Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/matttomic/status/1394498097254965249

mentholmoose posted:

Alright, I wrote a whole lot of words on the Phillies and figured a separate thread would be good for armchair GM'ing and roster predictions and such, rather than posting like 2000 words here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4017143

https://twitter.com/Angels/status/1577724974533468160

https://twitter.com/joeyschneider95/status/1577134526928932865

https://i.imgur.com/MQIZLrW.mp4

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
For the first time in their 140-year history, the Giants have finished at .500 exactly.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Now that it's in the books, here's some final Ohtani numbers:

https://twitter.com/bmags94/status/1577799939601862656

I said he might be the best player in the world last offseason even with Mike Trout on his team but wasn't entirely convinced. Since he not only did it again but better, yeah I'm convinced now. Sucks he won't get an MVP for it this year.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

There's a lot of little and big things I don't like about the Angels, but the Nevin hire is breaking my brain. This is blatant punting and really hard to spin as anything other than wasting another year of Trout and Ohtani.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
For the love of god please let a contender (not based in LA or NY) grab Ohtani before he wastes his entire career in Anaheim.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

bees x1000 posted:

There's a lot of little and big things I don't like about the Angels, but the Nevin hire is breaking my brain. This is blatant punting and really hard to spin as anything other than wasting another year of Trout and Ohtani.

Hiring a lame duck guy does make some sense with ownership being in future limbo but I'd guess he has the locker room otherwise why not go with basically anyone else in house. Except Jeremy Reed, gently caress that guy

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Johnny Bravo posted:

Hiring a lame duck guy does make some sense with ownership being in future limbo but I'd guess he has the locker room otherwise why not go with basically anyone else in house. Except Jeremy Reed, gently caress that guy

That's a reasonable take but I'm still mad. The writing was on the wall at the trade deadline, if they were planning on punting 2023 they should've traded Ohtani. Better for Ohtani's legacy, the organization's future and the sport in general.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bees x1000 posted:

That's a reasonable take but I'm still mad. The writing was on the wall at the trade deadline, if they were planning on punting 2023 they should've traded Ohtani. Better for Ohtani's legacy, the organization's future and the sport in general.

Maybe they're hoping their team will get healthy in 2023 and compete. And if it doesn't they can still trade Ohtani.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bees x1000 posted:

They should simply trade them both to the Yankees for Tyler Wade.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

IcePhoenix posted:

Maybe they're hoping their team will get healthy in 2023 and compete. And if it doesn't they can still trade Ohtani.

'hope to do well' and 'hire Nevin' do not overlap in the venn diagram, IMO

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
How would you even trade Ohtani? Soto got maybe the most insane package back ever and Ohtani's even better. No one could match what he'd be worth.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

For the love of god please let a contender (not based in LA or NY) grab Ohtani before he wastes his entire career in Anaheim.
Shohei to Miami, baybeee

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Ammat The Ankh posted:

How would you even trade Ohtani? Soto got maybe the most insane package back ever and Ohtani's even better. No one could match what he'd be worth.

I don't think you do, you just clean someone out for as much as you possibly can. Although now that he's a one-year rental (and a $30MM one at that) I suspect that his offers would go down to *only* around Soto levels.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

:perfect:

The 'Tungsten Arm' O'Doyle Tweet is eternal

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

yep, i hate it.

it was Trout's 350th career home run too

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Pirates finish 62-100, exactly one win better than last season. At this rate we'll have a winning season in uhhh 16 years.

On the bright side: Cutch, Bell, Frazier, and J-Hay are all about to be free agents. Let's get the band back together babyyyyy

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Hahahahaha

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
https://twitter.com/JeffFletcherOCR/status/1577822149619744770

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Forgot this was in the new CBA:

quote:

Draft lottery odds for No. 1 pick

1. Nationals (55-107), 16.5 pct
2. A’s (60-102), 16.5
3. Pirates (62-100), 16.5
4. Reds (62-100), 13.25
5. Royals (65-97), 10.0
6. Tigers (66-96), 7.50
7. Rangers (68-94), 5.50
8. Rockies (68-94), 3.90
9. Marlins (69-93), 2.70
10. Angels (73-89), 1.80
11. D-backs (74-88), 1.40
12. Cubs (74-88), 1.10
13. Twins (78-84), 0.90
14. Red Sox (78-84), 0.76
15. White Sox (81-81), 0.62
16. Giants (81-81), 0.48
17. Orioles (83-79), 0.36
18. Brewers (86-76), 0.23

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Couldn't have picked a more perfect end to the season.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Forgot this was in the new CBA:

So it incorporates previous years' finishes as well?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

one thing i think the cubs should try to do this offseason is acquire really good baseball players, that would be cool.

also sign willson you cheap bastards!

in all seriousness, i am surprised at how much i got into this hopeless season, partly because i am old and boring now and partly because tickets were really cheap on the secondary market once school started again, but the little post-all star game surge was a lot of fun and there are some really fun young players on this team and they may be closer than we think. i also think that it made me on board with Ross, say what you will about the Cubs but they were basically a AAA team most of the season and were busting their asses.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I assume that players like Brenden Davis and Pete Crow-Armstrong will probably be starting for the Cubs by midseason at the latest

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Cubs should sign Trea Turner

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

The shameful sell-off rebuilding Cubs: 74-88
The "competing" Angels, who had Ohtani and Trout: 73-89

Popete posted:

Cubs should sign Trea Turner

:hmmyes:

FlamingLiberal posted:

I assume that players like Brenden Davis and Pete Crow-Armstrong will probably be starting for the Cubs by midseason at the latest

Mervis, Davis, and Canario are all serious threats to break camp with the Cubs in spring, although I suspect we may see some or all held back for super-two shenanigans to work on their defense. Wicks, Brown, Kilian are also SP's in AA/AAA who I could see showing up next year, and if PCA continues his meteoric rise (and/or the Cubs have him skip straight to AAA, which is not impossible) he could be up by midseason as well. Don't wanna count prospects before they roost and all that, but it looks like good eating for Cubs prospects next year.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Davis probably, although he was injured almost all season and so will probably start in AAA. PCA is still in Single A, so I'd be shocked if he makes it. The guys most likely to come up are Matt Mervis, a left-handed 1B who destroyed AA/AAA pitching all year and I think will have a shot since the Cubs have a gaping hole at 1B (RIP Frank). Alexander Canario might also get a shot next year. The interesting thing to be will seeing what the rotation looks like. The only givens next year are Stroman and Steele. Who knows what is going on with Kyle Hendricks who has not been very good for the past couple of years, but looks much better as 4/5 guy than as a 1/2, but if the Cubs move him I will be crushed. Weneski looked really good in 6 starts and will probably get a shot, but who knows how he'll hold up. Ideally they spend money on an actual starter instead of relying on reclamation guys/AAAA guys, like Adrian Sampson has been fine for the 2022 Cubs but I don't know if I need him making 15 starts if the team is actually trying to do anything.

The only definite starters in the field are Seiya and Nico. Probably Madrigal too, although with all of the talk about the Cubs going after a stud shortstop, it's hard to see where he plays since he can only play second. I'm guessing Wisdom sticks around at least as a bench guy. I'm guessing Happ will also start on the team and then go through the Trade Deadline Ovation Hell again, but he's a good player and his trade value is probably not going to be higher now. They will also need to bring in a catcher since their only internal option is constantly in traction and I will be annoyed if they roll with a 45 year old Gomes/PJ Higgins catcher rotation, that is not serious. Morel is definitely starting as a utility guy or center fielder until Davis comes up.

Two seasons of this poo poo is enough. The Cubs have a lot of holes to fill and it's time for them to shell out, if not for superstars, at least for some credible major league guys. We're still a couple years away from PCA/Alcantara and the big time 'spects to come up assuming they don't get injured or plateau.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Also the Cubs for the first time in like a loving decade and a half have shitloads of upper-minors pitching depth both for the pen and the rotation and they also drafted roughly a quintillion pitchers in the draft this year so it's entirely possible they trade some of their arms for an actual bonafide ace or AS-caliber bat.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Sydin posted:

Also the Cubs for the first time in like a loving decade and a half have shitloads of upper-minors pitching depth both for the pen and the rotation and they also drafted roughly a quintillion pitchers in the draft this year so it's entirely possible they trade some of their arms for an actual bonafide ace or AS-caliber bat.

it is funny that they are also eager to get rid of the two literal all-star bats in their lineup.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Link to the Japanese wikipedia article for "Still, the Angels lost:"

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%81%AA%E3%81%8A%E3%82%A8

quote:

"" E " is an abbreviation for "The Angels lost the game," and is a kind of Internet slang unique to Japanese media .

Overview
Ichiro , who transferred to the Seattle Mariners in the off-season of 2000, showed great success, such as breaking the MLB season hitting record, but the Mariners had a dark period ( 2001-2012) while Ichiro belonged. Because I was greeted, there were many developments such as "Ichiro is active, but the team loses". For this reason, the Japanese media began reporting on Ichiro's success and saying, "In addition, the Mariners lost the game" (abbreviated as "Naoma").

Currently, although Shohei Otani , who belongs to the Los Angeles Angels , is showing an active performance in both pitching and batting, the team's results are not good, so it is reported that the Angels lost the game. In the case of Otani, since he is a two-way player of pitching and hitting, it is common to see a pattern in which he throws well as a pitcher, acquires the right to win the pitcher, and after he leaves, the following pitchers are driven in and Otani's victory disappears, and this is also " In addition, it is said to be e."

"Examples
An example where Otani played an active role but the team lost.

He showed 2 home runs and 3 RBIs in the match against the New York Yankees on June 29, 2021, but the team lost 5-11.
In the match against the Kansas City Royals on June 22, 2022, he played an active role in hitting 2 home runs, including tying 3 runs in the 9th inning, and hitting his own record of 8 RBIs, but the team was 11-12 after extra time. defeated. Among fans, it is regarded as a symbolic match of "Naoe".
He hit two home runs against the Oakland Athletics on July 4, 2022, and hit seven home runs for the entire team, but the team lost 7–8 .
In the game against Baltimore Orioles on July 2022, 7, he showed 3 hits including a home run, but the team was hit in the bottom of the 4-2 inning and suffered a come-from-behind goodbye loss."

I love how aware Japanese fans are about this meme. It also originated with Ichiro and the Mariners so ultimately, it's Seattle's fault per usual.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Looking at a list of free agents, there are pretty slim pickings in the 1B and 3B positions, where the Cubs need the most help. Arenado isn't going to opt out of his contract, but it seems likely Rizzo will. Yankees might slap a QO on him in response.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
wow with the one obvious exception the outfield crop is just putrid and meanwhile the Braves are stuck paying Ozuna $41m the next two years

Anthopoulos doesn't gently caress up often but when he does he goes big

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Looking at a list of free agents, there are pretty slim pickings in the 1B and 3B positions, where the Cubs need the most help. Arenado isn't going to opt out of his contract, but it seems likely Rizzo will. Yankees might slap a QO on him in response.

Man that shortstop class is ridiculous

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

for the cubsposters, assuming the ricketts family actually ponies up as all the rumors say, which shortstop would you want?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

jesus christ that list of non-Willson catchers.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

royals shitcanned mike matheny.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

for the cubsposters, assuming the ricketts family actually ponies up as all the rumors say, which shortstop would you want?

Turner if you get him to play some CF. Correa (I know) if you can get him to play some 3B

Honestly idk what to do with this FA class though. Middle infield isn't our big need and the SP class that is likely to opt out (aka very few of them) loving sucks

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Cubs absolutely need to go after one of the big SS FA's. Honestly and I know I'll get poo poo for this, but Madrigal sucks and if you can get Turner to agree to shift to 2B that's the optimal outcome. If none of them will move then gently caress it Correa at SS and Nico at 2B is still two GG's up the middle. Mervis and Wisdom can platoon at 1B, have Morel work on his throws and man 3B. Assuming he doesn't get hurt Davis should be up sooner rather than later and can hold down CF until PCA arrives, then shift to LF.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/jeffpassan/status/1577853881769394178?s=46&t=95KKRqdGaD0helZFgl2mSA

Not unexpected

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Poque posted:

Turner if you get him to play some CF. Correa (I know) if you can get him to play some 3B

Honestly idk what to do with this FA class though. Middle infield isn't our big need and the SP class that is likely to opt out (aka very few of them) loving sucks

Rodon would be cool but there's no way that the Chicago Cubs Big Money Free Agent version of Carlos Rodon does not get instantly put on the Mark Prior Towel Drill program. Cubs signing quintana as a FA would be a certified "big old lmao" from me.