Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How should voting be handled?
This poll is closed.
Select a panel of 3-5 judges from common community members or mods 6 27.27%
Community voting, any SA user can vote 14 63.64%
Other, explain below 2 9.09%
Total: 22 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Cabbages and Kings posted:

:staredog: they replied in like, an hour

"What are 3 machines I'll never own"? :laugh:

:staredog:

loving owns

(i had a weird feeling they would)

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

that is a cool cover and also a good idea, I just emailed them.

it is annoying to me that there are several youtube clips which imply the existence of a longer recording, but I cannot locate it.

Yeah, I found a transcript of it, but no audio of the whole thing. Suspecting somebody did a Barbarella here.

But I did find a good few clips of him in his smart boy glasses.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I've been pretty tore up about how to do this here musically. I've been listening to Reagan and from the perspective of somebody who's been in the Trump thread forever, the man is an eloquent, elegant saint compared to Trump and anybody who supports trump. I'm having a really hard even being critical of him when images of Trumo are dancing through my head. So I decided to make this the theme of my entry, I think. The rules never said I can't put God Emperor Trumo in the recording, and I'm going to have to do some kind of a thing with sort of a beat or whatever that compares or juxtaposes Reagan and Trump speaking on marginally related topics(?). So I think though I'm probably going to be making mine more about Trumo than about Reagan, in a sense. It's not really the spirit of the contest, but show me in the rules where it says a dog on diet pills can't wipe his rear end on the US Constitution and then get elected president.

Oh, and I don't know why I thought Reagan was in Pigskin Parade, I must have been confusing it with Knute Rockne, American Hero.

@Trig, did you do your presentation yet?

ED: and I keep thinking about the use of samples in music and I really want to talk with somebody about it, was thinking maybe there should be a thread, or is there one already?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Reagan really was a great speech deliverer, the problems with him came from the difference in how he sold his policies and how they were implemented. He did damage to this country that we're still dealing with.

Which to me is what makes sampling him fun.. taking his flowery, upbeat language and gluing words together in new ways that reveal what a jerk he was.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

petit choux posted:

I've been pretty tore up about how to do this here musically. I've been listening to Reagan and from the perspective of somebody who's been in the Trump thread forever, the man is an eloquent, elegant saint compared to Trump and anybody who supports trump. I'm having a really hard even being critical of him when images of Trumo are dancing through my head. So I decided to make this the theme of my entry, I think. The rules never said I can't put God Emperor Trumo in the recording, and I'm going to have to do some kind of a thing with sort of a beat or whatever that compares or juxtaposes Reagan and Trump speaking on marginally related topics(?). So I think though I'm probably going to be making mine more about Trumo than about Reagan, in a sense. It's not really the spirit of the contest, but show me in the rules where it says a dog on diet pills can't wipe his rear end on the US Constitution and then get elected president.

Oh, and I don't know why I thought Reagan was in Pigskin Parade, I must have been confusing it with Knute Rockne, American Hero.

@Trig, did you do your presentation yet?

ED: and I keep thinking about the use of samples in music and I really want to talk with somebody about it, was thinking maybe there should be a thread, or is there one already?

i can't tell them apart so its probably fine

getting Real excited thinking about all the cool reagan songs being made

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I haven’t done anything for this yet. :shepface:

Haven’t heard any other submissions either. I have some ideas about what I want to make, but I don’t have the education or experience to pull it off well so it’s gonna be godawful. If it’s alright, I wanna post my current thoughts. Under spoilers so no one is unduly influenced by what I want to make.

I find it interesting that we’re getting a prompt about Reagan and spooky-scary-season alongside synthesizers and samples (including sampled speech). From everything I know about electronic history at the time, all of these elements veered close to each other but never quite converged on a single point, so welding them all together is gonna take some synthesis (:v:) of contemporary genres and sounds.

This is also going to be tonally interesting, complex, and honestly difficult. Reagan and the poo poo he kicked off conjures up an angry, explosive, and spiteful mood in me. Halloween, on the other hand, is a cold, quickly-darkening season full of dread, horror, and anxiety - so I associate it with a heavier, darker, more lethargic mindset (plus more than a little anxiety). These are somewhat opposing energies. I have no idea how to communicate both resentful rage and plodding despair at the same time, and I’ve never really seen it happen in electronic genres either. Darkwave is the closest thing I can think of, but it’s too high energy and doesn’t really make use of sampled speech.

I hate to say this, but the best example I can immediately draw from is early Nine Inch Nails :shobon:

In the meantime, I’m gonna try exploring these genres and pull from them:

- Industrial
- Breakbeat
- Darkwave
- Gothic rock
- Dark electro

And I’d love band suggestions!

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

If you'd like some inspiration for dark electronic sonic themes, I'd like to suggestSurachai

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's probably no coincidence that Trent Reznor's formative years were during the Reagan presidency.

Only puffy paint and the NES got us out of that without becoming that angry.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Pollyanna posted:

And I’d love band suggestions![/spoiler]

In no particular order, *takes a deep breath*

VNV Nation (Amazing live show energy for a band that is two guys with laptops)
The Cure
Siouxsie and the Banshees
Bauhaus
Love and Rockets
Depeche Mode (new wave yet also darkwave)
Kidneythieves
KMFDM (all KMFDM songs are basically the same, but some of them have funnier lyrics than others)
Rabbit Junk (a local Seattle band and a personal fave)
Shriekback, as extensively mentioned elsewhere
Frontline Assembly (and side projects like Noise Unit)
Rotersand
Odonis Odonis
Ayria
Collide
Covenant (another personal favorite)
Clan of Xymox ("Jasmine and Rose" is a song I think of as an exemplar of 'goth rock')
IAMX
Kloud
Dope Stars Inc
Sisters of Mercy
Information Society (specifically the album 'Don't Be Afraid' but also their cover of Dominon Mother Russia by the Sisters of Mercy loving slaps)
i:Scintilla
Seabound
Front-242
Icon of Coil
Apoptygma Berzerk
Peter Murphy (solo work; also a member of seminal goth rock band Bauhaus)
Claire Voyant
Cocteau Twins
Massive Attack (yes really, because of "Inertia Creeps" and heavily featuring Liz Frazer of the Cocteau Twins on Mezzanine)
Grimes (problematic these days but her work pre-Elon is really something)
Gost
Celldweller (and side project Scandroid)
Apoptygma Berzerk
Fischerspooner
Gary Numan (whose recent work is amaaaaaaazing btw)
Ministry
Type O Negative
Wolfsheim
Beborn Beton
London After Midnight
Killing Joke
Hybrid
Assemblage 23
Neuroticfish
The Cruxshadows
Combichrist
Imperative Reaction
Flesh Field
And One
:Wumpscut:
Hocico
Velvet Acid Christ
Praga Khan / Lords Of Acid
Fields of the Nephilim
In Strict Confidence
Christian Death
The Birthday Party
Echo & The Bunnymen
Joy Division
The Smiths technically count, sigh
Duran Duran
Alien Sex Fiend
The The (shares a bassist with The Smiths in Johnny Marr, but a much better band on, like, every level)
Skinny Puppy
The Danse Society
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
oh and of course Laibach - how could I forget those stompy kittens!

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Oct 10, 2022

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Kesper North posted:

In no particular order, *takes a deep breath*

Whew

Psychic TV
Eno and Byrne, My Life in the Bush of Ghosts
Byrne and Twyla Tharp, The Catherine Wheel
Dead Can Dance
Any and all of Wire's electronic stuff, starting with
A Bell is a Cup Until it's Struck

ok I'm done, just trying to think of more electronic and/or ambient leaning stuff from then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IzV3noOdK4

Here, this is the one I kinda meant to put up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB6b-0Fpee0

petit choux fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Oct 10, 2022

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:eyepop:

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Pollyanna posted:

I haven’t done anything for this yet. :shepface:

Haven’t heard any other submissions either. I have some ideas about what I want to make, but I don’t have the education or experience to pull it off well so it’s gonna be godawful. If it’s alright, I wanna post my current thoughts. Under spoilers so no one is unduly influenced by what I want to make.

I find it interesting that we’re getting a prompt about Reagan and spooky-scary-season alongside synthesizers and samples (including sampled speech). From everything I know about electronic history at the time, all of these elements veered close to each other but never quite converged on a single point, so welding them all together is gonna take some synthesis (:v:) of contemporary genres and sounds.

This is also going to be tonally interesting, complex, and honestly difficult. Reagan and the poo poo he kicked off conjures up an angry, explosive, and spiteful mood in me. Halloween, on the other hand, is a cold, quickly-darkening season full of dread, horror, and anxiety - so I associate it with a heavier, darker, more lethargic mindset (plus more than a little anxiety). These are somewhat opposing energies. I have no idea how to communicate both resentful rage and plodding despair at the same time, and I’ve never really seen it happen in electronic genres either. Darkwave is the closest thing I can think of, but it’s too high energy and doesn’t really make use of sampled speech.

I hate to say this, but the best example I can immediately draw from is early Nine Inch Nails :shobon:

In the meantime, I’m gonna try exploring these genres and pull from them:

- Industrial
- Breakbeat
- Darkwave
- Gothic rock
- Dark electro

And I’d love band suggestions!

Skinny Puppy, if I was reccomending something old. Worlock is prob the most obvious https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDEhCm0pxCo.

For something more recent, Randolph and Mortimer are amazing and build a lot of their tracks around speech samples. https://randolphandmortimer.bandcamp.com/album/manifesto-for-a-modern-world They are definitely angry and despairing.

Edit: for an OG industrial band - check out the track GBH84 by Test Dept here, using the speech samples to make a clear statement of what the track is about. https://testdept.bandcamp.com/track/gbh84

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 10, 2022

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Skinny Puppy, if I was reccomending something old. Worlock is prob the most obvious https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDEhCm0pxCo.

For something more recent, Randolph and Mortimer are amazing and build a lot of their tracks around speech samples. https://randolphandmortimer.bandcamp.com/album/manifesto-for-a-modern-world They are definitely angry and despairing.

Edit: for an OG industrial band - check out the track GBH84 by Test Dept here, using the speech samples to make a clear statement of what the track is about. https://testdept.bandcamp.com/track/gbh84

Hey that Randolph and Mortimer is real nice. I'll check out the other too.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Alright, well, holy poo poo I’ve got a lot to listen to. Sunachai and VNV Nation in particular caught my ear, Empress of the Starved Lung is intimidating (in a good way).

Listening to cool music and making cool music are completely separate things so don’t expect my entry to be on the level of these motherfuckers but hey, I’ll try.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The one I'm working on is basically a cover song and every time I go back to the original I get mad at how much better they are at literally everything involved with making a song.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
i started messing with a chippy pattern to try to learn about pattern chaining and scenes in the BSP and also more about the arpitecht

ended up just putting on Reagan reading Freedom's Finest Hour over slightly aggro drummy noises and listened to the whole god drat thing (well, it's still streaming actually, twitch.tv/suboptimalsynthesis)

just an amazingly brokebrained take on the revolutionary war, based on what D&D and CSPAM taught me about American history

i have a couple vocal riffs in mind and i am going to try to just record them this weekend and then go from there :shrug: I'm not going to win and I'm having fun.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Okay I am done (well alright, I could have spent longer but the next couple of weeks will be crazy busy) so here is my finished submission and it is very much in the Identifiable Reagan category.

https://soundcloud.com/trellickindustrial/if-necessary-by-force/s-WLHwRqeLALe?si=747599eeb5c043e7b99e2e35ff68f40c

For the curious, the synths used are a Moog Werkstatt & DFAM as well as Phosycon 2 VST and one of Ableton's stock instruments.

Edit: I just lifted a bunch of samples from speeches here, because the transcripts on a lot of them made it easy to find phrases I liked. So there's samples from a bunch of those (definitely his address to the british parliament in 1982 and some others) as well as the 'evil empire' speech and a couple of movie samples from The Voice of Labor's set.

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 12, 2022

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
listening to "Freedom's Finest Hour", a friend who was watching the stream ID'd a point where, out of context, Reagan reads something like "he was so good, even my wife would come for him" and god drat it now I have to go back through the tape to find that snippet, and I don't have a transcript.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Okay I am done (well alright, I could have spent longer but the next couple of weeks will be crazy busy) so here is my finished submission and it is very much in the Identifiable Reagan category.

https://soundcloud.com/trellickindustrial/if-necessary-by-force/s-WLHwRqeLALe?si=747599eeb5c043e7b99e2e35ff68f40c

For the curious, the synths used are a Moog Werkstatt & DFAM as well as Phosycon 2 VST and one of Ableton's stock instruments.

:nice:, followed on soundcloud

Around 10/25 I am going to post a spreadsheet here with everyone who toxx'd and submissions to date. I am not counting any of my random videos as submissions, I will submit something at some point, and it may not be much better than my random videos!!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't wanna grow up, I'm an immature little kid.

https://soundcloud.com/mrxzzy/nuts/s-VNW6hjwjC2O?si=9f72743098f94fcdb56813b2cd16fbc2

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
I spent hours yesterday splicing up Reagan voice clips and I’m surprised he didn’t show up in a nightmare.

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3
Look upon my works, ye mighty, and despair

https://soundcloud.com/nateshap/crocodile-prayers

Submitted under "Identifiable Reagan", although there are some hidden ones in there as well. Let's get weird

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sweet_Joke_Nectar posted:

Look upon my works, ye mighty, and despair
Diggin' that groove in the middle.

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

Diggin' that groove in the middle.

Thanks! :cheers:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think I'm done. I don't know what I'm doing.. but I did it anyways. It's guaranteed I sit on it for a day and decide something needs tweaked so maybe this will force me to live with my mistakes.

https://soundcloud.com/mrxzzy/trickle-down-beat

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

xzzy posted:

I think I'm done. I don't know what I'm doing.. but I did it anyways. It's guaranteed I sit on it for a day and decide something needs tweaked so maybe this will force me to live with my mistakes.

https://soundcloud.com/mrxzzy/trickle-down-beat

Aw hell yeah

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
https://beyondchron.org/lest-we-forget-reagan-honored-nazis/

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
Here it is, my entry, spooky Reagan EVP!

https://soundcloud.com/user-801512603/the-gipper-lurking-in-the-spectra

I think this still counts as Identifiable Reagan.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
file under recognizable reagan

666-40-1488

https://soundcloud.com/rid_labs/666...=social_sharing

it could've used some polish but I've put as much time into it as I really wanted to.

using "Al-Farabi's Greek genus forte disjunctum primum" as a tuning because it was the first thing that had a 6 in the file name.

I used battery for the samples, chipsynth md, whispair for some of the bass, it's p' good for free and surge for a lot of the leads and noise. surge is absolutely fantastic and free

The Voice of Labor fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Oct 24, 2022

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

The Voice of Labor posted:

file under recognizable reagan

666-40-1488

https://soundcloud.com/rid_labs/666-40-1488a

it could've used some polish but I've put as much time into it as I really wanted to.

using "Al-Farabi's Greek genus forte disjunctum primum" as a tuning because it was the first thing that had a 6 in the file name.

I used battery for the samples, chipsynth md, whispair for some of the bass, it's p' good for free and surge for a lot of the leads and noise. surge is absolutely fantastic and free

Link says track is unavailable/private, I need to hear that sweet sweet Reagan

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
try the edited link

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

The Voice of Labor posted:

try the edited link

There it is!

I too approve of larceny

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

One more week!

I will pull a list of who has submitted what together today or tomorrow, I am pretty sick at the moment.

Should the eventual voting thread be in this forum or in NMD or someplace even more visible?

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
I'm so very sorry everyone.
This one is a recognisable Reagan.
https://soundcloud.com/user-128663089/the-ascent-of-bonzo

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
lol. if I can figure out the sample voice in chiptune md I may have to post a sonic three track with the "uh" samples replaced with "well...uh" samples

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wrageowrapper posted:

I'm so very sorry everyone.
This one is a recognisable Reagan.
https://soundcloud.com/user-128663089/the-ascent-of-bonzo

Don't apologize, you're making art. Fun art!

And I can see that AI has taken over the indie artists cobbling together track art market. Guilty of it myself.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

xzzy posted:

And I can see that AI has taken over the indie artists cobbling together track art market. Guilty of it myself.

nervously glances at OP

It doesn't look to me link NMD gets meaningfully more traffic than this forum (based on the sole datapoint of "users online at 4am EST")

the total chaos option is to put the voting thread into GBS. Alternatively, leave it here and I will do a quick banner ad campaign but IDK how effective those are in the world of ABP and no-ads addon platinum boomers like me

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

nervously glances at OP

It doesn't look to me link NMD gets meaningfully more traffic than this forum (based on the sole datapoint of "users online at 4am EST")

the total chaos option is to put the voting thread into GBS. Alternatively, leave it here and I will do a quick banner ad campaign but IDK how effective those are in the world of ABP and no-ads addon platinum boomers like me

Put it in CSPAM!

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost

petit choux posted:

Put it in CSPAM!

:hmmyes:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bribe the mods to give it an announcement post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

well I'm trying to announce it in the Trumo thread now and then, FWIW and I will continue to.