Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!
There is no realization for me more concrete than the $1600 graphics card CPU bottlenecks you on even the best modern cpus for gaming at any resolution where your display device doesn't also cost $1600+.

You aren't gonna buy a 4k monitor right now unless you already have 4090 money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Inept posted:

That's the custom keyboard dorks. $1600 GPU? try $1600 keyboard

but it's so ergonomic

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I have the Alienware AW3420DW 3440x1440, so I do need something a little beefy. Not quite 4k but ultrawides need power.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah I’m running the same and with DLSS on quality I don’t average above 60 on a maxed Cyberpunk (pre-RT upgrade!) benchmark loop with a hot and fresh 4090.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Tried out the new driver. I got some uplift, but not quite what Nvidia advertised. Still, not gonna complain about free extra performance.

(did 3 runs each, didn't count the first run in the average. 3060ti, 1440p.)

So RT saw the biggest jump. Valhalla not quite reaching Nvidia's numbers (20+%) might be a CPU problem, not sure. CPU load wasn't that heavy, and turning down graphics settings increases av fps.

I also tested Wonderlands and BL3, but the changes where within margin of error. Nvidia said up to 8% increase (at 1080p, but you'd still expect some change at 1440p). :shrug: These are not CPU heavy games, so I'm not sure what's up.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Vintersorg posted:

I have the Alienware AW3420DW 3440x1440, so I do need something a little beefy. Not quite 4k but ultrawides need power.

I just grabbed the AW3423DW to be my daily driver, and my secondary monitor is a CX48. I feel like I'm in the more money than sense group that a 4090 makes sense for, but also I could have way more expensive hobbies like cars or cocaine.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Dilber posted:

I just grabbed the AW3423DW to be my daily driver, and my secondary monitor is a CX48. I feel like I'm in the more money than sense group that a 4090 makes sense for, but also I could have way more expensive hobbies like cars or cocaine.

Those new ones look so loving good - QD-oled is the future. But that's more for the monitor thread.

I admit, I was just flustered this morning - seeing $2500 for a video card just made my brain fizzle. I just hope they do continue to make the 3-series in good supply. I always have this nagging feeling that they'll just stop and force you to buy whatever the new poo poo is.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah I’m running the same and with DLSS on quality I don’t average above 60 on a maxed Cyberpunk (pre-RT upgrade!) benchmark loop with a hot and fresh 4090.

the cyberpunk RT upgrade is a bit of a wildcard because while it will have more going on, it will probably enable the new shader re-ordering on ada for an efficiency bump

ada has a bunch of new RT optimisations which need developer buy-in to leverage so we're not seeing its full potential yet, and won't for a while with the very high cost of entry stunting adoption

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-graphics-driver-quietly-adds-geforce-rtx-3070-ti-ga102-and-new-rtx-3060-series-support

seems there's a new 3070 Ti SKU using GA102 on the way too, in addition to the GDDR6X 3060 and 3060 Ti that have been rumoured

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I've got an S95b and 144hz 4k monitor so while a 4090 is undoubtedly pricey, it'll be nice just to set everything to the max for at least 2 years and not worry if the 4080 models are good enough or not.

At least AIB models are available for 1599$ for now, ampere had a lot of markups or manufacturers didn't bother with making the base cards.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

lih posted:

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-graphics-driver-quietly-adds-geforce-rtx-3070-ti-ga102-and-new-rtx-3060-series-support

seems there's a new 3070 Ti SKU using GA102 on the way too, in addition to the GDDR6X 3060 and 3060 Ti that have been rumoured

So should I be waiting for these rumored refreshes if I am in the market for a 3060Ti?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

Had a nice long GPU reset (I think—no error pop up, but it looked like it) with the latest production drivers and a 4090 Windforce. Good times, good times.

E: Linux doesn’t even boot with the 515 proprietary drivers, which will also be fun to remedy

When I've had this happen it's because of a kernel/driver mismatch. If you've skipped any kernel updates you could try updating that, otherwise you might have to wait for your distro to post unfucked drivers in their repo. You could also try rolling back to the previous driver that was in use - they usually don't get pulled from the repos immediately, depending on distro and where you're getting the driver.

I'm running the 515 driver without a problem on OpenSUSE on kernel 5.14.21 with a 3080 12GB.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Nemo2342 posted:

So should I be waiting for these rumored refreshes if I am in the market for a 3060Ti?

Absolutely not. The faster memory isn't going to make a meaningful difference.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CaptainSarcastic posted:

When I've had this happen it's because of a kernel/driver mismatch. If you've skipped any kernel updates you could try updating that, otherwise you might have to wait for your distro to post unfucked drivers in their repo. You could also try rolling back to the previous driver that was in use - they usually don't get pulled from the repos immediately, depending on distro and where you're getting the driver.

I'm running the 515 driver without a problem on OpenSUSE on kernel 5.14.21 with a 3080 12GB.

Yeah I was running 515 just fine against my 3090, but it puked when I first booted it on the 4090. I’m up to date as of noon, so I’ll wait and figure out how to monitor that without being able to boot into Linux comfortably.

The GPU reset was in Windows 10 with the new 525 drivers installed and after a reboot, to be clear.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Do the new drivers have any noticeable benefits on 20xx cards?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah I was running 515 just fine against my 3090, but it puked when I first booted it on the 4090. I’m up to date as of noon, so I’ll wait and figure out how to monitor that without being able to boot into Linux comfortably.

The GPU reset was in Windows 10 with the new 525 drivers installed and after a reboot, to be clear.

This is kind of throwing poo poo against the wall, but is your BIOS up to date? Is rebar turned on? Is the card set to PCIe 3.0 or 4.0 or auto?

It might be totally moot and just teething problems with new hardware, but if you wanted to muck around further those are things I'd look at.

When I first installed this 3080 it didn't get recognized properly and I had to manually set it to PCIe 3.0 to get it to work. After that I had to update the BIOS to accommodate a 5800X3D, and with the newer BIOS the card is detected and runs properly without intervention.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CaptainSarcastic posted:

This is kind of throwing poo poo against the wall, but is your BIOS up to date? Is rebar turned on? Is the card set to PCIe 3.0 or 4.0 or auto?

My motherboard BIOS is up to date as of a few weeks ago, yeah. Rebar is on, and I’ll check the PCI setting after dinner. Thanks for taking the time!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

My motherboard BIOS is up to date as of a few weeks ago, yeah. Rebar is on, and I’ll check the PCI setting after dinner. Thanks for taking the time!

No problem. Someone in this thread reminded me about the PCIe thing when I initially thought I'd gotten a faulty 3080, and saved me a lot of headaches.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Why is this happening, surely this is a mistake?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

jokes posted:

Why would it be?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Weren't these things like $1500 a few days ago?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

jokes posted:

Well let me tell you about the new thing that’s $1500!

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
the 3090ti FE is like 1099$ so it's a decent retail price for a 90ti

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

jokes posted:

it's only slightly faster than the 4080 12GB (by nvidias numbers) for $100 more and nearly double the TDP

it has 24GB VRAM going for it but that's a niche benefit

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

jokes posted:

It's also Prime Day sales.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
3090 Tis have been under $1500 for months, they just got down to ~$1000 last month though & even at that price it's still about the worst value around

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I walked past the GPU aisle at Amazon Prime Day and went to the Headphone Hut to get some HD 660 S, I mean poo poo I haven't had a new pair of Senns in more than a decade I'll see what they're up to. A big reason I am not getting a 4090 or really worried about it even though I do game at 4K is that I can't justify apportioning that much discretionary budget away when there are still a lot of guitar pedals and music gear I haven't tried :mad:

Hopefully there's either a dynamite refresh later on, or the 5 series is awesome (or AMD steps up, I'm always rooting for them to but it just seems like GPUs aren't the main priority over there).

Agreed fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 13, 2022

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Agreed posted:

I walked past the GPU aisle at Amazon Prime Day and went to the Headphone Hut to get some HD 660 S, I mean poo poo I haven't had a new pair of Senns in more than a decade I'll see what they're up to. A big reason I am not getting a 4090 or really worried about it even though I do game at 4K is that I can't justify apportioning that much discretionary budget away when there are still a lot of guitar pedals and music gear I haven't tried :mad:

Hopefully there's either a dynamite refresh later on, or the 5 series is awesome (or AMD steps up, I'm always rooting for them to but it just seems like GPUs aren't the main priority over there).

Man, even you are afflicted with a bit of 4090 FOMO

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Thinking a bit after watching some reviews, kinda wondering if the 4090 really that good a future-proof purchase if it lacks the ability to actually display the 140+ framerates it seems to be regularly getting in 4K benchmarks

Like the 7000X3D/Raptor Lake chips will invariably push these 4K framerates even higher in some games but it won't even matter unless they do a refresh with an updated DP port

Granted, there currently is no such thing as a 4K@240hz monitor but I figure that's only going to be a matter of time lol

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 13, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

jokes posted:

The 3090 was a mistake

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

jokes posted:

It's Prime Day 2, but also that's not an amazing deal since you can get the FE models for $1099 at Best Buy. Or a 3090 non-Ti for like, $850 new now.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Animal posted:

I dunno, man, I haven't paid that much for any GPU setup ever. Back when SLI was the thing I built with the fastest single GPU I could get typically because I wanted high performance but dual GPU had already proved to be bullshit for me when I tried it, incompatibility issues & just not the smooth n' straightforward experience I wanted. I am glad that these days you don't have to go dual GPU to get radical-tier performance, but I'm happy with how the 3080 12GB is performing for me at half the price for now and mainly looking forward to when a similar expenditure can meaningfully improve on it. I'm still just pushing 60 FPS, and very willing to use upscaling.

The industry desperately needs a new title or two to push the graphical envelope; I'm seeing Cyberpunk being used everywhere to promote Ada cards, deja vu.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Cross-Section posted:

Granted, there currently is no such thing as a 4K@240hz monitor but I figure that's only going to be a matter of time lol

there's already a 4k240 monitor on the market, the samsung neo g8, but it doesn't have DP2.0

it accepts 4k240 over DP1.4 using DSC, so YMMV. compression is gross in principle but i haven't really seen any complaints about DSC in practice, apparently it's much less intrusive than chroma subsampling.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Agreed posted:

I dunno, man, I haven't paid that much for any GPU setup ever. Back when SLI was the thing I built with the fastest single GPU I could get typically because I wanted high performance but dual GPU had already proved to be bullshit for me when I tried it, incompatibility issues & just not the smooth n' straightforward experience I wanted. I am glad that these days you don't have to go dual GPU to get radical-tier performance, but I'm happy with how the 3080 12GB is performing for me at half the price for now and mainly looking forward to when a similar expenditure can meaningfully improve on it. I'm still just pushing 60 FPS, and very willing to use upscaling.

The industry desperately needs a new title or two to push the graphical envelope; I'm seeing Cyberpunk being used everywhere to promote Ada cards, deja vu.

The 4090 is amazing. I just finished the latest Digital Foundry DLSS3 video and it made me waver for a moment. It’s only natural to want it. But I’m gonna stick to my 3080 until this killer app that you so desire arrives.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Cross-Section posted:

Thinking a bit after watching some reviews, kinda wondering if the 4090 really that good a future-proof purchase if it lacks the ability to actually display the 140+ framerates it seems to be regularly getting in 4K benchmarks

Like the 7000X3D/Raptor Lake chips will invariably push these 4K framerates even higher in some games but it won't even matter unless they do a refresh with an updated DP port

I'm expecting the performance boosts to get soaked up by raytracing and other more expensive graphics options. As it stands flight sim, while heavily CPU bound, still has a lot of room for better GPU performance. Especially when the 7000 series vcache parts come out, hoping those help push down the mainthread render times. I think the frame generation stuff is a pretty stupid gimmick IMO but I'm at least glad to see the raw increase in raster performance. There's always VR also, the G2 absolutely tanks in performance even with my 3090

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Animal posted:

Some of you need to unbookmark this thread when you buy a graphics card. :cheeky:

It can't be good for your wallet. I stay the hell away from this thread and the monitor thread for at least a couple of years after buying one.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Cross-Section posted:

Ahem. https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/gaming/32-odyssey-neo-g8-4k-uhd-240hz-1ms-curved-gaming-monitor-ls32bg852nnxgo/

The 4090 (and older cards) can output this resolution and refresh rate by using DSC.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

repiv posted:

there's already a 4k240 monitor on the market, the samsung neo g8, but it doesn't have DP2.0

it accepts 4k240 over DP1.4 using DSC, so YMMV. compression is gross in principle but i haven't really seen any complaints about DSC in practice, apparently it's much less intrusive than chroma subsampling.

I've been using DSC monitors side-by-side with non-DSC monitors for a couple years now and I've yet to notice a single instance of compression artifacts or image-quality degradation. Not saying it can't happen, but if it does then it's so minimal and rare that it doesn't matter. DSC is described as a "visually lossless" algorithm and at this point, I fully buy it.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

repiv posted:

Well, I had not heard of DSC before. Sounds pretty neat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i swear DP2.0 is a cursed spec, the standard itself was delayed from early 2017 to 2019 and products were originally projected to ship in late 2020 and still haven't (RDNA3 is rumoured to have it though)

did they just fly too close to the sun with the bandwidth target they set for themselves and realise too late it's a nightmare to implement, the fastest DP2.0 mode is nearly twice as fast as HDMI2.1

repiv fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 13, 2022