Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

SniperWoreConverse posted:

So what is stopping you from just freezing your pollution in a stone silo, sealing the freezers and entrance off with stone doors, and then setting it on fire? It will produce toxic gas... which is sealed in? Does the gas not dissipate unless it's outside? Wonder if you could use a chimney or something if it produces toxgas that doesn't leave a residual pollution. Probably using toxic weapons causes pollution buildup the same as letting the bags rot

People doing this for long enough is what leads to toxic fallout events.

Just lost a colony to food poisoning. 5 colonists in a good mood (other than the hunger/pain) were so slow, they couldn't bring 2 colonists to the hospital in time after clearing a mechanoid machine and they both bled out, prompting my only doctor to have a catatonic breakdown (married to one of them). Another colonist got an infection which became functionally untreatable in her torso and slowly died. The 2 surviving colonists were then killed in a raid and the man in black showed up too late to do anything. I've bounced back with just one pawn before, but unfortunately a dry thunderstorm destroyed all my poo poo and I decided enough was enough and just bailed.

Lessons: never hunt predators, never assign a low-level cook to cook-- even if they have two flames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

Can't wait to spread pollution across the entire planet and make it uninhabitable. Maybe pair that with a Save Our Ship run, going planet to planet spreading pollution like some sort of bizzaro captain planet.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Out of curiosity is anyone going to check out Stardeus tomorrow? Looks like it might be a fun Rimworld-in-space type game. I know there are a handful of those right now, but this is being published by Paradox’s new indie label, so it presumably has some long-term backing. Which is good because:

quote:

Why Early Access?
“A large and complex colony simulation game like Stardeus cannot be developed without the help of early community feedback. Similar games (RimWorld, Factorio, Oxygen Not Included) had great success with Early Access, and we will do our very best to make Stardeus a worthy addition to the list of exemplary Early Access titles.”

Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?
“2-3 years or more.”

The conceit of starting off by rebuilding your ship and thawing out pawns from cryo, then exploring different stars and “winning” by finding a planet to settle sounds cool.

Launching with workshop support and Deck Verified, too, which is pretty cool.

Anno fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 11, 2022

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Biotech Preview 2 posted:

Pollution also affects the planet at a larger scale. The more polluted an area, the more it affects the surrounding world. High levels of nearby pollution can cause acidic smog to roll in that’ll make your colonists’ eyes water. Acidic smog blocks the sun and slows plant growth, and the vaporized chemicals corrode exposed items. When starting a new game, you can adjust the world’s pollution level. Turn it off for a relaxing game, or turn it up for some extra challenge.

I am 100% going to try to run a tribal tech sludge drinker mutant colony if the game will let me :kazooieass:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh hey they're making the tear gas launchers vanilla, those are ridiculously OP in VE so that's nice.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

jokes posted:

People doing this for long enough is what leads to toxic fallout events.

Just lost a colony to food poisoning. 5 colonists in a good mood (other than the hunger/pain) were so slow, they couldn't bring 2 colonists to the hospital in time after clearing a mechanoid machine and they both bled out, prompting my only doctor to have a catatonic breakdown (married to one of them). Another colonist got an infection which became functionally untreatable in her torso and slowly died. The 2 surviving colonists were then killed in a raid and the man in black showed up too late to do anything. I've bounced back with just one pawn before, but unfortunately a dry thunderstorm destroyed all my poo poo and I decided enough was enough and just bailed.

Lessons: never hunt predators, never assign a low-level cook to cook-- even if they have two flames.

Yeah I like to grind up those 2-flame low level cooks, so I can have backup chefs/butchers, but it takes awhile. Get them crafting kibble, smokeleaf joints, and psychoid tea.. Let them butcher, too, if you don't mind the lower yield

I think cooking 5 is a good threshold

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
You gotta have your low level cooks butcher & kibble until they get to 5 or six, or only do one meal at a time. I'm pretty sure if you roll poisoned it does all 4, so by doing one at a time it does reroll every time but it I think in the end it's slightly safer.

Or try to do something like feed those meals to livestock without colonists eating them somehow? Depending on your map you can use food to lure huntable animals. Tea is a good one, I think booze too.

Got hit with absolutely brutal heatwave and then a fleeing settler event with an enemy force that was like 7 dudes with grenades, drat.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Wonder if the crafting mechanoids will be able to cook. It would be an ideal job for them since skill doesn't influence quality, as long as they have enough skill to not give food poisoning.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Does your plants ability affect the yield of a crop when you sow or only when you harvest? I'm trying to think of the best way to approach a tribal start and I have a feeling that I should time plants to be harvested right before winter sets in so that it keeps as long as possible, since the food pressure early on loving sucks without a refrigerator, but it's easier to plan around rice than corn since they grow quick, but they take a lot more work to harvest.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

SniperWoreConverse posted:

You gotta have your low level cooks butcher & kibble until they get to 5 or six, or only do one meal at a time. I'm pretty sure if you roll poisoned it does all 4, so by doing one at a time it does reroll every time but it I think in the end it's slightly safer.

I can't find any resources on whether it applies to the stack or not. I don't think that it should but I don't really know

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 11, 2022

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

jokes posted:

Does your plants ability affect the yield of a crop when you sow or only when you harvest? I'm trying to think of the best way to approach a tribal start and I have a feeling that I should time plants to be harvested right before winter sets in so that it keeps as long as possible, since the food pressure early on loving sucks without a refrigerator, but it's easier to plan around rice than corn since they grow quick, but they take a lot more work to harvest.

When you harvest, IIRC.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

jokes posted:

When you harvest, but I wouldn’t leave crops unharvested. Raw rice doesn’t rot quickly even unrefrigerated, but fully-grown crops are vulnerable to wild or domesticated animals eating them, in addition to all the usual dangers like fire, cold snaps, toxic fallouts, and blight. There’s a lot of events that can ruin a harvest in the field.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

I can't find any resources on whether it applies to the stack or not. I don't think that it should but I don't really know

It does, I'm pretty sure. Deffo had a dog get food poisoning before and then seen a colonist eat from the same stack and also get poisoned

Mind you, it could also be adding tainted food to a stack taints the lot. There's mods to stop a single tainted meal poisoning the entire stack when merged, but idk if that's a current concern - it sounds like it would gently caress anyone using any kind of storage mod, where one food poisoned meal could wipe out your entire meal stock.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Some of the Vanilla Expanded mods are pretty helpful for tribal stuff without being just totally broken. Smoking meat, for example, is really great because you use some wood to smoke meat and it produces... just meat that lasts longer. You can still put it into meals without a problem. Pemmican is also an option.

Nothing beats a freezer though. I wish there was a simple way to create ice with tribal/medieval tech.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Anno posted:

Out of curiosity is anyone going to check out Stardeus tomorrow? Looks like it might be a fun Rimworld-in-space type game. I know there are a handful of those right now, but this is being published by Paradox’s new indie label, so it presumably has some long-term backing. Which is good because:

The conceit of starting off by rebuilding your ship and thawing out pawns from cryo, then exploring different stars and “winning” by finding a planet to settle sounds cool.

I'm probably going to try it out. There's very few other games like Rimworld (except for Dwarf Fortress, obviously), and I think part of that is because Rimworld managed to crack the formula by keeping the focus on people, characters, and emergent storytelling. I haven't yet seen any other games manage that in the same way.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

VFE: Classical has a large passive cooler that can put a small room below freezing. It seems a little cheaty but there were honestly methods to keep things frozen (or st least close to it) before the modern era that would be hard to represent in Rimworld so it's a decent enough kludge. Also it eats a few hundred wood per year so that's a thing too.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I like the rumsuits from VFE Pirates but I also wish there was a way to simply brew rum. I don't need tons and tons of beverages like what Vanilla Brewing Expanded gives, I just like having the additional drug type that's a little harder than beer/tea

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
gently caress that, just don't get sick at the wrong time. My pawns will stop making GBS threads and pissing themselves when the non-farming/non-reseeaching pawn gets good enough.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

It does, I'm pretty sure. Deffo had a dog get food poisoning before and then seen a colonist eat from the same stack and also get poisoned

Mind you, it could also be adding tainted food to a stack taints the lot. There's mods to stop a single tainted meal poisoning the entire stack when merged, but idk if that's a current concern - it sounds like it would gently caress anyone using any kind of storage mod, where one food poisoned meal could wipe out your entire meal stock.

It doesn't taint the entire stack, but if the food poisoning happens on a 4-meal bulk job then all four meals will be poisoned. The stack (secretly) keeps track of how many poisoned meals are in it, and once all four have been eaten the stack is fine again. A fun trick is if you're cooking with bulk jobs and someone gets food poisoning, just force them to eat more meals out of the stack until they get poisoned all four times. Food poisoning doesn't stack with itself.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Anno posted:

I certainly will. I've been really impressed with the demo. Stardeus does some things a bit differently, starting with robot builders is such a great feature. I'll try the early access version and will write up a bigger post. I wanted to do that anyway to entice people to play Stardeus if I like it, but the Tynan's expansion announcement probably killed Stardeus chances to become a second, very like less successful Rimworld :(

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Speaking of games like RimWorld, has Ascent of Ashes been mentioned yet? Their kickstarter is almost done. Same team that did the Combat Expanded mod and that Phi mod that added a bunch of music.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Torrannor posted:

I certainly will. I've been really impressed with the demo. Stardeus does some things a bit differently, starting with robot builders is such a great feature. I'll try the early access version and will write up a bigger post. I wanted to do that anyway to entice people to play Stardeus if I like it, but the Tynan's expansion announcement probably killed Stardeus chances to become a second, very like less successful Rimworld :(

Eh I dunno. It seems like the kind of game that was destined to kind of brew along for a couple years before maybe making it big in 1.0. Kind of like RimWorld I guess? Having a publisher like Paradox should help a lot with that. If anyone knows how to incrementally grow its hardcore player base year over year it's them.

Sachant posted:

Speaking of games like RimWorld, has Ascent of Ashes been mentioned yet? Their kickstarter is almost done. Same team that did the Combat Expanded mod and that Phi mod that added a bunch of music.

I find it fun that both them and the VE folks have Kickstarted their own RimWorld-adjacent games and both look pretty good! Easy backs for me for all they've done for one of my favorite games over the years.

Anno fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 12, 2022

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

The Good Queen Clitoris posted:

Can't wait to spread pollution across the entire planet and make it uninhabitable. Maybe pair that with a Save Our Ship run, going planet to planet spreading pollution like some sort of bizzaro captain planet.

Gonna be a while before SOS gets updated to 1.4 unfortunately, the team is working on their own game as well and they're short on resources. Took them months to get updated to 1.3, plus they've been working at a mechanics overhaul for their next update to shift the meta away from donut shapes to vent heat during combat. Their experimental branch is on GitHub though if someone wants to help them out.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I wonder whether you can cheese the whole pollution thing. Just build a mini-colony in the arctic where you can export your pollution packs to. Which won't pollute it in the freezing temperatures anyway.

But I'm honestly a lot more excited about the genetic stuff. I've posted before that Rimworld's endgame reminded me of Stellaris' three ascension paths, psionics via psycast, synthetic via chroming your pawn, and biological via... not much at the time. This will finally change with the expansion. Modifying your pawns to become ideal settlers of the arctic or the desert sounds fun, and I vastly prefer this to making my pawns cyborgs anyway.

isndl
May 2, 2012
When it comes to cheesing the pollution mechanics I'm actually thinking of controlled disposal to set up cocoon minefields. When a raid arrives, set it off and one problem solves the other. Could maybe even work against the mechanoid super bosses.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I was wondering what Deep Storage was going to do given the shelf changes and it looks like the answer is to make a fork called Shallow Storage. Same containers and space, just using the new vanilla shelf system. Should be a lot less quirky too since it's pure XML according to the description, so no scaling insertion time or capability requirements.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
How are all of these pollution nexuses supposed to get visitors to your hospitality and gastronomy enabled Rim Hotels?

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

piL posted:

How are all of these pollution nexuses supposed to get visitors to your hospitality and gastronomy enabled Rim Hotels?

Well, they've said there will be at least one faction that loves pollution so just think of it as a niche destination

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

isndl posted:

I was wondering what Deep Storage was going to do given the shelf changes and it looks like the answer is to make a fork called Shallow Storage. Same containers and space, just using the new vanilla shelf system. Should be a lot less quirky too since it's pure XML according to the description, so no scaling insertion time or capability requirements.

Now that's what a good, long term, accidental pun looks like. Take notes Tynan "R.I.B.W.O.R.L.D." Lastname!

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

piL posted:

I'm think about all of the Americans who died at the Rock And Roll Hall of Fame carribean resort when I load up a mod list with Hospitality.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Gadzuko posted:

Well, they've said there will be at least one faction that loves pollution so just think of it as a niche destination

yeah there's going to be a full toxic biome with plants and creatures that will encroach and grow wherever you leave pollution sitting around, and I am going to live there some day :cthulhu:

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

One of my pawns has a functionally permanent -10 mood debuff because he's constantly getting rebuffed by another, married pawn. Any way to get this loser to take the hint?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Riatsala posted:

One of my pawns has a functionally permanent -10 mood debuff because he's constantly getting rebuffed by another, married pawn. Any way to get this loser to take the hint?

Station him in a 2nd colony.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Arrath posted:

Station him in a 2nd colony.

Speaking of: how painful is it to manage more than one colony at a time nowadays? Haven't played since before Royalty dropped, just a couple hours into starting back up, but thinking ahead. (I'll save posting my fledgling colony for when it isn't 50% blueprints.)

isndl
May 2, 2012
I don't think it's particularly hard to set up multiple colonies to be largely self-sufficient, especially if you use something like Colony Manager to automate stuff like hunting and woodcutting, but it's gonna be tricky when there's multiple raids going on demanding your attention. I've run into that problem with a caravan clearing out an ancient complex only to realize there was a mechanoid assault that already walked past my outer perimeter wall when I flipped back home.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Torrannor posted:

I wonder whether you can cheese the whole pollution thing. Just build a mini-colony in the arctic where you can export your pollution packs to. Which won't pollute it in the freezing temperatures anyway.

This feels like a sweet thematic element, the secret research base in the arctic is a classic.

Technically you could also just drop pod pollution packs onto any hostile faction base. I mean, why not? Sure the world itself can be effected by pollution levels but just, like, choose a base that's as far away as possible. Or choose a hostile base that's already very cold/polluted

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Riatsala posted:

Time shift him to never be awake while she is, or space shift him so he can't physically get to her to bother her, or launch him into the sun

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

QuarkJets posted:

This feels like a sweet thematic element, the secret research base in the arctic is a classic.

Technically you could also just drop pod pollution packs onto any hostile faction base. I mean, why not? Sure the world itself can be effected by pollution levels but just, like, choose a base that's as far away as possible. Or choose a hostile base that's already very cold/polluted

Either they like the pollution and become less hostile, or they get pissy while already pissed, seems fine

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Had a fun experience the other night. Had a small caravan out raiding a sealed vault only to have an utterly massive mechanoid raid roll in. 25-odd centipedes, dozens of lancers and pikemen, the worst. Defenders were almost instantly overrun and the survivors were pushed back into the mountain with no real hope of escape. Basically a dead colony... until I remembered the caravan had my best crafter, best researcher, and a decent plant worker. So just settled a tile away, carried literally everything I could from the vault over in a few trips and basically just picked up where I left off. Even managed to evacuate two remaining survivors by digging an escape tunnel and running them to the edge of the map while the mechs exploded the furniture.

Plan was to build up and get revenge, or at least nuke the old base off the map to deal with the mech army, but annoyingly I ran into increasing errors and slowdown so I couldn't follow through, but it was still pretty fun recovery. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atillo
Jan 9, 2007

SkyeAuroline posted:

Speaking of: how painful is it to manage more than one colony at a time nowadays? Haven't played since before Royalty dropped, just a couple hours into starting back up, but thinking ahead. (I'll save posting my fledgling colony for when it isn't 50% blueprints.)

I've found two is manageable if one of them is reasonably stable. At three the simultaneous crises seem to get right out of control.