Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Midjack posted:

Look up your local laws; I would not recommend that in a two party consent state.

It’s not lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!
My manager must be high...

I'm managing two sales teams at the moment and we're in expansion mode. He got signoff from the client for an additional 8 heads between the two teams. In addition to that, I need to hire a backfill position for a leaver.

He expects me to have these people hired by the end of the week with a start date no later than November 1, or we might not hit the staffing target he agreed with the client and thus we won't be paid the full amount on the contract. He only had the damned reqs confirmed by our staffing dept Tuesday afternoon.

I'm in EMEA, he's in the US. The location I'm hiring in has a standard notice period of two months and the recruiters haven't even started sourcing CVs yet. My manager is used to the US standard 2 weeks.

If I can get to full headcount by January, it'll practically be a miracle.

And then I'll have 25 direct reports.... I need to promote me a couple team leads so I won't get snowed in.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Baggins posted:

And then I'll have 25 direct reports....

:wtc:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

25 direct reports is nuts. That’s over double what my org thinks is appropriate for a manager. Our max is like 12

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
25 is too many that number could definitely overpower you in combat if it were to come to that.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I'll allow that unusual cases might exist that could push the number as high as 8, but in my experience the maximum number of people any one person can effectively personally manage is 5, maaaaybe 6. Anything in double digits is nutso and indicative of a deeply hosed organization that cares about employee development even less than the corporate norm.

25 is :psypop:

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'll allow that unusual cases might exist that could push the number as high as 8, but in my experience the maximum number of people any one person can effectively personally manage is 5, maaaaybe 6. Anything in double digits is nutso and indicative of a deeply hosed organization that cares about employee development even less than the corporate norm.

lol yea I think our max is 5-6, typical here is 3-4 FTEs. 25 is insane.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

tumblr hype man posted:

lol yea I think our max is 5-6, typical here is 3-4 FTEs. 25 is insane.

Are you considering team leads as FTE With Management Characteristics, or do you seriously have a full 1/3 of the company devoted to management?

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

Baggins posted:

My manager must be high...

I'm managing two sales teams at the moment and we're in expansion mode. He got signoff from the client for an additional 8 heads between the two teams. In addition to that, I need to hire a backfill position for a leaver.

He expects me to have these people hired by the end of the week with a start date no later than November 1, or we might not hit the staffing target he agreed with the client and thus we won't be paid the full amount on the contract. He only had the damned reqs confirmed by our staffing dept Tuesday afternoon.

I'm in EMEA, he's in the US. The location I'm hiring in has a standard notice period of two months and the recruiters haven't even started sourcing CVs yet. My manager is used to the US standard 2 weeks.

If I can get to full headcount by January, it'll practically be a miracle.

And then I'll have 25 direct reports.... I need to promote me a couple team leads so I won't get snowed in.

I'll take a few weeks of onboarding pay :wave:

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

Volmarias posted:

Are you considering team leads as FTE With Management Characteristics, or do you seriously have a full 1/3 of the company devoted to management?

Team leads count as FTE with management characteristics since they do all the raise and review stuff here. Back office teams can definitely be bigger. This is a bank though so it’s gonna be weird compared to other places.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

I use a tool for work that has the url

analytical.toolname.com

so of course I am used to the address being stored in my browser

Recently tech support reset all my browsing data to fix a problem I was having with a different tool.

Anyway boss, that is why I google searched "anal" on company equipment.

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!

Eric the Mauve posted:

You're not wrong. I'm at 12 direct reports and 5 with a dotted line now and I'm already feeling like I can't be effective as-is.

Once I start this process properly, there needs to be a conversation around my role and support network. No way I can manage this many people in the long term.

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

I just staggered out of two days of SAFe training and I'm more convinced than ever that the whole thing is pulled from the CIA sabotage field manual

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Jumpsuit posted:

I just staggered out of two days of SAFe training and I'm more convinced than ever that the whole thing is pulled from the CIA sabotage field manual

How can it not be? The manual says to hold as many meetings as possible and ask everyone if they really agree before continuing

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

CancerCakes posted:

analytical.toolname.com

Recently tech support reset all my browsing data to fix a problem I was having with a different tool.

lmao

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Business, Finance, and Careers > Corporate Megathread: Anyway boss, that is why I googled 'anal' on company equipment

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

remigious posted:

The endless waltz of working for most of the morning and then spending the remainder of the day thinking I should look for a new job.

Instead of just thinking about it, spend the remainder of your day updating your resume/looking for a new job.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

CancerCakes posted:

analytical.toolname.com

At an old job for a project we used Lust brand electric motor drives. We always struggled to look up any documentation for them because we were blocked from searching the word "lust"

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Business, Finance, and Careers > Corporate Megathread: Anyway boss, that is why I googled 'anal' on company equipment

:hmmyes:

dxt posted:

At an old job for a project we used Lust brand electric motor drives. We always struggled to look up any documentation for them because we were blocked from searching the word "lust"

Victorian England-rear end network filters.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Jumpsuit posted:

I've been an agile coach for about 10 years and I absolutely hate SAFe. It's a low-risk low-change product created to sell to executives and to sell training courses and certifications so that those executives can say "we're agile now" without actually being agile. Nobody who is looked up to in the industry endorses it

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Elephant Ambush posted:

I've been an agile coach for about 10 years and I absolutely hate SAFe. It's a low-risk low-change product created to sell to executives and to sell training courses and certifications so that those executives can say "we're agile now" without actually being agile. Nobody who is looked up to in the industry endorses it

right but why do you hate SAFe

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Look we paid a bunch of consultants and didn’t implement any of their advice we paid for, so we’re lean now and I’m disappointed that you aren’t getting more done with the same amount of resources.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

dxt posted:

Instead of just thinking about it, spend the remainder of your day updating your resume/looking for a new job.

I actually am today. Going to head over to the resume thread because it’s been like 5 years since I updated mine :)

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Eh, it depends on the kind of work that's being done and what the role of the manager is. 5 in my mind is nutso few reports, that's an entire weekday for each report unless you are a working manager which brings its own set of issues. But to be fair, I also live in a culture that is a lot lighter on management (and conversely I believe the US tends to be manager heavy) and I work in more of a production environment. My current manager has somewhere in the area of 30-40 reports, but that's also in part a cost-saving measure (used to be two positions before cutbacks).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
There is a big difference between a production environment and office environments when it comes to a reasonable number of direct reports, but I wouldn't push much above 15-1 even in a production environment.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I know it's been complained about a lot itt but I really hate it when nobody adds agendas to their meetings

I always add an agenda even if it's just a couple short bullet points

Why the gently caress am I being invited to a meeting where I don't recognize the subject or most of the other people invited. At least tell me what the hell you're going to talk about

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Elephant Ambush posted:

I know it's been complained about a lot itt but I really hate it when nobody adds agendas to their meetings

I always add an agenda even if it's just a couple short bullet points

Why the gently caress am I being invited to a meeting where I don't recognize the subject or most of the other people invited. At least tell me what the hell you're going to talk about

This is a good point and something I always try to add. Just going by the subject line is not enough!

Plus it gives an outline for note taking.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
LMAO if you pay attention at meetings where you don’t already know what it’s about.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

kissekatt posted:

Eh, it depends on the kind of work that's being done and what the role of the manager is. 5 in my mind is nutso few reports, that's an entire weekday for each report unless you are a working manager which brings its own set of issues. But to be fair, I also live in a culture that is a lot lighter on management (and conversely I believe the US tends to be manager heavy) and I work in more of a production environment. My current manager has somewhere in the area of 30-40 reports, but that's also in part a cost-saving measure (used to be two positions before cutbacks).

It's because in the US most managers are also spending between 30-75% of their team doing IC work, it's just dressed up.

I'm a director and also the SME on like 4 different workflow in our software. THAT MAKES SENSE

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

therobit posted:

LMAO if you pay attention at meetings

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

therobit posted:

LMAO if you pay attention at meetings where you don’t already know what it’s about.

Part of my job when I attend a meeting is to figure out why I'm at the meeting, ideally before that reason appears on a slide deck or wants an answer. :haw:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Double-post, but from my inbox...

Subject: Very mundane title that sounds like an automated progress e-mail, everyone will delete it

Text: Oh hey guys, we found a pants-shittingly FDA-relevant bug in our compliance software package that lets people delete attachments from approved records. Heads-up, don't delete anything until we fix this, okay?

At least put a :siren: or two in your subject lines, guys.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Sundae posted:

Double-post, but from my inbox...

Subject: Very mundane title that sounds like an automated progress e-mail, everyone will delete it

Text: Oh hey guys, we found a pants-shittingly FDA-relevant bug in our compliance software package that lets people delete attachments from approved records. Heads-up, don't delete anything until we fix this, okay?

At least put a :siren: or two in your subject lines, guys.

Will the siren make it more likely or less likely for someone to delete an attachment, do you think

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Devor posted:

Will the siren make it more likely or less likely for someone to delete an attachment, do you think

Good point. Never know when you might alert a disgruntled worker of a new way to screw with everyone.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Sundae posted:

Good point. Never know when you might alert a disgruntled worker of a new way to screw with everyone.

Not even disgruntled, just curious engineers being engineers

"Surely this can't apply to something that's already approv- OH. Huh, it worked"

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I manage 7 people. In tech, it’s pretty standard to have weekly half hour 1:1s with each direct report. Add to that my 1:1 with my manager and PM. Along with recurring status update meetings and task planning this gives me a baseline meeting load of about 12 hours per week. I believe I had 15 hours of meetings on our last No Meetings week.

During quarterly planning, annual planning, performance review season, or for any arbitrary “workshop” session this can spike to 20-25 hours per week.

I’ve seen people manage up to 12 reports reasonably well. 5-7 is more sane. Before this I had 3-4 reports and was also expected to be an individual contributor at ~50% capacity. That specific IC/M role is widely considered to be the worst of all worlds by everyone I’ve talked to. It’s also training wheels into full time management.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

brainwrinkle posted:

I’ve seen people manage up to 12 reports reasonably well. 5-7 is more sane. Before this I had 3-4 reports and was also expected to be an individual contributor at ~50% capacity. That specific IC/M role is widely considered to be the worst of all worlds by everyone I’ve talked to. It’s also training wheels into full time management.

Yeah that is the worst. I'm 80% IC 20% supervisor/lead right now and that's not too bad with 2 people who are fairly self sufficient. My last job I had 4 extremely green newbies and I hated it and could never get anything done.

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

This absolutely felt like an upsell. Apparently our department all did the base SAFe training a year or so ago (before I started) and this session was for leads only and was the Product Manager course. The really frustrating bit was that the course wasn't tailored to our group at all - we're a marketing & campaigns team in a non-tech organisation, but the course was the bog-standard software development version. So we were all trying to figure out how on earth to map and reinterpret all of this to our day-to-day work while the guy is going on about DevOps and systems engineering.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

https://mobile.twitter.com/WSJ/status/1579951242214006784

I would quit

Such a transparent control ploy. “Oh you want to wfh? Ok wear this on your face for at least 8 hours a day so we know you’re not goofing off!! Why did you remove it for 45 minutes in the afternoon yesterday??”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

priznat posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/WSJ/status/1579951242214006784

I would quit

Such a transparent control ploy. “Oh you want to wfh? Ok wear this on your face for at least 8 hours a day so we know you’re not goofing off!! Why did you remove it for 45 minutes in the afternoon yesterday??”

Wii Work

(Stolen from yospos)