Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Albino Squirrel posted:

Danielle Smith says unvaccinated people have suffered greater discrimination than those based on race, gender, sexuality and other.

https://twitter.com/cspotweet/status/1579941835551952896?s=20&t=6j41e8oAv6KTjHN_kOuhsw

I think that English needs a word that denotes "sobbing and laughing simultaneously". German's gotta have one, right?

Edit: video for the masochists

https://twitter.com/cspotweet/status/1579946052647780352?s=20&t=OfCmrXLwVSo3jwWs751Ekg

Guffaw is the closest I can think of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Christ I thought Kenney was the bottom of the barrel of MAGA-CAN politics

Oh how I am so wrong

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
We can go deeper, this well of poo poo has no bottom.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
It's be interesting to see what it's like to have a Sovereign Citizen as premier for a bit.

If Jason Kenney is warning you about fringe elements and 'populism with a snarl' entering the UCP, you know you're in dire straits.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
Kenney just wanted to be the one doing it.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
Well Alberta, you did it. You found an even shittier premier than Heather Stefanson.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Here's hoping both their terms will be short and we can expell them as quickly as when someone gives you piss instead of beer

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mad Hamish posted:

If we're arguing about Thanksgiving then I'm going to contribute and definitively state that if your turkey doesn't have Newfoundland savoury on it then it is bland and tasteless, change my mind.

i can only imagine that newfoundland savory is some kind of fish byproduct that stinks to the high heavens

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It's not true that the willfully unvaccinated are the most discriminated-against. Child molesters are discriminated against to a far, far greater degree.

And, like the willfully unvaccinated, they loving deserve it because they're awful excuses for human beings.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Arivia posted:

i can only imagine that newfoundland savory is some kind of fish byproduct that stinks to the high heavens

It's just winter savoury that comes from Newfoundland. You can grow it elsewhere, but it's just not the same.

I wish I could say I was surprised by this new Alberta nonsense but then I'd be lying.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Albino Squirrel posted:

Danielle Smith says unvaccinated people have suffered greater discrimination than those based on race, gender, sexuality and other.

you'd think their base of young, angry, white men would be upset she said someone is more oppressed then gamers

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Oxyclean posted:

you'd think their base of young, angry, white men would be upset she said someone is more oppressed then gamers

The three biggest things on Albertans minds: (1) high taxes (2) government overreach (3) girls in Call of Duty

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Skyrocketing inflation making gamer girl bathwater unaffordable is a close 4th.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Canada's favorite, most moé premier just dropped some new Western alienation:

https://twitter.com/PremierScottMoe/status/1579903127020785664?cxt=HHwWgMDSmb_h-OwrAAAA

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

So is this Conservative obsession with the constitution something that trickled over from the US, or what?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yes. they're basically playing "states rights".

No Canadian Conservative is out there with new material.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

It's also just their way of deflecting criticism from blue collar resource workers who's jobs are swiftly being automated away. "Out of work? That's Ottawa's fault!"

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

McGavin posted:

So is this Conservative obsession with the constitution something that trickled over from the US, or what?

Modern Canadian Conservatism itself is something that trickled over from the US.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

InfiniteZero posted:

Modern Canadian Conservatism itself is something that trickled over from the US.

A stream of piss flowing uphill because they don't acknowledge gravity.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

apatheticman posted:

Yes. they're basically playing "states rights".

You know the provinces do actually have a ton of explicit authority that the states don't, right?

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

tagesschau posted:

You know the provinces do actually have a ton of explicit authority that the states don't, right?

And that the actual industrial manufacturing base and where parts are made to run their economies are not in Alberta or SK, right?

Have fun buying your poo poo at maximum markup ratés and basically being White Puerto Rico

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

tagesschau posted:

You know that the provinces challenging the federal government are often doing it for partisan concerns which have nothing to do with the actual explicit authority and more to do with "sticking it to the libs". right?

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

apatheticman posted:

You know that the provinces challenging the federal government are often doing it for partisan concerns which have nothing to do with the actual explicit authority and more to do with "sticking it to the libs". right?

I realize that what's going on with Moe and Smith is 100% Trudeau Derangement Syndrome, but the idea that the federal government prevails whenever there's a disagreement is just cargo-culted from the U.S.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

tagesschau posted:

I realize that what's going on with Moe and Smith is 100% Trudeau Derangement Syndrome, but the idea that the federal government prevails whenever there's a disagreement is just cargo-culted from the U.S.

I think the Feds have been pretty strategic with "overreach" and are doing it for moral/existential reasons which are generally holding up in court. But sure, I get your point.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

tagesschau posted:

In Canada, federal laws prevail over provincial to the extent that the laws are in conflict. In the US, it's the same with federal and state laws. The biggest difference is in the plenary powers. In the USA, the States hold any powers not explicitly granted to the federal government. In Canada, the feds hold any powers not explicitly granted to the province.

In Canada the federal government is far more likely to prevail on a dispute with the provinces than the USGov with the states.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://twitter.com/ABDanielleSmith/status/1580257060465541120?s=20&t=L4JrEUogJ1MDWll-Zmp-cQ

Something tells me she'll be doing this a lot.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I should be surprised that she said that the willingly unvaccinated were the most discriminated people when the last residential school closed within living memory, but I'm not.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

how long until alberta has a holiday for remembering the unvaccinated

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Argas posted:

Hopefully after they're all wiped out.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Argas posted:

It won't be a stat though, workers do not deserve more days off

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

PittTheElder posted:

It won't be a stat though, workers do not deserve more days off

Its ok most of them will be on long covid long term disability at this rate when it rolls around*

* wish i was joking

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Randalor posted:

I should be surprised that she said that the willingly unvaccinated were the most discriminated people when the last residential school closed within living memory, but I'm not.

It's far worse than that. She didn't qualify the statement as pertaining to Canada, and she was born in 1971, so her lifetime encompasses a good chunk of South Africa under apartheid and also the Khmer Rouge, the Rwandan genocide, etc.

Mind you I expect her base includes a large number of people in this province who speak with a not-quite-Dutch accent for some reason and all found their way over here around the same time in the early 90s, so she'd not bring that first part up.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
She made a thoughtless statement, and she seems like an awful person, but imagining she meant that the restrictions on the unvaccinated were worse than residential schools or apartheid seems like a stretch to me. It sounded like she went to score a political point with her base. Maybe I am being too generous.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Tsyni posted:

It sounded like she went to score a political point with her base.

She did. Whether or not she had considered the meaning of the words she used to do so, doesn't change what she actually said.

This is the fun thing about being a politician, leader, and public figure.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Tsyni posted:

She made a thoughtless statement, and she seems like an awful person, but imagining she meant that the restrictions on the unvaccinated were worse than residential schools or apartheid seems like a stretch to me. It sounded like she went to score a political point with her base. Maybe I am being too generous.

Either she didn't mean what she said, or she didn't say what she meant.

One thing leads to another...

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

She didn't even clarify anything. She was just like "I didn't intend to trivialize the discrimination of minorities." But she didn't actually change or clarify anything she said when she trivialized the discrimination of minorities.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Tsyni posted:

She made a thoughtless statement, and she seems like an awful person, but imagining she meant that the restrictions on the unvaccinated were worse than residential schools or apartheid seems like a stretch to me.

It's what she loving said. You do not need to defend this.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The replies saying that she should double down and never apologize is all you need to know about modern day conservative politics.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Yeah, if you're going to say something like "the NEP was the worst thing to happen in the 20th century", you should probably be prepared to add some qualifiers when called on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I believe she didn't actually mean the restrictions on the unvaccinated were worse than genocide or apartheid, because I believe she is a pillock with a half-inch of brain, who is unaware of those things entirely, on the basis that they did not affect her personally. If she were any dumber, she'd have to be watered.

It still makes her completely unfit for office, of course.