Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

so I said two hall of fame centers are of a similar caliber of player with one being a bit better and this is some kind of crazy statement by a lunatic

a 12 year old etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

is there any moderate mulquetoast statement I can say that will not elicit hyenic cackles of derision from the chorus ?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

it’s like when I said a touchdown was worth 6 points and people flipped the gently caress out

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

euphronius posted:

same number of games

they played in different eras and has different styles (Garnett had way more usage for example) but pretty similar there huh . kg a bit better as I said two times

those are just some stats obviously we don’t have numbers for many important ways centers contribute value

those stats match my eye test as well

Jesus Christ

Horford to his credit has aged like wine, but even at his peak he's only ever been a solid roleplayer. He can effectively guard at the 2, 3, 4, or smallish 5 if they aren't super athletic, and he can hit open threes at roughly the league-average rate or a bit better (he shot the lights out in the finals to his credit; still lost). He's smart. He boxes out and gets boards. Lots to like in terms of having a veteran 4th or 5th man on the floor. He's not the kind of person who can create his own shot lock down an opposing star. He gets torched by guards pretty regularly.

For KG I will assume, generously IMO, that if you only ever saw the 35 year-old version of him play then maybe you'd wrongly get the impression that he wasn't a totally dominant player in his prime. The kind of guy who would effortlessly swat your star team's star on one end and then immediately dunk on your center on the other end. Maybe not a shooter but he'd still make the and-1 free throw.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

what rebounding stat factors in overall team shooting percentage? surely nobody would be stupid enough to pump pure rebounds into an advanced stat formula since it punishes rebounders who play on better shooting teams.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

or better team shooting percentage but only when the rebounder is on the floor himself.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m in my 40s man lol

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

not the kind of person who can create his own shot lock down an opposing star.

the first part isn’t a factor is being a valube two way center and the second part is false . the rest of your scouting report was pretty good I think 👍

also horford was awesome out of the box. in his mid 20s for sure

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

or even better a rebound stat that factors team shooting percentage when the player is on the floor but also distinguishes between 2 point and 3 point attempts and whether those shots were converted into second chance points.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

euphronius posted:

the first part isn’t a factor is being a valube two way center and the second part is false . the rest of your scouting report was pretty good I think 👍

I know he was great vs Embiid but has he done it to any other legit stars

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

a new study bible! posted:

or even better a rebound stat that factors team shooting percentage when the player is on the floor but also distinguishes between 2 point and 3 point attempts and whether those shots were converted into second chance points.

rebounds are not a good stat to judge anything but recording the number of times the scorer credited that person with a rebound

I’d say ignore them entirely. they are not useful.

(getting rebounds is important obviously but it is not related to the separate rebound stat )

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Horford owned Embiid historically, but I don’t remember that being particularly true last season

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

euphronius posted:

it’s like when I said a touchdown was worth 6 points and people flipped the gently caress out

I'm not really surprised that this is how you remember that conversation

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

a new study bible! posted:

Horford owned Embiid historically, but I don’t remember that being particularly true last season

he beat Uber prime Gianni’s

come on . hall of fame level accomplishment

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

euphronius posted:

also horford was awesome out of the box. in his mid 20s for sure

Being able to create scoring opportunities is absolutely valuable, for some reason your brain just ignores that entire part of basketball. It's the kind of thing that separates your Al Horfords from your Bam Adebayos.

RWIII was the actual keystone defensive stopper on the Celtics, which was why his limited availability was so impactful. He can defend 1-5 and swat anyone, and was in my view the best Celtics player in the finals. Horford was out there getting torched by guards five times a game. Which is fine, he's still a very good player, he just has limitationls.

If you watched the finals you'd know this

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

it is valuable it’s not as valuable as a two way center . it’s way more common for example.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

euphronius posted:

it is valuable it’s not as valuable as a two way center . it’s way more common for example.

I thought we agreed not to get wrapped up in positional expectations. Anything that contributes to winning is a valuable asset.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I mean I’ll take it that you recognize horford as a good player and leave it at that

Everyone values players differently it’s what makes sports fun

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

I thought we agreed not to get wrapped up in positional expectations. Anything that contributes to winning is a valuable asset.

horford would be better if he could create a suit like kyrie Irving . but he is still a hall of fame center without it . he goes from a 99 with it to like a 97 without it . it is not a core skill needed by centers

now like a shooting guard that can’t create a shot on his own is a different thing but there have been some of those who have succeeded for sure o guess it’s just that it’s east to find 6 3 guys and it’s hard to find 6 10 athletic guys so yeah centers are inherently more valuable anyway

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

oh no there is another one of my crazy lunatic ideas : height* is important in the nba

crazy !!

* with altheticism

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

euphronius posted:

oh no there is another one of my crazy lunatic ideas : height* is important in the nba

crazy !!

* with altheticism

im muggsy bogues and i dont like this post! :mad:

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

euphronius posted:

he beat Uber prime Gianni’s

come on . hall of fame level accomplishment

he only outplayed giannis in one game. the celtics as a collective team beat giannis

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

so for you it’s

Denver : one man team, jokic gets no help, should get the mvp despite his teamates

Boston: total team effort, horford is only one part of the collective, not fair to single him out

do you see your ideology here ???

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

euphronius posted:

same number of games

they played in different eras and has different styles (Garnett had way more usage for example) but pretty similar there huh . kg a bit better as I said two times

those are just some stats obviously we don’t have numbers for many important ways centers contribute value

those stats match my eye test as well

my god it's the loving win share stats again

mitchell robinson was 8th in ws/48 last year. maybe the nets should trade durant for him https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/r/robinmi01.html

in 2015-2016 hassan whiteside and enes freedom were 7th and 8th in the nba in win shares per 48 minutes https://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/ws_per_48_top_10.html

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

lmao even when in use espn stats it’s wrong

you can’t win !

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

in 2003-2004, brian cardinal had the third highest win shares per 48 minutes in the nba. higher than kobe bryant https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/cardibr01.html

there is literally nobody but you who takes this stat seriously. not stat nerds, not casual fans, not analytics types. nobody

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the writers do !!

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

euphronius posted:

lmao even when in use espn stats it’s wrong

you can’t win !

win shares was literally created by the owner of basketball reference, justin kubatko. it's worthless. it's his own pet project and it has never been used by espn or anyone else

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

ok forget them i only used them for you . I don’t look at them

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

euphronius posted:

the writers do !!

if you read a rag like sports illustrated or bleacher report yeah you might see win shares from time to time, but everybody who cites advanced stats goes with VORP and RPM

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
But you are dunking on jokic because he lacked the core skills, but has the extras in spades.

So your baseline is just core skills. Hortford isn't a number 1 scorer, and that is ok because it is not a core skill for center, but an elite center must have the extra, or they are just a center.

Elite are suppose to stand out. Jokic is a faker since he only stands out, no core. Kg is obviously better than Hortford offensively due to being the freak of his era, he should be a tier higher then.

Dude is responsible for the contract cap, it's pretty disrespectful.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

euphronius posted:

crazy !!

* with altheticism

Horford is undersized for center, yeah

Thankfully he has RWIII there to guard the rim for him

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

what i don't understand is why some writers still cite PER. i think it's because john hollinger went from analytics to columnist to grizzlies vp so it's out of respect for him, but drummond has been like top 10 in PER multiple times and other scrubs like michael beasley were pretty up there too

edit: wrong about drummond, but hassan whiteside was top 10

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

euphronius posted:

ok forget them i only used them for you . I don’t look at them

Advanced stats like Al Horford. You should lean into them. Eye test says he's slow, fat, and boring. Stats say he's great, maybe even the 3rd best player on the Celtics.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
win shares say nikola jokic was the best player in the league for the last two years in a row

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

looking at garnett's stats and i kind of forgot how much him, webber, and vlade divac were the models of pf/centers who get assists before giannis/jokic/draymond took up that mantle. garnett peaked at 6 assists per game one year

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Yossarian-22 posted:

looking at garnett's stats and i kind of forgot how much him, webber, and vlade divac were the models of pf/centers who get assists before giannis/jokic/draymond took up that mantle. garnett peaked at 6 assists per game one year

kg's whole thing was 20/10/5

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

indigi posted:

Duncan? I don't watch enough of Mobley (nor did I watch enough of Duncan for that matter), does his ceiling really project to being a(n arguably) top 5 all time player?

skipped the rest of the posts just to say that yes, mobley has the DNA to become that caliber of player he’s that loving insane and euph would bust loads if he watched cavs games

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

mastershakeman posted:

kg's whole thing was 20/10/5

While being one of the best defensive players to ever play. He's got accolades on that side as well, but it's still understated just how good he was as a defender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

vyelkin posted:

win shares say nikola jokic was the best player in the league for the last two years in a row

I know that’s what I don’t use them . they are bunk