Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Spoiler that poo poo, guys. I nearly had a panic attack when I opened the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Waltzing Along posted:

I nearly had a panic attack when I opened the thread.

Maybe this will help

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
MOC/MOD progress shots.

I really like the Spring Lantern Festival but I don't like how it just *ends* on the left-hand side. Since that section is on half a baseplate I decided to put it on a full one, put a wall in, and put an end-cap building on the other half. The aim is to have something like this:

The building in that picture is this MOC of the 3-in-1 Noodle Shop (from the same person/people who did the City of Lanterns/garage MOC on the previous page). I took that and went further, picking up an third set so I could fill in the back wall, make some areas more secure, open up and extend the side (inspired by this), and retain more design elements from the original set and B/C models (the first floor windows, the roofline, the stairs, a few other bits)

Still to do: interior fit-out, additional detailing (some more lanterns, maybe a stair rail), tiling the floor, and adding the garden and wall

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
For too long, Lego fans have enjoyed building Vic Vipers! Now is the time of Moai!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

OK have another one then:

It looks like he has three birds in his mouth with their beaks poking out

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

bird with big dick posted:

Haha. Pwnd.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
If anyone is doing the prime day stuff looks like they discounted most LEGO products, nothing insane but looks like the majority of items that got a discount just moved back to the pre price increase price.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

bird with big dick posted:

how big them bird dicks tho

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

spaced ninja posted:

If anyone is doing the prime day stuff looks like they discounted most LEGO products, nothing insane but looks like the majority of items that got a discount just moved back to the pre price increase price.

Where are you seeing this? As far as I can see, there are only a couple sets discounted right now. Yesterday there were 10 or so but those are back to normal or sold out.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Doctor Spaceman posted:

MOC/MOD progress shots.

This is all really cool. I love the creation of an alley too. You can tuck a cute little scene in there. Kids playing soccer, lovers stealing a kiss, or even an illicit sale of lepin pieces. :ninja:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Waltzing Along posted:

Where are you seeing this? As far as I can see, there are only a couple sets discounted right now. Yesterday there were 10 or so but those are back to normal or sold out.

I’m definitely seeing it too, AT-AT and Ninjago gardens at least are the old prices. Unless that was always the case?

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Here's a website with official lego sets built in Studio.
https://www.pascalsbricks.co.za/official-sets-bricklink-studio-files/
Could be a nice resource.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I remember the sheriff's safe had instructions that were zoomable and you could rotate the model.
We know Lego has a CAD and even encourages using studio. Why can't their digital instructions be as good

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

Why can't their digital instructions be as good

It's because they're set up to be printed, which means they are lower resolution and are more "presentable." They apparently just export the pdf of the official document and call it done.

The straight to digital instructions are easy to read and really good.. at the lego instructions site compare the main build for the new galaxy explorer to the two alternate builds. It's night and day.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

xzzy posted:

It's because they're set up to be printed, which means they are lower resolution and are more "presentable." They apparently just export the pdf of the official document and call it done.

The straight to digital instructions are easy to read and really good.. at the lego instructions site compare the main build for the new galaxy explorer to the two alternate builds. It's night and day.

I feel though the process of making the printed instructions first uses whatever CAD they use and they could give us those online. At least in the app where people aren't printing from.

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002
If it isn't broken, fix it till it is.
I've tried asking the Aliexpress seller I bought my Dinggao 6566 Princess Star from, and tried searching the internet, but I can't seem to find a PDF of the manual. The printed one has horrible coloring, and I play detective to figure out what colors are what, and was hoping I could use a digital reference.

Anyone know where I can find a copy of it?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Mine GO BOOM posted:

I've tried asking the Aliexpress seller I bought my Dinggao 6566 Princess Star from, and tried searching the internet, but I can't seem to find a PDF of the manual. The printed one has horrible coloring, and I play detective to figure out what colors are what, and was hoping I could use a digital reference.

OMG you bought the fairy princess death star. You are my hero.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

I am halfway through building 910003 Mountain Windmill which is my first BrickLink purchase and it is a nice-looking set so far but the instructions have given me a new appreciation for LEGO's in-house designers.

The Windmill set is very fiddly to build and pretty fragile overall, I am constantly knocking parts off of it in a way that I am not used to when building 'official' LEGO sets. One of my least favorite parts of building sets is stacking a bunch of 1-dot-wide pieces on top of each other and getting all of the corners lined up correctly and this set has that in abundance.

My previous build before this one was Lion Knight's Castle and I felt like that set did a good job of layering/overlapping bricks in the castle walls in a way that made them pretty structurally sound. Mountain Windmill has been the opposite, there are sections where the same width brick is used for 4 or 5 layers in a row which makes parts of the walls feel very unstable.

I am looking forward to displaying this set when done but don't know if I would consider buying another BrickLink set based on how this build has felt. It kind of reminds me of some of the less-fun MOCs I have built over the years where the designers were stretching the limits of what parts were available in given sets and had to sacrifice stability for aesthetics.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They are some of my favorite minifigs and I can't bring myself to get rid of them, but goddamn so many of the figures from the Jabba the Hutt sets from around 2012 are pricey as hell now. I feel like I could pay for half of the couch I bought the other day if I sold just the figures from those sets.

It's weirdly recent too. They really didn't sell for much until recently. I got all of those sets for pretty cheap within the last 5-6 years. I guess it's just a byproduct of Lego's general neglect for ROTJ? Also slave Leia getting ousted forever probably.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Oct 13, 2022

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Mine GO BOOM posted:

I never of this thing before but this is the greatest thing ever. :aaa: well, not really, but it is really insanely awesome.

https://www.yourwobb.com/products/dinggao-6566-princess-star?variant=41368954437788

I love how this website blurrs all the characters. :allears:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The Witch GWP is up. Also Amazon still has a bunch of stuff on sale

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

HOT NEW LEAKS in the vein of 2022 Lego dot tee ex tee. If you thought the Black Panther bust was something that nobody asked for, well lemme tell you about...

how the much rumored $550 Hulkbuster is real and it comes in at a comically low for the cost 4049 pieces.

It looks pretty drat spot on, and it's clearly massive... but why?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Would be better with a tiny Mark Ruffalo head instead of the helmet

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I’m sure there are tons of people who want a Lego hulk buster? This really doesn’t seem that strange, in fact if anything it’s stranger this hasn’t been done already

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

That's because they already made one in 2018.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

BaconCopter posted:

HOT NEW LEAKS in the vein of 2022 Lego dot tee ex tee. If you thought the Black Panther bust was something that nobody asked for, well lemme tell you about...

how the much rumored $550 Hulkbuster is real and it comes in at a comically low for the cost 4049 pieces.

It's a giant badass Lego Mech with striking colors. There are certainly people who will want that, I'm not one of them though.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Can't say I dislike the trend of releasing huge expensive sets that I have no interest in.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I’m sure there are tons of people who want a Lego hulk buster? This really doesn’t seem that strange, in fact if anything it’s stranger this hasn’t been done already
it has been though:

https://brickset.com/sets/76105-1/The-Hulkbuster-Ultron-Edition

Yeah, it's smaller, but it's still definitely a bigass collectors' Hulkbuster with a UCS plaque. Only this one was 1,363 pieces at $120.

also I made a beer pong

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They make 5 hulk busters and 17 star destroyers but I can't get one Apollo CSM.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Cojawfee posted:

They make 5 hulk busters and 17 star destroyers but I can't get one Apollo CSM.

It comes free with the Saturn 5

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I finally built my Pyramid half.
Its cool! The little pyramids have tombs in them too. (Though I feel they should have been super shiny gold)
They also included to axel-holes int he back like it's a modular and they know you're going to buy a second, and they're correct. If I don't spend too much over the next too months I will finish the pyramid and expand to have the third lil pyramid and whatever.

I also puyt a 1x1 pointy cap on the trophy/statue in the front so now it's the great pyramid-head pyramid.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Would be better with a tiny Mark Ruffalo head instead of the helmet
That's the Hulkbuster Mark 2, this is the original one. :goonsay:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

HootTheOwl posted:

It comes free with the Saturn 5

What is this, a capsule for ants?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Cojawfee posted:

What is this, a capsule for ants?

trophysized dudes

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer

HootTheOwl posted:

I remember the sheriff's safe had instructions that were zoomable and you could rotate the model.
We know Lego has a CAD and even encourages using studio. Why can't their digital instructions be as good

There are more of them in the app that have the 3D instructions now but it looks like they’re prioritising the kids sets. For example almost all the Monkie Kid sets do, but in the recent technic sets it’s only the 7+ aged ones.

edit: all of this years speed champions have 3D instructions

Destroyenator fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 14, 2022

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

BaconCopter posted:

What bothers me about this is that it still has a single printed dome for the head piece, despite the head itself having interesting shapes and texture that are entirely missing.

I'll be passing on this. I have the originally and already modded it to look as good as I could.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I like the look of the $150 UCS Hulkbuster they did a few years ago more. That was the perfect price and scale for something like that. That one looked really impressive to me

Lego is going off the drat deep end. Like, I get why they do some sets that cost a fortune. Stuff like the really big SW sets, the Titanic, the Coliseum...It's all stuff that represents this huge thing and it's elevated by having this big detailed, overwhelming model that takes up a whole shelf. But now it just feels like they are trying to find things to charge a fortune for that don't even warrant it and work better at scale and price that is more reasonable.

As a Lego SW guy, looking at that Hulkbuster or Black Panther, it feels like if they did say, a new UCS X-Wing and instead of making it the same size as the old ones they made it 3 feet long and $600. I'd just be like "wtf is the point of this? How does this even fit the rest of my collection?"

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I like the look of the $150 UCS Hulkbuster they did a few years ago more. That was the perfect price and scale for something like that. That one looked really impressive to me

Lego is going off the drat deep end. Like, I get why they do some sets that cost a fortune. Stuff like the really big SW sets, the Titanic, the Coliseum...It's all stuff that represents this huge thing and it's elevated by having this big detailed, overwhelming model that takes up a whole shelf. But now it just feels like they are trying to find things to charge a fortune for that don't even warrant it and work better at scale and price that is more reasonable.

As a Lego SW guy, looking at that Hulkbuster or Black Panther, it feels like if they did say, a new UCS X-Wing and instead of making it the same size as the old ones they made it 3 feet long and $600. I'd just be like "wtf is the point of this? How does this even fit the rest of my collection?"

This is kinda where I am. I absolutely appreciate that there are people some of these sets are for, but some of the recent releases are a little inexplicable. I mean, is there really a market for a gigantic life-size bust of Black Panther? I mean, even the brick built Mjolnir (also inexplicable) makes more sense than a large bust of a dude's head. I really appreciate that Lego is making big sets for niche interests -- the Mos Eisley Cantina is one of these -- but it feels like somebody at Lego finally got a whiff of that adult collector money and started greenlighting every oversized project that crossed their desks. To me, stuff like the modulars are the sweet spot. It's big enough that it's a fun adult 'thing', but it's also compact enough that you're not dedicating an entire shelf to something. But seeing the recent trend, I won't be shocked if the 2023 modular is a four baseplate wide museum... where both ends are endcaps.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
For me, it's also the more something is over minifig scale the less impressive it becomes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

but it feels like somebody at Lego finally got a whiff of that adult collector money and started greenlighting every oversized project that crossed their desks.

Yeah, this.

I could just be projecting, but I think the adult collector market is more fickle than Lego thinks. It really feels like Lego is at the point where some suit was like "these schmucks just want to blow all of their money on Lego, let's give them what they want." But for me at least, I'm not dying to spend tons of money on Lego. I"m potentially willing to spend tons of money on Lego if they do something that feels special. I didn't buy the Star Destroyer because I was sick of that $700 being in my bank account. I bought it because I spent the last decade wishing I had the old one, then they put out a new one and it was even better and felt really exciting. At one point I would have been more excited for a UCS AT-AT than anything else, but they just dumped it so soon I was like "oh cool another $800" I still haven't bought it and don't know if I will.

Just the rate that they are releasing luxury sets, the low bar for what subject matter warrants one, the massive price increases...It's all just making me really give lego the side eye atm.