Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
I was repeatedly running a dungeon with my trust squad for those all-important glam reasons, and the dungeon took significantly, noticeably longer to complete when I played Reaper and took a DPS slot than when I played Paladin and let the trust members do the DPSing. The bosses were lasting long enough to pull off moves that the paladin had never seen.

Granted I'm probably bad at DPS, but I'm not that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

I did my first 24 person alliance raid last night . After years of wow it was the perfect little raid experience

Raid finder but not toxic somehow

I've run the various stages of Crystal Tower a few dozen times by now and have had literally one toxic instance, where someone took issue with pulling Bone Dragon (literally said "you can heal through it if the healers are awake") which lead to Alliance B intentionally not standing on the pad for Atomos ("you can ignore the mechanics if your DPS are awake") and intentionally wiping (once) to Ancient Flare ("it's not like everybody has to stand on it"). I was more annoyed that none of the Crimson set dropped on that run.

Tekopo posted:

EDIT: Everyone should try to sell their own favourite jobs, because every job has a reason to be awesome in this game.

Red Mage is Black Mage with ADHD. That may not sound like a selling point, but it is. Where BLM is about spamming fire, then casting maybe two ice spells and a lightning before switching back to fire, RDM is constantly swapping between lightning, wind, and non-elemental with occasional dips into fire and earth, then by their powers combined becomes Captain Stabby, then can decide they're bored and want to heal for a bit. Their mobility is hard to beat, they can be halfway across the arena on an oGCD and do it multiple times if need be, plus they have a one-button ranged nuke on a 25-second cooldown.

Plus you get to look dapper as gently caress, it's canon.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Gunbreaker literally turns you into a cross between Squall and Seifer from FF8.

Also you get access to a variety of cool rear end coats and jackets.

Also also gunblades are badass.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Tekopo posted:

EDIT: Everyone should try to sell their own favourite jobs, because every job has a reason to be awesome in this game.
Sages get to do DPS just as much as white mages, except instead of playing "how low can the tank go before I have to use a GCD heal" limbo in dungeons, you can play "how long can I keep everyone almost full without using a GCD heal during a fight", and the answer is usually "pretty much the whole run".

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Someone had a macro that posted “the thing is happening !! Make sure you do the thing !”

Or similar . It was so cute .

No one dropped group. No one cursed in chat. No one posted logs. It was so chill

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Hearing that raids are not as toxic like WoW has me like:

Batui
Mar 13, 2005

Bards have 2 DOTs and DOTs are cool. Get to still do damage to the boss while you're tanking the floor. You also get a button to refresh both DOTs at the same time!

They also have the best hats.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

BLM has glowy orbs that float around you. Clearly the best class.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

BRD has a ton of mobility, a set of 2 minute buff moves that make you triple tap a boss for a crapton of damage, a fairly fluid "rotation" of sorts which is more like hitting buttons when they come up while weaving around your base attack, and when you get bored you can whip out your flute and annoy your raid group with lahee

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Feldegast42 posted:

BRD has a ton of mobility, a set of 2 minute buff moves that make you triple tap a boss for a crapton of damage, a fairly fluid "rotation" of sorts which is more like hitting buttons when they come up while weaving around your base attack, and when you get bored you can whip out your flute and annoy your raid group with lahee

Can't use perform in raids, unfortunately.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Bruceski posted:

Can't use perform in raids, unfortunately.

W-well you can annoy them back at the fc house!

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I thought that referred to just spamming Peloton, lol.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Feldegast42 posted:

W-well you can annoy them back at the fc house!

And I do! Clumsily figuring your way around the controller is the only way, people who use MIDI player mods are cowards who only deserve credit if they at least coded the MIDI themselves.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 12, 2022

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

alliance raids are *extremely* casual content in this game. you get some toxicity when trying to party finder savage (though its not nearly as bad as some other games) but you'll basically never run into it in alliance raids.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Only time I've only been salty at someone in an alliance raid is when some moron caused a wipe on THAT mechanic on the last boss of the current alliance raid by running back and forth.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
even in savage PF, the worst I tend to see is people calling the entire party bad and then leaving

I barely ever see someone getting called out even if it's obvious they're holding the party back, and I'm not sure I've ever seen it rise to the level of name-calling, much less slurs.

From context, not having played wow, that's what I tend to assume people mean when they say ffxiv is less toxic. If you're bad, people will be passive aggressive about it instead of aggressive aggressive.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The worst I've ever seen someone say in a PF for Savages has been "I don't think this party will clear today" and immediately leave.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Tekopo posted:

The worst I've ever seen someone say in a PF for Savages has been "I don't think this party will clear today" and immediately leave.

That's a dick move because then you have to abandon the instance and get another party member. You can't do Savages with only 7 people unless they've buffed it with like 25% Echo.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I can understand the frustration though, especially if you join a PF for a specific prog point and you have multiple wipes before you reach that prog point. I've done it myself, although I usually give a "I'm leaving after 2 pulls if we don't reach the prog point" warning before leaving.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I had someone get upset at me for leaving once, it was a p4s loot party that was actually an act 2 prog party

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Kwyndig posted:

That's a dick move because then you have to abandon the instance and get another party member. You can't do Savages with only 7 people unless they've buffed it with like 25% Echo.

That isn't a dick move. You shouldn't stick around for parties whose goals clearly don't align with yours and guess what, finding a replacement is easy-peasy.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

If PF is your endgame you gotta learn to be kind of cutthroat and leave when things look very bad otherwise you'll just be wasting your time. Obviously leaving the second anyone messes up at all is silly but when you join a farm party and people are struggling to get past the first mechanic you should ask yourself if it's worth it.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

I just checked the MSQ list and oh my god I'm not even halfway through the ARR patch content yet :negative:

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
You can do it!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I've seen a handful of toxic players, but usually they just quietly leave in a huff because GMs are very good about following up on reports.

Honestly the most annoying is when people in an alliance raid get into a slapfight and just will not stop for the entire run of the thing. One time I had someone demanding to solo heal the second Shadowbringers raid, because they were a "savage raider" and could handle it. The other healer agreed, but the tank was pissed and they started arguing and didn't stop until after the last boss.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Mesadoram posted:

Hearing that raids are not as toxic like WoW has me like:

From my experiences, this is the main/one of the main reasons:

Begemot posted:

I've seen a handful of toxic players, but usually they just quietly leave in a huff because GMs are very good about following up on reports.

GMs in this game will actually do something about people being pieces of poo poo so it's best for people to not be assholes, or just not talk at all. It even extends to people that stream; I saw a clip of Arthars yelling about someone while streaming, and later on a GM pulled him into jail and linked a clip of it back to him before suspending his account.

Tekopo posted:

I usually give a "I'm leaving after 2 pulls if we don't reach the prog point" warning before leaving.
This is generally what I do as well. I read somewhere that the etiquette on Japanese servers is that Savage clear groups will usually disband after 3 wipes, so if the group does not look promising I'll give it 2-3 wipes before saying "last pull for me" and then "tyfp" before leaving the instance.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

yeah, no, no one is obligated to spend the hour and a half lockout in a late prog or clear party watching the illiterate and/or rear end in a top hat who joined fresh repeatedly wipe the raid on the first mechanic over and over and over again

just walk out
you can leave!!!
if it sucks...hit da bricks!!!

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 12, 2022

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I always feel bad because the “bad” player may literally be 9 years old or disabled in some way and imagine how bad they feel if the chat is all negative on them :(.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

In two years I've encountered three people who said or did something that I felt was reportable (not counting all the gil seller spam)

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I'm willing to spend a long time helping bad players in a dungeon or whatever. In savage PF though if it's listed as a clear/loot/late prog party I'm bailing once it's obvious the goal isn't happening, and the nine year old can join a practice from start party if they don't like that.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

I wouldn't call any of the following people toxic, but i recently did a savage raid where the PF clearly said first timers doing practice. One guy joined, five minutes later said "oops i thought this was a loot group" and left, meaning they didn't read the description. Another person left after 3 wipes, which is fair if you don't want to deal with the struggle. But again, the pf did say first time practice.

The only outright toxic gamer moment I encountered was when I was healer for the final EW dungeon, and a dps player got real salty at me for letting him die near the start. Yes, i was not playing my best that night, but a) that guy stood still in the poison pools and b) the other dps was dying every other mechanic and i did everything i could do to keep the party from wiping.

DemoneeHo fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 12, 2022

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

No wait, i forgot the other big toxic moment i've had was when a tank trolled everyone in O9 by constantly pulling aggro and running in circles so the boss would kill everyone else with cleaves and what not. And letting him stay dead was not an option cause one healer was their friend and kept rezzing them. We did end up beating it, but i don't know why we didn't try vote kicking them.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

maybe young people dont even play mmos anymore. They all seem to play roblox.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

i know people already responded to this, but, the way bigger dick move is joining a Mechanic 6 prog party when you haven't even cleared Mechanic 3 yet. i've found that on average pf savage prog groups are remarkably patient when it comes to deaths on earlier mechanics so long as it's clear people know what they're doing, but when it becomes obvious it's not just human error wipes but "never even saw the mechanic" wipes, you're under no obligation to humour people when you only got so many hours in the week to prog a fight

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Tekopo posted:

Something I've seen in the last couple of weeks is "this group isn't ready for clear/progpoint/whatever" which tries to hide the same idea behind an excuse of being an objective judge. Usually said by the person who's screwing it up. It feels like a switch flipped and folks started using it so maybe it's a meme of some jerk party member and the people using it completely miss the irony.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 12, 2022

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The only time I reported someone was, in all places, Arum Vale. Tank pulls part of the first room, one of the DPS pulls an extra mob by mistake (it’s easy to do in AV first room because the mobs move around a lot), and instead of adjusting the tank decides to stand still, not draw aggro and types “DPS don’t pull”. We wipe and everyone including me is like “chill, it was a mistake” but the tank decides to stop tanking altogether and just stands there while others drop. We kick him from the instance.

As a tank main, nothing gets to me more than lovely prima donna tanks.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Aurum Vale's first room is specifically a room where unexpected mobs wandering over and targeting someone is part of the difficulty of the room lol

not only were they a primadonna, they didn't even understand what was actually happening

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I've only reported one person and they were trying to scam me with a fake link to the official forums

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I can't believe YoshiP would do this! www dot shadyl!nk . squareenix. tk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

cheetah7071 posted:

Aurum Vale's first room is specifically a room where unexpected mobs wandering over and targeting someone is part of the difficulty of the room lol

not only were they a primadonna, they didn't even understand what was actually happening

Yeah, I don't know that I've ever been in an AV where we've made clean minimum pulls on the first room. Even veteran players will get a little out of alignment and grab an extra.