Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

yo mamma a Horus posted:

hack is .65 second cast time and it is loud. .65 seconds is absolutely reactable

people that play fighting games at mid level or higher routinely react to things that fast and a bit faster

i have seen you post stuff before and i know you are a good player, i can hardly believe this isn't something you can already do. I find it really hard to believe
sombras are going to start the hack when you aren't looking at them

you have to use an audio cue to flick 180, recognize where they are, maybe reset your mouse depending on your sensitivity, and flick again while they are AD strafing

I've done it but it's going to be very difficult lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

yo mamma a Horus posted:

hack is .65 second cast time and it is loud. .65 seconds is absolutely reactable

people that play fighting games at mid level or higher routinely react to things that fast and a bit faster

i have seen you post stuff before and i know you are a good player, i can hardly believe this isn't something you can already do. I find it really hard to believe

Fighting games are a very different beast. They take place on essentially a 2D plane where both players have perfect information about everything, can always see the other character, and are 100% focused on the 1v1 and nothing else. "Reacting" in a fighting game is performing a single rote muscle-memory input while already facing the enemy and only having 1 dimension of spacing to think about.

Reacting to a Sombra hack, by comparison, involves having to interrupt the healing you are almost certainly actively focused on at the time, rotate around somewhere between 90 and 180 degrees, acquire the Sombra as a target at an unknown distance and height in fully 3D space, aim appropriately with the necessary lead time depending on which direction you observe her moving (since most supports have projectile weapons) and then fire and have the projectile hit. ALL that within less than .65 second. Not very achievable to the majority of players.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

WirelessPillow posted:

Strange, I've had zero toxic games since launch, guess I can count myself lucky honestly.

I dunno, same I guess. Even though I hide chat, there was really only one instance of any toxicity in our 15ish hours of comp play that my brother mentioned.

quote:

I had this moment that struck me as funny
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpXFKVVmcuk

Lol :rip: ball, that owns.

Clip from one of my comp matches earlier this evening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVz7IuVZqgo

I see/hear reaper ult coming from a mile away and am staring him down all like "try it motherfucker" while he's wraith forming. I end up eating his entire ult and then delete him. How'd that player think that whole thing was gonna go down? Gold-level competitive ranked :razz: Thought that was funny, lol.

[edit] Also, remech kills are hilarious.

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Oct 13, 2022

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

Why are gamers so weird and antisocial

E: idk what it is about this game that makes people turn into ragey edgelords. I literally complimented an opposing S76 for whipping rear end and he just goes "fk u".

I must've reported toxic chat like 2-3 times per game. poo poo's exhausting.

I have never played a game with more whiny babies than overwatch. Doesn't matter whether they're winning or losing. It's insane lol.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

teagone posted:

Played a few more comp matches. 3-2 for the night. Pro-tip! If you're DVa playing into an Orisa, save your ult for when Orisa ults, pop it soon as you get sucked in and just casually walk out of her ult because the enemy Orisa can't do anything lmao. Got several easy 3Ks of Orisa eating poo poo from DVa bomb that way. So funny, lol.

Won't work with my Orisa strategy of "Never Ult" because it's just a good way to either not kill anyone or get yourself killed.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Anyone know how I got to 5,000,000 MIT as Ana? Never seen that before. It was in MH.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Any recommendations for facing off against a Phamercy pair? I can't really aim for poo poo, which is why I main heroes like Junkrat, but it sucks seeing the rest of my team being helpless against Pharah as well.

Should I just train Soldier 76 or something?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

AndrewP posted:

Won't work with my Orisa strategy of "Never Ult" because it's just a good way to either not kill anyone or get yourself killed.

I got a 3K Orisa ult the other night. Wombo combo'd with Sojourn nade :haw: Timestamped 39s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc9wkTaJrO4&t=39s

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Any recommendations for facing off against a Phamercy pair? I can't really aim for poo poo, which is why I main heroes like Junkrat, but it sucks seeing the rest of my team being helpless against Pharah as well.

basically be a cracked out hitscan player on soldier/sojourn/ashe/etc.

a good pocketed pharah will use the map geometry to make it difficult for you to kill them and the best you can do is just zone them out, but that's theoretically putting you a man up if you just keep them out

some tips:
1. don't let the pharmercy get close
2. play a sensitivity as low as you possibly can go while still being able to deal w/ tracer/genji up close comfortably
3. pharah's ad strafing is not instant like players are on the ground

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
You can't solo make a huge difference as DPS to phara+mercy but hitscan + zenyatta orb takes them out of the game. Good Anna's will also make a huge difference and of course if you're tank just play D.VA and laugh as they do no damage.

I also got absolutely clowned on by an insane Genji a few games back but that was on a map where he can jump around to Pharahs level a lot

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

in addition I usually advise and remind my team to chip at them whenever possible. If it is a team effort throwing spam up there every now and then, they get neutralized.

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

Sloppy posted:

Anyone know how I got to 5,000,000 MIT as Ana? Never seen that before. It was in MH.

Nanoboost 50% damage resistance counts as mitigation.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Phew. Got all my stuff back with the latest console update that fixed the merge issue. Cosmetics, endorsement level, legacy coins, custom controls, etc.

Other console players: does OW2 allow double-tapping or pressing and holding a D pad direction for different controls? Right now I have to sacrifice the spray menu so I can have an interact button. Do I have to sacrifice emotes so I can ping?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

yo mamma a Horus posted:

You're being either extremely loving disingenuous right now or just stupid.

30 frames, 0.5 seconds is already fairly difficult to react to in a fighting game and you only have one opponent to focus on, they're not invisible, and they're not always off screen.

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013

Sloppy posted:

I got this a few times too. I think it is from an interaction of some invulnerability ability and Dva bomb from close range while Nano is up.

It does make for easy weekly completion without playing a tank!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

You're being either extremely loving disingenuous right now or just stupid.

30 frames, 0.5 seconds is already fairly difficult to react to in a fighting game and you only have one opponent to focus on, they're not invisible, and they're not always off screen.

I was gonna say, there's a bunch more poo poo going on visibly and audibly in your typical OW match compared to a 2D fighter, lol.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

If you don't have a good hitscan, or more preferably two, then the only thing you can do is eat poo poo and cry.

P. S. There are no war in Ba Sing Se hard counters required in OW2.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

pharmercy is a weird balance edge case where you explicitly need to hero swap to deal with it if you have the wrong comp. having ana vs. roadhog is obviously a huge deal but it's not impossible to deal with him otherwise, whereas pharmercy usually demands at least 2 hitscan or 1 hitscan + ana if you don't have, like, the son of s1mple playing widow on you team

also my current favorite hard counter is kiriko vs. doomfist, because he still has a DPS's head hitbox and meteor strike has just enough visual lead in to be countered reactively with suzu. poor guy is straight garbage right now

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
he can't even reliably kill kiriko even if he catches her alone.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
How uhhh does one play d.va? Like how do you decide when to go in and where to position etc etc

I can't wrap my head around her playstyle at all and i never learned her in OW1...

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

whalestory posted:

How uhhh does one play d.va? Like how do you decide when to go in and where to position etc etc

I can't wrap my head around her playstyle at all and i never learned her in OW1...

I'm only Gold 3 tank queue atm, and just started playing D.Va in comp a few days ago for the first time -- my only previous chunk of experience with D.Va was any time I'd get her in mystery heroes, lmao -- so not sure how much value my advice has, hah. I've got about 5 hours of comp playtime with D.Va and a 61% winrate (28 matches total with her on main, 17-11), but in that much time I feel like I've learned a lot, and in my skill current bracket she's really easy (and fun!) to play.

Main thing I think is her boosters being on such low cool down has me bullying the enemy tank around and punishing any overextended enemy players. Micro rockets are on a pretty low cooldown too, and you've infinite ammo, so always be spraying! If I'm up against a shield tank, I try to break shield asap and instruct my stack to do the same, but that's really just general advice. I try to keep tabs on the backline to make sure my supports aren't getting harrassed; again, booster mobility helps with flying to your backline, and matrix is good for covering (not just for backline, but anyone under heavy fire). Try to eat up Moira orbs, Sojourn nades, etc. I also suggest binding the "ping" button to something easily reachable for you and spam that poo poo whenever you sense an opportunity to dive an enemy player and get them low. It deffo helps getting your team to focus fire.

As for descision making, re: when to go in/where to position... someone much better at playing D.Va who has had more time with the hero can prolly give you significantly better advice than whatever BS I'd come up with, lol. I don't know how much this will help, but here's a full match of my Gold 3 D.Va play on New Queen Street from a comp match last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng-yx3vSc-Y

You can see me pinging enemy players a lot, especially ones I think are out of position, and also me doing my best to keep tabs on the enemy reaper (or whoever) to check if they're coming from behind us, trying to flank, etc. Please ignore whenever I lose my sense of direction after boosting; my spatial awareness is terrible :lol: [edit] Do note: I cherry picked that match replay because I ended up with an insane K/D. Think I was like 50-2 with ~15k damage or something. I forget how much mitigation I did. But it was a lot! The enemy tank had 10 or 11 elims by comparison from what I remember. Tank diff :razz:

[edit 2] As an aside, if a more experienced D.Va player wants to do a VOD review of my match and help me get better, by all means! It's an open invitation to critique my D.Va play :)

teagone fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Oct 13, 2022

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Zzulu posted:

Who cares about pros

The pro experience is so wildly different from the casual experience. Genji isn't an issue at all at lower levels, this is all that matters

what the gently caress, genji is worse at ~mid tier because blading somewhat effectively isn't hard but killing a blading 125% movespeed genji is

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

Someone made this handy infographic.

the "fire" system and cards were a replacement for a scoreboard and now we have a scoreboard. "on fire" became an afterthought so quickly to even the devs who kept being inconsistent with what abilities/healing/interactions added how much fire and balancing how easy it was to be on fire. one thing I do miss from the fire system is being able to judge what percentage of a hero's health you did by how much +fire it showed though.

the missing hybrid maps are funny because those are the maps shown to have new singleplayer areas and they seem to have just plum run out of time QAing/optimising them. im guessing they'll slowly come back into rotation and blizzard will never admit anything was wrong.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

curious to see if blizzard is seriously going to stick with charging 20 dollars for OW1 skins

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Hashy posted:

cards were a replacement for a scoreboard and now we have a scoreboard

I'd much rather have 15 seconds after the match to see which players have performed the best in the match and watch everyone's reaction to the POTG than watching the battlepass fill up and game going "congratulation, you level up! Your reward is loving nothing!"

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Minorkos posted:

curious to see if blizzard is seriously going to stick with charging 20 dollars for OW1 skins

They'll lower it to 15$ and go "see? we're nice and reasonable and listen to community feedback"

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I’ve given up on skins. Fortunately I had quite a few from OW1 but none of the new heroes will ever get to change look for me it seems :(

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

I'd much rather have 15 seconds after the match to see which players have performed the best in the match and watch everyone's reaction to the POTG than watching the battlepass fill up and game going "congratulation, you level up! Your reward is loving nothing!"

i like afking into the next queue faster instead of watching everyone leave the match before the cards even appear and then half the cards are like "2 storm arrow kills"

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Collapsing Farts posted:

I’ve given up on skins. Fortunately I had quite a few from OW1 but none of the new heroes will ever get to change look for me it seems :(

If you leave an eligible twitch stream on for 6 hours you get a free legendary skin for Kiriko. First 2 hours of watching is for a Kiriko voice line drop; you have to claim that drop before you can start the drop progress on the Kiriko skin. Think they did that to prevent people from just squatting on a channel overnight or something lol.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

The sting of the new lovely system is definitely lessened from having a bunch of stuff from OW1 around. I can't imagine how bad it must suck for an actually brand new account to stare at the literal mountains of cosmetics and wonder how the gently caress you'll ever earn any of it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Hashy posted:

i like afking into the next queue faster instead of watching everyone leave the match before the cards even appear and then half the cards are like "2 storm arrow kills"

If you want to start the next match right away then you can just leave right after you win/lose?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

One alternative for hitscan against Pharmercy is bringing your own Pharmercy and dueling in the skies.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

If you want to start the next match right away then you can just leave right after you win/lose?

and then requeue and everyone has to pick their roles again? it's a lot of work just so a bunch of afk players see your 3 environmental kills card. can't remember the last time i saw someone vote on those things

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

Why are gamers so weird and antisocial

E: idk what it is about this game that makes people turn into ragey edgelords. I literally complimented an opposing S76 for whipping rear end and he just goes "fk u".

I must've reported toxic chat like 2-3 times per game. poo poo's exhausting.

Blizzard’s games are designed to retain users for as many hours as possible at the expense of all else, which has brought out the worst in people since WoW. This happens with any game which is about making bars fill up but where filling those bars up is contingent on you being in simpatico with other people. See also Dota, Destiny, Call of Duty. Multiplayer games that avoid or mitigate these aggressively addictive feedback loops tend to dodge this and have much kinder communities (see ff14).

Blizzard games get a double whammy though, because their games tend to have a super infantilised narrative component on top of all that, making them catnip for huge man babies.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

yo mamma a Horus posted:

Half a second to realise a hack has started/figure out where from and to deal with it as a tank who's also trying to front line/dive is way harder than you're making it out to be. Actual pro's are struggling, so i'm not surprised someone who was good like 3 years ago (also known as me) is struggling.

whalestory posted:

Luckily, you don't play her like you played her in OW1. D.va is a really angry in your face DPS now. You should mostly be looking at characters on the other team who feel like they're comfy on the high ground and you should go contest it. You shouldn't really bother fighting the other tank unless you're at the end of a fight win or they're pushing into a silly spot.

If you see someone who is low on the other team, go kill them, their is almost nothing that they can do to stop you.

Also, for anyone interested, I placed my tank last night and it put me in masters 5, so I guess I still got it at least a little.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

dogstile posted:

Also, for anyone interested, I placed my tank last night and it put me in masters 5, so I guess I still got it at least a little.

Seagull said a few days ago most GM/T500 players he knew were placing low-to-mid master/high diamond.

teagone fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Oct 13, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Bottom Liner posted:

can we talk about how loving bad the names soldier and sojourn are to have to distinguish in voice chat?

I'm reasonably sure sojourn was meant to be a soldier rework that just got spun off into being a new character

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
that or the design prompt was 'how to make soldier, but good and relevant to the current game'

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Soldier is still good! I like his new beard :shobon:

[edit] If you run the commando skins for Soldier and Sojourn in a DPS duo, you can feel like you're playing FPS Contra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Sojourn is Soldiers and Widows baby and I hear no arguments about it.