Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

rollick posted:

Nobody else above the age of 40 in the top 20.

I was going to ask "what about Svidler" but looks like he has been losing a lot of rating lately. Getting old must be tough for the top chess guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i love that rosen’s love of tricky trappy garbage extends to duck chess

https://youtu.be/EHPPQO6vRLU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

chess.com may be owned by shitheads but it lets me practice against hyper-aggro chess engine personalities so it is a land of contrasts.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
I can't believe the Play Magnus app was bought for $83 million. I've never used it but isn't it just playing against an engine? Are there really that many people that want to play against bots?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

scroll up

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Tom sold myspace for 580 million dollars so uhh, people are happy to pay way too much for poo poo.

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.

totalnewbie posted:

Tom sold myspace for 580 million dollars so uhh, people are happy to pay way too much for poo poo.

Wow, I was friends with the guy for years and never knew he was so loaded.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

qsvui posted:

I can't believe the Play Magnus app was bought for $83 million. I've never used it but isn't it just playing against an engine? Are there really that many people that want to play against bots?

I was going to say that I enjoyed the puzzles in the app a lot, making it my favourite offline chess app while I was travelling through places with bad internet a few years ago.
Then I remembered that that was the other magnus app. And I have never uses Play Magnus.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
Play Magnus is a group that owns other brands like Chess24 and Chessable, which are probably more valuable than the app.

e: from Wikipedia, never knew this:

quote:

Users earn points by playing chess, or can purchase points for money. Points can be spent on querying the engine for move suggestions, and on the undo function (the cost of this is higher at the higher levels). With a large points balance, it used to be possible to win a chance of playing Magnus in person[10] but this is no longer mentioned by the app.

I wonder if anyone ever cashed that in

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

rollick posted:

Play Magnus is a group that owns other brands like Chess24 and Chessable, which are probably more valuable than the app.

e: from Wikipedia, never knew this:

I wonder if anyone ever cashed that in

i think someone recently did and it blew up into some huge drama

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

qsvui posted:

I played it on an airplane once because it was built into the in-flight entertainment thing and it was kinda fun playing through it progressively to see what "age" Magnus bot would finally crush me, but I can't imagine wanting to do that more than once.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I actually think the next frontier of chess AI is to make bots that are actually fun to play. It's getting easier and easier to code a bot that's impossible to beat, but on lichess for example its still n% chance to play top stockfish move and n% chance to play a random move. I think a bot that is trained on a neural model of chess puzzles would be great. It should strive to create puzzles during the game and setup tactics for you to find.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Salt Fish posted:

I actually think the next frontier of chess AI is to make bots that are actually fun to play. It's getting easier and easier to code a bot that's impossible to beat, but on lichess for example its still n% chance to play top stockfish move and n% chance to play a random move. I think a bot that is trained on a neural model of chess puzzles would be great. It should strive to create puzzles during the game and setup tactics for you to find.

thats the idea behind the maia bots on lichess. they work ok but not great at their stated goal i think. theyre really repetitive in the openings for one

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Ah interesting, I hadn't seen those before. I mostly just use offline -> against computer on the mobile app if I have a few minutes.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Maia's goal iirc isn't to play well, but to play a move which is realistic for a human of their rating

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
I wonder if in a couple years, cheating with those bots will be undetectable

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009
Money changes everything, and Chess.com acquiring Play Magnus Group/etc. kind of casts, you know, reasonable doubt as to whether or not there is a conflict of intest in the form of that $82.9 Million buyout. If my star who I just paid over EIGHTY MILLION DOLLARS for in their branding decides to be, for lack of a better term, butthurt over taking a 19 year old for a chump and not admitting to himself that, you know, he could have legitimately just hosed up, and then refuses to play in any matches with said person, throwing off an entire tournament bracket...

Well, of course you'd want to try and save face, even if you don't have the balls to tell your star player you bought that they should stop that poo poo, because it could be bad for business.

I have nothing but respect for Niemann for taking this and running with it, and kind of making a really good point: it's a game that speaks for itself. There are only 169,518,829,100,544,000,000,000,000,000 ways to play the first ten moves of a game of chess, and you literally have to think like a supercomputer to figure out the pattern as it's going along. It is entirely humanly possible for this to happen, because even if you are studying the board, the opposing player, and attempting to get into their head and plan 5 moves ahead, they're doing the same.

What I'm saying is Magnus Carlsen operating in assembly while Hans Niemann is in C, C#, C++, or any modern day form of coding/computing, and the human brain is nothing but a biological supercomputer to people like these. Hans is just operating on a newer model.

Dude looks, acts, and sounds like a savant who probably has an account here, even.

Edit: Just to have a small silly side note. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTaFuBJ2h1E

Someone tried to go and remake the beads. Enjoy.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Faust IX posted:

Money changes everything, and Chess.com acquiring Play Magnus Group/etc. kind of casts, you know, reasonable doubt as to whether or not there is a conflict of intest in the form of that $82.9 Million buyout. If my star who I just paid over EIGHTY MILLION DOLLARS for in their branding decides to be, for lack of a better term, butthurt over taking a 19 year old for a chump and not admitting to himself that, you know, he could have legitimately just hosed up, and then refuses to play in any matches with said person, throwing off an entire tournament bracket...

Well, of course you'd want to try and save face, even if you don't have the balls to tell your star player you bought that they should stop that poo poo, because it could be bad for business.

I have nothing but respect for Niemann for taking this and running with it, and kind of making a really good point: it's a game that speaks for itself. There are only 169,518,829,100,544,000,000,000,000,000 ways to play the first ten moves of a game of chess, and you literally have to think like a supercomputer to figure out the pattern as it's going along. It is entirely humanly possible for this to happen, because even if you are studying the board, the opposing player, and attempting to get into their head and plan 5 moves ahead, they're doing the same.

What I'm saying is Magnus Carlsen operating in assembly while Hans Niemann is in C, C#, C++, or any modern day form of coding/computing, and the human brain is nothing but a biological supercomputer to people like these. Hans is just operating on a newer model.

Dude looks, acts, and sounds like a savant who probably has an account here, even.

I don't know about all that

Chesscom is acting about how I'd expect them act even if they didn't have an explicit professional relationship with Magnus

There's nothing opaque about what is going on. Just about everyone hates Hans, Magnus is blackballing Hans in hope that he'll eat a ban from FIDE or just not get invited to stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsikAfMrNQA

I don't really care about Hans, he's a repeat cheater who did lie about his past cheating on the website and in paid events. I wouldn't want to play against someone like that either

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

tractor fanatic posted:

I wonder if in a couple years, cheating with those bots will be undetectable

Makes me glad I suck so bad. If I play someone cheating vwith a 1000 bot that's indistinguishable from a 1000 player what do I care and the folks cheating with 2000 bots will leave my pool quickly.

Another victory for mediocrity!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Faust IX posted:

Edit: Just to have a small silly side note. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTaFuBJ2h1E

why is Jesus so interested in cheating at chess? I thought he was already omniscient? Or perhaps he just likes the idea of the beads?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I've yet to hear what the people who think that chess.com is obviously making stuff up because of their conflict of interest actually think is wrong with the report

that post in particular is pretty nonsensical and demonstrates a lack of understanding about what's actually been happening and what the evidence is

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Faust IX posted:

A savant, lol. A savant that suggests an obvious tactical blunder in a post game interview about the game he just beat the world champion in, with the black pieces no less, followed immediately by asking what the computer says about his move. Definitely a savant.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the basic summary of the drama is "admitted past cheater plays extremely suspicious game; opponent handles it in the worst way possible"

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

cheetah7071 posted:

I've yet to hear what the people who think that chess.com is obviously making stuff up because of their conflict of interest actually think is wrong with the report

that post in particular is pretty nonsensical and demonstrates a lack of understanding about what's actually been happening and what the evidence is

i guess tbf you can say the chess.com report was somewhat misleading since they heavily imply the six tournaments they highlight are suspicious while being careful to say they're not actually suspicious

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

I just got rating points refunded by chesscom because I played against a cheater thanks chesscom

Apsyrtes
May 17, 2004

Salt Fish posted:

Ah interesting, I hadn't seen those before. I mostly just use offline -> against computer on the mobile app if I have a few minutes.

If you are Android, check out Chess Dojo (by Gerhard Kalab). The engine behind that program is really good at playing more like a human would at lower levels, and also good at playing in different styles. It adjusts to your level automatically. Great for offline against the computer.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

cheetah7071 posted:

the basic summary of the drama is "admitted past cheater plays extremely suspicious game; opponent handles it in the worst way possible"

I thought the consensus was that there was nothing out of the ordinary in the win against Magnus. Unless you're referring to Hans' past, then it should be games plural lmao

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

qsvui posted:

I thought the consensus was that there was nothing out of the ordinary in the win against Magnus. Unless you're referring to Hans' past, then it should be games plural lmao

I don't think it's the consensus that being unable to intelligently discuss a game you just played is ordinary for a GM

it's not a smoking gun, either; it's just suspicious

e: the summary could have been clearer that it was how Hans acted that was suspicious rather than the moves themselves

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

cheetah7071 posted:

Uh, assembly vs C+ or whatever duh it seems pretty plain to me

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

cheetah7071 posted:

i can think of a few worse ways to handle it, just off the top of my head

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Salt Fish posted:

I want to make a Bongcloud bot that always opens 1.e4 2.Ke3 and then moves the king forward whenever it's not an instantly losing move. The problem with trying to make Stockfish play the Bongcloud is that it usually wants to retreat the king right away.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

qsvui posted:

well it was slightly out of the ordinary inasmuch as most of his contemporaries seem to agree that it was the worst game that Magnus has played in years in a tournament like that, but yeah other than that no clear red flags unless you take Magnus's feelings about Hans not thinking long enough or hard enough in key positions at face value

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I personally find the stuff in chess.com's report about Niemann being an unusually late bloomer for a top-level GM but nonetheless having the fastest-rising rating of all time kinda suspicious, but I also recognize that outliers do exist in reality. However, combined with the evidence of him cheating all the time online including in games that really mattered, and him being unable to analyze his own positions but going straight to "what does the computer say" and him mysteriously having prepared for Magnus's surprise opening, I find Magnus's feelings about Niemann being too casual playing the world champion with black credible, and I have therefore reached the irrefutable conclusion that hans has a chess engine up his rear end

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

thanks. i'm drafting the email to arkady dvorkovich right now letting him know the official position of the cspam moderation staff on the issue

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

fart simpson posted:

thanks. i'm drafting the email to arkady dvorkovich right now letting him know the official position of the cspam moderation staff on the issue

thank you for your service

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Now I'm not saying this whole story took a major turn but

https://twitter.com/FIDE_chess/status/1580121846552199168?s=20&t=0awOUbIhCt4LbzgDlTCy2w

this whole story just took a major turn.

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.

qsvui posted:

Nakamura and Naroditsky were unable to spot the cheating in the games identified by chess.com and Naroditsky said he wasn't suspicious at the time, so it's probably safe to assume that his general method is too subtle to be detected by even top players.

Those were blitz games as well, in a classical game he'd presumably be able to hide it better simply due to having more time.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Hand Knit posted:

Now I'm not saying this whole story took a major turn but

https://twitter.com/FIDE_chess/status/1580121846552199168?s=20&t=0awOUbIhCt4LbzgDlTCy2w

this whole story just took a major turn.

Isn't that the guy who was a pretty good commentator for a lot of FIDE's official streams? But, I might also confusing him with someone with a similar name.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

VictualSquid posted:

Isn't that the guy who was a pretty good commentator for a lot of FIDE's official streams? But, I might also confusing him with someone with a similar name.

Last I knew the main FIDE broadcaster was Miroschnichenko but for some reason I think he was fired recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Hans has started covering his tracks by taking out members of the FIDE Fair-Play Commission