Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

They just start shooting until someone gets the advantage and can rag doll the other guy around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't know how much English the Japanese wrestlers like Tajiri knew back in WWF, but I'm pretty sure Juvi and other Mexican wrestlers in WCW knew basically no English. So how do you call a match?

Tajiri is fluent in English and used to pretend he wasn't to gently caress with people backstage. Tajiri rules.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

He’s a wise man, it shouldn’t be a surprise that he’s multilingual

https://youtu.be/KuON5qUkxz0

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't know how much English the Japanese wrestlers like Tajiri knew back in WWF, but I'm pretty sure Juvi and other Mexican wrestlers in WCW knew basically no English. So how do you call a match?

Wrestling language is basically universal. You're not going to be able to meticulously plan every spot before hand but you can call it in the ring.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

CombineThresher posted:

Tajiri is fluent in English and used to pretend he wasn't to gently caress with people backstage. Tajiri rules.

He also speaks some Spanish, I think. I believe Mikey said that's how he'd lay out matches that included Super Crazy

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

JOHN CENA posted:

the injury was unfortunate but the match result and orton cash in was always the plan as a way to get the belt to orton without orton beating cena. danielson getting over was never the intention.

Realizing the establishment of The Authority was never meant to get Danielson over was the exact moment I realized WWE was beyond redemption.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

was there a heel who regularly made faces look bad and was not booked to get them over before the nWo? for example, kick a guy in the nuts and call them a pathetic dumbass loser, etc., high five eachother and then walk away and that was the whole thing

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cavauro posted:

was there a heel who regularly made faces look bad and was not booked to get them over before the nWo? for example, kick a guy in the nuts and call them a pathetic dumbass loser, etc., high five eachother and then walk away and that was the whole thing

Arguably the Horsemen at some points.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

El Gallinero Gros posted:

He also speaks some Spanish, I think. I believe Mikey said that's how he'd lay out matches that included Super Crazy

Yeah he's fluent in Spanish from his time in Mexico.

Cavauro posted:

No, but that was more or less how Dusty booked himself in WCW as a babyface.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Am I crazy or did the World title have WCW lineage until the moment Benoit won it from Triple H?

Sometimes it did, sometimes it didn't.

Like they put out a whole DVD called the "The History of the World Heavyweight Championship" and included on it was NWA and WCW titles matches. So at the time they intended it to be a continuation. And it came out post-Benoit.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Okay, thank you. I remember it having the WCW lineage up until a certain point in the 00s and I thought that was when Benoit won it. Maybe Orton?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

Wrestling language is basically universal. You're not going to be able to meticulously plan every spot before hand but you can call it in the ring.

There's a reason why they call the sequence The International.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5Wsne4dOI4

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Oct 10, 2022

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Kennel posted:

What are the most high profile matches that had to be cancelled due to an injury?

I believe in WCW there were plans to do Goldberg vs. Warrior, but Warrior was pretty messed up physically from his Hogan feud.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gavok posted:

I believe in WCW there were plans to do Goldberg vs. Warrior, but Warrior was pretty messed up physically from his Hogan feud.

According to Warrior he was told there were unspecified plans for him going forward, he did the post Havoc promo, went home and they never contacted him again.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Man, I cannot even begin to imagine what a Warrior-Goldberg match would look like.

I know what it would sound like: the crowd going mental through a two-minute staredown, followed by a mass quietening after each man injures themselves within five minutes and Scott Hall shows up with a stun gun for the finish and the NWO music plays.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

During the first WWF Hogan run did anyone get a one up over Hogan or was Warrior the only one who didn't have to run it back*

*until years later.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Defenestrategy posted:

During the first WWF Hogan run did anyone get a one up over Hogan or was Warrior the only one who didn't have to run it back*

*until years later.

I think there was something where the Genius got a count-out win over him.

Plus there's Yokozuna.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

There was Jake DDTing him on some Wrestling Challenge taping and the crowd responding so much to Jake they never showed the segment

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

The times I think about folks getting the one up on Hogan it was in the lead up to the match. Like Avalanche breaking his ribs

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

fez_machine posted:

There's a reason why they call the sequence The International.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5Wsne4dOI4

See also the standard leapfrog-to-trading-armdrags lucha sequence. I've seen it in Mexico, US, Japan, and probably a bunch of other markets.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

DeathChicken posted:

There was Jake DDTing him on some Wrestling Challenge taping and the crowd responding so much to Jake they never showed the segment
Not exactly: It aired in Providence and Winnipeg, the two markets where they ran Hogan-Jake matches. But nobody's been able to find a copy of it.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Has anyone from AEW said when the idea for Blackpool Combat Club came about? In the initial angle that kicked things off, a heel Danielson was tempting Mox to join forces... but then most of the crowd reactions were like "wait a minute, that actually sounds awesome" so he wasn't getting heel heat for it. I assume TK just pivoted during the buildup to their PPV match and went for a long-term faction instead, but that goes against his supposed MO of booking things 3 years in advance.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Minidust posted:

Has anyone from AEW said when the idea for Blackpool Combat Club came about? In the initial angle that kicked things off, a heel Danielson was tempting Mox to join forces... but then most of the crowd reactions were like "wait a minute, that actually sounds awesome" so he wasn't getting heel heat for it. I assume TK just pivoted during the buildup to their PPV match and went for a long-term faction instead, but that goes against his supposed MO of booking things 3 years in advance.

According to Mox, when Danielson was doing the promo, Mox realized in the moment that it sounded like a rad idea so he talked to Tony about it afterwards. When Regal became available, that solidified it.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Gavok posted:

According to Mox, when Danielson was doing the promo, Mox realized in the moment that it sounded like a rad idea so he talked to Tony about it afterwards. When Regal became available, that solidified it.

Regal also said he'd planned to take a year off from wrestling completely after he got released from WWE, but either Mox or Danielson (I forget which) called him up personally and pitched the idea to him. He also said the idea to call it the Blackpool Combat Club was 100% Mox's idea.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Gavok posted:

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Regal also said he'd planned to take a year off from wrestling completely after he got released from WWE, but either Mox or Danielson (I forget which) called him up personally and pitched the idea to him. He also said the idea to call it the Blackpool Combat Club was 100% Mox's idea.
This owns, thank you.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
My other favorite thing about it was that they kept Regal's debut a secret from everyone except Mox and Danielson, so Tony Schiavone's excited shout of "THAT'S WILLIAM REGAL!" was 100% genuine (and later, when they ran into each other backstage, he hugged Regal and said "You kayfabin' son of a bitch!") :3:

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I would've 100% believed that Regal was the plan all along, because as soon as he showed up, their connection made perfect sense. It felt sort of weird to have Mox and Danielson hanging out before that, until I remembered he had mentored both of them in very different circumstances.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Sydney Bottocks posted:

My other favorite thing about it was that they kept Regal's debut a secret from everyone except Mox and Danielson, so Tony Schiavone's excited shout of "THAT'S WILLIAM REGAL!" was 100% genuine (and later, when they ran into each other backstage, he hugged Regal and said "You kayfabin' son of a bitch!") :3:

:3:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
lol i just rewatched regals debut and bryce goes to chase him from coming into the ring, realizes it's regal, and trips over himself booking it tf out of there lol

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
There was talk of Danielson forming a Dragon-gun shooter stable for a while before BCC formed as well right? Garcia and Yuta were names often thrown around as possible apprentices.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

Kosmo Gallion posted:

There was talk of Danielson forming a Dragon-gun shooter stable for a while before BCC formed as well right? Garcia and Yuta were names often thrown around as possible apprentices.

Iirc this was part of the same promo referenced above. About a month before the actual Moxley/Danielson match. The other name thrown around was Lee Moriarty, who I hope gets some shine soon

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The Taxman posted:

The other name thrown around was Lee Moriarty, who I hope gets some shine soon

Garcia, Yuta, Moriarty. If there’s a feud for the belt with MJF involved, I can see a way to have Moriarty be tempted over as well.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

harperdc posted:

Garcia, Yuta, Moriarty. If there’s a feud for the belt with MJF involved, I can see a way to have Moriarty be tempted over as well.

Moriarty explicitly said he’s after the Pure belt on the Firm’s first promo so it is definitely the direction they’re leading to.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

This is a very silly and very pointless question.

But are "Invisible Man" and "Invisible Stan" affiliated in any way? Is there a stable of invisible wrestlers?

I ask because, much like wrestlers having fun, silly matches vs Yoshihiko, the same wrestlers have had similar matches vesus either of the two invisible wrestlers that I know. So I was thinking that maybe there may have been a tag match, between two normal wrestlers, and the team of Invisible Man and Invisible Stan.

Typing all this out makes me question whether Invisible Stan actually existed at all, and is not just a bad joke I thought up ages ago but never told anyone.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
I do know that Danshoku Dieno brought the Invisible Man match to Japan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcZ41h962SU

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
If I remember correctly, Invisible Stan is Invisible Man's evil twin brother. I've seen a few Invisible Man matches, but I've only seen this Invisible Stan match (vs Invisible Man)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cslu7zFmPjM

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

fez_machine posted:

I do know that Danshoku Dieno brought the Invisible Man match to Japan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcZ41h962SU

He went to Japan for GCW's recent tour

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Where can I watch/stream ECW? Peacock only has it edited.

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

BrigadierSensible posted:

This is a very silly and very pointless question.

But are "Invisible Man" and "Invisible Stan" affiliated in any way? Is there a stable of invisible wrestlers?

I ask because, much like wrestlers having fun, silly matches vs Yoshihiko, the same wrestlers have had similar matches vesus either of the two invisible wrestlers that I know. So I was thinking that maybe there may have been a tag match, between two normal wrestlers, and the team of Invisible Man and Invisible Stan.

Typing all this out makes me question whether Invisible Stan actually existed at all, and is not just a bad joke I thought up ages ago but never told anyone.

Invisible Man and Invisible Stan are mortal enemies so I don't think they have teamed up, but there was a Joey Janela & Invisible Man vs. Kikutaro & Invisible Stan tag on the GCW Worst Behavior 2019 show in Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

Where can I watch/stream ECW? Peacock only has it edited.

:filez:

Unfortunately I can't link one to you because of rules, & even if I could the main site I know recently went private & hasn't gotten around to creating Invites yet. But if you want to watch ECW as god intended, with Natural Born Killaz playing over New Jack matches, torrents are you best bet.