Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Skwirl posted:

This is why I just flat out refuse to answer hypothetical questions.

but hypothetically, what if the person who asked was gonna die if they didn;t get youre answer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Captain Monkey posted:

I promise you that no real people are killed when someone considers the trolley problem.
That's what they want you to think.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
People who believe in their hearts that an abortion is a form of murder would agree we shouldn't sacrifice an unborn fetus for the benefit of others. Does this mean a woman suffering pregnancy complications who wanted to carry the fetus to term should get greater priority than a woman who wishes to have an abortion?

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I, personally, would save everyone, and bake them a cake, which makes me morally superior to that goon who'd just save everyone

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Hypothetically, if i were to shove a bunch of armchair philosophers into a school locker, would you they put up a fight or would they make it easy and just get in without much struggle.

The grifting begins

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Feliday Melody posted:

Don't kill. Try to save everyone you can. Never give up on trying.

I think the frustration I'm feeling with your answers is due to the fact that you have strong beliefs about the word 'kill' - not at all unjustifiably either - and so it doesn't feel like you're engaging with the actual question being asked, so try this:

You are a lowly volunteer tutor. You have 6 students and not enough time and resources to help them all pass: you can (a) spend the time to help the one student who's far behind and about to fail or (b) help the other 5 students who aren't as far behind but will still fail without your help. There isn't enough time or resources to find another option, and if you walk away or try to split the difference or help them all, they'll all fail.

This isn't the Kobayashi Maru scenario where you're expected to fail or hack the system or be clever or say "I don't believe in no-win situations :smug:" and avoid the dilemma, the interesting part is the dilemma itself and the moral calculus that goes into it.

The reason your answers irk me is because I see the same sort of evasions going on with people who say we shouldn't help Ukraine defend itself or people who won't vote for imperfect candidates or screeching about incrementalism.

It comes back to what I was saying about even the people who walk away from Omelas being fuckers. Washing your hands of a lovely situation when you could actively make things better is, imho, a lovely thing to do.

This may, not, in fact be what you are doing, but I run into the sort of moral cowardice I described a lot and it infuriates me.

Agents are GO! has a new favorite as of 19:19 on Oct 12, 2022

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I will let the train kill them all and take their bones :unsmigghh:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

I will let the train kill them all and take their bones :unsmigghh:

I see you're a Boneraiser Minions player too.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

goblin week posted:

I, personally, would save everyone, and bake them a cake, which makes me morally superior to that goon who'd just save everyone

What kind of cake?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Elephant Ambush posted:

What kind of cake?
Bear in mind you can only make one cake of one of two kinds: a flourless peanut butter cake and a black forest cake with typical flour. One person is deathly allergic to peanuts; five have celiac. All six will eat whatever cake you make.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

RFC2324 posted:

The refusal to pick one is in fact one of the 2 options
Right, I feel like I'm missing something here. Between "pull the lever or don't pull the lever", walking away and not participating is literally choosing "don't pull the lever". That's not a third, new option someone just invented just now. That's choosing not to switch tracks.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hihohe posted:

Hypothetically, if i were to shove a bunch of armchair philosophers into a school locker, would you they put up a fight or would they make it easy and just get in without much struggle.

The grifting begins

I can fix her

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Vib Rib posted:

Right, I feel like I'm missing something here. Between "pull the lever or don't pull the lever", walking away and not participating is literally choosing "don't pull the lever". That's not a third, new option someone just invented just now. That's choosing not to switch tracks.

Yeah I was reading this long argument over multiple pages wondering if I was missing something or if this person thought “I won’t participate 🧐” is different from “option 1: don’t pull the lever”?

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Agents are GO! posted:

I think the frustration I'm feeling with your answers is due to the fact that you have strong beliefs about the word 'kill' - not at all unjustifiably either - and so it doesn't feel like you're engaging with the actual question being asked, so try this:

You are a lowly volunteer tutor. You have 6 students and not enough time and resources to help them all pass: you can (a) spend the time to help the one student who's far behind and about to fail or (b) help the other 5 students who aren't as far behind but will still fail without your help. There isn't enough time or resources to find another option, and if you walk away or try to split the difference or help them all, they'll all fail.

This isn't the Kobayashi Maru scenario where you're expected to fail or hack the system or be clever or say "I don't believe in no-win situations :smug:" and avoid the dilemma, the interesting part is the dilemma itself and the moral calculus that goes into it.

This all assumes a level of prescience that I can't process. I guess I'd try to help everyone and hope for the best.

Either that or I can't provide a good answer. There's no possible scenario where one is left behind entirely. It's impossible.

Agents are GO! posted:

It comes back to what I was saying about even the people who walk away from Omelas being fuckers. Washing your hands of a lovely situation when you could actively make things better is, imho, a lovely thing to do.

This may, not, in fact be what you are doing, but I run into the sort of moral cowardice I described a lot and it infuriates me.

I think we're working with 2 different hypotheticals. One is "kill few to save many" which I reject outright

The other is "fail to provide aid to one to provide aid to many"

To which my answer will be to try and save as many as possible, at the best of my abilities, in the best order I can think of at the time.

You can write that down as a non-answer if you like. I cannot process an answer where one is outright abandoned before the rescue effort event starts. It doesn't work.

Feliday Melody has a new favorite as of 12:53 on Nov 9, 2022

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

If your answer is not "I pull the lever," then it's "I do not pull the lever." It's literally that simple, no matter how you phrase it. If you don't pull the lever, there's only one other option, no matter how you phrase it. Even if you just say you "don't engage", does your hand touch the lever? No? Then you don't pull the lever!

It's like you're failing to comprehend the idea of a lever. It's either on or off. It doesn't care why it's pulled or not pulled. Only one of those changes the behavior of the tracks.

https://twitter.com/Highway_30/status/1579513875078467585

here, content

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Midnight Voyager posted:

If your answer is not "I pull the lever," then it's "I do not pull the lever." It's literally that simple, no matter how you phrase it. If you don't pull the lever, there's only one other option, no matter how you phrase it. Even if you just say you "don't engage", does your hand touch the lever? No? Then you don't pull the lever!

It's like you're failing to comprehend the idea of a lever. It's either on or off. It doesn't care why it's pulled or not pulled. Only one of those changes the behavior of the tracks.

https://twitter.com/Highway_30/status/1579513875078467585

here, content

What does the lever do again? Levers was a while ago.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaWu0YPmDJo

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Midnight Voyager posted:

In real logic, there is the "excluded middle" fallacy, in which you point out that somebody who says "It's either A or B" is generally avoiding multiple entities that are neither. Like, I can shove the bicycle that you didn't mention, it's right offscreen, in front of the switch, forcing the train to stop.

A quite reasonable answer to the trolley problem is "Nah, not playing that game. Let's argue about something else."

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

i would go super saiyan and stop the trolley, saving everyone

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
The level kills this thread.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

I would choose to run over Nate the snake rather than hit the lever.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

In real logic, there is the "excluded middle" fallacy, in which you point out that somebody who says "It's either A or B" is generally avoiding multiple entities that are neither. Like, I can shove the bicycle that you didn't mention, it's right offscreen, in front of the switch, forcing the train to stop.

A quite reasonable answer to the trolley problem is "Nah, not playing that game. Let's argue about something else."

If anyone ever asks me about the trolley problem, I’ll make like an Xbox and turn 360 degrees and walk away.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I would ban trolleys, and dedicate billions of dollars towards replacing them with tiny, far safer tunnels that just about barely fit a car, so that drivers could simply zoom through at high speeds in the electric cars I will sell them

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Burn Omelas to the ground, and throw this derail on the fire.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
https://twitter.com/tragicbirdapp/status/1579941138467033088

https://twitter.com/GiaPratamaMD/status/1579729509846519808
and a non-idiot response:
https://twitter.com/asanilta/status/1580071158174560257

OwlFancier posted:

Yes and if you argue that bodily autonomy is an inherent, inviolable thing then you end up with silly ideas like "you aren't allowed to break up a fight because you would be interfering in people's bodily autonomy"

Ah, the tenderqueer response. :smug:

I wanna see her drop some truth bombs, if you know what I'm saying. :wiggle:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://onlysky.media/ahall/christian-influencer-gets-holy-water-breast-implants/

An influencer counts as social media, right? It's not a tweet, but it's all I got. Bless these tiddies.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The funny thing about the trolly problem is people will argue whatever they prefer will cause less damage anyway so in the end it doesn’t matter. It’s literally pointless

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
This isn't QUITE social media, I don't think, but in the interest of content:
https://twitter.com/DailyLoud/status/1580063462289543168

I genuinely have tears in my eyes from laughing, good lord.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Midnight Voyager posted:

https://onlysky.media/ahall/christian-influencer-gets-holy-water-breast-implants/

An influencer counts as social media, right? It's not a tweet, but it's all I got. Bless these tiddies.

I appreciate you trying in vain to rerail the thread from the moral philosophy fart huffing, but... I suspect you missed the word "satire" directly above the headline.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Who let Data Graham on twitter?

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Burn Omelas to the ground, and throw this derail on the fire.

:hmmyes:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SiKboy posted:

I appreciate you trying in vain to rerail the thread from the moral philosophy fart huffing, but... I suspect you missed the word "satire" directly above the headline.

Ah heck, truth. I'm unfortunately low on social media idiots at the moment that I didn't get from this thread in the first place.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

This guy is either a slightly clever troll or dumber than a sack of poo poo.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Kim dotcom has been doing endless iosms recently.

Apparently he's deep in Putins pocket. Just recently, he called for Ukranians to demonstrate on the streets of Kiev for a regime change and against arms shipments to Ukraine in the name of peace.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

BioEnchanted posted:

Al;so bear in mind that in The Good Place, the multiple versions of the experiment were purely Michael deliberately loving with Chidi because he just couldn't resist the urge to do so. He was still new at not being a villain at the time so hadn't got the torturing out of his system.

Yeah I get that, it's made pretty clear. I just wish the show had spent like 10 seconds setting up that the point was the two choices and what it says about you rather than asking the gimme question of whether you would choose to save one person or save five people, then launching straight into weird hypotheticals as though that's the interesting part. But I guess that would have made it less funny

Agents are GO! posted:

Who let Data Graham on twitter?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

This guy is either a slightly clever troll or dumber than a sack of poo poo.

He's running for Congress against Ilhan Omar as the "America First" candidate. So make of that what you will!

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Midnight Voyager posted:

:hmmorks: stealing this for my next cleric in D&D.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

but hypothetically, what if the person who asked was gonna die if they didn;t get youre answer
https://i.imgur.com/FOwZ77O.mp4

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Hundreds of years from now, when archaeologists find my bones, they will go "wow cool bones."

e: I hope I die by drowning in a peat bog and when archaeologists find my body and examine my stomach contents it's nothing but doritos and mountain dew. Then I'd be put in a museum as the most well preserved gamer specimen.

Dr. Stab has a new favorite as of 20:44 on Oct 12, 2022

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Dr. Stab posted:

Hundreds of years from now, when archaeologists find my bones, they will go "wow cool bones."

How are you going to make your bones stand out? Like, they find a skeleton with a golden eye and that's gonna make the papers no problem, but what's your plan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Volcott posted:

How are you going to make your bones stand out? Like, they find a skeleton with a golden eye and that's gonna make the papers no problem, but what's your plan?

It doesn't have to make the news. Archaeologists just love finding bones. But also I edited my post on how to do my best to impress archaeologists in the future.