Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Manatee Cannon posted:

the real barrier is artifacts and it gets real tedious running the emblem domain for the 70000th time. even leveling someone up to 90 and upgrading their talents is a fraction of the artifact grind

tho I agree that leveling characters should be faster too. like the resource cost to hit 80 should be what the game asks you to reach 90. and it should still backload the cost so you level up to 70 way faster than you would now

I feel like allowing drops in the domains would make them feel less annoying and so utterly wasted if you got garbage purples and worthless rolls. Like, you'd at least get to stock up on those Fatui mage drops and slime bits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Xun posted:

Please tell me your wisdom, I would like to try a dendro support albedo

This is what I run to support Tighnari with him.

Concept's pretty simple. He can hold the Dendro set because his E maintains the -RES trivially easy on multiple targets. Damage is still respectable even without the Husk set. Additional synergies will depend on the specific Dendro, but he does have the EM buff on his Q that should make an impact on any team utilizing Dendro reactions. In Tighnari's case, the EM is a direct buff to his damage, and Albedo's flower combos with bow attacks in a pretty fun way.

The reason I think he'll work well with Nahida is because crystallize should trigger her E, though maybe the recent beta nerf to her ICD makes it a little awkward now.

My dream team right now is Nahida/Albedo/Kokomi/EM Raiden. Tons of passive damage and reactions going off constantly.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Emzedoh posted:

Goons of the Genshin thread, grant unto me your wisdom: I've been saving for Nahida because I'm collecting Archons, but I'm tempted by Albedo. I've been playing long enough that I have enough carries, but I hear he's pretty powerful burst support.

I'm 60 odd rolls into a fresh 50/50 with about 4k primos saved up. Should I go for it?

Do you intend to spend money to get Nahida if you miss her? 4k primos means you get a shot at getting her with that 50/50. If you roll for and don’t get albedo, you may not have enough primos to hit your guarantee for Nahida. If you roll and do get him, then your odds of getting her drop even further.

Do you have Beidou and Xiangling at C6 already? They’re both good characters to have cons on, which may also tip the scales towards rolling on his banner.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
What teams is Albedo "meta" on, nowadays? And do people have any predictions for what Nahida's best teams will be?
I'm also trying to decide if I should roll for Nilou, Albedo, or even Cyno before getting Nahida. For context I have ~30K primos and am 70 rolls into pity - I'm definitely guaranteeing myself Nahida, but if I get a 5* before her, in the worst case scenario I'll end up spending a lot of those primos to guarantee Nahida, and there are characters coming after like Scaramouche that I'd be interested in too

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I don't think Albedo is meta anywhere since Crystallize is basically a non-reaction that no one cares about. In that sense, he effectively adds non-reacting, non-elemental damage to any team, which lets him easily fit into any team that doesn't particularly care (although probably at the cost of some resonance or other). He would probably also work in a pure Geo team for obvious reasons. He's basically just Geo Fischl, iirc.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
As far as I understand it Nahida's best teams are expected to be nahida on-field hyperbloom (nahida+yelan+xingqiu+kuki/raiden) or improved keqing aggravate (with protoamber R5 and healer hat on Nahida). I am most interested in how she will interact with Cyno where she'll either be a major upgrade for him or an unbelievably massive upgrade to him (if she works with xingqiu for quickbloom). Don't trust my opinion on Cyno because mine is C2R1.

I used to like/use albedo a lot but I only use him with Itto anymore. If they don't make cinnabar spindle available + you don't own it I would heavily advise a skip.

Emzedoh posted:

Goons of the Genshin thread, grant unto me your wisdom: I've been saving for Nahida because I'm collecting Archons, but I'm tempted by Albedo. I've been playing long enough that I have enough carries, but I hear he's pretty powerful burst support.

I'm 60 odd rolls into a fresh 50/50 with about 4k primos saved up. Should I go for it?
He's not really very powerful and most of the time you don't even bother using his burst it does so little dmg. I love a lot about Albedo but if you're expecting a strong unit definitely skip. I have only ever shilled three five stars based on power level in this thread, Kazuha Yelan and now Nahida, so if you want a strong character I think she's a great pick.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 12, 2022

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Emzedoh posted:

I wouldn't as an Albedo owner. Nahida is looking up to be the best Dendro user for a long while, she got recently buffed, and will probably be the only dendro catalyst for a long while.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

ThePineapple posted:

What teams is Albedo "meta" on, nowadays? And do people have any predictions for what Nahida's best teams will be?
I'm also trying to decide if I should roll for Nilou, Albedo, or even Cyno before getting Nahida. For context I have ~30K primos and am 70 rolls into pity - I'm definitely guaranteeing myself Nahida, but if I get a 5* before her, in the worst case scenario I'll end up spending a lot of those primos to guarantee Nahida, and there are characters coming after like Scaramouche that I'd be interested in too

The only teams he's best-in-slot on are like Xiao 2anemo+2geo (with Zhongli) and Itto mono-geo.
Hu Tao XQ + 2geo used to be one of her best teams but I think Yelan XQ double-hydro is the new hotness instead? It's probably still great though.

He works as an off-field sub dps in nearly any team since he has high consistent damage, doesn't eat any field time, and won't mess up your reactions, but he's rarely the best.
But he doesn't shine nearly as much if you can't run him with Zhongli for the geo resonance.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Tae posted:

I wouldn't as an Albedo owner. Nahida is looking up to be the best Dendro user for a long while, she got recently buffed, and will probably be the only dendro catalyst for a long while.
Are we not expecting Baizhu to use a catalyst? Or do you mean sooner than that?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

FractalSandwich posted:

Are we not expecting Baizhu to use a catalyst? Or do you mean sooner than that?

Baizhou isn't until at *least* 3.6.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Yaoyao (3.4) and Bhaizu (3.6) are speculated to be catalysts

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Also I dunno if there have been any reliable leaks about Baizhu's weapon either. He looks like a catalyst-user but so does that new Mika kid who showed up in the event and I think leaks said he was a polearm user or something

gandlethorpe posted:

Yaoyao (3.4) and Bhaizu (3.6) are speculated to be catalysts

Ah okay, I probably missed when more Baizhu details came out

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Sometimes I wonder if many characters are actually designed without any particular weapon in mind and that's decided later in the process. Other than archers with special charge attacks, most characters don't actually use their weapons in their skill animations anyway? So, like, someone who's not holding a weapon looks like they could be a catalyst user because they're not holding a weapon, but then they could end up with spear with absolutely no change to their kit or design.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Seems like they made Layla a sword user because that was the least convenient option

Pope Urbane II
Nov 25, 2012

Clarste posted:

Sometimes I wonder if many characters are actually designed without any particular weapon in mind and that's decided later in the process. Other than archers with special charge attacks, most characters don't actually use their weapons in their skill animations anyway? So, like, someone who's not holding a weapon looks like they could be a catalyst user because they're not holding a weapon, but then they could end up with spear with absolutely no change to their kit or design.

Most characters use their weapons in their Q at least.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Pope Urbane II posted:

Most characters use their weapons in their Q at least.

Eh, I haven't done a survey but that is not my experience. Most often they just summon a damage zone of some sort (maybe with some posing during the close-up if they're a 5*). Like, Ganyu summons an ice orb, Fischl turns into a bird, Sucrose/Collei/tons of people throw a thing on the ground, Eula summons a weird light thing that explodes... Raiden of course pulls a completely different weapon out of her chest. Razor turns into a claw monster. Maybe some do but it's still the exception ime.

Edit: Xiangling and Xingqiu and Zhongli oh my.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Oct 12, 2022

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What's fun is that sometimes even characters whose skill or burst uses something like their weapon type still pull out a different weapon for it. Like Itto's big club, or even more interestingly with Ayato, who goes from wielding whatever sword you equipped him with to a totally different water katana in both his skill and burst animations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Zhongli even gets a fake spear for some of his normal attack animations

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Zhongli even gets a fake spear for some of his normal attack animations

That's cause he was "supposed" to have a Geo infusion but it was NeRfEd iN bEtA

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

gandlethorpe posted:

That's cause he was "supposed" to have a Geo infusion but it was NeRfEd iN bEtA
It was removed waaaaay earlier than beta lol.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

He should turn into a dragon while folding his arms during his burst imo

He should also turn into the dead dragon when he faints

e:I guess thats a liyue storyline spoiler

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

No Wave posted:

It was removed waaaaay earlier than beta lol.

I mean, I don't think it was ever a thing to begin with

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I've mentioned this before, but a lot of the earlier stuff seems designed around the assumption that normal attacks are worth doing in and of themselves. Which has turned out to be false. Every single character has unique and often cool attack animations even though only like 20% of them at best will ever use them in optimal play.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
On the topic of Itto's club. I want more claymores that are just big sticks, it sucks that debate club and maybe the bell if you squint are the only two I've seen and neither have the stats he wants. Though I guess that makes his burst seem more special, and even only mostly built the burst has close to a 50% uptime for me.

Clarste posted:

I've mentioned this before, but a lot of the earlier stuff seems designed around the assumption that normal attacks are worth doing in and of themselves. Which has turned out to be false.
I don't remember early in launch rotations largely being just cycling between skills and ults. Could just be thinking about how I played leveling, but it seemed more like you would swap out to whoever was strongest against an enemy's element and trigger reactions off them or the environment.
In that model it makes sense you'd actually rely on regular attacks more.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 12, 2022

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

gandlethorpe posted:

I mean, I don't think it was ever a thing to begin with
Oh my bad. And I agree! In zhongli's case specifically there's lore where he rains stone spears into guyun stone forest so having him manifest a spear is appropriate.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Clarste posted:

I've mentioned this before, but a lot of the earlier stuff seems designed around the assumption that normal attacks are worth doing in and of themselves. Which has turned out to be false. Every single character has unique and often cool attack animations even though only like 20% of them at best will ever use them in optimal play.

The funny thing is, they do this a lot for new characters who will never or barely get to use them. Kuki, Dori, Candace, and Collei all have pretty neat chains. The older characters who do actually use their NAs a lot are stuck with stock animations.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Coolness Averted posted:

On the topic of Itto's club. I want more claymores that are just big sticks, it sucks that debate club and maybe the bell if you squint are the only two I've seen and neither have the stats he wants. Though I guess that makes his burst seem more special, and even only mostly built the burst has close to a 50% uptime for me.
I want them to expand more weapon types to be "stuff that can work with the animations on hand but don't look the same." Like, greataxes or clubs for claymore, rapiers and hook swords for regular-sword, a big crossbow with a hand-crank or something for bow, etc. We have a fish spear! Sky's the limit.

This is also part of why Heizou is my favorite character: Unique attacks and animations that don't care about what the actual weapon you've equipped looks like.

gandlethorpe posted:

The funny thing is, they do this a lot for new characters who will never or barely get to use them. Kuki, Dori, Candace, and Collei all have pretty neat chains. The older characters who do actually use their NAs a lot are stuck with stock animations.
Pouring one out for Thoma, who has a fantastic-looking spear attack chain that you'll never see because his numbers are bad and he has no niche anyway.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Candace at least can theoretically buff her normals with her Q, even if it's designed to be more optimal to give the buff to someone else.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

gandlethorpe posted:

Mostly, yeah. Jean and Keqing have a lot of similar stuff. Then there's Fischl, who does chuuni laughs after each shot if you delay the button press just right.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Makes me think of the completely pointless constellation for Geo Traveler that puts an extra instance of Geo damage on the last hit of his attack string. Neat! But worthless!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Maxwell Adams posted:

Mostly, yeah. Jean and Keqing have a lot of similar stuff. Then there's Fischl, who does chuuni laughs after each shot if you delay the button press just right.

Does Jean do that same thing Keqing does where she does a little flip and disappears?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Clarste posted:

Does Jean do that same thing Keqing does where she does a little flip and disappears?
Sayu does this but it actually looks good/makes sense.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

That... is not what I'm talking about since they presumably don't share any animations at all, using different weapon types. We were talking about shared animations, not general thematic similarity.

Anyway I think Keqing's looks fine, it's mostly there to emphasize the apparent speed of her final thrust where she reappears behind them. It just looks funny if you stop the combo right there. Although you can also cancel it into a charged attack which also looks funny.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Oct 12, 2022

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Clarste posted:

That... is not what I'm talking about since they presumably don't share any animations at all, using different weapon types. We were talking about shared animations, not general thematic similarity.

Anyway I think Keqing's looks fine, it's mostly there to emphasize the apparent speed of her final thrust where she reappears behind them. It just looks funny if you stop the combo right there. Although you can also cancel it into a charged attack which also looks funny.

Bennett also copies all of Kaeya's normal attacks except the last hit IIRC.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Some characters share charge attacks but attack strings are almost always unique, like they may have parts that look similar but its more like they are generic instead of over the top like some of the newer characters have.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Honkai went beyond weapons not mattering when Kiana the Flamescion (A dual pistol user) uses a greatsword (which is still counted as a dual pistol because of how the game works)

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
HotV was using her pistols to finger snap and throw "subspace lances" like 5 years ago

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Way back before 2.0, there were videos floating around comparing the attack strings of characters and how, for example, claymore characters from Mondstadt had similar NA strings, which were different from claymore characters from Liyue.

Don't think that's really true anymore, with all the new characters tho.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Just chiming in that the Sumeru sound track is :krad:

I went afk for a bit with the game open, and it's kinda remarkable how well the soundtrack works as BGM. They need to add it to the full OST right away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Just chiming in that the Sumeru sound track is :krad:

I went afk for a bit with the game open, and it's kinda remarkable how well the soundtrack works as BGM. They need to add it to the full OST right away.

I think my fav track is the tavern

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JL4AZvbvjw

when that sax kicks in halfway through