Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
code geass is watching a train derail but the train was carrying party streamers and fireworks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Death Note was complete garbage in 2008 and I'm sick of pretending otherwise

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
real talk I dunno how anyone can dislike a series where the main character gets given the power to make people do anything, and the first thing he does is make a bunch of fascist soldiers shoot themselves. This is episode 1!

I'm not gonna pretend it's flawless (first half of season 2 dips in quality) but it's overall one of my favorite shows probably.

it's a disease that so many people think that making GBS threads on something that's popular means you have good taste.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Mirello posted:

real talk I dunno how anyone can dislike a series where the main character gets given the power to make people do anything, and the first thing he does is make a bunch of fascist soldiers shoot themselves. This is episode 1!

I'm not gonna pretend it's flawless (first half of season 2 dips in quality) but it's overall one of my favorite shows probably.

it's a disease that so many people think that making GBS threads on something that's popular means you have good taste.

the main character is a policeman's kid and he gets started by killing criminals in prison

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Code Geass kicks rear end.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
https://twitter.com/cl3zt/status/1579871007862853635

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Casey Finnigan posted:

the main character is a policeman's kid and he gets started by killing criminals in prison

I was talking about code geass, dumbass. also light is obviously the "bad guy" of death note. if you root for him over L, check yourself into a mental institution.

I mean death note isn't perfect as well. everything after misa gets introduced is pretty trash, and I've never even watched after the time skip, but to pretend that there's no value in it is just odd.

also just watched chainsaw man and it was loving amazing. I really hope that they dont just make it an "action show" I feel like the manga is 30-40% comedy, and I'm curious how that'll be prioritized.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
oh idk I never watched code Geass cause people said "code gay rear end" and I figured poo poo they might be right

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Casey Finnigan posted:

oh idk I never watched code Geass cause people said "code gay rear end" and I figured poo poo they might be right

It's pretty fun. It's also dumb as poo poo but in the entertaining kind of way. If you're not hooked by the end of the first episode don't bother with the rest

The whole "the protagonist is an anti-hero who uses absolutely everything at his disposal to overthrow a tyrant" vs "his childhood best friend is an overpowered shonen protagonist convinced that he can simply change the empire from within by working for it" dynamic was great

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

code geass sucks rear end and i looked forward to watching it every week

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

i tried to watch code geass but the art style was weird idk

im pretty sure the GOATed gurren lagann, and Gundam 00 came out not that long after and never thought about code geass again until SRW30

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

lelouche is fun to watch bena total bastard it's true

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

gun x sword is good too

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

code geass is insanely stupid and that’s why it’s great.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Code Geass? Pizza Hut!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

Glad to know somebody else out there thinks the conference room from Attack of the Killer Tomatoes is an iconic scene.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Code Geass is icnredibly dumb but it has a great soundtrack so who can tell if it's good or bad?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3uPzA2e7n8

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

They've tried to build a second Geass for more than a decade an it never worked at all.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Death note is big on making huge leaps in logic and pretending it was correct the whole time.

Gaeas was good until he can't control his gaeas and then I'm over it

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
https://twitter.com/dandock/status/1579956396053127168?s=20&t=-NHbgjSaG4ZdhpkVapjDEQ

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Casey Finnigan posted:

it's funny that L pinpoints exactly where Light is based off like two pieces of information four seconds into the series. and then it takes him a billion episodes to utterly fail to catch him

yeah the show was bad. all the death note fans could just have spent their time rewatching trigun like I was doing

L knew that light was kira for quite a bit but wanted to beat him columbo style. That's why he didn't just lock light up until light himself suggested it(because he knew L was about to get his rear end).

Near meanwhile decided he'd rather not end up dead like L so he cheated with the death note to make sure the final confrontation went down in his favor.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Stairmaster posted:

L knew that light was kira for quite a bit but wanted to beat him columbo style. That's why he didn't just lock light up until light himself suggested it(because he knew L was about to get his rear end).

Near meanwhile decided he'd rather not end up dead like L so he cheated with the death note to make sure the final confrontation went down in his favor.

I mean the problem is that the author just artificially kept it going by giving light all these weird outs. he doesnt get shinigami eyes, but it doesn't matter because misa does for him! giving it away loses your memories of it but getting it back returns them. stupid poo poo like that is when the show went down hill.

lelouche losing control was excellent lol, the entire show is excellent, other than the first half of season 2. but even rollo (worst character in the show imo) redeems himself

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

January 6 Survivor posted:

code geass is both cringe and based at the same time though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ybY00x49B4

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
e: oops cant read

Homeless Friend has issued a correction as of 07:31 on Oct 12, 2022

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
what was that other one from that era. eureka seven. surfboarding mechs was bad rear end.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
we never got the sequel to balsa, absolutely loving unacceptable

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Kit Walker posted:

First episode of Chainsaw Man is up and it owns

this

also if you weren't watching cowboy bebop on adult swim and desperately looking for the same high in the early 00s by watching stuff like death note what were you doing

Also all this code geass talk makes me think I should watch it again

wolfs has issued a correction as of 08:49 on Oct 12, 2022

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I’ll take a potato chip…

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
What.... a bunch of chapters of Hunter x Hunter just dropped on Viz?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

What.... a bunch of chapters of Hunter x Hunter just dropped on Viz?

it's all on the shonen jump app now presumably in preparation for the hiatus ending later this month

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

wolfs posted:

this

also if you weren't watching cowboy bebop on adult swim and desperately looking for the same high in the early 00s by watching stuff like death note what were you doing

Also all this code geass talk makes me think I should watch it again

Death Note is so much worse than Cowboy Bebop

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

KomradeX posted:

Death Note is so much worse than Cowboy Bebop

That's the futility of chasing the dragon, baby

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Homeless Friend posted:

what was that other one from that era. eureka seven. surfboarding mechs was bad rear end.

Eureka Seven is legit amazing and all the sequels and spin-offs are bad to dogshit.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Augus posted:

he is supposed to be awful, that’s the point. hth
the trick is you need to make the manipulative rear end in a top hat charismatic or at least likable. he just kills thousands in cold blood, treats everyone else like poo poo, and acts like a normal dickhead kid in his regular life

MonsieurChoc posted:

Eureka Seven is legit amazing and all the sequels and spin-offs are bad to dogshit.
at least Hi-Evo 2 was bad in a weird "we're trying to do something subversive here" way, even if it doesn't fully land

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Srice posted:

it's all on the shonen jump app now presumably in preparation for the hiatus ending later this month

It's coming back?
Hell x Yeah x Lets Go

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Casey Finnigan posted:

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
code gayass was actually very good, especially s1. please do not judge it on its CLAMP character design.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/USCPSC/status/1580215261164019714?s=20&t=Hi40AZ3pBYo2W1CQQIt-9g

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

TenementFunster posted:

the trick is you need to make the manipulative rear end in a top hat charismatic or at least likable. he just kills thousands in cold blood, treats everyone else like poo poo, and acts like a normal dickhead kid in his regular life

I mean I find him an unlikable douchebag but the fact is that there are many many people who watch death note and think he's the good guy and he's doing the right thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Mirello posted:

I mean I find him an unlikable douchebag but the fact is that there are many many people who watch death note and think he's the good guy and he's doing the right thing.

who did more harm to the world and peoples lives. the american penal system and imperial prowess? or light yagami's arbitrary justice.

checkmate