Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

You can look at zombie games like back for blood for good monsters etc, because each monster has a type that does a thing. And if you see the monster you know what it's going to do. Versus the current setup where you have no idea because the mods are random relative to the type of the monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The mob type does matter though. A generic skeleton with a deadly mod isn't even remotely as threatening as a Kitava Herald with the same mod, and it's absurd to claim otherwise.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I still maintain that the goal of Archnem mods is good but it's done terribly. I find the vast majority of Archnem mods inexcusable as they are right now. Like look at this:

quote:

Flameweaver
25% of Physical Damage Converted to Fire Damage
50% of Physical Damage as Extra Fire Damage
50% increased Fire Damage
+50% to Fire Resistance
50% reduced effect of Scorch
Inflicts Fire Exposure on Hit (10%)

Why does it need to convert phys to fire and add phys as fire? Usually converting to fire actually lowers the overall damage the monster would be doing, just raise the number of phys added if needed, it doesn't need 2 lines. And what the hell is the scorch mod even there for? It's an alternate ailment that players shouldn't be expected to think about except for very specific cases anyways, why is it in this extremely common mod that you find throughout the entire game? Not to mention these mods shouldn't be loving with elemental ailment effect in particular, because ailments are ALREADY based on damage dealt of that element. In any reasonable case, the difficulty to inflict ailments on enemies should already be covered by making them more resistant to the elements, and if players do something that gets around that, just let them. Exposure is also such a stupid thing to put on there. Monsters dealing more fire damage should be handled by... them doing more fire damage.

Again, if it's something like endgame mods in Simulacrum or deep Delve I get having poo poo bypass standard expectations but this is not the place to introduce this sort of mechanic. Just looking at that list of archnem mods for a single monster I don't think it's remotely okay that they haven't been drastically culled down in scope, and then the numbers adjusted to reach the balance they are looking for. Here's what I'd do:

quote:

Gargantuan
20% increased Damage
40% increased maximum Life
80% increased Area of Effect
40% increased Character Size

Hasted
40% increased Movement Speed
100% increased Evasion Rating
30% increased Attack and Cast Speed
Gain Frenzy Charges on Hit
Nearby Allies have 30% increased Attack and Cast Speed
Nearby Allies have 40% increased Movement Speed
Note: Condense attack, cast, and movement speed to 1 line and make the numbers the same IMO

Deadeye
Randomly applies Poacher's Mark, Assassin's Mark or Warlord's Mark (removed when monster dies)
20% increased Damage
100% increased Accuracy Rating
100% increased Critical Strike Chance
Nearby Allies have 100% increased Accuracy Rating and 100% increased Critical Strike Chance
Note: probably just pick 1 mark.

Flameweaver
25% of Physical Damage Converted to Fire Damage
50% of Physical Damage as Extra Fire Damage
50% increased Fire Damage
+50% to Fire Resistance
50% reduced effect of Scorch
Inflicts Fire Exposure on Hit (10%)

Also, there's just too many mods. Many of them overlap and could just be made 1 mod. Many of them just shouldn't exist period. There's like 60 or 70 mods, I'd argue that list should really be like 25-30 before the god touched mods and all the god touched mods are reasonable now because they all give the same defensive bonuses and spawn the god.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Phys converted to fire helps achieve the design goal of physical mitigation being less relevant for elemental themed monsters. But also, fundamentally, it's not adding any real complexity for the reader - you can read that mod as "deals more and takes less fire damage" and get what is basically enough info.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

QuantaStarFire posted:

The mob type does matter though. A generic skeleton with a deadly mod isn't even remotely as threatening as a Kitava Herald with the same mod, and it's absurd to claim otherwise.
that is generally the exception rather than the norm though; and often archnemesis mods can synergize in really bad ways with said exceptions.

like for example when you get magma barrier on an enemy that can quickly run you down, or if you get the especially bad combination of assassin + magma barrier.

with how much power is concentrated in archnemesis mods it creates a sort of boss goblin. sometimes the game rolls the perfect combination of mob type + archnemesis mods that can allow them to kill you before you can react. when power is more concentrated in the base enemy type then you can generally understand when something is going to be dangerous at a glance. part of the reason why archnemesis becomes such a shitshow is you have a combination of league content designed with high base mob power combined with the exponential boom from archnemesis mods creating stuff that's difficult to deal with, like how delve was early in the league.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Kinda surprised GGG highlighted a Wardloop build, since it doesn't seem to jibe with their ~*ViSiOn*~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW_l0_tPo9k

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

FZeroRacer posted:

that is generally the exception rather than the norm though; and often archnemesis mods can synergize in really bad ways with said exceptions.

like for example when you get magma barrier on an enemy that can quickly run you down, or if you get the especially bad combination of assassin + magma barrier.

with how much power is concentrated in archnemesis mods it creates a sort of boss goblin. sometimes the game rolls the perfect combination of mob type + archnemesis mods that can allow them to kill you before you can react. when power is more concentrated in the base enemy type then you can generally understand when something is going to be dangerous at a glance. part of the reason why archnemesis becomes such a shitshow is you have a combination of league content designed with high base mob power combined with the exponential boom from archnemesis mods creating stuff that's difficult to deal with, like how delve was early in the league.

This is their intention.

Sometimes, you get a combination of mods that make a rare really strong and dangerous. It makes the game interesting and is good.

ZionestLord
Jan 9, 2010

totalnewbie posted:

This is their intention.

Sometimes, you get a combination of mods that make a rare really strong and dangerous. It makes the game interesting and is good.

wrong

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

whypick1 posted:

Kinda surprised GGG highlighted a Wardloop build, since it doesn't seem to jibe with their ~*ViSiOn*~

what about it doesn't jive with their vision? wardloop is the current ggg sanctioned autobomber build. I'd argue it's more the culmination of ggg's vision than anything else as it uses a ton of niche stuff to work at all

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
How expensive it it now to make? Need a new build to try.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Herstory Begins Now posted:

what about it doesn't jive with their vision? wardloop is the current ggg sanctioned autobomber build. I'd argue it's more the culmination of ggg's vision than anything else as it uses a ton of niche stuff to work at all

Semi-serious answer: it looks fun

You are right that it is the one approved autobomber build we're allowed to have (funny enough, watched a video earlier today about how dead Herald of Ice/Thunder autobombers are and how they could stand to be reworked).

Femur posted:

How expensive it it now to make? Need a new build to try.

Looking at poe.ninja, the flask is 2d, Divergent CwDTs are 4d, Annhilating Light is ~2d for a 6L, Brutal Restraint is 40c, Heartbound Loops cost nothing basically, Anomolous Skellies are 2-3d, To Dust is ~100c. You do need some pretty good Ward gear to counteract the 70% less mod from the flask though.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 13, 2022

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

i haven't done any of the crafting myself but my understanding is that you can craft good wardloop gear relatively easily by just spamming dense fossils at things

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

whypick1 posted:

Semi-serious answer: it looks fun

You are right that it is the one approved autobomber build we're allowed to have (funny enough, watched a video earlier today about how dead Herald of Ice/Thunder autobombers are and how they could stand to be reworked).

Looking at poe.ninja, the flask is 2d, Divergent CwDTs are 4d, Annhilating Light is ~2d for a 6L, Brutal Restraint is 40c, Heartbound Loops cost nothing basically, Anomolous Skellies are 2-3d, To Dust is ~100c. You do need some pretty good Ward gear to counteract the 70% less mod from the flask though.

I wouldn't try to make wardloop with less than 60div and I'd probably want to have more like 100 div for it. Probably more, especially since ggg just hyped the build. EDIT: looking at this league's prices for wardloop stuff, probably more than 100 at minimum. there aren't really any cheap ways to get around having all the necessary parts

you also need i84 flask clusters that are 10 div each for the bases, if not vastly more. the To Dusts you need are 20/20 or 19/20 rolls (you need at least one of each), which is another ~20 div at current prices. all the ward gear requires max level bases with 92 or 100% base rolls and you're then probably spamming dense fossils and finishing with eldritch chaos until you get good enough suffixes.

If you're doing omni wardloop, lol probably expect to spend significantly more

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 13, 2022

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

tl:dr; eat poo poo, poors

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Oh yeah, the video kinda skipped over flask duration/charge generation, which is really really important because anything less than 100% uptime on Olroth's = insta-gibbing yourself. Like the video said, if one thing is slightly off the build flat out doesn't work.

Link to the build guide forum post

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
yeah it's a weird build to showcase on that level. it's a cool concept and the damage is insane, but the stuff it uses is way too niche for the price to not be ridiculously expensive, especially now that you can't just throw a dozen divines at the jewels and flask to get the needed values.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

FZeroRacer posted:

I don't think I've felt like I've been in a situation this league where I encountered an enemy that could kill me before I could react that was completely out of my control. The closest I can think of where that might be an issue is red beasts, but I've always treated red beasts as dangerous so I play cautiously when I see one show up on my map, so it doesn't really bother me that much if one shows up that I feel is too tough to handle.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
Are Wardloops those ice spear builds? I was looking last night at poe ninja for build ideas, and that was like 2nd most popular skl, but doesn't look like a cyclone variant.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Femur posted:

Are Wardloops those ice spear builds? I was looking last night at poe ninja for build ideas, and that was like 2nd most popular skl, but doesn't look like a cyclone variant.

some, but those are largely coc icespear. wardloop was unseating coc icespear last league as the definitive juicer build, but wardloop got hit hard with the divine change as it requires so many max roll items to work. coc, by contrast, you can get running decently on a 5-10 div budget (albeit it's not going to feel really good until significantly more). ironically the nerf to cwdt gem was insignificant to the build's damage output

e\/ wardloop is 100% on their radar and has been for quite a while. Ironically it's just the 2022 version of the old jousis heartbound loop cwdt builds. it's a stupid build to nerf because it already is mediocre for a lot of stuff and is probably the single most expensive build to get online currently in the game and it became probably 2-3x as expensive to build this league as it was last league.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 13, 2022

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

whypick1 posted:

They always highlighted builds that weren't in line with their vision, it was a death sentence because the build would die a few weeks/patch later.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

I wouldn't try to make wardloop with less than 60div and I'd probably want to have more like 100 div for it. Probably more, especially since ggg just hyped the build. EDIT: looking at this league's prices for wardloop stuff, probably more than 100 at minimum. there aren't really any cheap ways to get around having all the necessary parts

you also need i84 flask clusters that are 10 div each for the bases, if not vastly more. the To Dusts you need are 20/20 or 19/20 rolls (you need at least one of each), which is another ~20 div at current prices. all the ward gear requires max level bases with 92 or 100% base rolls and you're then probably spamming dense fossils and finishing with eldritch chaos until you get good enough suffixes.

If you're doing omni wardloop, lol probably expect to spend significantly more

All that poo poo is end-game++. You can easily get the build off the ground for less than 20 div if you were prepared to roll your own ward gear. This thread is great for starting out, it's what I used.

The biggest money savers are using two 17% To Dusts with the less duration skill nodes, and restricting yourself to 3 (or even 2) flasks initially to make sure your charge generation is ok.

Edit: I just realised that thread is the actual BotW thread. There's various others around also.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
those start at 4div rn, olroths is 8div for 42%, you might save some money by using an offmeta set of skills to get a less expensive skin of the lords, but even that's probably still a pile of div rn. the cheapo beginner flask clusters start at 2-3 div and running just 2 flasks is just going to feel like poo poo

i suspect the prices are getting temporarily shot to the moon because the build just got highlighted tho, the stuff I'm talking about above isn't really endgame++ so much as just the standard stuff for people fleshing out the build. low budget wardloop feels paper thin.

e: also the bases to craft your own gear are still like 1 div a slot and you're going to be using at least a couple div of dense fossils and resonators at a minimum, plus a pile of perfect fossils.

The real point here is this: crafting ward loop gear is a loving gold mine. I made probably 2/3 of my mageblood last league making wardloop gear.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 13, 2022

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

totalnewbie posted:

This is their intention.

No I would really rather just chill and blast maps, or, you know, if I want to opt in to higher difficulty for more rewards, I can choose to do that through the many systems that already exist.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004

those start at 4div rn, olroths is 8div for 42%, you might save some money by using an offmeta set of skills to get a less expensive skin of the lords, but even that's probably still a pile of div rn. the cheapo beginner flask clusters start at 2-3 div and running just 2 flasks is just going to feel like poo poo

i suspect the prices are getting temporarily shot to the moon because the build just got highlighted tho, the stuff I'm talking about above isn't really endgame++ so much as just the standard stuff for people fleshing out the build. low budget wardloop feels paper thin.

Thank you for your advice. I will decide between a coc(rites or icespear) of mathil's build then, the hype might push price too high for my cheapass.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

interrodactyl posted:

No I would really rather just chill and blast maps, or, you know, if I want to opt in to higher difficulty for more rewards, I can choose to do that through the many systems that already exist.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Femur posted:

Thank you for your advice. I will decide between a coc(rites or icespear) of mathil's build then, the hype might push price too high for my cheapass.

just a guess, but if you do want to try wardloop later, starter gear will likely be firesale prices in ~2 weeks

also all three of those look like very solid choices. Also I don't mean to overly discourage anyone from playing wardloop, poo poo is popular for a reason, it's just $$$ at every step and it's going to feel like a slog if you aren't comfortable making lots of currency already.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I swear, half the time I see that mana syphoner aura circle the mob also has something that boosts its dot to thousands of damage per second.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Black Pants posted:

I swear, half the time I see that mana syphoner aura circle the mob also has something that boosts its dot to thousands of damage per second.

my favorite is magma barrier/lightning mirage + temp bubble

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

interrodactyl posted:

blast lower tier white maps if your build cant survive or just you know skip the mob

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

interrodactyl posted:

You can actually just chill and blast maps because AN mods aren't actually that dangerous and people who complain about them are just bad :colbert:

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

pork never goes bad posted:

poe.ninja shows inquisitor as the most popular ascendancy in sentinel league, too. Unless you meant to compare two other leagues.

My bad thought it was very low last league, must of been the league before sentinel when they got lightsaber builds and the popularity of RF popped off, though to be fair sentinel had AN rares too.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Oct 13, 2022

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

you aren't wrong on why inquisitor is sought after though

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

totalnewbie posted:

This is their intention.

not really because most regular enemies don't do anything interesting other than run at you and attack. and 90% of archnemesis modifiers are not very fun to engage with or function as just stat increases.

there's nothing really fun about them getting 2000% more eHP or dealing high damage. bosses at least have patterns, arenas. different mechanics you want to avoid or things to solve. only a few archnemesis mods get close but that exposes how bad the system is because sometimes the way you're supposed to play around the archnemesis modifier goes against how the mob itself is designed.

this is why as usual the best solution to deal with archnemesis modifiers is to just delete them before they do anything dangerous. so lower performing builds are punished while the top end doesn't have to deal with these problems as much.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

My bad thought it was very low last league, must of been the league before sentinel when they got lightsaber builds and the popularity of RF popped off, though to be fair sentinel had AN rares too.

AN league was when Pohx and Zizaran introduced RF to the world in a big way, then in Sentinel it really took off even more. Ironically, RF doesn't use the res pen node that prompted this line of discussion.

Edit - which is to say, Inquisitor's tree position and sustain seem to be the biggest drivers of popularity.

pork never goes bad fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Oct 13, 2022

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I'm looking at it as the same way as when elementalist was the hot poo poo cause of their ailment immune with golems and how they could spec into a lot of fun things easily

Oh god inquisitor is going to get gutted isn't he

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
I feel like the enjoyment of the game in general comes from killing a lot of monsters rather than a few tough monsters (eg everyone in the world homer drools at herald of ice clearing a million guys at once). Enjoyment from killing tough monsters come from bosses. A monster thats just a big yellow version of a guy isnt a boss and isnt very satisfying, and probably lessens your enjoyment because it makes you feel like youre failing to kill a normal guy

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

boredsatellite posted:

I'm looking at it as the same way as when elementalist was the hot poo poo cause of their ailment immune with golems and how they could spec into a lot of fun things easily

Oh god inquisitor is going to get gutted isn't he

inquisitor and elementalist have been unchanged for a while and are clearly in a good spot. I'd be exceedingly surprised if they get hit. I expect GGG to keep reworking the various poo poo-tier ascendancies rather than nerfing ones that have a compelling reason to pick them.

totalnewbie posted:

You can actually just chill and blast maps because AN mods aren't actually that dangerous and people who complain about them are just bad :colbert:

yeah at this point it's just this. Play better builds and/or just be better/fit some pen in your build. I don't notice AN being any stronger than previous rare combinations and, if anything, AN are significantly less rippy than the old system. If there's one or two mods your build can't handle, you can just run by them until you eventually gear up to the point of outscaling AN mods, which absolutely happens around actually pretty marginal amounts of dps.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Oct 13, 2022

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

dangerdoom volvo posted:

I feel like the enjoyment of the game in general comes from killing a lot of monsters rather than a few tough monsters (eg everyone in the world homer drools at herald of ice clearing a million guys at once). Enjoyment from killing tough monsters come from bosses. A monster thats just a big yellow version of a guy isnt a boss and isnt very satisfying, and probably lessens your enjoyment because it makes you feel like youre failing to kill a normal guy

I like having regular enemies that are tougher than average, it breaks up the monotony of running maps over and over again. If rares and magic monsters are supposed to just fall over without much fanfare and pose zero threat to the player regardless of build choices then I'd rather they not be in the game because at that point they add nothing to the game.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm gonna be honest I feel no enjoyment killing random enemies. I enjoy seeing my build magically start working and after that I can either quit at around level 75-80 because I reached my goal and peaked, or I have a build that can do bosses, and that is the part that I enjoy so I'll get to 90 or so to optimize it a bit. My happiest moment playing this game was the realization I could self-sustain just bosses with currency generated from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!
my problem w the end game rare monsters in this game is that, they are 0 threat. except when theyre not. but it happens once every 10 maps with no warning and its impossible to tell that one is a threat, because if it is it will appear on screen and instagib me. that isnt an interactive or fun mechanic to me. probably out of all the arpgs i play, its absoultely the worst at communicating danger imo.