Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

what makes them not a gundam though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

No faces

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
no one shouted "it's a gundam"

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

ninjewtsu posted:

what makes them not a gundam though

the model kit box

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The fact Oz was using them, and not the colonies, presumably. The Gundams were created by the five scientists on behalf of rebellious colonies and while the 5 scientists also created the Mercurius, Vayeate and Virgo, they created them for Oz. Who probably didn't want to associate their products with the name Gundam, since they were fighting Gundams in the first place. The Gundam Epyon wasn't created by the 5 scientists or for the colonies, but it was created by someone who admired the Gundams, or at least their pilots, and wanted to emulate them. So Treize made it look like a Gundam and called it a Gundam because he wanted to follow in their footsteps.

So it's essentially the same case as with 00. Only, there is no distinct organization to associate Gundams with, because the colonies didn't create one specific organization to rebel with, and instead each of the scientists created one Gundam for a different colony and they all joined up. So it's just the colonies in general that Gundams are associated with really. Epyon even gets associated that with through White Fang in the end.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Where do the Griepe and Hydra fit in

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
No idea, because I know gently caress all about them having never read G-Unit. It sounds like a few of the G-Unit Gundams don't fit that mold now that you mention it taking a quick look at the Wikia for a few of the units, but maybe someone else can explain. Ultimately though, it probably goes back to the same thing as with UC, that AC is one of those settings with a good few entires and while Sumizawa (the head writer for Wing) is at the root of a lot of the Wing stuff, someone else created G-Unit and did their own thing so not everything remained consistent. At which point the word Gundam in AC can probably be just considered marketing too, like in UC.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

muike posted:

if it says gundam on the model kit box it's a gundam. if it don't, it ain't

*Laughs/cries in Gamma Gundam*

War and Pieces fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 10, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly I think the only reasonable way to define "what is a Gundam" within the confines of a series is to shrug off anything that isn't the main series because it's side material that tends to confuse things.

UC Gundams are Gundams if they have a face early on and eventually just a marketing thing in-universe too.
FC Gundams are anything designed to participate directly in a Gundam Fight.
AD Gundams are specifically GN-Drive equipped mobile suits belonging to Celestial Being (or formerly belonging to Celestial Being). A Celestial Being suit doesn't HAVE to be a Gundam but if it is a Gundam it was at some point associated with Celestial Being.
CE Gundams are a nickname Kira gave faced mobile suits because of the OS and otherwise just refers to something that uses the Gundam OS.
AC Gundams are machines directly based off the original Gundam Wing Zero. The Mercurius and Vayeate were entirely new designs rather than being based off the Wing Zero like the five Meteor Gundams + Epyon. The G-Units have a similar thing to the CE where they started getting called Gundams as a nickname due to their resemblance to the colony Gundams so they are in a weird grey area where they technically don't fit the series Gundams but it's also intentionally recognized they don't and someone decides to call them Gundam anyway.
AW Gundams basically just seem to be high-spec mobile suits with a Gundam face.
AG is a machine based on the original Legendary Mobile Suit built directly using the AGE System.
PD is any of the Demon mobile suits.
CC and RG basically just have Gundam be a weird old term that gets applied inconsistently because it's going off weird old history.

There are exceptions in a lot of those but almost none actually coming from the main series in most cases. Otherwise most of the shows, including AGE, are fairly consistent about what a Gundam is. The only times it is pretty muddy is in the UC and the UC has the excuse of "slap a Gundam face on it for marketing" being a legitimate element of the plot.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

gundams exist in a quantum state wherein they are gundams when i am looking at them, but when my mom is looking at them they are "transformers"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/lorenziniforce/status/1579470697050832897?t=HH0JRpqyezLroZ6WK5cl2g&s=19

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
https://twitter.com/doge_king/status/1579295067558187008

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

I'm halfway thru Turn A so no spoilers but up to this point it seems like Lauran may be an incell?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

War and Pieces posted:

I'm halfway thru Turn A so no spoilers but up to this point it seems like Lauran may be an incell?

He's vocel. Topic locked.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
A volcel and a simp.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Loran struggles to hold the ladies at bay and also at least one man

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I think Harry was my fav character. Like episode 48 spoilers

When he fights the Turn X and just randomly shouts "UNIVERSE!!!" while doing an attack he's done a bunch before without shouting anything and then gets hosed up and wakes up in the hospital wearing the pajamas lavender pajamas with bright yellow stars on them it was so funny that he shot up my character opinion ranking

TinyPairOfScissors
Oct 7, 2022

by Hand Knit
Loran has a girl and a guy straight up ready to go down on him the entire series and he stone cold doesn't let them have it, I'm pretty sure he's not an incel.

Also Harry rules.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Yeah there's absolutely nothing involuntary about Loran's celibacy, dude is volcel or asexual.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Loran is in a committed relationship with Dianna. I don't know if he's ace but he's definitely not aromantic

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

loran has what id call a very knightly view of romance, he wants to protect and care for dianna

TinyPairOfScissors
Oct 7, 2022

by Hand Knit
Yeah he's very much knightly love for Dianna, that dude would not sleep with her or anyone else unless ordered to.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Loran is actually a genderless angel. The fish toy is supposed to hide that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

loran has what id call a very knightly view of romance, he wants to protect and care for dianna

That said, I'm not entirely sure the two are connected. You can make a reasonable argument from the ending that he's romantically in love with Sochie, but his duty to and platonic affection for his queen come first.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

https://twitter.com/feezy_feez/status/1370175810913505280

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Not that anybody's interpretation of Dianna and Loran's relationship is necessarily wrong, obviously.

I just think there's something pleasant to the idea that they're in love but it's not really telegraphed or framed for the audience in a way that emphasizes their relationship. They're both rather reserved, Loran naturally and Dianna as a result of her position, and they both have the utmost trust and faith in each other so there's little room for tension or drama and their personalities aren't really inclined towards such. For most of the show's run Loran keeps his distance because she's his Queen and he's just some poor settler, and this naturally translates to developing a knightly or chivalric romance dynamic between them. But when she voluntarily steps down and allows Kihel to take her place, and identity, Loran's willing to break Sochie's heart to be with Dianna for the rest of her life. One could read his actions as rooted primarily in loyalty and concern for her health, and that undoubtedly plays a large part, but one could also infer from that rather major decision that he also has deeper feelings for her even if he hasn't been the most open about communicating or acting upon them. And Dianna, well. She clearly wants to be closer to Loran but she's very self-conscious about her role and responsibilities.

That said I do chuckle at the fact that it's also genuinely very easy, and honestly natural, to read their relationship as being Roommates. Of course Loran would be willing to take on the burden of being Dianna's live in butler and chauffeur, he's just such a loyal and kind person. Of course Dianna would keep Loran around as her right hand man, he's such a strong and dependable friend and she's trusted him with her life so many times already. It's a natural extension of the dynamic they already openly had.

I think there are enough hints to the potential for Loran and Dianna's relationship to deepen throughout Turn A that are subtle and without much attention called to them, but are present. And they do have a few quiet moments together that feel romantic. Magical, even. Like when they were doing laundry with the Turn A, and Loran gets to see Dianna at the happiest she's ever been. Or when Dianna initiates her waltz with Loran, however stiff and self-aware they were of the impropriety of it all. It wasn't a sweeping or passionate dance, it was restrained and understated, giving the impression of a stilted and formal courtly dance. But it was a court she created, right then and there in that meadow. With a simple gesture, she demonstrated to Loran that yes, she was the queen but in that moment there was nobody else in the world she would rather dance with than her knight in shining armor.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Their relationship is essentially chivalric courtly love, so the knight in shining armour metaphor is especially appropriate.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
This has come up before, but I can't remember the details - what do we know about how IBO did commercially, again?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

This has come up before, but I can't remember the details - what do we know about how IBO did commercially, again?

Someone else may have more precise data, but I can start things off. Bandai spoke of it as one of their big earners in the shareholder report, including having a brief interview with the producer showing the poster for the second season in their 2016 Integration Report. In Iron Blooded Orphans's first season, sales for the brand increased from the previous year. However, Gundam sales seemed to flag a little in the second season, with sales falling from 78.6 billion yen to 74.3 billion yen. That said, it seems to have been a problem in the non-Gunpla divisions, as 2017 (IBO's back half) sold 26.4 billion yen's worth of Gunpla, while Build Fighters only managed 18.4 billion in its year, falling below Kamen Rider. Further, IBO's first year, FY 2016, shipped 14.4 million model kits. (For 2018, where IBO had finished releasing new show models, Gunpla and toy sales were at 26.2, a slight decline that suggests Orphans was a positive influence on Gunpla sales, although not a decisive one. Further, looking at 2019's numbers explains why Divers got a sequel. The domestic gunpla sales boost in 2018 was absurd. I think it can, in hindsight, be chalked up to production expansion and other factors, given the continued growth going forward, but those were numbers executives notice.)

For DVDs, IBO shipped an average of 9,932 discs per volume for season 1, and 6,668 for season 2. Not astounding, but better than G-Reco in season 1, and much better than AGE or Build for both.

Going to anecdote, Iron Blooded Orphans reprints seem frequent, and Barbatos was the one Master Grade Bandai regularly stocked at Target for quite a while.

If I had to guess, I'd say Bandai was pleased with IBO's numbers, but not astonished. It did what they wanted and more, but it wasn't like Unicorn or SEED where the show dramatically outperformed all sales expectations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

IBO almost killed the franchise

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Gaius Marius posted:

You live entirely in a fantasy world don't you?

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Kanos posted:

Yeah there's absolutely nothing involuntary about Loran's celibacy, dude is volcel or asexual.

During the underwater episode is specifically perving on Sochie's tits and rear end thru the Skype screens.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Gaius Marius posted:

You're loving deranged

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Star Build Strike vs Sengoku Astray was pretty rad, nearly as good as vs Fenice. Maybe even better? Didn't see the superglue coming.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Nuebot posted:

You live entirely in a fantasy world don't you?

I wish people would stop falling for the bit, or they fall for the same poo poo Trump says every 2 minutes

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i want to hear more about ibo killing the franchise

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The franchise went to meet IBO and started pontificating and IBO beat it to death with a mace

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Gaius Marius posted:

Remember to source your quotes.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

In all seriousness, I never did look up numbers or anything, but didn't IBO do pretty well in the West? The first Gundam to do so in a long, long time?

Granted. I'm mainly just going off of fan reception online which isn't always a good indication of success or failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

If I remember right, I think it did pretty alright during its initial airing, but it got a boost from airing on Toonami.