Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
Googs offering me $266 for trading in my cracked Pixel 3 XL. I don't get how they're making money on these new phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

That's not going to be everything though. I'm really wanting to not lose various pics, etc.

Your pics ought to be backed up in the Photos app, no?

Tetrabor posted:

Googs offering me $266 for trading in my cracked Pixel 3 XL. I don't get how they're making money on these new phones.

I'm getting $440 for my Pixel 6 which I bought brand new, on sale, for $400 three weeks ago. I dunno if shortages are causing demand for refurbs to go up or what.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I’m sure having a stock of next to new phones for refurbs helps buffet their losses, but they likely aren’t making money doing these deals, but it’s worth it to them to get people into their market for data collection, Android testing and other points of ecosystem business.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Maybe people are actually subscribing to Pixel/Play pass or whatever else? Phone protection plans?

I'm not sure what Samsung gets out of their trade in program but I guess enough people actually pay close to the ridiculous MSRP for the Ultra/bendy phones.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

That's not going to be everything though. I'm really wanting to not lose various pics, etc.

Do you have a replacement screen? From your initial post it seems like you tried to remove the already hosed up screen and... broke it some more? I would just try to hook up a new screen far enough to turn the phone on and operate it enough to move your data off (i.e. don't try to put the hardware all back together, it's toast). That's probably your only real possible path to DYI success. The other option is taking it to a repair shop but that's hardly a guaranteed outcome either.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Does the embargo not lift today? I thought it was the 12th but zero reviews indicates otherwise.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

Google hasn't used a Qualcomm CPU since the Pixel 5a over a year ago. I wouldn't really call it a leak or rumor. Google designing and using their own SoCs has been like the headline banner feature since the 6 came out.

That's what I get for posting while sleepy. I got confused between the name of the custom Pixel SoC on the 6/7 and the SD8+.

I know Gen Two of the Pixel chip has better graphics cores, but I'm hoping it has better efficiency and battery life like the SD8+. No idea if that's the case or if the Pixel 7 chip is basically the same but a minor bump.

Embargo lifts tomorrow.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I have dual sims on my 6a and there used to be an option to change what number you were calling from in the dialer, but with recent updates it seems like that functionality is gone. Anyone know if there is a quick way to elect what number to place an outgoing call on?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Incessant Excess posted:

Does the embargo not lift today? I thought it was the 12th but zero reviews indicates otherwise.

I thought it was today. Maybe it's a specific time.

FistEnergy posted:

That's what I get for posting while sleepy. I got confused between the name of the custom Pixel SoC on the 6/7 and the SD8+.

I know Gen Two of the Pixel chip has better graphics cores, but I'm hoping it has better efficiency and battery life like the SD8+. No idea if that's the case or if the Pixel 7 chip is basically the same but a minor bump.

Embargo lifts tomorrow.

What we know is that the big cores remain the same (two X1) with a slightly higher (500mhz) clock speed. The Little cores (4xA55) are also the same at the same clock speed. The middle cores were went from 2xA76 to 2xA78. This is were the meat of any CPU efficiency gains is likely going to come from. The A78 is quite a bit more efficient than the A76 and faster as well. The mid cores are the workhorse cores for a SoC so that could mean a good deal.

Then there's the G710 GPU which is heaps better than the G78 on the old Tensor design. Besides the obvious gains in gaming, the GPU is used to accelerate other AI functions (likely specifically around the camera.)

Beyond that, there's a next generation TPU which we know even less about. This handles most of the ML tasks like text to speech.

Now these are just all the components of the SoC. We know nothing about how much, if any, change was done to the overall design of the SoC in how these components are taped out. We don't know which 5nm process they are using at Samsung and what tweaks it may have gone through. We don't know how workloads may have been shifted around as the capabilities of components changed to affect efficiency.

Beyond that, there's a different thermal design in the devices. We also don't know if things like the display controller is the same and may be more efficient. We don't know if they made optimizations to the variable refresh rate of the LTPO display. The modem is also a complete unknown at this time.

So, yeah. There's a lot we don't know. Samsung's 5nm and 4nm process hasn't been as good as TSMC, but SoC design factors into that as well. The Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 shares no components with Tensor at all so it's not foolproof to extrapolate the shortcomings of that SoC on Samsung's foundry to what Google may have here. Reminder that the 765g was built on Samsung's 7nm process and it had excellent battery life and thermals in the Pixel 5, 4a5g, and 5a.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Incessant Excess posted:

I believe it lifts at 1pm Eastern today.

Edit yep reviews are out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE5H5intsck

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 12, 2022

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Yep the reviews are trickling out now:

https://www.androidpolice.com/google-pixel-7-review/

https://www.androidpolice.com/google-pixel-7-pro-review/

https://www.engadget.com/google-pixel-7-and-pixel-7-pro-review-still-the-best-bargain-in-flagship-phones-170031940.html

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

i'll def check out these reviews, but i'm still on the fence about whether it'll be "worth" it to upgrade from the pixel 5

aside from a slightly cracked screen (which i don't really give a poo poo about at all) and a slightly faulty usb-c jack, there's nothing "wrong" with my phone. the biggest annoyance is probably OS smoothness/speed. i don't like that it's taking longer for the camera app to open when i double-press the power button. i don't like that it takes a while to process the photo. and i frequently listen to the odd song/video through the pitiful single speaker which could be a hell of a lot better (i'm not always going to grab my headphones or connect to a speaker every time someone sends me a song, which happens frequently. do we even know if the speaker setup has been improved from the 5 at all?

i think i'd be really impressed with a faster SoC, but i'm dreading having a HugePhone that isn't all black. also i don't really care about the camera software upgrades like magic eraser or unblurring old photos.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

god dammit

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

this is honestly really disappointing to see in the mkbhd review. this phone is brand new and is collecting dust in such an ugly way. my 2 year old pixel 5 still looks great on the back, has mostly retained its black color with slight fading that actually looks nice (subjective, of course). at the very least it's not collecting dust all over the surface of its exterior. blegh

and the obsidian ("black") phone is so glossy and shiny. why can't we just have an all black phone?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

CLAM DOWN posted:

god dammit

Ack gently caress me. The batteries are pretty big, so the modems must be shite again. I'm glad I skipped the 7; I got a new case, watched the reviews of the Pixel 6 again to pump myself up and am convincing myself I'm holding the 7.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

To be fair to Pixel, the iPhone Pro's and S22 Ultra camera arrays also collect a shitload of dust. It's just part and parcel of having a big rear end camera jutting away from the body of the phone.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Upgrading from a pixel 3 to the 7, am excited

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Soul Glo posted:

To be fair to Pixel, the iPhone Pro's and S22 Ultra camera arrays also collect a shitload of dust. It's just part and parcel of having a big rear end camera jutting away from the body of the phone.

i can concede this. the iphone camera stovetop setup is egregious.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Ack gently caress me. The batteries are pretty big, so the modems must be shite again. I'm glad I skipped the 7; I got a new case, watched the reviews of the Pixel 6 again to pump myself up and am convincing myself I'm holding the 7.

MKBHD is saying the battery life is improved. So I'm still trying to gather more info!

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Battery life is weird because what lasts a power using tech reviewer 6 hours of SOT will get me like 8-10 after I turn off poo poo like AOD and background refresh and turning the screen down from 100% brightness

My iPhone 13 PM is a legit two day phone for me if I’m home on wifi

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Is going from 60 to 90hz screens just not a huge jump or do my eyes suck? Just went from a Pixel 3 to 6 and... I mean everything is nice but I don't notice the higher refresh rate at all. (again not a deal breaker... just wondering if some folks aren't sensitive to it enough or if it's just a small bump)

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

When I went from a 60hz device to a 90hz, I couldn't tell. Now, when I go back and use an older device...I still can't tell. Maybe the 7 Pro's 120hz will be what does it for me.

Also, I don't give a single poo poo about a phone collecting dust/fingerprints. I'm just gonna skin it pink and toss it in a clear case like I've done with the last 3. Hell, my biggest annoying is that I have to buy a new case every ~6mo because they all eventually start to yellow and I gotta keep things fressssssssssh

edit: that said, if I weren't slapping a sticker on it, I'd much prefer a matte back, but that's just based on looks

XIII fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Oct 12, 2022

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Apparently the 7 Pro has worse battery life than the base 7 which is...baffling to me.

BonoMan posted:

Is going from 60 to 90hz screens just not a huge jump or do my eyes suck? Just went from a Pixel 3 to 6 and... I mean everything is nice but I don't notice the higher refresh rate at all. (again not a deal breaker... just wondering if some folks aren't sensitive to it enough or if it's just a small bump)

I definitely found it to be very overstated. I have a 6 Pro and my wife has a 6a and I don't notice a huge difference between the phones. It's....there I guess, but it's definitely not this generational leap some people make it out to be.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Kirios posted:

Apparently the 7 Pro has worse battery life than the base 7 which is...baffling to me.

Screens will always be the #1 power draw.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Kirios posted:

This has been the case for a while, it's always because of the bigger screen.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Kirios posted:

I definitely found it to be very overstated. I have a 6 Pro and my wife has a 6a and I don't notice a huge difference between the phones. It's....there I guess, but it's definitely not this generational leap some people make it out to be.

Yeah, it's easily visible to me when holding a 60hz and 90hz (or 120) side by side, especially when scrolling, but it just doesn't matter much. "Looks smoother when scrolling" is the main benefit lol. Wife keeps her pixel 6 set to 60hz cause she doesn't care about that.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Kirios posted:

As others said it largely depends on the screen size for screen on time tests. Especially if the tests are such that they don't let the phone throttle down to the 10hz refresh rate the pro has available by doing something like running a video continuously for the entire test then it doesn't let it use any software tricks to save on battery consumption.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So, it's not just the MKBHD said that battery was improved, he said it was pretty great.

He also said that he switched back to the P6P (away from the s22u) after recent updates and that the 7 pro was going into his pocket for a daily.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 12, 2022

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yeah overall I'm liking what I am hearing for the 7 lineup. The modem looks to be a clear improvement and the heating is mildly improved (still gets warm but not as hot as the 6/Pro). It's definitely not a major upgrade but it looks to be classic Gen 2 vs Gen 1 tech stuff.

As sad as it is the killer feature for me to upgrade from 6 Pro to 7 is actually face unlock.

Kirios fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 12, 2022

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Anecdotal reports of heating mean nothing to me because I've been able to heat pretty much every device doing one thing or another. Does performance suffer and does battery drain like crazy? That's an issue. Does it warm to the point where it stops charging? That's an issue. Otherwise, seems to me the device is successful at dumping waste heat to me.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=aTpLQWlQKns&feature=share

The watch seems, ok. It's a wearOS watch with a Fitbit app, nothing more nothing less.

And it continues to be too small which is the most damning issue.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 12, 2022

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Most if not all premium phones with fast SOC's get warm under load now. As long as the camera can run without dying while taking video, AND Google's QA improves so that fewer people have those negative experiences they reported on the 5 and 6 lines, then "warm" is fine.

Looking forward to some long term reviews in the next month or three.

Still annoyed they didn't offer a trade-in deal including the 6a. I would have upgraded this still relatively new phone for $200~, though I understand why they wouldn't.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I assume new devices are usually missing from trade in because it's a 3rd party that's a clearinghouse for those devices and they won't set trade in values without enough market data on value.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

bull3964 posted:

The watch seems, ok. It's a wearOS watch with a Fitbit app, nothing more nothing less.

And it continues to be too small which is the most damning issue.

Got my GWatch 5Pro this weekend and I'm liking it so far. Since I have a Pixel and not a Samsung anymore, it's missing a couple of Samsung specific features, but I haven't missed them so far.

Don't Ask
Nov 28, 2002

AlexDeGruven posted:

Got my GWatch 5Pro this weekend and I'm liking it so far. Since I have a Pixel and not a Samsung anymore, it's missing a couple of Samsung specific features, but I haven't missed them so far.

Do you mean the blood pressure and ECG? I've got it working on my Pixel 5 and Watch 4, see if this guide will work for you.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Mrwhosetheboss has an absolutely glowing review for the 7/Pro. It's probably the most positive one I've seen so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPZnKfTzv5s

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Don't Ask posted:

Do you mean the blood pressure and ECG? I've got it working on my Pixel 5 and Watch 4, see if this guide will work for you.

Off the top of my head, yeah. I'll check that out. Thanks!

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
Check your email if you took part in the Pixel Superfans quiz after the presentation, winner emails are going out. I won a Pixel Watch this time, which beats the socks from last year.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Pixel 7 still gets hot during normal use, battery life mid, modem not improved. Another big L from Google.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

WELL I JUST BOUGHT A PIXEL 7.

Last day of trade in goodies got me, and I'm sending them my mom's iPhone 11 that's lived in a drawer since I got her a 13 for a credit $430, and I'm going to sell my 6a on eBay for the difference. Essentially upgrading for the cost of recycling an old iPhone that had bad battery and wasn't worth eBaying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

salt shakeup posted:

Pixel 7 still gets hot during normal use, battery life mid, modem not improved. Another big L from Google.

how mad are you about it