Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Battery health is still at 99% after a few years? Does that happen often or was it barely used or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

I just picked up an 14 Pro, which is the first ever iPhone i've ever owned. Mainly inspired by the getting a great camera and battery life while retaining the smaller form factor.

It feels like a nice phone, and iOS is smooth, but i'm not getting any 'wow' feeling from the phone. I'm yet to be inspired to completely to shut off my Galaxy S21. I'm still using it and aren't that interested in picking up the iPhone, which surprises me given how much I don't like my Samsung.

I'm still in the Apple 14-day return window. Given it cost me $1900 AUD, i'm having serious second thoughts. There are bunch of deals going around for the Pixel 7, I could pick one up for about $400 AUD after trading in my Samsung.

Is there anything you'd recommend I do to really start convincing myself on Apple? Or am I not really meant to be 'wowed', and it's the "Everything Just Works" aspect of iPhone/iOS that will take time to reveal itself?

Windmill Hut fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Oct 13, 2022

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I mean, phones have really matured and it's been years since I think I've been "wowed" by whatever new feature the iPhone rolls out.

I will say that once you really get involved into the Apple ecosystem and have things like an Apple Watch or Airpods, that's when things really start to get interesting. An iPhone by itself isn't that much different than most flagship Android phones but an iPhone at the center of a whole cohesive ecosystem is what makes it really hard to switch away.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Windmill Hut posted:

Lifetime android user. I just picked up 14 Pro, the first ever iPhone i've ever owned. Mainly inspired by the camera and battery life in a small form factor.

It all feels nice but i'm not getting any 'wow' feeling from the phone, and there's nothing inspiring me to completely to shut off my Galaxy S21, which surprises me given how much I don't like that phone.

I'm still in the 14-day return window, and given it cost me $1900 AUD, iI've having second thoughts. With a bunch of deals going around for a Pixel 7, I could pick one up for about $400 after trading in my Samsung.

Is there anything you'd recommend I do to really start convincing myself on Apple? Or am I not really meant to be 'wowed', it's the "Everything Just Works" aspect of iPhone/iOS that will take time to reveal itself?

Horror stories like this

CJacobs posted:

Samsung's voicemail app is stupid. It serves you ads unless you pay, and if you delete it you have to use the really old school method of calling your own phone no. to check your voicemail, no replacement generic android app. I had to get Google Voice because screw that it's 2022.

and shorter device support is what's kept from trying android. iOS mostly "just works", but I have had a couple horrible experiences with iOS too.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Snowmankilla posted:

Let me know what they say if you think about!

Hmm. 14 pro on 16.0.2.
To add to this, I also got a prompt asking me to log into my Apple account again :thunk:

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I think my phone is predicting my death. Got a reminder today that just said “the red the red the red the red” and then a “Set up a legacy reminder” tip.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

RandolphCarter posted:

I think my phone is predicting my death. Got a reminder today that just said “the red the red the red the red” and then a “Set up a legacy reminder” tip.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
Update to the random bricking iPhone 14 Pro:

I had Apple service call me (our local fruit stand books appointments too far out and couldn’t take care of my issue while we were there for my gf’s laptop appt. Anyway…)

The service guy ran diagnostics on my phone (remotely which was pretty handy) and it failed the second check which showed it had experienced multiple catastrophic crash events. So they’re sending me a new phone.

In all the years I’ve owned an iPhone this is the first time I’ve ever had an issue with a brand new phone. Kinda annoying, but :shrug:

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

dreesemonkey posted:

I'm considering getting an iPhone for the first time to give it a go. The biggest thing stopping me from switching is that I cannot text from my computer because iMessages seems to only have a mac client, and I'm too heavily invested in the windows world to switch. I'm in front of a computer a lot of the day and I love being able to use google messages and whatsapp on my browser instead of having to pick up my phone all the time.

Knowing that, and the annoyance that it's not USB-C and I'd have to re-buy some apps, are there other things that I'd be missing leaving android that I may not be considering?

I'm also considering a pixel 7 or pixel 7 pro, I have a pixel 4a currently.

not necessarily the simplest/cheapest solutions but apps like bluebubbles and airmessage are around and have web portals for sending messages but typically require you to have access to a mac somewhere. beeper is a newer one that would combine whatsapp and imessage into its own app (and it's not one of the lovely ones that just loads the existing web apps in a window). downside is i don't remember how much beeper costs since i got a lifetime sub very early on, but i have the ability to use imessage on any platform so :shrug:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Apple Music keeps loving up my iTunes library! Today I noticed that iTunes thinks half of my local library is in the cloud (as in only in the cloud). I don't even know fix that. Last month it deleted a decade's worth of "loves".

The cloud feature is great for my phone, but it's been a major pain in the rear end on my Windows desktop.

Sorry, but no one has any idea how to fix this, right? iTunes lost track of at least 1200 songs. I don't see an option to associate an iCloud upload with a local file. The problem is that my AppleMusic trial ends in a month.

I could just manually re-import the music files, which I'm afraid I'm going to have to end up doing, but then I'd lose all my meta data. Also my music music collection is a mishmash of folders compiled over the years from multiple HDDs so just sorting out what needs importing would be a lot of work.

e:I guess I could just re-download everything in the cloud, and get rid of the old archives. Though locating all the old duplicates would be a lot of work, especially since it appears that Apple Music renames the file names to just the song name.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 14, 2022

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
The newest phone update p much disabled Siri/dictation on a 12 and 2nd gen se.

Kinda of a major use for the phone to be crapping out. Some people on the official Apple forums have brought it up and seems like Apple is aware. Just a bit frustrating.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I just noticed with the always-on display that the music widget will horizontally scroll the track listing "randomly" when the time updates once per minute.
I hope they polish some of these behaviours. (Or just get rid of the music widget if it's not playing anything!)

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

To add to this, I also got a prompt asking me to log into my Apple account again :thunk:

The loving worst part about this is that you can’t use a password manager to grab your Apple ID password.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
So my region’s covid exposure app ended service last month. Is there any benefit at all to leaving exposure notifications on in iOS or is it just a battery drain that does nothing for me now?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Question Mark Mound posted:

So my region’s covid exposure app ended service last month. Is there any benefit at all to leaving exposure notifications on in iOS or is it just a battery drain that does nothing for me now?

Even if the backend is gone, the app will attempt to send data so I would suggest to delete the app.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Windmill Hut posted:

I just picked up an 14 Pro, which is the first ever iPhone i've ever owned. Mainly inspired by the getting a great camera and battery life while retaining the smaller form factor.

It feels like a nice phone, and iOS is smooth, but i'm not getting any 'wow' feeling from the phone. I'm yet to be inspired to completely to shut off my Galaxy S21. I'm still using it and aren't that interested in picking up the iPhone, which surprises me given how much I don't like my Samsung.

I'm still in the Apple 14-day return window. Given it cost me $1900 AUD, i'm having serious second thoughts. There are bunch of deals going around for the Pixel 7, I could pick one up for about $400 AUD after trading in my Samsung.

Is there anything you'd recommend I do to really start convincing myself on Apple? Or am I not really meant to be 'wowed', and it's the "Everything Just Works" aspect of iPhone/iOS that will take time to reveal itself?

As others have said, phones have matured to a point where they all just do what you want them to, so it’s really just about things like taste, industrial design, ux, etc. I had a Pixel 6 a while but switched back to iOS because I just really prefer the look and feel of iPhones. I love the design of the newer iPhones - merging the x design with the 4/5 design has made for a really beautiful object. I think iOS looks a lot better than stock Android - I had high hopes for the material you stuff but it just feels less cohesive and tasteful than iOS. Considering my phone is the one object I use the most, the aesthetic experience matters a lot to me (and doesn’t hurt that it works well with my iPad). I just found myself obsessively tinkering with my pixel to find a look and feel I was happy with.

I haven’t had a Samsung in quite a few years, but those are also slick looking phones, and I remember they do their own thing with Android’s design aesthetic. So really it just boils down to what you like the look and feel of more - because unless you’re in the Apple ecosystem, or unless you’re some hardcore power user that needs the openness of Android for a specific purpose, there isn’t a lot to differentiate them beyond that.

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012
I just switched to an iPhone 14 pro max after 10 years of Android phones. I was mainly using Huawei :china: phones because they were great value and never dissapointed until they removed google services.

I went with a Galaxy S20 5G and was very dissapointed with it as it was practically the same phone as my 2 year old Huawei P20 Pro, so that was the last nail in the coffin for me. I've been surprised by the iPhone in a good way but I came here to say this:

getting in the iPhone ecosystem is loving expensive! $550 MXN ($25 USD) for the charging cube?! my wallet is just :negative:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Did your old phones not have a USB-C charger?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Both the Galaxy S20 and Huawei P20 Pro have USB-C ports, so their USB-C chargers should work fine with the USB-C to Lightning cable that comes in the box. Even if you sold the chargers with the phones or something there's absolutely zero reason to buy an Apple charger, assuming there at least some reputable charger companies selling in Mexico.

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

American McGay posted:

Did your old phones not have a USB-C charger?

Yes, I'm using an old USB charger right now. The point I was trying to make is that Apple charges a premium for everything that I just seems greedy. Maybe I was just naive but I didn't notice any of this while on Android. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the usefulness of the lightning port.

I also want to mention that I'm now looking for deals on Apple Watch and Airpods Pro, so the company is doing something good in trying to pull you into their ecosystem.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

sonatinas posted:

Kinda of a major use for the phone to be crapping out. Some people on the official Apple forums have brought it up and seems like Apple is aware. Just a bit frustrating.

Same thing happened to a few other folks in the thread, including me- throwing the phone into recovery mode and choosing to Update rather than Restore is just like reinstalling macOS- your user data shouldn't be touched (barring any other filesystem issues) and it just gives you a fresh version of the OS. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201263

Just don't be a dumbass like me and click the update when iTunes is showing you an older version for download on launch day or you get to go through the full restore process!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

Even if the backend is gone, the app will attempt to send data so I would suggest to delete the app.

It's not an app though. It's just baked into the OS. You can disable it, however, by tapping "turn off exposure notifications" or removing the region.

And funny this should come up. I went to a music festival last weekend that had 160k people over 4 days. I got my first exposure notification in probably 18 months, which shows just how few people actually used it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

El Chingon posted:

Yes, I'm using an old USB charger right now. The point I was trying to make is that Apple charges a premium for everything that I just seems greedy. Maybe I was just naive but I didn't notice any of this while on Android. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the usefulness of the lightning port.

I also want to mention that I'm now looking for deals on Apple Watch and Airpods Pro, so the company is doing something good in trying to pull you into their ecosystem.
I can't speak for Mexico, but in the US, Apple and Samsung charge the same for their phone charging bricks. Known good brand Anker has similar ones that range from a little cheaper to a little more expensive. It's just what good charging bricks that won't set your house on fire cost.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

And funny this should come up. I went to a music festival last weekend that had 160k people over 4 days. I got my first exposure notification in probably 18 months, which shows just how few people actually used it.
I think I got exactly one notification the whole time the scheme was active, and when I finally caught Covid at the start of this year I had no option to report it to let it notify other people that I had been in contact with.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

El Chingon posted:

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the usefulness of the lightning port.

It makes more sense when you understand that lighting was released two years before USB-C. They had to ditch the 30-pin for a smaller connector and they weren’t just gonna swap to USB-C so soon after.

They designed Lightning with a useful life of at least a decade and we’re just now winding down from that.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Question Mark Mound posted:

I think I got exactly one notification the whole time the scheme was active, and when I finally caught Covid at the start of this year I had no option to report it to let it notify other people that I had been in contact with.

Yeah I popped pos on a home test a while back, and there's no way to put that in. In my county, it has to be diagnosed by a doctor, and the result sent into the county or state database, whatever it is, then you wait a week to get a number to punch into the system to confirm your diagnosis.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There was a brief period I got a bunch of exposure notifications in short order. One actually got me sick! My city lets you input home tests, though, but I don't think most people are actually using it.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

it was a cool idea but unfortunately required state and local governments to give a gently caress at all, which they mostly did not do

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Weedle posted:

it was a cool idea but unfortunately required state and local governments to give a gently caress at all, which they mostly did not do

100% this.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

sonatinas posted:

Wow, just realized this is happening on my 12 mini. Can’t even set an alarm with Siri, which should be entirely local. It just acts like I don’t have a network connection where it says it is working on it twice before failing.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

It's not an app though. It's just baked into the OS. You can disable it, however, by tapping "turn off exposure notifications" or removing the region.

Most EU covid exposure platforms were app based and iOS relied on that apps to even enable the exposure stack. iOS doing it without an app is done only in the united states AFAIK.

My whole office is mostly novaxxers and 5g believers, I'm fairly confident to be the only one using IMMUNI so even being deep in the covid swamps(and having my office room mates being infected multiple times, sometimes several variants each) it didn't provide much intelligence.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
Since the update to 16.0 on my iPhone 12 Pro Max, Siri within CarPlay/connected to generic car bluetooth is really starting to frustrate me and I'm not sure if it's user error or what. It's been happening since the full release of 16.0 and has continued with each of the patch releases.

Situation: When I'm in my car, I press the handsfree button and will say something like "message $WIFE". Siri will respond with "What do you want to say to $WIFE?"

Problem 1: The sound/chime-thing that CarPlay uses to say that Siri is done talking and ready to listen to my input is a much softer sound and lower volume than all previous versions of iOS (15.x and earlier) and so it's incredibly hard to hear while driving.

Problem 2: (Which ties into #1) It seems like it takes maybe 0.5-1s longer than it used to take to be ready to listen to me, so if I can't hear the little chime sound and just try to guess when it's ready, Siri ends up only hearing a portion of what I'm saying.

I've looked through the settings and can't find anything like "Turn the motherfucking chime sound volume down" so I don't think it's anything I did, but maybe there's a hidden feature that someone knows about that can help me here? I use handsfree a lot to be safe if I need to send a quick message or change the song or whatever but this poo poo has got me to the point where I'm going to start physically picking up my phone again if I can't figure it out.

pls halp

Violator
May 15, 2003

I have the same problems. I can’t hear that soft loving chime now.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
My Siri doesn’t work. If I ask her to turn on the lights or make an appointment she will say “On it” followed by “still working” and then give up with a “something went wrong” 30 seconds later.

It immediately happened after I disabled some toggles in “Siri & Search” trying to prevent web results from showing up when I swipe down and use searchlight (since I want searchlight for apps and docs, not searching the web).

I’ve since restored the settings I switched, and restarted my phone multiple times, but Siri still doesn’t do anything.

What else should I look at?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I had to do a restore to get mine working again.

Mechanical Fiend
Sep 5, 2011

How'd that asshole get a white robe?!

Try changing your Siri language in settings. Had to swap to English (UK) and back to fix it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

On my car if you change the volume while Siri is doing something (usually reading gps directions), that seems to specifically adjust the volume for it going forward.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Weedle posted:

I had no idea at all that this functionality existed until I read about it just now. In retrospect I’m going to call Apple cowards for not trying harder to make the tech useful without the dumbass government.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mechanical Fiend posted:

Try changing your Siri language in settings. Had to swap to English (UK) and back to fix it.

Thanks. It works in UK English but not when I switch it back to US :confused: I might just keep it like this

I had to do a restore to get mine working again.

Thanks I might have to do this if my immersion program fails

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Anyone had an issue with texting Android people photos recently? It takes forever to send then just finally fails every time. Multiple different Android people.