Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

You will live at the government mandated Mens Warehouse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Injuryprone posted:

You will live at the government mandated Mens Warehouse

But you're gonna like the way you look. That old stoner guaranteed it.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

shrike82 posted:

it's pretty funny that the US is one of the few places where the vast majority of mortgages are based on fixed interest rates

otherwise we'd get more stuff like this
https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1575547197483266048?s=20&t=PQE7hLIcYFy9lu8549T2Ug

Realistically if this happens and over 50% of people default on their loan in the UK what could really happen? I just don’t see the half the home owning population suddenly being homeless and if your average person witnesses that it turns out if enough people band together they can tell the banks to gently caress off we could get some amazing content

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I just don’t see the half the home owning population suddenly being homeless

I like your optimism

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
those gainz

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
found a hosed up airbnb nearby

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/674477533097681713

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
They're definitely recording your yubnubs on hidden cameras.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

"well this could be kinda neat if it was on vancouver island or someth-oh"

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

where do you poo poo

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

indigi posted:

where do you poo poo

Same place as the pope

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
lol I thought it was kind of cool before I looked at the map

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

indigi posted:

where do you poo poo

well you're already in the woods, so anywhere you want I guess

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

nothing like a single layer of plywood between you and the outside world. who needs insulation? especially 75ft up a tree!

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

indigi posted:

where do you poo poo

Anywhere over the railing.

I suspect the owner is a Dave Matthews fan.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Great Conversations

The world slows down here. Time flows differently. In other places, you might find conversations about the weather and the Kardashians. Here you’re more likely to run into ideas and dreamers talking about art, intimacy, change, growth, and being downright silly.

indigi posted:

where do you poo poo

can't believe "outdoor bathroom for perverts" wasn't guessed

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

can't wait to pay a lot of money for the privilege of being outright silly in Indiana

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

quirked up in west baden springs

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches
Doin' heroin like most of Indiana: in a tree.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

hell yeah

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbzUTRAUac4

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://fortune.com/2022/10/10/home-flippers-are-in-trouble-again/

oh nooo

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

quote:

“I’ll never forget it. The music had stopped, and I didn’t have a chair,” he told Fortune.

Boardman has since rebuilt his business, diversified geographically, and started offering tips for fellow home flippers on how to use foreclosures to turn a profit.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
we need to bail out the flippers

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

:hellyeah:

Get hosed, assholes.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Kreeblah posted:

:hellyeah:

Get hosed, assholes.

It ends on a lovely note

quote:

It’s a much more problematic environment now than it was back then when credit was breaking down in 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2008, and the job loss recession happened. Because for the next few years, you had distressed property coming into the system in bulk. So that was like a paradise period for flippers,” Mohtashami said. “But here [in 2022 and 2023], it’s much different.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I know it’s fortune so it’s written for other ghouls but :laffo: at thinking any normal person today with how hosed housing is would feel anything for assholes who buy up homes as investments to drive up costs

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

maybe this has already been discussed here but it’s new to me https://www.propublica.org/article/yieldstar-rent-increase-realpage-rent

industry-wide price fixing , but it’s an algorithm so who’s to say if it’s legal or not

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Jenny Agutter posted:

maybe this has already been discussed here but it’s new to me https://www.propublica.org/article/yieldstar-rent-increase-realpage-rent

industry-wide price fixing , but it’s an algorithm so who’s to say if it’s legal or not

Racketeering as a service isn't illegal.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Jenny Agutter posted:

I like the part where they talk about how property managers are the weak link because they’ll cut deals with people but when it’s the algorithm you can be utterly heartless

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I know it’s fortune so it’s written for other ghouls but :laffo: at thinking any normal person today with how hosed housing is would feel anything for assholes who buy up homes as investments to drive up costs

"flipping" =/ landlording

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I like the part where they talk about how property managers are the weak link because they’ll cut deals with people but when it’s the algorithm you can be utterly heartless

rental I just got out of banned managers from deviating from the algorithm.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

just doing my job of telling you what computer says you must pay me in rent guards at the gates of a concentration camp levels of bullshit.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Just upgrade the computer so that it can be the landlord and cut out the middleman.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

"flipping" =/ landlording

its still incredibly lovely and parasitic. literally all they do is install lovely cheap flooring, cabinents and maybe do a couple repairs on obvious stuff on homes that should be selling low to first time or low income people in crappy neighborhoods. then they add 75k to the price. so 10k in product and (debatably) 5k in labor costs becomes massively more expensive.

if they're buying truly hosed homes and bringing them to livable conditions for a reasonable return, maybe ok. but thats not the majority. they're interceding in a process that working class people would do on their own over time and majorly distorting prices because they had access to such cheap credit.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'd be opposed to flipping just from their aesthetic choices alone. Every house around here that got remodeled in the last couple of years is gray and white.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ammanas posted:

its still incredibly lovely and parasitic. literally all they do is install lovely cheap flooring, cabinents and maybe do a couple repairs on obvious stuff on homes that should be selling low to first time or low income people in crappy neighborhoods. then they add 75k to the price. so 10k in product and (debatably) 5k in labor costs becomes massively more expensive.

if they're buying truly hosed homes and bringing them to livable conditions for a reasonable return, maybe ok. but thats not the majority. they're interceding in a process that working class people would do on their own over time and majorly distorting prices because they had access to such cheap credit.

i didnt read the article so maybe they used the term to desrcibe your first example but im thinking in terms of the second one, buying an abandoned/unlivable home and rehabbing it to neighborhood standards. That's essentially increasing the housing supply.

Even the first example i dont really get .. you're saying the houses should stay old and outdated so poor people can afford them? I dont really think that's what you mean, because the issue is that poor folks cant afford entry level homes with up-to-date finishes--not that entry level homes are built too expensive.

I dont really see the big difference between "contractor renovates home over 6 months for $X and profits $Y at the point of sale" versus "Homeowner renovates home over five years for $X, contractor profits $Y"

Dont get me wrong, it's not done out of altruism and they dont deserve any tears shed over them but i dont think they are a significant negative force on the market.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The stereotypical house flip (and I don't know what portion of them fit this description, but it's what's being criticized) is mostly focused on aesthetics and a few flashy upgrades that help it sell rather than important things like plumbing or electrical work. New paint, kitchen appliances, granite countertops, etc.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

4 bathrooms in 1400 sq ft what the hell

this is some "1 more bathroom => X more thousand dollars" logic taken too far

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Yeah that's some serious "every room is 10x8 ft" energy, and evidently no living room? I'd rather have the 1488 house, I have some good ideas for this halloween holiday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

i didnt read the article so maybe they used the term to desrcibe your first example but im thinking in terms of the second one, buying an abandoned/unlivable home and rehabbing it to neighborhood standards. That's essentially increasing the housing supply.

Even the first example i dont really get .. you're saying the houses should stay old and outdated so poor people can afford them? I dont really think that's what you mean, because the issue is that poor folks cant afford entry level homes with up-to-date finishes--not that entry level homes are built too expensive.

It's a problem to assume that housing needs to be endlessly "updated" in this way in the first place, and it's part of what's pushing housing prices beyond affordability for almost everyone.

Yes, if you watch stupid reality TV you'll see plenty of flippers taking wrecked homes and making them livable, but that's not what the typical flipper does at all. These people are mostly unskilled, inexperienced HENRY types with a little money (or access to loans) buying in on a get rich quick scheme. Lots of flippers swoop in on perfectly fine starter-level homes and tear them up to follow recent trends or otherwise show better. The whole reason the term "flipper" has become so derogatory is because these aren't people making lasting, durable improvements to increase the value of a home. They are, for the most part, people who are putting a cheap Instagram veneer on a house so they can sell it at a huge markup.

I've been watching homes in my neighborhood get this treatment for the better part of ten years now. This area wasn't particularly cheap to begin with, and almost all the houses flippers buy in this area are move-in ready. The playbook is almost always exactly the same: knock down a bunch of walls to create an open floorplan, tear up carpeting and replace it with LVP if there's not already hardwood in the home, install a bunch of midrange stainless steel appliances, and then spend way too much money on marketing. Every time. It's builder-grade renovations that drive homes out of reach for anyone who can't afford a $3-4k/mo mortgage.