Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

shame on an IGA posted:

that's a shame the last sentence is one of the greatest punchlines ever

spoil for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Wombot posted:

My understanding is that this is a mistranslation/misunderstanding of the report released by Russian sources. In the Russian text, it differentiates between the two trucks - the narrative is that the x-rayed truck brought the goods in to some place, then they were loaded onto the red-cab/white-trailer truck and that's the vehicle that exploded on the bridge. The red truck wasn't x-rayed, it was visually inspected.

I still don’t follow. The truck that blew up was visually inspected after it had been loaded with the explosives? Or both trucks went through inspection, one being x-rayed, and then they transferred the explosives over on the ‘clean side’ of the inspection point?

Like, neither option makes the Russian security seem competent.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Murgos posted:

"Here is our bullshit excuse for what happened that actually makes us look even MORE of a clownshow than what probably actually happened" seems to be Russia's MO. See for instance their explanations re: Mosvka's sinking.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

spoil for me

It includes a horrible, HORRIBLE sex plotline involving a Chinese government worker and a Japanese-American spy.

"Ming went out to dinner -- the restaraunts hadn't closed -- with her foreign lover, gushing over drinks and noodles with the extraordinary events of the day, then walked off to his apartment for a dessert of Japanese sausage."

Yes.

That's how the book ends.

OH JOHN RINGO NO

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
also the whole book is wildly, wildly racist

"China was an ancient land with an ancient culture, but in many ways these people might as well have been Klingons as fellow human beings, so detached were their societal values from what Chester Nomuri had grown up with."

It makes that "Chinese aren't really human" analogy about 6 more times in case you miss it

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
I would spoiler tag this stuff but no one should ever buy nor read this book

Buy Arc Light instead if you want to read turn-of-the-century war drama that's actually good

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Lum_ posted:

also the whole book is wildly, wildly racist

"China was an ancient land with an ancient culture, but in many ways these people might as well have been Klingons as fellow human beings, so detached were their societal values from what Chester Nomuri had grown up with."

It makes that "Chinese aren't really human" analogy about 6 more times in case you miss it
All I remember from that book is that it really wanted to sell me that Mao was a pedophile.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Bell_ posted:

All I remember from that book is that it really wanted to sell me that Mao was a pedophile.

Hell, same. It might have been multiple books that really wanted us to know that Russians just stay still and cuddle for a while with dick in pussy after cumming (????)

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1580090899228418048

Ukraine's twitter game continues to be very on point.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Lum_ posted:

I would spoiler tag this stuff but no one should ever buy nor read this book

Buy Arc Light instead if you want to read turn-of-the-century war drama that's actually good

And watch an impeachment actually succeed

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Murgos posted:

I still don’t follow. The truck that blew up was visually inspected after it had been loaded with the explosives? Or both trucks went through inspection, one being x-rayed, and then they transferred the explosives over on the ‘clean side’ of the inspection point?

Tomn posted:

"Here is our bullshit excuse for what happened that actually makes us look even MORE of a clownshow than what probably actually happened" seems to be Russia's MO. See for instance their explanations re: Mosvka's sinking.

Yeah, I'm specifically saying that, according to the source text in Russian, the picture of the X-rayed truck is never meant to match with the red cab truck - they're two separate trucks. That specific claim that "FSB is trying to make us think this X-ray matches this red truck, which it clearly does not" is actually not ever made by the source of those images.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Wombot posted:

Yeah, I'm specifically saying that, according to the source text in Russian, the picture of the X-rayed truck is never meant to match with the red cab truck - they're two separate trucks. That specific claim that "FSB is trying to make us think this X-ray matches this red truck, which it clearly does not" is actually not ever made by the source of those images.

So, the Trump legal argument approach? Just make a bunch of unrelated statements and let those gullible readers you want to influence infer the desired conclusion because you don’t care if for everyone else it’s transparent.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Arc Light owns, both book and poster

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Basticle posted:

Hell, same. It might have been multiple books that really wanted us to know that Russians just stay still and cuddle for a while with dick in pussy after cumming (????)

Dale Brown spent a lot of time making that point for no good reason too.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Lum_ posted:

It includes a horrible, HORRIBLE sex plotline involving a Chinese government worker and a Japanese-American spy.

"Ming went out to dinner -- the restaraunts hadn't closed -- with her foreign lover, gushing over drinks and noodles with the extraordinary events of the day, then walked off to his apartment for a dessert of Japanese sausage."

Yes.

That's how the book ends.

OH JOHN RINGO NO

I have not read a Tom Clancy book in 20 years and lost track of this thread, yet I immediately knew what this was about. It's that distinctively hamfisted.

IIRC there is also a part where she goes on about how tiny Chinese men's dicks are. Also the Chinese police kill two Christian ministers who are trying to stop a forced abortion and the world boycotts China in response.

Tom Clancy, everyone.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Tom Clancy's books were good until about 1991 when obviously his material sorta dried up.

e: the best books are The Hunt for Red October, The Cardinal of the Kremlin, and Red Storm Rising. Patriot Games is okay but a little bit author insert fanfiction-ey. Without Remorse is sort of fun for all the pleasure boating stuff and the campy Death Wish thing. Rainbow Six is so bad it's good. The rest are mostly trash.

e2: oh I forgot Clear and Present Danger that one's good too.

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Oct 13, 2022

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Mortabis posted:

Tom Clancy's books were good until about 1991 when obviously his material sorta dried up.

e: the best books are The Hunt for Red October, The Cardinal of the Kremlin, and Red Storm Rising. Patriot Games is okay but a little bit author insert fanfiction-ey. Without Remorse is sort of fun for all the pleasure boating stuff and the campy Death Wish thing. Rainbow Six is so bad it's good. The rest are mostly trash.

The mid-90s when he got onto his "multimedia" kick was when poo poo really went south, and also around the time he started having lovely books ghostwritten with his name emblazoned on the covers.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Basticle posted:

... most people don't?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Basticle posted:

ah, the ol' soviet sloshy sausage snuggle

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1580292721117626369?t=m2MYIOQEHbnwQhGweLhDrw&s=19

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Reddit says this is a Russian vehicle driving over Russian-placed anti-tank mines, but no idea if that's true.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

I can see how there might be a little bit of a visibility issue if you aren't driving head out lol

E: this one shows it better

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Oct 13, 2022

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The mid-90s when he got onto his "multimedia" kick was when poo poo really went south, and also around the time he started having lovely books ghostwritten with his name emblazoned on the covers.

Is that the same time when the Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon games came out?

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
OG Ghost Recon was loving dope, I loved that game

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Splinter Cell also a Tom Clancy game series.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1580492869705822208?s=20&t=Hr0WEADfwdIJHPzDa4ksJQ

begun, the drone wars have

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Pro flying by the Ukrainian drone operator, knew to not attack from below but drop from above to break the other drones props.

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff

This looks safe

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

The camera on the pov drone is weirdly super stable through all this I'm confused.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Maybe it was stabilized by cropping a larger video?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Don't those drones have gimbal mounts on the cameras?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Don't those drones have gimbal mounts on the cameras?

Many of them do, yes so they can be/appear super stable.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Those Mavics absolutely have a gimbal stock. My older Phantom 3 shoots stable video (when the idiot flying it lets it).

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Yeah mavic video is incredibly stable. You might get it to jump a little if you do a maximum speed stop in high winds.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I was still expecting the background to move. Even at that altitude. Kinda just feels like the other one just rammed itself into the bottom of a stationary drone.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

M_Gargantua posted:

I was still expecting the background to move. Even at that altitude. Kinda just feels like the other one just rammed itself into the bottom of a stationary drone.

That’s pretty much exactly what happened. But ya camera gimbals on even commercial drones are really good nowadays.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
It is absolutely insane how good drone cameras are on every level. From relatively cheap consumer drones on up to entirely non consumer drones, it just gets more and more ridiculous. Every now and then some footage from one of the really high end drones gets released and man it's wild what they can do and from what range.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Seems NATO is slowly and quietly aligning around the "If Russia uses a tactical nuke a conventional response from NATO will be likely rather than MAD"

https://twitter.com/EHunterChristie/status/1580575218929569793?s=20&t=ILmpVSKJW0SUdc0oVikUNQ

Which is the right thing to do.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah. Nato does not need nukes to destroy what's left of the Russian military.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah. Nato does not need nukes to destroy what's left of the Russian military.

Its also likely enough to get Putin to keep it in his pants, thankfully.