Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

StrixNebulosa posted:

I know there's at least one IK out there who keeps refusing the star and honestly? They're smarter than all of us.

Imagine willingly choosing to be a mod lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

StrixNebulosa posted:

IK stands for "idiot king" (or queen) and in general they're mini-mods. They can hand out sixers freely, have some mod buttons, etc. In most of the grey forums they have a specific use - watch a thread, have some responsibilities, etc. It's a great way to see if someone can handle power before they're modded - or vise-versa, to get someone to do mod actions if they won't commit to the full star.

The game mechanics and lore of SA is deeper than I thought.

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006
so why aren't they probing him for different posts, why always the same one.

really lazy and unfunny imo

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Pajser posted:

fyad.txt

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Pajser posted:

it's not lazy, they're setting phone alarms and have an international relay to keep a 24 hour watch. the high effort level is how you know they don't take it seriously.

Ubersandwich
Jun 1, 2003

Why are people all " tee hee post in QCS about it for visibility"? OP seems to be taking this in stride, fully understanding the risks of the high stakes game of posting on somethingawful dot com.

I'm assuming they are referencing a legendary tantrum from days long past.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Because QCS is the worst forum of the lot

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
To be fair this would not be half as entertaining if FYAD didn't come early to get a Detective Fix on the trail.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
i'm torn because i like to read the QCS meltdowns, so maybe when OP gets to that forum he riles everyone up about how absolutely lame the fyad posters are, but at the same time my god those threads are so bad let's just skip that forum entirely on this journey

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Bad Purchase posted:

it's not lazy, they're setting phone alarms and have an international relay to keep a 24 hour watch. the high effort level is how you know they don't take it seriously.

lmfao

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
https://mashable.com/article/something-awful-fyad-forum-shut-down

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
I'd personally rather be chainprobed again (though I think it was only a couple of sixers) by FYAD than post in QCS though, at least FYAD's fun.
QCS is pretty much the antithesis of SA. while still being just as important (occasionally) as FYAD.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
qcs is exactly what sa is about: watching morons get mad at each other

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Farg posted:

qcs is exactly what sa is about : watching morons get mad at each other

yeah, its crack as opposed to snow tho'
E: i mean, i dont mean to poo poo on Shadow0's threads, i think its fun and excellent as well, its just as soon as i saw those 4 letters so early in the lineup I started giggling.

staberind fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 11, 2022

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
idk ive read some really bad stuff re: shadow0

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

OP can post in QCS when it comes up on the list.

It would be a really funny way to end this thread

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
theyre drat posts

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
I feel like we need to be sitting around in a hunting lounge, flames dancing in a lively fireplace. We'd be drinking the fine type of cognac and bristling over how shadow will never get past forums x or y.

Then we get a telegraph of them conquering it with only a probe and we bristle and boor remarks how we never doubted their success.

Godspeed OP

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

so many haters and clout chasers standing in op's way, echoing the journey of another once prolific thread creator

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bad Purchase posted:

so many haters and clout chasers standing in op's way, echoing the journey of another once prolific thread creator

Nom Epique seems to be well contained and enjoying their thread.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I like that OP is having fun on an internet forum. I also like that an IK is also having fun on an internet forum. I am a land of cntradiction.

Go, OP. Go.

Effective-Disorder
Nov 13, 2013
This is actually kind of fun. I hope the FYAD IKs actively go and threadshit in the threads that follow and don't just sit in FYAD and keep chain probing, but maybe I'm hoping for too much.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Effective-Disorder posted:

This is actually kind of fun. I hope the FYAD IKs actively go and threadshit in the threads that follow and don't just sit in FYAD and keep chain probing, but maybe I'm hoping for too much.

Can I hope that they don't? If the idea is to experience each forum as it is, it'd be nice to not have the same handful of comedic geniuses making all the threads about themselves.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
This guy has the courage to make actual content on a dead forum in 2022 and I applaud him for it

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
i think the chain probes add narrative zazz to OP's journey

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

staberind posted:

Nom Epique seems to be well contained and enjoying their thread.

actually now that you bring this up, a trip around the forums would be imcomplete without visiting nom epique in his dungeon.

the goal there should be to get nom epique to respond directly to your post because that is a dam hard thing to accomplish

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the trip won't be successful until he reveals his student loan balance (or lack thereof)

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Sitting Here posted:

i think the chain probes add narrative zazz to OP's journey

yeah, they're a feature not a bug. OP is rockin' it and i hope the earn more probes on their journey!

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

nullEntityRNG posted:

I feel like we need to be sitting around in a hunting lounge, flames dancing in a lively fireplace. We'd be drinking the fine type of cognac and bristling over how shadow will never get past forums x or y.

Then we get a telegraph of them conquering it with only a probe and we bristle and boor remarks how we never doubted their success.

Godspeed OP

Thanks again for the support, everyone! I swear I'll send a telegraph next time I get a chance! Maybe even a postcard!

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
New thread is up! 🕹️ You paid for it - now let's play it!

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Oct 15, 2022

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

"This is for a different but eqaually fail post. User loses posting privileges for 6 hours."

Looks like FYAD IK can't spell.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

teen phone cutie posted:

actually now that you bring this up, a trip around the forums would be imcomplete without visiting nom epique in his dungeon.

the goal there should be to get nom epique to respond directly to your post because that is a dam hard thing to accomplish

i've hung out with him in his streams and had a bit of banter with him, recently i've not dropped by so i'd better see how he's going.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Farg posted:

theyre drat posts

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
📝 Travel update:

As I prepared to cross the great Main Mountains to the South and enter Discussion, I ran into the rotating subforum, PCF, or P/C as their tag says. My schedule had more than enough to time for an additional stop, so I tried to set up a thread, but as I awoke that morning, I had discovered yet another agent from FYAD was now on my tail. I spent many hours in cat jail, but a small break in their shifts allowed me the chance to post my thread. Unfortunately, my time was limited, and my other threads suffered a bit of neglect.
My pursuers add a lot of excitement and drama, but I can't say I won't be happy when I finally make it beyond their reach.

PCF is a really great subforum, and I always look forward to its return every year. Unfortunately, I think not enough posters know about it. Hopefully, news of my journey can bring this subforum some more well-deserved attention.

I then did finally leave Main and entered Discussion. For some reason, VGS is here, and at the top no less. I guess the S comes from the last letter of "Games"? This is perhaps SA's fastest-moving subforum. This is a place where your thread can be several pages deep, but still be very active. It's going to be very easy for my thread to get buried here. Most threads are kept alive here by posters keeping them in their bookmarks or by searching for their specific game. A general thread like mine might not get enough attention to survive here. Still, I think it's a good thread, and I hope it motivates people! I know it has already helped me start to accomplish a very small goal of my own.

From here on out, things will start becoming ever more narrow and niche. It will be hard to find thread topics in many of these places to come...

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Dec 4, 2022

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I have absolutely NO idea what I'm going to do for WoW: Goon Squad!

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Shadow0 posted:

Travel update:

lol loving thias + enjoying the fyad twist and how that affects the storyline. thanks op, looking forward to more

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Shadow0 posted:

From here on out, things will start becoming ever more narrow and niche. It will be hard to find thread topics in many of these places to come...

Keep in mind that while people basically only post politics in D&D, the forum is not actually limited to only politics. So you can post a thread about any interesting topic that can be discussed/debated

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Shadow0 posted:

I think you're gonna have to play world of warcraft, op

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Shadow0 posted:

suggested threads if you don't want to actually play the game:

Are goblins behind wow tokens? Time is money?? Coincidence???
Why hasn't this forum been merged with the MMO HMO?
Thralls balls. What are they and how big?
[Theorycraft] Help me design the Bard class
Are Gnomish inventions really Arcane magic? Why or why not?
Wouldn't the Jailer have been better served by letting all those elves continue to live and breed exponentially because more births = more deaths for his army in the long run?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

lol loving thias + enjoying the fyad twist and how that affects the storyline. thanks op, looking forward to more

And to think so many posters wanted me to save them for last!

Edit: I do have to say though, I am a little disappointed I got the same probe reason twice.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 11, 2022