Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

FizFashizzle posted:

I hope his inevitable TJ season doesn’t count in this.

It's a complete steal even if he misses a season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

It is backloaded for some reason with like $20m per the last three seasons...

That's pretty normal. Yeah they're buying out his rookie and arb years but they still usually scale them up in a similar manner.

Also this isn't the nfl so unless there are team options anywhere in there (and I cannot imagine any player would agree to this kind of contract if there were) all those years are fully guaranteed.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Hirez posted:

and at least they didn't get beat by their own zamboni driver

They did lose to their former Cy Young award winner and one of the key relievers that got blown up was former Mariner Anthony Bass, though.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

That's pretty normal. Yeah they're buying out his rookie and arb years but they still usually scale them up in a similar manner.

Also this isn't the nfl so unless there are team options anywhere in there (and I cannot imagine any player would agree to this kind of contract if there were) all those years are fully guaranteed.
Team option for a seventh year at the same rate of $22m as the last two years vs a $5m buyout.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/martinonyc/status/1579533014593593346

I don't get this. Eppler isn't a good GM.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Team goes from 77 wins to 101. The GM sucks and is bad at his job.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Just pretend I posted that video from Mets Twitter in May where the commentator was talking about the NL East being over and not even thinking about the Braves anymore.

What I mean to say is that the Mets are the Hillary Clintons of baseball.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
That was quick. I have no idea who this is though.

https://twitter.com/SFGiants/status/1579653857038471168

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

LeeMajors posted:

Just pretend I posted that video from Mets Twitter in May where the commentator was talking about the NL East being over and not even thinking about the Braves anymore.

What I mean to say is that the Mets are the Hillary Clintons of baseball.

Sal Licata looks EXACTLY like my cousin who is also a Mets fan on Long Island so it's spooky to see his stupid takes.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

SI has an excerpt of the Joe Maddon book that I will definitely get from the library and read so I can post about it about the Mohawk Incident and how Old Man Joe has had enough of those POINTY HEADS in the front office.
https://www.si.com/mlb/2022/10/06/joe-maddon-tom-verducci-book-excerpt

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

Ammat The Ankh posted:

He kinda looks like Butt-Head.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
https://twitter.com/DanHayesMLB/status/1579631914931351552
Twins decide to roll it back, except for the team trainer.

They were apparently (no joke) stunned to discover that Tyler Mahle, thrice DL'd for shoulder fatigue this season, wasn't doing shoulder strengthen exercises.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Seems weird to leave a team in the middle of a playoff run, no?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/CodifyBaseball/status/1575652104307212289

lol most teams had a guy who threw more 97+ MPH pitches for a strike in one outing than the Cubs threw combined all season. Not great!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Wait... 12? Clearly I'm spoiled and my perspective is skewed since the Yankees like trippled up most of the league but how is that even possible? Do the Cubs just have one reliever who throws hard who got traded? Was it Effros?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
https://twitter.com/ThomasHall85/status/1579898703368060928?s=20&t=3QMDUfjhmvWpGV700wUIYg

Sounds like another rotation spot opened up. Unfortunate to lose Stripling but should be survivable easily enough.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

STAC Goat posted:

Wait... 12? Clearly I'm spoiled and my perspective is skewed since the Yankees like trippled up most of the league but how is that even possible? Do the Cubs just have one reliever who throws hard who got traded? Was it Effros?

Effross can't throw that hard, and neither could anybody in our pen this year, really. Alzolay and Wesneski can dial it up to 96-97 if they absolutely max out, which isn't often (also both didn't show up until the last month of the season). Stroman, Steele, Keegan, Smyly, Assad, and Sampson all average in the low 90's, Miley in the high 80's. ManRod was throwing triple digits last year but his velo was way down this season. Cubs just don't have a lot of velo at the MLB level right now, although based on the recent drafts they seem to be trying to work towards fixing that.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Passan with the nuclear option

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1579925482514313216?t=CG9IHTytg_bdUxc8FX5tQg&s=19

(whole exchange is a tremendous display of Jeff stuffing a dork in a locker)

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Whoops not GDT

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Paracaidas posted:

https://twitter.com/DanHayesMLB/status/1579631914931351552
Twins decide to roll it back, except for the team trainer.

They were apparently (no joke) stunned to discover that Tyler Mahle, thrice DL'd for shoulder fatigue this season, wasn't doing shoulder strengthen exercises.

What the gently caress?!

No wonder we've been having so many loving injuries! What the hell was this guy even doing?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The Angels staffer who gave drugs to Tyler Skaggs got 22 years

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

LobsterMobster posted:

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1579925482514313216?t=CG9IHTytg_bdUxc8FX5tQg&s=19

roll with a pig and you just get dirty. Passan looks stupid here

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
lol he deleted it

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

LobsterMobster posted:

deleted

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/PatrickKFlowers/status/1579948614289612801

There's quite a bit to unpack in this one, but Joe specifically talks about his exit from Chicago a lot more than I think he ever has before, and lol it's pretty much exactly what I expected:

quote:

According to Maddon, his downfall in Chicago started after the 2018 loss to the Colorado Rockies in the National League Wild Card Game.

“We had, what was it, 2018? We lose to the Rockies in a playoff and a Wild Card game,” Maddon said. “After this really, absolutely insane schedule at the end of the year, and then 2019, even that last month, we were not in bad shape and then everybody got hurt going down the stretch drive. There’s were so many good things happening there, in every department of that organization. So, I really wish that we had been able to stay together a little bit longer. But it just seems after we lost in 2018, things changed. There were player meetings at the end of the year, and I was called back in and made aware that some of the things I was doing, the players were not liking as much, or even the front office wasn’t liking as much. And I had to change and understand the Millennial player better. So, it kind of caught me off guard ’cause I had not really seen it that way.”

“But also, I thought OK maybe I am wrong here, because I want to do this longer and I like these guys a lot. I like being here, so I made an attempt to make some adjustments, but we got into 2019. Even in Spring Training, I do something called ‘the bulls.’ I was to pick the lead bulls, the most influential guys on the team, to create team policy. But then all of the sudden, that had to be done through a vote among that players, and that wasn’t my idea.”

By Spring Training of 2019, Maddon had lost much of his say over the way that the team operated, something he believes he should have stood his ground on more in hindsight.

“In season I had different methods. I don’t like hitting a lot on the field for a day game after a night game. And you know, of course we played a lot of day games, so my concern was always keeping the guys fresh. But a lot of that method was taken away from me. Even bus times on that road, and how early they wanted guys at the ballpark. My whole program. The things that I’ve done were kind of blown up, and then, by the middle of the season, I realized maybe I wasn’t wrong. Maybe, you know, the stuff that I had been doing, I should have stood for more firmly than I did.”

Emphasis mine, literally "Am I out of touch? No, it's the children who are wrong."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It can be a misinterpretation but I kinda read him as pushing up against organizational mandates more than the players. I dunno. It’s kind of phrased in a passive voice kind of way. “There was a players meeting and then I was informed there was a problem.” So is he just trying to avoid saying players revolted or is he saying the front office was being a third party disrupter? But that last quote seems to be talking specifically about organizational scheduling and practice stuff. But of course it’s all one side of the story.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

STAC Goat posted:

It can be a misinterpretation but I kinda read him as pushing up against organizational mandates more than the players. I dunno. It’s kind of phrased in a passive voice kind of way. “There was a players meeting and then I was informed there was a problem.” So is he just trying to avoid saying players revolted or is he saying the front office was being a third party disrupter? But that last quote seems to be talking specifically about organizational scheduling and practice stuff. But of course it’s all one side of the story.

He talks about it more in the parts of the interview regarding his exit from the Angels, but essentially it sounds like Joe's view of FO's and analytics is that they serve a purpose, but shouldn't have direct influence or say in lineup construction or on-field decisions. He wants the FO guys to crunch the numbers and identify the best talent to get for the roster in the offseason, and provide scouting reports to coaches and managers, but for the coaches and managers to be the ones to decide if and how to convey that information to the players or action it on the field. He specifically talks negatively about how the Angels FO would give him a list of pitchers who should be available on any given day, or even calling him in the dugout mid-game to tell him what bullpen guy to start warming up. "I want baseball guys making baseball decisions and front office guys making front office decisions" in other words, basically the total opposite of how the "modern" FO works and expects to wield power.

And in a sense I do get it: if the FO gets to decide who's on the roster and who the starting lineup is and who is available out of the pen, what the hell is the manager even there for other than to massage the clubhouse? But that's just how baseball is trending, and if Joe's stated stance that he's only willing to come back to managing if he gets full control over lineups and in-game decisions then I think he's managed his last team, for better or worse.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Sydin posted:

And in a sense I do get it: if the FO gets to decide who's on the roster and who the starting lineup is and who is available out of the pen, what the hell is the manager even there for other than to massage the clubhouse? But that's just how baseball is trending, and if Joe's stated stance that he's only willing to come back to managing if he gets full control over lineups and in-game decisions then I think he's managed his last team, for better or worse.

Bud Black better sleep with one eye open, that's sounding very Rockies.

Not to go too old-timer but in one of Bill Veeck's books he wrote about how you could theoretically get a bench coach, or I guess in the modern analogy an analytics dept, to map out all the X's and O's and game plan and get by with a the equivalent a human resources manager (This is the 60's, not the soulless ghouls in your companies HR dept now) in the manager's seat who could literally manage the various personalities on the team and handle the inevitable ups and downs of a season. MLB finally came to the same conclusion 50 years later and Maddon's press tour is sounding like an angry old doctor checking your four humors complaining about all this newfangled germ theory bullshit. It sucks for him to be in the middle of that generational change, but history is littered with gurus that fall by the wayside as information takes over.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

ironicat barfing ironicats

https://twitter.com/ActionNetworkHQ/status/1579830426847178752?s=20&t=B3NlNXncicl5pBj-jUWn7g

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

lol ya. That's like nuclear meltdown levels of irony.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
good, because gently caress Pete Rose

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Hand Knit posted:

https://twitter.com/ThomasHall85/status/1579898703368060928?s=20&t=3QMDUfjhmvWpGV700wUIYg

Sounds like another rotation spot opened up. Unfortunate to lose Stripling but should be survivable easily enough.

Because the Blue Jays already have such a wealth of superb pitching at their disposal?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Hirez posted:

good, because gently caress Pete Rose

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Hand Knit posted:

Huh? He's 32 years old and just had his first year that wasn't absolute poo poo in like 5 years with like a 2.7WAR and less than 7.5 k9? Someone is gonna give that guy a big contract?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

He's also going to get 15-20 million a year and the Jays are at 180 million already and have other needs.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

lol if you look at some of the garbage that got 15-20 AAV last offseason maybe that isn't that crazy but if you're the one paying him that it's not likely to work out.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ya i wouldn't want to do that. We're already stuck with Kikuchi and Ryu. If they add a starter they're going to trade Kirk or Moreno for one

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

If they add a starter they're going to trade Kirk or Moreno for one

ya it's this

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Ya i wouldn't want to do that. We're already stuck with Kikuchi and Ryu. If they add a starter they're going to trade Kirk or Moreno for one

I guess they can plan to have Ryu, Kikuchi and White rotate through the fifth starter spot at least to start the season. Maybe one of them even sticks. But yeah a catcher trade is likely coming in some form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
I thought it was incredibly unlikely Ryu even pitches next year?