing and insuring them as well. How much money do Americans spend on auto related issues over a life time? I remember I asked my father a few years ago how much money did he estimate he's spent buying and maintaining cars over his life and I swear he just about shortcircuited thinking about it. I think that's how we should approach the issue getting people to think about the expense involved with cars and then asking them about a better future where they didn't NEED a car and could get around the city or country on fast and reletively clean public transit.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Smythe posted:

i was a cocktail party last night and somebody was getting heated about the city colluding with trash companies to create monopolies and price gouge and i was like man u cant even get pissed about that. its as american as apple pie

pictured: smythe

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

His Purple Majesty posted:

One of the most evil things about America is that our cities were redesigned around cars and cars only forcing millions of people to purchase vehicles at interest for years, the money spent fueling, repairing and insuring them as well. How much money do Americans spend on auto related issues over a life time? I remember I asked my father a few years ago how much money did he estimate he's spent buying and maintaining cars over his life and I swear he just about shortcircuited thinking about it. I think that's how we should approach the issue getting people to think about the expense involved with cars and then asking them about a better future where they didn't NEED a car and could get around the city or country on fast and reletively clean public transit.

It’s been posted in here before but it’s easily 6 figures. Maybe as high as 7 if you factor in environmental costs etc.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Boywhiz88 posted:

It’s been posted in here before but it’s easily 6 figures. Maybe as high as 7 if you factor in environmental costs etc.
On average owning a car costs something like $10k a year vs the $1k using public transit. So over 60 years x $10k, that's $600k car cost vs $60k bus rides. City Nerd goes into the entire cost of car ownership on the individual https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2rI-5ZFW1E. Now this is the average cost, and does not come close to the cost of owning 2 cars, a lifted truck, or luxury car.

It depends a lot on what car you own and how much you drive because most costs scale with how much you drive (depreciation, maintenance, insurance, fuel, parking). I drive once or twice a month, so my car probably ends up costing me at least $2k with car insurance + depreciation + etc. I drop $2k on something that takes up too much room in my garage.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Smythe you lead a truly charmed life

thanks op the trick is to be stupid as poo poo

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Dr. Killjoy posted:

they were getting heated in a "my business is being ripped off!!!" way and also their business is landlord

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

On average owning a car costs something like $10k a year vs the $1k using public transit. So over 60 years x $10k, that's $600k car cost vs $60k bus rides. City Nerd goes into the entire cost of car ownership on the individual https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2rI-5ZFW1E. Now this is the average cost, and does not come close to the cost of owning 2 cars, a lifted truck, or luxury car.

It depends a lot on what car you own and how much you drive because most costs scale with how much you drive (depreciation, maintenance, insurance, fuel, parking). I drive once or twice a month, so my car probably ends up costing me at least $2k with car insurance + depreciation + etc. I drop $2k on something that takes up too much room in my garage.

Yeah, it also puts into perspective why so many working people even with theoretically decent salaries are in debt. I mean after the basics (taxes, health care, transportation, housing, food etc), how much is actually left?

If anything cars like health insurance should just be considered another regressive tax on the population.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Dr. Killjoy posted:

missing the cocaine

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, it also puts into perspective why so many working people even with theoretically decent salaries are in debt. I mean after the basics (taxes, health care, transportation, housing, food etc), how much is actually left?

If anything cars like health insurance should just be considered another regressive tax on the population.

(in 2022, all that means is two Teslas.)

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, it is hard to understate how much cheap and accessible public transportation is a subsidy to the population itself. Just think if you could replace your car with a $100 yearly pass.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Hard to overstate just what a disaster non-london trains are in the UK. I took my in laws on a trip around the Midlands and every single train we were meant to take over the 4 days was massively late or cancelled. The ones we did end up on were packed and had broken air con etc.

https://twitter.com/JenWilliams_FT/status/1579535427257520128?t=1wyxSYmEl70z3JhtdDwkQQ&s=19

e: there's a very good website you can use to see if a given train service is actually usable. Here's one of the "northern powerhouse" routes https://www.recenttraintimes.co.uk/...vAg=10&MnScCt=2

distortion park has issued a correction as of 16:19 on Oct 11, 2022

mystes
May 31, 2006

distortion park posted:

Hard to overstate just what a disaster non-london trains are in the UK. I took my in laws on a trip around the Midlands and every single train we were meant to take over the 4 days was massively late or cancelled. The ones we did end up on were packed and had broken air con etc.

https://twitter.com/JenWilliams_FT/status/1579535427257520128?t=1wyxSYmEl70z3JhtdDwkQQ&s=19
Breaking the trains is step one to getting everyone to hate them so you can get rid of them and build more highways

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

mystes posted:

Breaking the trains is step one to getting everyone to hate them so you can get rid of them and build more highways

it's the UK, we don't build the highways either

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

https://twitter.com/edwardlamb/status/1579804175356919809

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/jbouie/status/1579664829643575296?s=20&t=--PDhW_KXGS2M-7G0qyDmQ

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

distortion park posted:

e: there's a very good website you can use to see if a given train service is actually usable. Here's one of the "northern powerhouse" routes https://www.recenttraintimes.co.uk/...vAg=10&MnScCt=2

It sort of makes sense, if the trains were privatized to make a profit (with the caveat of fixed priced increases), the way they are going to get around it is with minimal service and maintenance. It is just an insane way to run a country.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 16:38 on Oct 11, 2022

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Here's the full article: https://darrellowens.substack.com/p/a-car-put-her-dad-in-the-hospital

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/hostiledesign/status/1579806827612897280

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

two guys at work just had a half-hour conversation about the problems with traffic, parking, people dropping off their kids at school causing long lines on connecting roads, drive-thrus backing up into regular traffic.

at no point were "cars" ever brought up as the cause of any of this lol

I think this is because for most Americans they literally can't imagine none car dependent urban design, it's like how fish don't notice water

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

I think this is because for most Americans they literally can't imagine none car dependent urban design, it's like how fish don't notice water

oh 100%, the subject of ire was the school, because they were asking parents to only drop off kids at the crosswalk in front of the school, which is what creates the line. If it weren't for the pesky busybody trying to keep kids from dying, OBVIOUSLY the parents would have worked out a flawless, delay-free system for dropping off their kids.

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

oh 100%, the subject of ire was the school, because they were asking parents to only drop off kids at the crosswalk in front of the school, which is what creates the line. If it weren't for the pesky busybody trying to keep kids from dying, OBVIOUSLY the parents would have worked out a flawless, delay-free system for dropping off their kids.

here me out here, some kind of large yellow vehicle that all the children can ride at once that goes house to house collecting children so they can all arrive together, seems like a crazy idea but maybe we can get Elon Musk to invent it

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You could basically just coast by at 10-15mph and let the kids roll out of the passenger side. Maybe put in a bed of sand or pea gravel to help break their fall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

They have night trains from Hamburg to Stockholm again. They're just not quite done yet. But this makes me happy.

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

here me out here, some kind of large yellow vehicle that all the children can ride at once that goes house to house collecting children so they can all arrive together, seems like a crazy idea but maybe we can get Elon Musk to invent it

Something something yellow submarine

Bobstar has issued a correction as of 20:30 on Oct 11, 2022