Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The perfect race type to go up against the venom spitting mutant lizards Tyranids will be turned into.

Tyranids would be Insect Aliens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

They just made Gamer a type. Maybe they can use that.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Framboise posted:

I recently built a MiSTer and it's my favorite thing in the world right now. MPC is just the MTG version of that.

Mind. BLOWN. No fooling, no shitposting. This is so fantastically apt.

I can't believe I never thought of it this way, since all the anti-proxy people (and I used to be one of them) say "proxies are piracy" and all that. But who gives a gently caress if they aren't going to make the things adequately available? To the consumer, the ccg artificial scarcity and secondary market behave remarkably similarly to software companies not maintaining access and availability to their software back catalogs and yet still trying to resist ROM distribution.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

And the 30th anniversary set is Nintendo virtual console selling ROM rips back to people

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Tarnop posted:

And the 30th anniversary set is Nintendo virtual console selling ROM rips back to people

Also getting caught using open source emulation software.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Tarnop posted:

Just the Universes Beyond stuff or something else?

Universes Beyond, One Thousand United States Dollars, literally never-ending spoiler season, all of it. Every set is more disposable than the last. But since this thing is a big central thing in my friend group and is a main hobby we all share, it isn't something I can just ignore. I just wish Wizards would let stuff breathe, you know?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Heath posted:

Universes Beyond, One Thousand United States Dollars, literally never-ending spoiler season, all of it. Every set is more disposable than the last. But since this thing is a big central thing in my friend group and is a main hobby we all share, it isn't something I can just ignore. I just wish Wizards would let stuff breathe, you know?

Hasbro doubled their revenue years ahead of schedule 'cause nerds with disposable income to spare took the bait and now everyone else gets to suffer.

I guess the one blessing about Commander is that most people are coming around to proxies so the pricetag is still manageable outside of big events.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Heath posted:

You're definitely not alone in feeling this way. The pace of new releases has turned my fun time of upgrade hunting every new set into what feels like work. My only solution to this has been to halve the number of decks I'm actively maintaining and it's still kind of exhausting sometimes.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Tarnop posted:

You're definitely not alone in feeling this way. The pace of new releases has turned my fun time of upgrade hunting every new set into what feels like work. My only solution to this has been to halve the number of decks I'm actively maintaining and it's still kind of exhausting sometimes.

Every set, we publish an article specifically just for like "hey add these 10-20 cards to your deck building vocabulary" so that you can skip most of the spoiler season if you just want the tl:dr.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

pseudanonymous posted:

Every set, we publish an article specifically just for like "hey add these 10-20 cards to your deck building vocabulary" so that you can skip most of the spoiler season if you just want the tl:dr.

This is on goonhammer?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I generally follow a few cEDH content creators to help me keep a pulse on what's relevant and/or good in each set for the general meta. It's good enough for me tbh, otherwise keeping up with all of this poo poo is a tremendous pain.

The incessant flow of stuff coming out as frequently as it has been is definitely exhausting. I really think it would be nice if they gave their new stuff time to breathe with each release. It's like Christmas is every month and we don't have enough time to play with our new toys before we get thrown new ones.

Like, I don't play as frequently as I'd like to, but each set has had at least a couple commanders I'd think it'd be cool to build around, but by the time I decide I want to go through with building the deck for that, something else has come out and overshadowed it in some way/got my interest in some other way.

It's cool that there's commander stuff with every set, too, but it's still a lot to follow and keep track of.

Magnetic North posted:

Mind. BLOWN. No fooling, no shitposting. This is so fantastically apt.

I can't believe I never thought of it this way, since all the anti-proxy people (and I used to be one of them) say "proxies are piracy" and all that. But who gives a gently caress if they aren't going to make the things adequately available? To the consumer, the ccg artificial scarcity and secondary market behave remarkably similarly to software companies not maintaining access and availability to their software back catalogs and yet still trying to resist ROM distribution.

Right, I mean, they're not losing money if the person making proxies never intended to spend that money to begin with. That goes even more so for product they intentionally make scarce or refuse to print more of. Same goes for ROMs really (never mind that a lot of legacy content companies put out are just selling you those roms anyway), and even more so for games that are 20+ years old that are on antiquated hardware that you can't even find or access anymore, and are even more scarce because of collectors inflating the cost of them secondhand. I could have decided to spend a few hundred dollars on a few rare SNES games, or I could have spent a few hundred dollars on a device that replicates tens of thousands of games in complete archives. There's just no contest.

If you want to collect for the sake of collecting, then by all means, continue to buy MTG product. But if not, you don't really have much to gain by blowing your money on it and everything to gain from just printing off your own cards and playing that way.

Magic's kinda cool in that you can totally play the game for free. You literally could just sleeve up 60-100 cards with pieces of paper over them that have the names of cards you want them to represent, and so long as you're following the rules of the game, you're playing it right tbh.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 12, 2022

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Every new set is like ah okay here's the five or six cards I guess I can slot into my decks and then I forget about it because the new ones are already spoiling and there will be five or six more cards I'll slot into my decks. Nothing feels special or fun or more than just "okay I should probably order those within a week or two of the set dropping." There is no magic in Magic anymore, and I haven't even been playing all that long.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
I don't know if this helps or is more depressing, but this is something that a significant portion of players have been complaining about since the late 1990's. There's too many sets. There's too many products. The glut of products leads many of them to be terrible. Nerds are consumer whores so not enough players are disincentivizing WotC to knock the poo poo off. If people stop buying the Care Bears Secret Lairs and Swiffer Wet JetTM brand Commander decks and Imagine Dragons Dragon Illusion Tribal decks and whatever other bullshit WotC farts out on a weekly basis, then they'll stop. People need to make them lose money on these dumb loving products.

But they won't because we live in hell.

Thank you for attending my TED Talk.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Railing Kill posted:

I don't know if this helps or is more depressing, but this is something that a significant portion of players have been complaining about since the late 1990's. There's too many sets. There's too many products. The glut of products leads many of them to be terrible. Nerds are consumer whores so not enough players are disincentivizing WotC to knock the poo poo off. If people stop buying the Care Bears Secret Lairs and Swiffer Wet JetTM brand Commander decks and Imagine Dragons Dragon Illusion Tribal decks and whatever other bullshit WotC farts out on a weekly basis, then they'll stop. People need to make them lose money on these dumb loving products.

But they won't because we live in hell.

Thank you for attending my TED Talk.

Partner with Right Guard and include a stick of deodorant with every Commander deck, please.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Real talk, I like Secret Lairs and they're everything I want out of a collector product. My beef with them is how limited they are, and I'm especially not a fan of making unique cards secret lair exclusive at all. They did the Stranger Things one right, because while I didn't have much interest in it, I was able to pick up the in-universe printings of those cards for less than $10.

I don't think Universes Beyond is that big of a deal either, so long as, again, they make the cards available (particularly in-universe so they can appear in boosters). So what if your opponent has a Fortnite version of Rhystic Study or something, it's not hurting anything, it's just doofy and they've got every right to play the doofy versions of cards. The problem is, they're not really doing that. I don't see any of the WH40K stuff getting in-universe versions, which I think is generally pretty lovely because it means that, unless they are able to literally reprint that exact product again, we'll probably never see the cards from the WH40K commander set ever again. I bought the esper one because I liked a lot of the cards in it, but I hate that I'm tempted to buy the monoblack one because I think some of those cards are cool too, and my window for getting them is shrinking. It sucks! Same goes for the Walking Dead lair. I didn't care about it then, and I still don't care much for it now, but there are a few cases where having Rick or Glenn would be a good fit in my decks! Where's the in-universe printing for those? Make them available.

The biggest issues I have with MtG right now is a) making poo poo limited that shouldn't be limited-- make your product abundantly available so anyone who wants it can access it, and b) allow people to enjoy stuff instead of cranking out new poo poo every month for people to keep up with. It's nice that there's a lot of options on what you can get and collect, but there is absolutely such a thing as overkill and WotC has absolutely crossed that line to the point where it's literally driving people away. But they don't care, because the constant flow of new stuff probably drags in more people than it drives away.

It just kinda sucks all around tbh.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I wish the Land Secret Lairs had a significant amount of them. The Matt Jukes one was awesome, but I'd want a playset of each land, not just one of each. Same goes for the Culture Shocks one.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The shockland Secret Lair was the one for me where it stepped over the line into feeling really gross with the whole having to buy duplicates to get a full set. Like those F2P games with economies designed so you always have some amount of their currency left over no matter what you buy.

Oh and I guess also the fact that my friend has been waiting for a year (?) for his coin flip deck

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Tarnop posted:

Oh and I guess also the fact that my friend has been waiting for a year (?) for his coin flip deck

As someone who bought that, since last December. :smith:

I think it'd be kind of neat if, instead of these weird full price lairs for basic lands, that they had like a low cost monthly subscription you could get. Just like, pay 5 bucks a month and each month you get a set of each basic land or something in some sort of theme.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Tarnop posted:

This is on goonhammer?

Yes they’re called memory jar: set name

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Framboise posted:

As someone who bought that, since last December. :smith:

I think it'd be kind of neat if, instead of these weird full price lairs for basic lands, that they had like a low cost monthly subscription you could get. Just like, pay 5 bucks a month and each month you get a set of each basic land or something in some sort of theme.

:hmmyes:

The full text basics were funny, but not $6 each funny

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

The Libra Land Secret Lairs are the hottest of loving garbage. Like I know we're scales but c'mon DO something with it.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Jiro posted:

The Libra Land Secret Lairs are the hottest of loving garbage. Like I know we're scales but c'mon DO something with it.

The Aquarius one, as far as I know, has nothing to do with Aquarius. :v

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
New Kamigawa and Brother's War got me back, but I'm not sure how long I'll stay.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

The new Kamigawa set was quite a banger. There's about one good standard set per year, maybe two, and usually one Masters set per year that's good in terms of EDH and drafting. It would be nice for them to slow down to favor quality over quantity.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Railing Kill posted:

The new Kamigawa set was quite a banger. There's about one good standard set per year, maybe two, and usually one Masters set per year that's good in terms of EDH and drafting. It would be nice for them to slow down to favor quality over quantity.

Sorry, Hasbro can't hear you over the giant industrial press they use to wring every last wretched molecule of blood from their player base.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Magnetic North posted:

Sorry, Hasbro can't hear you over the giant industrial press they use to wring every last wretched molecule of blood from their player base.

Oh yeah. It's wishful thinking for sure.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Railing Kill posted:

Kamigawa is definitely this year's killer set imo, but New Capenna was pretty good too. I can't say much for Dominaria United since I've not paid it much attention-- it hadn't really made much a buzz in the cEDHsphere-- but who knows how Brothers' War will be.

Kamigawa was real good though

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Necron deck was fun, Hazezon deck needs work. Got hard countered by Elesh Norn making my tokens evaporate.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

Necron deck was fun, Hazezon deck needs work. Got hard countered by Elesh Norn making my tokens evaporate.

More like HazezOFF, amirite?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Batterypowered7 posted:

More like HazezOFF, amirite?

:smith:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I don't know why I am still stupidly jazzed about getting double-sided proxies made and getting two decks for the price of four. Gonna make a modified Bust Rodd's mutate deck (with a better mana base and ramp), a Shanna, Purifying Blade deck that looked fine for non-high powered tables (I might have gotten the list from a Smooth Brain EDH video), that Adeline STAX cEDH deck I like, and a stupid Allies deck just because I've wanted to have one for forever.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Oct 13, 2022

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
My friends got the idea in their heads to do a Halloween EDH night - not on Halloween, because we all have kids - with Halloween-themed decks. I'm thinking I'm going to build Tasha because she's a witch and I've always loved stealing effects in EDH. Just a bunch of clones and spell-stealing things with no wincons of my own is one of my dream decks, so it's going to be nice to have something I'll want to tinker with instead of a joke Scarecrow deck that I'd only play for a single night.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

That's a really good idea! And that fits with my upgrading Cpt. N'Gathrod's Horrorable Pirate precon deck! Scary creatures lead by a pirate, the most overused costume for Halloween, and we steal your fuckin candy! (Permanents) Perfect!

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Batterypowered7 posted:

I don't know why I am still stupidly jazzed about getting double-sided proxies made and getting two decks for the price of four. Gonna make a modified Bust Rodd's mutate deck (with a better mana base and ramp), a Shanna, Purifying Blade deck that looked fine for non-high powered tables (I might have gotten the list from a Smooth Brain EDH video), that Adeline STAX cEDH deck I like, and a stupid Allies deck just because I've wanted to have one for forever.

Play with clear non-matte sleeves :sickos:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Magnetic North posted:

Play with clear non-matte sleeves :sickos:

That's the plan. Gonna get some cheap inners to make them feel a little stiffer and some matte sleeves with a black back (I have a ton of Jet Dragon Shield sleeves). Then I'll just flip 'em real quick like they're all DFCs if I wanna play the other deck, lol

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Batterypowered7 posted:

That's the plan. Gonna get some cheap inners to make them feel a little stiffer and some matte sleeves with a black back (I have a ton of Jet Dragon Shield sleeves). Then I'll just flip 'em real quick like they're all DFCs if I wanna play the other deck, lol

Oh no, I meant fully transparent card sleves so you see the other deck on your card backs as you play.

Obviously this is a joke because you'd eventually be like, "Okay, that Cyclonic Rift is the Demonic Tutor on the other side" hmmm.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Magnetic North posted:

Oh no, I meant fully transparent card sleves so you see the other deck on your card backs as you play.

Obviously this is a joke because you'd eventually be like, "Okay, that Cyclonic Rift is the Demonic Tutor on the other side" hmmm.

Just flip the card to the side that would benefit me the most!

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

LifeLynx posted:

My friends got the idea in their heads to do a Halloween EDH night - not on Halloween, because we all have kids - with Halloween-themed decks. I'm thinking I'm going to build Tasha because she's a witch and I've always loved stealing effects in EDH. Just a bunch of clones and spell-stealing things with no wincons of my own is one of my dream decks, so it's going to be nice to have something I'll want to tinker with instead of a joke Scarecrow deck that I'd only play for a single night.

Play Mikaeus and be the one weirdo christian family that doesn't celebrate halloween

Or cleric tribal with stax so you ruin everyone else's fun while preaching into the void

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Silhouette posted:

Or cleric tribal with stax so you ruin everyone else's fun while preaching into the void

I've got an Orah Skyclave Hierophant deck, and it originally had around 15 board wipes, but I've since altered it so it's a bit less oppressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Thom Yorke raps posted:

Or you can Make Playing Cards to play with. For about 50 cents per card, I get double sided foil proxies - the double sided is nice, cause if you get bored of playing Timetwister in your blue deck, flip it around and it's a Wheel of Fortune for a red deck!

poo poo this is brilliant, why didn't I think of this.

MPC is pretty dope, I ordered 3 cEDH decks and 3 casual Commander decks for less than $200. The real "value" of the decks is like 10k lmao (they have played us for absolute fools.jpg). The only downside is that the shipping time has been brutal. Something like a month to get here