Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Wibla posted:

Monday was off to a great start with a full day of meetings, with most of it being office politics bullshit and fights over fiefdoms (and implied: future budgets), then I get home, look at the date, and realise that it's been two years since my old man passed. Yeah...
Today? More of the above bullshit.

I hope the rest of the week will be better :unsmith:

It's been... jesus, four years for my dad and seven for my mom. It gets easier but is never easy. Here's to wanting to kick people in the head with their petty crap!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've been a bit pissed off today ever since the person who booked a meeting with clients with me there to provide technical input didn't show up and left me to apologise for us wasting their time. When that person passed on a message a couple hours later where someone had asked them to ask me to email a contact at a company to get a contract on behalf of someone else I just gave them that persons' email address and told them to do it themselves. I don't see the point in sitting in the middle of some sort of contract exchange when that's not my job, and neither is being some sort of legal assistant.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Today was also a rough day, where I and a colleague were presenting our CI/CD pipeline to developers and were met with unbridled hostility to the very idea that developers should not be able to deploy to production locally built images from their laptops. A myriad of criticisms made in good and not so good faith, and what amounted to a few “gently caress yous” only barely concealed by technical language. It really bordered on the edge of unprofessional, especially when their manager left halfway through and the engineers stopped hiding their contempt.

but but sometimes gitlab runners sometimes fail (which they never let us know about!) so obviously all CI/CD is worthless as a result. Easily one of the worst and most hostile meetings I’ve been to in my professional life.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Yikes. Sorry you had to endure that, I went through a similar thing trying to standardize on Terraform. Those dev fuckers just loved their ARM templates

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
You mean you don't have people use another computer lying around as a runner and call it good?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I am dealing with stupid gently caress SRE's who have IAC code with poo poo like 0.0.0.0/0 in it but are baulking at tooling being able to connect to their self hosted github. They say that this is a security issue.

gently caress you. The security issue is that your copied and pasted templates you barely modify, and its full of bad configurations which lead to live resources that trip loving alarms.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I was just dealing the a dev team that was running their "push to tfe" pipeline from branches because they didn't want to wait for pr approvals.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just received an email from Equinix, for an additional fee you can have a video conference with the smart hands while they work on your ticket.

I am pissed off on behalf of the smart hands because that sounds like a loving nightmare.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

20min into a vendor demo and the sales lead sends me a LinkedIn connection request. Uhhhhhhhhh yeah that is gonna be a no my dude. Hell, it would have been a no even if you'd waited until after the demo but I probably would not have felt quite so grossed out about it as I do right now!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Sprechensiesexy posted:

I just received an email from Equinix, for an additional fee you can have a video conference with the smart hands while they work on your ticket.

I am pissed off on behalf of the smart hands because that sounds like a loving nightmare.
Having been one of those smart hands it's not much worse than the time that $CLIENT filed a trouble ticket for a connection that was down, had my friend go clean the cable connectors to check if that would fix it, and then sit there and watch the blinking LED for "a while" until they verified it was okay.

They left him there for four hours.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

The Iron Rose posted:

Today was also a rough day, where I and a colleague were presenting our CI/CD pipeline to developers and were met with unbridled hostility to the very idea that developers should not be able to deploy to production locally built images from their laptops. A myriad of criticisms made in good and not so good faith, and what amounted to a few “gently caress yous” only barely concealed by technical language. It really bordered on the edge of unprofessional, especially when their manager left halfway through and the engineers stopped hiding their contempt.

but but sometimes gitlab runners sometimes fail (which they never let us know about!) so obviously all CI/CD is worthless as a result. Easily one of the worst and most hostile meetings I’ve been to in my professional life.

Jeez, I'm sorry you had to go through that. I was absolutely delighted when it was announced that we now had a dedicated devops person, and it was no longer my responsibility to push hotfixes to prod, and that I'd no longer have access to the prod databases. I'm always terrified of breaking something important.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The guy in sales who missed a client meeting yesterday asked me today if I ran through the agenda on his behalf.

lol, lmao.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Sywert of Thieves posted:

Jeez, I'm sorry you had to go through that. I was absolutely delighted when it was announced that we now had a dedicated devops person, and it was no longer my responsibility to push hotfixes to prod, and that I'd no longer have access to the prod databases. I'm always terrified of breaking something important.

Indeed. The only reason for engineers to show Hostility to CI/CD is because their build process is garbage and they know drat well it is. At my last job I set up the CI/CD pipeline to do the following (full embedded Linux images):
For the embedded Linux repository:
- Build the develop branch nightly
- Generate update files
- Run the updates on dedicated development boards
- Run through over 100 Integration tests
- Spit out excel spreadsheets indicating what passed or failed
- Releases where only able to be triggered via CI/CD
- Releases do all of the above tests
- Changelogs are scraped and autogenerated from git logs
- Artifacts were uploaded automatically to artifactory

For the programs repository:
- triggered on every push to every branch
- Unit test coverage had to be above 85% (automotive)
- clang-format and clang-tidy checks all have to pass no exceptions.
- all parasoft and sonarqube checks must pass.
- for the two python applications: black formatting must show no new changes and no mypy warnings.

It’s quite a good system and the older engineers grew to love it as it took a ton of guess work out of the release process and increased code quality.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

it turns out the fault was ours, their gitlab pipelines had been failing very frequently. not that they told us of course. but we should have caught it, even though delineating between good pipeline failures and bad ones can be challenging at times. speaks to a need for better monitoring of our service.

can't blame them for not trusting a service when they have literally half a dozen failed pipelines in a day. like yea it works on a retry but that's a terrible user experience.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm going to rewrite this to be less identifiable because I'm paranoid.

Someone who is not my boss sent me an email well after working hours for early next morning and expects me to put work into getting ready for it. Uh, no.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 14, 2022

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Iron Rose posted:

it turns out the fault was ours, their gitlab pipelines had been failing very frequently. not that they told us of course. but we should have caught it, even though delineating between good pipeline failures and bad ones can be challenging at times. speaks to a need for better monitoring of our service.

can't blame them for not trusting a service when they have literally half a dozen failed pipelines in a day. like yea it works on a retry but that's a terrible user experience.

Alerts?!?

(just kidding, I enjoyed that conversation and am bummed I was too busy to really participate)

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

Alerts?!?

(just kidding, I enjoyed that conversation and am bummed I was too busy to really participate)

not necessarily, there’s cases where pipelines should fail, so just alerting on that doesn’t make sense. The problem is our runners getting sigkilled in the cluster and it’s hard to distinguish that from normal test failures, especially because there’s lots of legitimate reasons for a kubernetes cluster to sigkill containers.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Would you say you were seeing more sigkills than normal usage? If so, alert on that!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

Would you say you were seeing more sigkills than normal usage? If so, alert on that!

Nah because sigkills or oomkills aren’t the problem, and we’d be defining a “normal” amount based on an existing baseline. It’s a good measurement to have, and it’s a metric you can already quantify with our tooling, and once I started looking at what was happening I noticed it was an issue.

But it’s still not the right thing to alert on. It’s pipeline execution time and the need for manual intervention that’s the problem. that’s something we can better measure by evaluating the time between merge to master and deployment in the cluster, and through the addition of automated retries for idempotent workloads. While we don’t have defined SLAs or SLOs for code -> live (and in this case it’s still <10 min), that’s the real impact on the team in question. Who cares whether a unit of work gets picked up by one worker versus another one? This provides better feedback to the team and is applicable not just to managing pipeline capacity and speed but also governing testing strategies, which is an improvement we’re making in tandem.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 14, 2022

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Interesting! Thanks for sharing. I've not dealt with K8s before.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

The Iron Rose posted:

Holy poo poo that’s rough. You are going to need buy in from people much, much higher on the food chain for them to change their attitude, maybe even create a triage team to act as a buffer for your CI/CD pipeline.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

My best team member is at our home office this week for a major project kickoff meeting.

He texted me some really ominous stuff around 8pm. He's absolutely furious about something. He mentioned a specific name and team group that I have some history with, and they are loving snakes. He said he's gonna sleep on it and sober up before he communicates any more.

Those people are the worst kind of back-biting, throw-you-under-the-bus bullshit I've ever encountered in any organization. Up to and including the company with the pee hole in the basement.

I have a very, very strong feeling I know exactly what's going on. I have a feeling they're trying to push ownership of a particular piece of this project on us--a piece that is massively overdue--and are playing political games to make it sound like we're being derelict in our duties by not having done it, despite it being square in their laps for over a year.

I know this is all very vagueposting, but if this guy is upset, I'm worried. Dude is super chill. I've only seen him angry once or twice and it was heavily justified.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

ConfusedUs posted:

Dude is super chill. I've only seen him angry once or twice and it was heavily justified.

Still waters run deep.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Anyone else getting LinkedIn requests from people who immediately offer you training courses if you accept? It's like there are entire fake profiles claiming to work in one field and then magically they're actually just selling courses for that field.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

Arquinsiel posted:

Anyone else getting LinkedIn requests from people who immediately offer you training courses if you accept? It's like there are entire fake profiles claiming to work in one field and then magically they're actually just selling courses for that field.

No, i am getting hammered with recruiters trying to get me on Ariba projects that i know about that are poo poo shows or joining an indian consulting firm for a 6 month engagement.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

RoboBoogie posted:

No, i am getting hammered with recruiters trying to get me on Ariba projects that i know about that are poo poo shows or joining an indian consulting firm for a 6 month engagement.

No blockchain? Man, you're really missing out if you're not joining the latest and greatest shitcoin - web3 - blockchain wonder. Or those little start-ups that want someone to create a distributed system that can handle 100k QPS, because of course they'll grow to need that at some point this century.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

Some dude connected with me because we have mutuals and then tried to get me to enlist him as a realtor and even followed up. Stupid website sometimes.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Like he wanted you to get him to sell your house or he wanted you to buy a house from him? Either way that's bizzare, but one is slightly more bizzare than the other.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Arquinsiel posted:

Like he wanted you to get him to sell your house or he wanted you to buy a house from him? Either way that's bizzare, but one is slightly more bizzare than the other.

Wow learn to spel moran.

It's spelled "bazaar".

God.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Absolutely the dumbest thing I have ever spent $4 on:

https://www.oreo.com/thinvite

No regrets

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

omg clippy cookies

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Sirotan posted:

No regrets

The Fool posted:

omg clippy cookies

A new meaning to O365.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Sirotan posted:

No regrets

Thindows365 already looking pretty sweet

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

They won't ship to me, I am now incredibly angry.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I'll share unwrapping pictures

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The Fool posted:

:emptyquote:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The Fool posted:

I am so sorry :(

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

My coworker's old version of LogMeIn getting flagged by our non-MS AV until it was updated to current has basically nothing to do with SmartScreen bitching about the customer-side applet, drat it.

Please, for the love of gently caress, bossman, shove off and let your tech witch do her job instead of insisting two unrelated problems on two different computers are affecting each other.

E:

Cx Email: "I need $PRINTER installed."
Moi, in chat, after getting remoted in: "$PRINTER is already connected."
Cx: "Well, what I forgot to mention is I actually need the print driver reinstalled, because when I try to print PDFs, it gives me this PCL XL error on the printout..."

:bang:

dragonshardz fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 20, 2022

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Pissing me off: Apple only added modern auth in iOS 11, anyone who added their Apple Mail before that needs to remove and re-add their account as M365 is actively depreciating basic auth for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's meant to sort that out automatically