Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

- Best talents
- Best strategy
- Best trainer
- MOST love of boxing

could there possibly be a more fitting world champion?

(though a double retirement leaving Sendou as the unhappy champ would be really funny)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
oh my god just loving cripple him already ricardo

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
hes just too good! He runs around the ring 18 times before every punch! He ate the gum gum fruit and now his punches change direction 5 times without losing any momentum! Ricardo has no idea what to do except stand there and pray for a quick death! Wow I love Woli

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Very fitting that the only thing worse than the first Woli fight is the second Woli fight

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Woli's first fight is still worse, because Ricardo isn't acting like a total moron like ippo was. He's at least trying to think of a way around Woli's bullshit and is playing it safe until he figures it out

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I really liked this chapter. Glad we got more insight into Recardo.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Monaghan posted:

Woli's first fight is still worse, because Ricardo isn't acting like a total moron like ippo was. He's at least trying to think of a way around Woli's bullshit and is playing it safe until he figures it out

FOR NOW

There's still plenty of time for it to get stupider!

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

I really liked this chapter. Glad we got more insight into Recardo.

Yeah, I either missed it or don't remember this fight being at Ricardo's request. I assume he was so bored of fighting 'regular' boxers that he just went to his trainer and said gently caress Me Up Fam.

I assume now that he knows what Woli is aiming for he'll be able to predict his movement and counterattack in some way. Maybe in a few weeks or something I dunno.

Rabite
Apr 13, 2002

Dynamiet Rab
WAR LEE is gonna get hit by a 1-2 and die

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Wolis first fight was a one-two KO punch of the worst written boxer ever facing the boxer with the worst strategy in the history of boxing. This fight is a lot better (SO FAR…) because Ricardo is acting perfectly professional and reasonable in the face of World War MonkeyBoxing. And he is using his brain! Finding strategies! Not doing things that put him at a disadvantage! Wow! The Fighting!

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

it keeps looking like woli is jumping back-first at ricardo which might be one of the most illegal things you can do

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Rabite posted:

WAR LEE is gonna get hit by a 1-2 and die

God willing

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Patware posted:

it keeps looking like woli is jumping back-first at ricardo which might be one of the most illegal things you can do

What? Reverse backstep mixups are some of the most high-level techniques you can learn in Elden Ring PVP :confused:

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I like this chapter but kinda wish it happened 2-3 chapters ago, just skipping the filler.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
How many more chapters/rounds do you think it's gonna be before Ricardo actually throws a punch

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Vizuyos posted:

How many more chapters/rounds do you think it's gonna be before Ricardo actually throws a punch

Another thousand or so

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

So Woli has thrown about 100 punches. He could just do nothing for the rest of the fight and he could win on scorecards alone.

Please have Ricardo so lost in thought that he does absolutely nothing.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Vizuyos posted:

1-2 chapters is my feeling.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Jiro posted:

So Woli has thrown about 100 punches. He could just do nothing for the rest of the fight and he could win on scorecards alone.

That's 94% of every Ricardo fight tho

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Vizuyos posted:

This is Ippo and we count that sort of poo poo in months.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Jiro posted:

I'm not sure you understand how scoring in boxing works

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rubellavator posted:

I'm not sure you understand how scoring in boxing works

How so? He's obviously taken the first 2 rounds so he should be up 2 points, if they stare at each other for the rest of the fight he wins by decision.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Takes No Damage posted:

How so? He's obviously taken the first 2 rounds so he should be up 2 points, if they stare at each other for the rest of the fight he wins by decision.

that read to me more like they think the total number of punches over the entire fight is the scoring criteria.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Is aiming for the eyes a thing? Is Woli deliberately trying to cut Martinez's eyebrow so it bleeds into his eye or something?

We are seeing a newer and more brutal side to Woli. Playtime is over.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

Is aiming for the eyes a thing? Is Woli deliberately trying to cut Martinez's eyebrow so it bleeds into his eye or something?
Yes! Hitting the eyes is great because you get both a blow to the brain plus a chance for a troublesome injury in just one hit. Deciding where on the body you are going to punch though isn't too much of a strategy, but it's better than Woli's previous "no strategy" strategy.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rubellavator posted:

that read to me more like they think the total number of punches over the entire fight is the scoring criteria.

I mean, so far it is, in that the comparison is between Some Punches and No Punches. Once both guys start swinging it gets more subjective but I believe at that point the judges look for who scored the most hits.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
have there really only been 2 woli fights

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Wally was said to have won a good chunk of matches due to Doctor stops from eye bleeding.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Takes No Damage posted:

I mean, so far it is, in that the comparison is between Some Punches and No Punches. Once both guys start swinging it gets more subjective but I believe at that point the judges look for who scored the most hits.

Well it's scored Round to Round. And there are still 8 rounds left I think.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Rubellavator posted:

I should have clarified that Woli has more punches thrown, and more punches landed on Ricardo.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

To go against the grain a bit, I think that "Ippo being second for Woli's title challenge against Martinez" is actually a pretty interesting concept for an arc in this manga that I never would have anticipated.

As long as Woli can keep his actions during the fight more reasonable and less "running circles around the referee," it can be a good match.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

everything about this arc has been really cool except for woli moving like a mega man x speedrunner in the ring

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Ricardo will throw a single punch and it will decapitate Wally and the crowd will love it

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I still think Woli will gently caress up and hit the 'stache instead of the eyes and Ricardo will activate "Tepito mode"

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

It is Round 8. The ring is full of circular tire tracks. As Woli drifts by backwards for another drive-by chaingun barrage, the crowd reacts in shock as Ricardo slightly contracts a muscle in his shoulder. ”Is- is he striking??” But Ricardo retracts again, keeping his guard up. ”Data”, he thinks to himself. ”I need more time, more data.”

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Bisse posted:

It is Round 8. The ring is full of circular tire tracks. As Woli drifts by backwards for another drive-by chaingun barrage, the crowd reacts in shock as Ricardo slightly contracts a muscle in his shoulder. ”Is- is he striking??” But Ricardo retracts again, keeping his guard up. ”Data”, he thinks to himself. ”I need more time, more data.”

It is the safe call after all, and that's what makes the World Champ difference

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bisse posted:

It's round 8, Ippo suddenly realizes: "Wait, you can *aim* for the eyes?"

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
Chapter 1399

So Wally is just the dirtiest fighter ever who cripples his sparring partners and ending his career is a moral imperative

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

this chapter is how the rest of the fight should be written. i'm only halfway through and its a lot better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

okay i was way more than halfway through upon that last post but yeah