Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

LividLiquid posted:

Just don't think about what your're being told and you'll like it more!

not what i said but go off champ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Bleck posted:

They are not very smart.

Actually you have to have a

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

XboxPants posted:

Why was Beth less happy in the paradise world? Why didn't she simply continue working with horses, but without pay?

This also happened to Beth in the Federation takeover. It's in character, for that matter, with the early seasons when she had a massive chip on her shoulder about being a 'real' surgeon vs a horse surgeon and the episode where she nearly killed while trying to save a deer. We know Beth is caught between deciding to come into her own as Rick's daughter, follow in his footsteps, define a new life for herself, or deny who she is. She believes she has great potential, but uses a whole host of excuses (especially the children) as an excuse for failing to achieve it.

She is miserable like Summer & Morty because the Smith family is neither as comfortable creating their own goals as Rick, nor as comfortable having no goals as Jerry.

They are—fundamentally—unprepared for the existentialist abyss of genuine freedom from needs. They, like the other characters who work to get rid of the Dinos, would rather live in a hosed up world they think they understand than learn to live in a new world.

Rick and Jerry have their own problems. Rick can't stand to feel like anyone is better than him and will go to extreme lengths to prove his abusive petty worldview is correct, while Jerry ultimately wants the credit. Rick has literally engineered a multiverse where he is the smartest being ("a cosmic cradle"). Jerry has shown that while he does not have the gumption to seek ambitious things, that he wants them if they happen to pass by ("Hungry for Apples?", being an alternate reality movie star, developing an app).

doingitwrong fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 11, 2022

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

XboxPants posted:

Why was Beth less happy in the paradise world? Why didn't she simply continue working with horses, but without pay? Why would that route not offer value to her existence? (it's because value is determined by how much money you generate) The only person we see continue to pursue their craft out of passion is the BBQ shack guy and he's revealed to be an unnatural creation. As if it's impossible for a real human to do this.

You can say that the episode was doing this all intentionally, like ironically. To point out how stupid its own premise is, or whatever you're saying. But there's not really any evidence of that. On the face of it, this is an episode where communists came in, eliminated capitalism and fixed all the social problems, and people were less happy with that than they were with the old way. It's only anticapitalist if you start by assuming the writers are anticapitalist.

It's just as valid to look at this episode and say its message is, "even if someone stepped in and addressed all that woke bullshit you virtue signalers whine about, it wouldn't make anyone happier because humans will always find something to complain about. none of those problems really matter" and that's just as compliant with the episode we were given.

I mean, it's also fair to say that the episode just has no coherent political message, but that indicates to me a writer team with no coherent political beliefs. In this climate, in the US, having "no political beliefs" is a dogwhistle for being a reactionary.

Goddamn it's a standard trash science fiction plot, aliens come down and make things perfect but in the context of writing a show you can't have the aliens stay and have everything be perfect forever so there has to be some major flaw so that the show can continue. Usually this is because the aliens are evil or some other thing is wrong, but Rick and Morty wants to swerve that premise (explicitly underlined in Rick's speech) and still have a show, so it's human self-destruction and ennui that does the paradise in.

This is not presented favourably, humans being bored with paradise and incredibly self-destructive is not only the explicitly the joke of the episode (listen to the closing song where it lists off the many many actual environmental disasters we have or are currently inflicting on ourselves) but also many other episodes of Rick and Morty.

Not only that but being bored with heaven is a common narrative device and theme throughout modern culture, so much so that it has a tv tropes page: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HellOfAHeaven

It's also a documented psychological phenomenon: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedonic_treadmill

There's an Isaac Bashevis Singer story called "Fool's Paradise" about the concept: https://twistsandstories.blogspot.com/2014/07/fools-paradise-by-isaac-bashevis-singer.html

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

he he

"gently caress off and dienosaurs"

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

XboxPants posted:

Why was Beth less happy in the paradise world? Why didn't she simply continue working with horses, but without pay? Why would that route not offer value to her existence? (it's because value is determined by how much money you generate) The only person we see continue to pursue their craft out of passion is the BBQ shack guy and he's revealed to be an unnatural creation. As if it's impossible for a real human to do this.

This isn't even the first time we've seen her get pissed/depressed when her job gets obsoleted. In 301 she complains about Galactic Government horse pills or whatever that make horses live forever.

My read is that just because the episode shows something happening doesn't by default mean that it agrees with that thing. Humanity is shown living in a utopia but still being unhappy because they don't have anything to do so they intentionally gently caress it all up again. That was a terrible idea and they definitely should not have done that, and I don't see anything in the episode that argues the other side.

e:
Just scroll up and read fez's post again it's better.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 11, 2022

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Takes No Damage posted:

This isn't even the first time we've seen her get pissed/depressed when her job gets obsoleted. In 301 she complains about Galactic Government horse pills or whatever that make horses live forever.

doingitwrong posted:

This also happened to Beth in the Federation takeover. It's in character, for that matter, with the early seasons when she had a massive chip on her shoulder about being a 'real' surgeon vs a horse surgeon and the episode where she nearly killed while trying to save a deer. We know Beth is caught between deciding to come into her own as Rick's daughter, follow in his footsteps, define a new life for herself, or deny who she is. She believes she has great potential, but uses a whole host of excuses (especially the children) as an excuse for failing to achieve it.

She is miserable like Summer & Morty because the Smith family is neither as comfortable creating their own goals as Rick, nor as comfortable having no goals as Jerry.

This is a good point, I honestly wasn't expecting them to take their show seriously enough for consistent character work so this was sort of a blind spot for me.

Lots of good points all around with you and other posters. I'll take a few steps back and at least admit I was being too strident. I can see these reads, too.

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
somethingawful edit of this episode

every time the dinosaurs are on red text appears that says 'these dinosaurs represent bad liberals that you hate, not good handsome leftists forum posters with cohesive ideologies like you'

okay i like it now

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I don't think it's communism when magic space dinosaurs give you everything and capitalism when they go away.

That seems like a pretty bad read on a very common trope in sci-fi

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

fez_machine posted:

Goddamn it's a standard trash science fiction plot, aliens come down and make things perfect but in the context of writing a show you can't have the aliens stay and have everything be perfect forever so there has to be some major flaw so that the show can continue. Usually this is because the aliens are evil or some other thing is wrong, but Rick and Morty wants to swerve that premise (explicitly underlined in Rick's speech) and still have a show, so it's human self-destruction and ennui that does the paradise in.

This is not presented favourably, humans being bored with paradise and incredibly self-destructive is not only the explicitly the joke of the episode (listen to the closing song where it lists off the many many actual environmental disasters we have or are currently inflicting on ourselves) but also many other episodes of Rick and Morty.

Not only that but being bored with heaven is a common narrative device and theme throughout modern culture, so much so that it has a tv tropes page: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HellOfAHeaven

It's also a documented psychological phenomenon: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedonic_treadmill

There's an Isaac Bashevis Singer story called "Fool's Paradise" about the concept: https://twistsandstories.blogspot.com/2014/07/fools-paradise-by-isaac-bashevis-singer.html

Also "Aliens offer Paradise to humans who gently caress it up because they distrust them, but sike! the aliens were genuinely benevolent and kind" isn't new either

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ukozdxgg8Q

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
At least the Simpsons gag is to make the aliens appear evil, then Shamalien-twist it at the end. This episode didn't even go that far, the dinos were just legit down to clown and solve the planet's problems from the get go.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Because that wasn't the story they were trying to tell.

None of the character beats they were going for hit quite hard enough. Jerry's book could have had more time to breathe, Beth's inability to cope with being judged should have been used to highlight the same flaw in Rick more.

We had to have an Oscar joke, so, nope.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Takes No Damage posted:

At least the Simpsons gag is to make the aliens appear evil, then Shamalien-twist it at the end. This episode didn't even go that far, the dinos were just legit down to clown and solve the planet's problems from the get go.

They went down that road a little when Rick did the whole "Let's go visit Brockway, Ogdenville, and North Haverbrook the other dino planets and find out what the real story is!" because he was sure the dinos were hiding some dark secret

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I thought the "these are all real dinosaurs" part was funny, I thought the show was making a bunch of random names and upon googling, nope, they are in fact actual dinosaurs lol.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

hahaha finding out there's a dinosaur really named "Erectopus" was a moment of joy in this grey life, thanks Rick and Morty

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

dodgeblan posted:

somethingawful edit of this episode

every time the dinosaurs are on red text appears that says 'these dinosaurs represent bad liberals that you hate, not good handsome leftists forum posters with cohesive ideologies like you'

okay i like it now

It is the job of the artist to understand their audience and make a work that expresses a message to them. If they cannot do this without putting big red text on the screen then they have failed as authors, not the audience.

The bad liberals read is the obvious one but I rejected it. The dinos are pacifist, but they are not ineffective. Everything they do works. If they are the liberals, then the episode is pretty pro-liberal. No, they are ridiculous strawmen. The thing that's shown to be bad about them isn't any of their policy, but just that they're so condescending and mean and rude hmmmm it's all the exact things reactionaries accuse both liberals and leftists of, what a funny coincidence.

ugh i'm tired of talking about this, if you don't see it you're not gonna see it

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

XboxPants posted:

It is the job of the artist to understand their audience and make a work that expresses a message to them. If they cannot do this without putting big red text on the screen then they have failed as authors, not the audience.

The bad liberals read is the obvious one but I rejected it. The dinos are pacifist, but they are not ineffective. Everything they do works. If they are the liberals, then the episode is pretty pro-liberal. No, they are ridiculous strawmen. The thing that's shown to be bad about them isn't any of their policy, but just that they're so condescending and mean and rude hmmmm it's all the exact things reactionaries accuse both liberals and leftists of, what a funny coincidence.

ugh i'm tired of talking about this, if you don't see it you're not gonna see it

Yeah, the book joke cinched this read for me.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

XboxPants posted:

Yeah I have also considered this, that anyone that's gonna scream absurd nonsense is gonna be hosed in the head.

But there is also comedy that's not just based on edgy shock humor... Arrested Development,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lpK9ZCeDIc&t=71s

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

ikanreed posted:

Because that wasn't the story they were trying to tell.

None of the character beats they were going for hit quite hard enough. Jerry's book could have had more time to breathe, Beth's inability to cope with being judged should have been used to highlight the same flaw in Rick more.

We had to have an Oscar joke, so, nope.

Yeah, that was my issue with it. Why couldn't we have had Morty going nuts for the daily superhero movie or Jerry just chilling and loving it while Beth and Summer go nuts trying to convince Rick to chase them off. I think the best read was that they didn't really think about things too much because it's just kind of a loosely strung together filler episode so don't worry too much about it.

And I'm going to nerd out harder since I realized that they technically blew an opportunity to explore Rick dealing with someone who was smarter than him in the sense that they were actually better at tech. They could have made that an actual thing with the breakdown of the Central Finite Curve and the rift. Added in a line that they missed their X million year check-in because someone put a barrier up while they were out of dimension. And then it'd be funny that Rick's first competent equal just didn't really give a poo poo about him.

But yeah...Oscars joke and a lot of loving around. Kind of funny loving around, but still.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
"They didn't even do it right, my fly is down!"

"It was already down!"

and it actually was

also

"I'm dropping in! Aaah oof ow"

"Rick that's the hardest part of skateboarding!"

"But it looked so easy on Pro Skater 3!"

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
That episode went down fast. Like, no B plot at all.

Reminded me of an Arthur C. Clarke book, "Childhood's End", where aliens peacefully invade Earth, put a stop to wars, most crime, animal cruelty, improve society and end scarcity. The twist is double: when they reveal themselves, they look exactly like every culture's idea of demons, but at that point anyone who had a distrust of them was long dead, so society just keeps going along. The second twist is that they arrived to make sure Humanity's next evolutionary step into a uni-mind went without a hitch, but that takes away all young kids that meld into the uni-mind, and every adult on Earth is now the last generation of Mankind, since any babies that would be born would instantly become part of the uni-mind. Society then devolves into chaos, where increasingly older people go to extremes to feel like their last days actually mean something.

And what do they mean by working on Ant-Man's character? Paul Rudd's a treasure! Computer, Nude Tayne Paul! :v:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Kal-L posted:

And what do they mean by working on Ant-Man's character? Paul Rudd's a treasure! Computer, Nude Tayne Paul! :v:

Ant-Man is the character and Paul Rudd is the actor playing the character

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

considering how much i viscerally loathed "childhood's end", more than i think any other sci-fi novel i've ever read, i suppose it shouldn't be surprised i disliked this episode

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

QuoProQuid posted:

considering how much i viscerally loathed "childhood's end", more than i think any other sci-fi novel i've ever read, i suppose it shouldn't be surprised i disliked this episode

Did you see the miniseries?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJZuLYHWlSY

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Takes No Damage posted:

Yeah I've been scratching my head the last few days trying to figure out how people are interpreting this episode as being in favor of un-solving the world's problems. Seems like a pretty clear :thejoke: about how that's a dumb idea and no one should ever do that, but in a less scifi way that's what we're already doing. We already produce enough food to feed every human on Earth but we actively choose not to because :capitalism:

Then I remembered I'm in TVIV and it all made sense :)

https://twitter.com/tickmancer/status/1163513038093410307
https://twitter.com/tickmancer/status/1327325039855869960

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Honestly can’t tell if that tweet is genuine

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

hatty posted:

I’m so sorry

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

hatty posted:

Honestly can't tell if this post is genuine.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
wait, i've got an idea

hatty posted:

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
and the system works.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Quotey posted:

wait, i've got an idea

Oh no they are crying :(

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

doingitwrong posted:

"Horses live longer than tortoises now!" :smith:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

In case people think this gag is completely unrealistic, don't forget that people have been trying to make 'irony punctuation' a thing for well over a century now: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony_punctuation

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

In case people think this gag is completely unrealistic, don't forget that people have been trying to make 'irony punctuation' a thing for well over a century now: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony_punctuation

Worse is that there's places where people actually expect it, like Twitter and Reddit.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

XboxPants posted:

they're so condescending and mean and rude hmmmm it's all the exact things reactionaries accuse both liberals and leftists of, what a funny coincidence

Reactionaries accuse leftists of being mean and rude as though it invalidates their politics (which it does not). Portraying humanity as explicitly rejecting the dinosaurs' paradise because they were occasionally (and rightfully) condescending to the humans about it is a fairly obvious takedown of those same reactionaries.

Also, for reference, "they need to be nicer about it" has never been a reasonable or valuable criticism of leftist praxis and never will be.

Edit: Just to nail this point home - if the humans are the stand-ins for the reactionaries in this scenario, it should be noted that episode ends with a montage of all of the terrible things brought on by this attitude. It literally lists a series of horrible things that are actual global catastrophes that we are really in the midst of. They all but look directly into the screen and say "It Is Bad When People Do This."

Bleck fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Oct 13, 2022

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

ikanreed posted:

Worse is that there's places where people actually expect it, like Twitter and Reddit.

Resetera will sometimes ban you for not using it. Lol.

I literally lose all respect for anybody that uses it.

Edit: also this episode was weak. finally a weak episode this season I guess.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Oct 13, 2022

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
^^^
It is probably the weakest episode so far, so the fact that it's still at worst OK is a good sign IMO.

Unkempt posted:

Oh no they are crying :(

ikanreed posted:

I think it's a great idea. Just like tagging your gore and pomegranates it's just common courtesy to align social interaction to its least capable participants. /s

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

XboxPants posted:

Didn't you say that about the ouya?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
A rating of 3 is too high for this thread.