Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
lumping OGRE Sound and Imagine Dragons is causing me psychic damage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

regulargonzalez posted:

Is there a term to describe a genre of music where it feels like the sole purpose is to sell the rights for the songs to be put in a movie? Stuff like Imagine Dragons, Fitz and the Tantrums, OGRE Sound, where every song sounds like it's meant to underlie an action scene or Apple commercial.

I know soulless fits, or corporate rock, but I wonder if there's a more specific term. "Factory music" or something.

Placeholder music is what I call it. I swear there was an article about the MCU where orchestras or people were commissioned to make very generic music for movie scenes, because they weren't allowed to know the context [oh no spoilers].

You could call it commissioned music. For example, if a band makes a song for a specific movie that does not exactly fit with the rest of their discography, for the sole purpose of fitting a scene and selling singles.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

regulargonzalez posted:

Is there a term to describe a genre of music where it feels like the sole purpose is to sell the rights for the songs to be put in a movie? Stuff like Imagine Dragons, Fitz and the Tantrums, OGRE Sound, where every song sounds like it's meant to underlie an action scene or Apple commercial.

I know soulless fits, or corporate rock, but I wonder if there's a more specific term. "Factory music" or something.

It's not what you're looking for, but you might be interested to know of "production music" or "library music" which is music specifically produced to be licensed for usage in other media rather than being a work on its own

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Production_music

Usually production music is not released as an album, but is placed in a library with a large publisher and then people can come in and buy licensing rights to whatever songs they want. A lot of times the music will have a bunch of descriptive tags indicating not just genre but mood and style e.g. "bossa nova, uptempo, cheerful, guitar, female vocals". Also the music will often be produced with different variations and lengths, so the same piece of music might have an 8 second version for a quick bump, a 30 second version for a longer interstitial, and a full version of the piece, with variations in what instruments are included, such as a version without percussion.

Sometimes you can find interesting music in these libraries, but owing to their commercial nature, they are often developed to be inoffensive.

Here's a piece of library music you may be familiar with if you watched Adult Swim back in the early 2000's (which is a remix of Tito Puente's Mambo Gallego)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obY5Vec0yGs

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Goon Boots posted:

Here's a piece of library music you may be familiar with if you watched Adult Swim back in the early 2000's (which is a remix of Tito Puente's Mambo Gallego)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obY5Vec0yGs

Wow that takes me back

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

You've also heard a bunch of that if you've ever watched a YouTuber, YouTube has a big library of stock music to use. There's also a few music publishers, mostly in EDM and adjacent genres, with libraries that content creators can license for use on livestreams.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

If I'm flirting with someone, or happen to land a date with someone who's smarter than me, how do I be a good conversationalist with someone way smarter than me without derailing them with dumb poo poo? I usually feel like I'm socially able, but I had a meeting with someone far more intelligent than me. While I found them attractive (their intelligence included), I didn't know how to engage with them without feeling like I was detracting from their thoughts.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Most people are usually pretty happy to explain things they're passionate about to people who may not grok it. If someone is going to look down on you because they're smarter than you in a particular area you probably don't want to be dating them anyway.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

My son was all about The Night Begins to Shine from Teen Titans for a couple of weeks. Like all day every day. Too much. It was interesting to find out they just pulled something from a music library and then memeified the musicians into some form of celebrity.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Blue Labrador posted:

If I'm flirting with someone, or happen to land a date with someone who's smarter than me, how do I be a good conversationalist with someone way smarter than me without derailing them with dumb poo poo? I usually feel like I'm socially able, but I had a meeting with someone far more intelligent than me. While I found them attractive (their intelligence included), I didn't know how to engage with them without feeling like I was detracting from their thoughts.

What makes you think they don't also want to talk about dumb poo poo? Try to find something you have in common to talk about, same as anyone else.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Blue Labrador posted:

Ask them what their Myers-Briggs type is and why they feel that their type is the best one.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Can’t recommend “pretending to be smarter than I am” as a long term plan.. I did that and now I’m barely in control of my party and am losing a war to Ukraine.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Blue Labrador posted:

Show genuine interest in what they have to say. Shouldn't be hard if you find their intelligence attractive. Being a good listener is a useful skill for dating and relationships.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm terrible at flirting so take this with a grain of salt. But if you managed to type that sentence, you're not too dumb to talk and flirt. It's just practice.

Last time I was in a similar situation, the girl was quite a bit younger but doing a Ph.D. in chemistry. That and biology are probably the only topics I can't bullshit my way through semi-intelligently. But it's fine as long as you listen, ask some follow-up questions and can eventually shift conversation to something you're also familiar with.

Extra row of tits posted:

Can’t recommend “pretending to be smarter than I am” as a long term plan.. I did that and now I’m barely in control of my party and am losing a war to Ukraine.
Sorry (not sorry) about your bridge dude.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

And also having a PhD or similar really impressive education doesn't make a person somehow exceptionally intelligent. They are super knowledgeable about their own field and they clearly display an impressive ability to work and study. But every PhD or expert I know are just regular silly dumb people when you consider them as a whole. (Edit: In a good way I mean)

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Yeah, one thing to keep in mind is that "smart people" (however you even quantify that), don't know everything. People with a PhD tend to know a lot of about one very specific thing. They certainly don't know everything.

This wasn't a dating situation but I do have a an anecdote to share about this! A few years back my husband and I went out to LA to visit a friend who is a literal rocket scientist. As in, works for a company that launches rockets, and everything. Super smart guy. My husband is a super-genius engineer type to plays a ton of Kerbal Space Program.

What this amounted to is we went to the Long Beach aquarium and the two of them were chattering away happily about space flight stuff while I kinda trailed behind and listened while trying not to feel stupid. Then we walked by the sea lion enclosure and the magic happened.

Friend: You know, I've always wondered the difference between sea lions and seals.

Me, with a marine biology degree, thinking THIS IS MY MOMENT: Oh! I can tell you that!

So just keep that in mind. Rocket scientists may be very smart people but that doesn't mean they can tell the difference between a sea lion and a seal!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Yeah, you're most likely just nervous because your like this person. Chill out, find something to talk about or do together. In all likelihood, they're just trying to impress you by showing off.
Also, if they're truly brilliant, get them to help you hang a picture or assemble a cabinet. I bet they can't.

Worse come to worse, offer to carry their printer while pretending to be a cat to hide your boner.

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020
I'm looking to get a sherpa blanket during the Prime Day sale, but didn't realize there were 5 gazillion different variations. Polyester, cotton, fleece- etc etc etc. Is there a page where I can find a summary of the different types and which ones would be best suited for my needs?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Silver Falcon posted:

Yeah, one thing to keep in mind is that "smart people" (however you even quantify that), don't know everything. People with a PhD tend to know a lot of about one very specific thing. They certainly don't know everything.

This wasn't a dating situation but I do have a an anecdote to share about this! A few years back my husband and I went out to LA to visit a friend who is a literal rocket scientist. As in, works for a company that launches rockets, and everything. Super smart guy. My husband is a super-genius engineer type to plays a ton of Kerbal Space Program.

What this amounted to is we went to the Long Beach aquarium and the two of them were chattering away happily about space flight stuff while I kinda trailed behind and listened while trying not to feel stupid. Then we walked by the sea lion enclosure and the magic happened.

Friend: You know, I've always wondered the difference between sea lions and seals.

Me, with a marine biology degree, thinking THIS IS MY MOMENT: Oh! I can tell you that!

So just keep that in mind. Rocket scientists may be very smart people but that doesn't mean they can tell the difference between a sea lion and a seal!

Heh, imagine, not knowing a sea lion from a seal... how embarrassing yes *tugs collar*

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

alnilam posted:

Heh, imagine, not knowing a sea lion from a seal... how embarrassing yes *tugs collar*

Well, that was just an example. I can explain the difference if you're curious. Didn't think it was that important to my story.

Sea lion:

Visible ears
Large front flippers. They swim with their front flippers and steer with their rear
"Upright" posture when on land. They walk like a dog, more or less. They're wet dogs.

Seal:

No visible ears
Small front flippers. They swim with their rear flippers and steer with their front.
On land they look like fat sausages/cigars. They lie flat and undulate themselves to get around.

So there you go. Now you know!

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

On land they look like fat sausages/cigars. They lie flat and undulate themselves to get around.

The perfect being.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Silver Falcon posted:

don't doxx me

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Silver Falcon posted:

#lifegoals

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

In other languages, do schools use the name of their native language as a synonym for language arts/composition classes?

As in, would French speakers learn how to write well in a class called French? Or is that something specific to the Anglosphere?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

In other languages, do schools use the name of their native language as a synonym for language arts/composition classes?

As in, would French speakers learn how to write well in a class called French? Or is that something specific to the Anglosphere?

Danish schools have Danish classes for reading, writing, language and literature, yeah.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

in Finland it's äidinkieli, "mother language"

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
I just want to thank every single person who ever posted in this thread, I read all 2162 pages of posts in here on smoke breaks and bus rides over the last three months, and have learned so many small and stupid things

Keep it coming, please

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

BonHair posted:

Danish schools have Danish classes for reading, writing, language and literature, yeah.

Cool thanks!

Ras Het posted:

in Finland it's äidinkieli, "mother language"

Thank you too!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Is "smoothbrain" ableist?

Because it seems to me that quite a few goons are using it simply to avoid getting dinged for using the R-word.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Mister Facetious posted:

Because it seems to me that quite a few goons are using it simply to avoid getting dinged for using the R-word.

Username / post incompatibility here

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Mister Facetious posted:

only as far as calling someone stupid/unintelligent in general is... which i mean technically is ableist if you wanted to get really uptight about it

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I feel like it's the least ableist option? Are there any conditions that literally cause someone to have a smoother brain? Using an insult that genuinely doesn't apply to any actual human seems like the most okay way to insult someone to me, if you have to insult someone.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Organza Quiz posted:

I feel like it's the least ableist option? Are there any conditions that literally cause someone to have a smoother brain? Using an insult that genuinely doesn't apply to any actual human seems like the most okay way to insult someone to me, if you have to insult someone.

There are no-folds conditions and it’s not completely incompatible with living, but it’s a short life of never progressing past an infant

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Mister Facetious posted:

The origin of the term is the notion that the more folds and wrinkles your brain has, the smarter you are. Therefore if you're very stupid you must have a smooth brain, that's not very wrinkly.

It's just a clever way to call someone a dummy. I mean, unless you want to argue that calling someone stupid is itself ableist against people who aren't very smart, but that's a whole other matter.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Organza Quiz posted:

Lissencephaly and as posted above it doesn't really go well for people.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Well, I mean, that's smoother. "Smooth" implies "wrinkle free"

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Hyperlynx posted:

Well, I mean, that's smoother. "Smooth" implies "wrinkle free"

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

So what you are saying is that I can call people Koalabrains if I want to insult them?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Helios Grime posted:

So what you are saying is that I can call people Koalabrains if I want to insult them?

Honestly, kind of works anyway. All they do is sleep, eat poisonous leaves, scream like demons, and contract chlamydia.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Hyperlynx posted:

Honestly, kind of works anyway. All they do is sleep, eat poisonous leaves, scream like demons, and contract chlamydia.

But their breath is super fresh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Silver Falcon posted:

Well, that was just an example. I can explain the difference if you're curious. Didn't think it was that important to my story.

Sea lion:

Visible ears
Large front flippers. They swim with their front flippers and steer with their rear
"Upright" posture when on land. They walk like a dog, more or less. They're wet dogs.

Seal:

No visible ears
Small front flippers. They swim with their rear flippers and steer with their front.

So there you go. Now you know!

pffft, far too simple. The is absolutely best expressed in a half-hour video dedicated to over-explaining the subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUaNHA-WQWg