Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Isn't Apex battle pass like 4 months?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Should've been 5-2 tonight for comp, but had a really bad C9 on Dorado that was 100% a W lmao. Sneaky fuckin enemy reaper caught us chasing lololol. Oh well, 4-3 for the night is good enough. Rank adjusted from Gold 4 to Gold 3. Quality of matches again were so good. Most fun I've ever had playing comp.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I wanted to try this game since it's free, but I never played OW1 and their 'new player experience' sounds loving terrible. Are the servers still stable yet at least?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I've noticed quite a few pubbie tanks on defense will charge straight up to the enemy spawn door and just stay there until they inevitably die and lead everyone into a team wipe, idgi. :iiam:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Oct 12, 2022

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

overwatch is a hard and complicated game to play so please be nice to your pubbie teammates doing Not Smart things

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Barreft posted:

I wanted to try this game since it's free, but I never played OW1 and their 'new player experience' sounds loving terrible. Are the servers still stable yet at least?

Should be good to go. I would give it a shot. there are an overwhelming amount of heros to choose from anyway. The starter set is good.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

headcase posted:

Should be good to go. I would give it a shot. there are an overwhelming amount of heros to choose from anyway. The starter set is good.

and the rest unlock quickly too. It's probably a decent new player onboarding aside from the chaos that the actual gameplay is

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I've noticed quite a few pubbie tanks on defense will charge straight up to enemy spawn door and just stay there until they inevitably die and lead everyone into a team wipe, idgi. :iiam:

It's fun and cool when your tank does this every single time and then you get annihilated separate from the team because you stayed back near the objective and then the tank dies while you're dead because they have no healing and when you lose the game is like "if you were a better healer you could have carried this game" and then you get demoted even further down into Dirt 5.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sounds like a skill issue.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

A lot of old unforced errors largely unseen since 2016 are returning to us once again, truly nature is healing

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Overwatch 2 locks up on me after about 5 minutes. I’ve tried changing all the settings without luck. Looks like the decision to play is made for me.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Bleck posted:

It's fun and cool when your tank does this every single time and then you get annihilated separate from the team because you stayed back near the objective and then the tank dies while you're dead because they have no healing and when you lose the game is like "if you were a better healer you could have carried this game" and then you get demoted even further down into Dirt 5.

They're not lying though! Lol. If you're playing with reckless tanks who aren't afraid to hold down W, you have to carry them with good heals if you want to climb. Otherwise just GG go next.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Ashcans posted:

Overwatch 2 locks up on me after about 5 minutes. I’ve tried changing all the settings without luck. Looks like the decision to play is made for me.

It breaks my wireless mouse every time I launch it too. No clue.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

Barreft posted:

If you're interested, I would definitely give it a try. There is plenty to love about Overwatch.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

comedyblissoption posted:

overwatch is a hard and complicated game to play so please be nice to your pubbie teammates doing Not Smart things

Hmm nope. You're supposed to say "tank diff" then spam gge z in chat when you barely win in overtime.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Delsaber posted:

A lot of old unforced errors largely unseen since 2016 are returning to us once again, truly nature is healing

I had 2 matches tonight in which all teams insisted on playing out past the choke on hollywood point A and got rolled. Is there some logic to that? Seems like some weird low tier thinking.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Bleck posted:

if 4 people in your team are spawncamping the enemy, you should be there with them because as long as you're spawncamping them, they're not going to contest the objective

tbh in like 99% of cases anytime your team is positioning stupidly the play is to position stupidly with them. otherwise you do no good in the fight and then you get staggered when they kill you 20 seconds after the rest of your team dies.

headcase posted:

I had 2 matches tonight in which all teams insisted on playing out past the choke on hollywood point A and got rolled. Is there some logic to that? Seems like some weird low tier thinking.

depending on what tier you're playing at, yeah a lot of people don't even know where defenses normally set up

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Herstory Begins Now posted:

if 4 people in your team are spawncamping the enemy, you should be there with them because as long as you're spawncamping them, they're not going to contest the objective

tbh in like 99% of cases anytime your team is positioning stupidly the play is to position stupidly with them. otherwise you do no good in the fight and then you get staggered when they kill you 20 seconds after the rest of your team dies.

It feels gross and wrong to do, but you are right: the optimal play in that situation is to join in the stupidity and help support your team.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
there is no mercy in OW :haibrower:

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

teagone posted:

They're not lying though! Lol. If you're playing with reckless tanks who aren't afraid to hold down W, you have to carry them with good heals if you want to climb. Otherwise just GG go next.

But... we have to push the cart. It's all the way back there.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Chinatown posted:

there is no mercy in OW :haibrower:

lol no you moron there's literally a hero named Mer...

Wait, what the gently caress??

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Scholtz posted:

lol no you moron there's literally a hero named Mer...

Wait, what the gently caress??

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Bleck posted:

a common and good strategy after killing or teamwiping the enemy team on payload is for all your team except 1 to push very aggressively forward to get stagger kills and map control. stagger kills can put the enemy team in a bad downward spiral.

if someone blames the cart pusher for pushing the cart in this situation then theyre just being dumb yeah

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Bleck posted:

Leaving 1 on cart is fine if you're hunting for stagger kills like comedyblissoption mentioned. Engaging the enemy away from the cart leaves them no chance to contest and stop it from moving.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

I love Baptiste. The dude's kit is just fuckin bonkers good

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I can't stop just playing Mystery Heroes and various arcade modes. When you can't decide who to play just let the game decide for you.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

It feels gross and wrong to do, but you are right: the optimal play in that situation is to join in the stupidity and help support your team.

as is often the case in OW, "all five team members are in roughly the same spot firing in roughly the same direction" trumps all other strategies

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I can't stop just playing Mystery Heroes and various arcade modes. When you can't decide who to play just let the game decide for you.

I never really played Mystery Heroes in OW1, so I gave it a spin the other night.

It's... weird. Kind of feels like the Mario Party equivalent of OW. Silly, but still competitive. It at least pushes me to try other heroes I never use and gives me an excuse for when I play badly. :v:

Total Mayhem is for when you give zero fucks and just want to bask in the absurdity. I loving love constantly charging in as Rein and pushing people away. :allears:

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Mystery Heroes also takes the edge off chat toxicity a bit since most players will chill out and roll with the punches knowing that team composition is out the window

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
What are your guys perception of the toxicity of the player base now that 2 has been out? I drifted off about 3 years ago after a few bad runs of toxic players. I just remember that it wasn't worth the aggravation. It was league of legends bad. Migrated to Apex and kind of forgot about overwatch completely until the last few weeks.

Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

Playing as a support in solo queue is absolutely cancer. Its so painful to play walking simulator cause your tank insists on hiding in the back and your dps cant deal with a pharah who isn't even trying to hide.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I'll turn voice chat back on when I decide to do competitive. So far no negative interactions in unranked at least!

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

The only negative interaction I've had thus far is calling out a teammate Ana for teabagging a tranq'd opponent (I just said "lameass teabagging") and they got mad at me for typing while playing Rein

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Porpoise With A Purpose posted:

Playing as a support in solo queue is absolutely cancer. Its so painful to play walking simulator cause your tank insists on hiding in the back and your dps cant deal with a pharah who isn't even trying to hide.

for me it's how every game has an average of like 1.2 DPS Moiras

pure contempt for DPS Moiras

I think it's brand new players so I get it but still

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

may i introduce you to my good friend, mrs. ana amari and her amazing daughter slaying hitscan rifle

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

lostleaf posted:

What are your guys perception of the toxicity of the player base now that 2 has been out? I drifted off about 3 years ago after a few bad runs of toxic players. I just remember that it wasn't worth the aggravation. It was league of legends bad. Migrated to Apex and kind of forgot about overwatch completely until the last few weeks.

I've had a few rude people, but I am very aggressive about muting anyone who gets nasty. So I haven't seen more than a line or two of salt at a time, and not frequently. I have ONCE seen the Blizzard auto-filter kick in and change something into a comment about needing to call their mom or such.

I also don't use voice chat at all, I'm a woman and no amount of phone number locking in the world will make that worth my time.

Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

Pattonesque posted:

for me it's how every game has an average of like 1.2 DPS Moiras

pure contempt for DPS Moiras

I think it's brand new players so I get it but still

Moira is the only healer who stands even a snowballs chance in hell of defending herself if anyone dives on her, it means all the bad players are grabbing her too. Ive been trying to play ana and its just impossible to stay alive if even a single person on the enemy team is halfway decent at flanking

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Moira is the only healer who stands even a snowballs chance in hell of defending herself if anyone dives on her, it means all the bad players are grabbing her too. Ive been trying to play ana and its just impossible to stay alive if even a single person on the enemy team is halfway decent at flanking

Against a good flanker you need a good team-mate to peel. Now those are rarer than flankers :sigh:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

lostleaf posted:

I had to report a "darkiekiller" and "cuumdumpster" in the same game, and not even for their names (which I didn't notice until I went to report them for the poo poo they were saying on voice).

Though, Apex is every bit as bad IME.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wankie
Sep 11, 2002

Look Glenn we're saved!

lostleaf posted:

My experience as a LONG time OW player (Gold border Plat rank tank main) OW2 is WAY more toxic. I can't tell if it's just people know that if they get banned for slurs they make new accounts for free. In just the past 3 games I have had two tank players actively afk for minutes at a time or just leave right at the start of a new round ruining comp matches. Or a DPS player on voice going on homophobic rants/slurs for half the game. I only experienced this maybe once a month in OW1.

I think part of problem is your sole win condition is does your tank know how to play the position or not? If your tank is worse you autolose if they are better you autowin. The Developers said they wanted to make each player more responsible for wins or loses but they didn't, they made the tank the only position that matters. Game play wise I think 5v5 was a colossal mistake if tanks are going to be so crazy overpowered compared to all the other roles.