Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
The pilot model from the Knight kit, and four dudes behind him with coconut shells

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Xenomrph posted:

Let’s say I’m trying to make a Death Guard kill team of 6 plague marines (2 fireteams of 3 dudes), what’s a good way to kit them out? I’ve got 3 separate plague marines already done (one with a flail of corruption, a champion with bolt gun and power fist, and an icon bearer) and I have an entire box of plague marines to kit out however I want. How should I build the box so I’ve got a good variety I can pluck from?

Also is a 6-man kill team even viable? I’m guessing pox walkers are probably a good idea but I just… don’t want to paint them lol

You're in luck because Poxwalkers are actually quite bad now and nobody even includes them on rosters, let alone plays them. Death Guard are definitely decent - I've been putting one together too and that was a big worry of mine, but going from 5 to 6 operatives really helped them and while they're not a top-tier army they do put in some decent showings now and then.

The only two units that are basically mandatory are the Icon Bearer and Blight Launcher - you will almost never see a competitive list that doesn't run both. Champ with a plasma pistol and power fist is almost always there too, and after that you're just filling in gaps depending on if you want a shooty, melee, or balanced team.

From a box of plague marines, you'll pretty much be set if you build: 1 great plague cleaver, 1 flail of corruption, 1 plasma gun, 1 blight launcher, 1 plague spewer, 1 mace + axe, 1 icon bearer (a lot of people just buy the DG standard bearer for this guy, I've noticed), and a couple dudes with boltguns. That + your champ will cover basically every configuration you could run.

edit: Since it sounds like you'll have a few extra dudes to work with, one marine with double plague knives is probably worth building too.

Froghammer posted:

I maintain that there should be a Knight kill team that's just one Armiger

One big knight foot

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Oct 11, 2022

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Xenomrph posted:

Also is a 6-man kill team even viable? I’m guessing pox walkers are probably a good idea but I just… don’t want to paint them lol

Things might have changed in the meta, pox walkers weren't very good before vs the insane durability of more marines. Their heavy weapons and melee options are particularly nasty. They're pretty forgiving to play with and are great for learning the game in general even if their max potential isn't top tier in the competitive scene.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
XPosting from Miniatures Painting thread:

Captain Magic posted:

Painted up a squat squad (squadt?). I've seen this scheme now after the fact, but when I first tried it out I was just experimenting with the new contrasts:

I'm particularly proud of the dude with the power pick (because I cobbled it together from bits).

I also did this lady from Cursed City after a million years of just letting it sit there:

I finally have a Necromunda gang! Now all I have to do is learn the game.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
We have been playing a ton of Lord of the Rings lately. This game has changed a lot, like a lot, since I played it in the early 00s. I am pretty sure I am a fan of the changes, but there are way more rules than I thought there were going to be.

Here's most of my Orctober project. I have 6 warg riders I just primed as well.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Captain Magic posted:

XPosting from Miniatures Painting thread:

I finally have a Necromunda gang! Now all I have to do is learn the game.

Necromuna is so awesome, and I'm glad this thread got me to try it out. Just wrapping up our first campaign and it has been a total blast.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Lumpy posted:

Necromuna is so awesome, and I'm glad this thread got me to try it out. Just wrapping up our first campaign and it has been a total blast.

gently caress yeah! Glad to hear it. What gang did you play?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Genghis Cohen posted:

gently caress yeah! Glad to hear it. What gang did you play?

Delaque, and once I got the hang of getting the Spektor into combat w/o getting shot, holy crap. I almost felt bad. Almost.

Will be playing Orlock in the next one, so we shall see how that goes!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Ok I have Into the Dark, if I get Shadowvaults is it just another copy of the same terrain?

I want more terrain for a big boarding action table, should I just hold out for the 40k box?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

It's most likely the same sprues, yeah. The 40k box will have those as well, but it'll have twice as many of each.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The 40k one seems perfect then, thanks.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Do we know if the 40K box is going to have a mat in it?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Hey guys, been thinking of dipping my toe back into 40k but I cant go the normal route since that would require alot of money and time investment, as well as the fact that I dont have anyone else who would be willing to learn the rules with such minutae. Sadly, Space hulk seems to be extremely rare expensive.

Necromunda ash wars seems pretty good but it looks like it’s only 2 players?

the game that seems most attractive to me price and reasonability wise is Kill Team, looks like exactly the kind of simpler single package game that’s right up my alley, and I could definitely see it as something much more approachable for normal people to play with and set up, I’m thinking of getting it now.

I was wondering what do you guys think of it? Is it any good? Is it a simpler faster version of 40k? How friendly is it towards normal people to get into?

What set do you recommend to start with?

I am thinking of getting the ‘Into the Dark’ set as my first purchase to try out the game with, it seems to get high reviews and people are saying this is the version that games workshop will expand upon in the near future. Can you use any faction in this new set? Or do the units of the previous set not carry over? I would love to try various factions at some point.

Is it strictly only 2 players only? Or can you expand it somehow to 3 or four players?

Thanks, any advice would be appreciated.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 12, 2022

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Lumbermouth posted:

Do we know if the 40K box is going to have a mat in it?

The preview photo shows one, so probably.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

Hey guys, been thinking of dipping my toe back into 40k but I cant go the normal route since that would require alot of money and time investment, as well as the fact that I dont have anyone else who would be willing to learn the rules with such minutae. Sadly, Space hulk seems to be extremely rare expensive.

the game that seems most attractive to me price and reasonability wise is Kill Team, looks like exactly the kind of simpler single package game that’s right up my alley, and I could definitely see it as something much more approachable for normal people to play with and set up, I’m thinking of getting it now.

I was wondering what do you guys think of it? Is it any good? Is it a simpler faster version of 40k? How friendly is it towards normal people to get into?

I am thinking of getting the ‘Into the Dark’ set as my first purchase to try out the game with, it seems to get high reviews and people are saying this is the version that games workshop will expand upon in the near future. Can you use any faction in this new set? Or do the units of the previous set not carry over? I would love to try various factions at some point.

Is it strictly only 2 players only? Or can you expand it somehow to 3 or four players?

Kill Team is not a simplified 40k, it's solidly its own thing. It's also really good, fast and pretty easy to learn. Pick an army you like, though the ones specially made for Kill Team will be a bit more interesting due to the huge amount of options you get. I'm pretty sure it's doable with more than two players but 2 is the intended number.

e: In my opinion KT is better than 40k.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Al-Saqr posted:

Necromunda has multi-player missions, and most can be tweaked to handle multiple players. It is nothing like 40k gameplay wise. It is insanely fun though.

Kill Team plays not much like 40k rule-wise but is tied more closely to it model / faction wise, and I think it plays more like it in the sense that it's very strategic thinking "know rules well" based. It is also fun. KT is very much 2 player only, but no reason you can't wing it.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Al-Saqr posted:

The Kill Team Annual 2022 has rules for three and four player games.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

rantmo posted:

The Kill Team Annual 2022 has rules for three and four player games.

a7m2 posted:

Kill Team is not a simplified 40k, it's solidly its own thing. It's also really good, fast and pretty easy to learn. Pick an army you like, though the ones specially made for Kill Team will be a bit more interesting due to the huge amount of options you get. I'm pretty sure it's doable with more than two players but 2 is the intended number.

e: In my opinion KT is better than 40k.

Lumpy posted:

Necromunda has multi-player missions, and most can be tweaked to handle multiple players. It is nothing like 40k gameplay wise. It is insanely fun though.

Kill Team plays not much like 40k rule-wise but is tied more closely to it model / faction wise, and I think it plays more like it in the sense that it's very strategic thinking "know rules well" based. It is also fun. KT is very much 2 player only, but no reason you can't wing it.

Awesome, that settles it, gonna buy into the dark plus a couple extra factions, should be fun!

God daaaamn that rogue trader kill team set looks amazing

Really hoping they release a Voltann kill team at some point should be really fun to relive deep rock galactic adventures

I gotta say I am super duper impressed with the quality of the models, they really are super great, definitely making that small team look as cool as possible!

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 12, 2022

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Painting up a kill team is way more fun than painting a full army as you can take your time without burning out. And you can make multiple kill teams so you're not just painting up 1000 guardsmen

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

hey do I need to buy the Compendium for kill team? or is the Core book and 2022 Annual enough?

my current shopping list is the following:-

Inside the dark starter kit

Rogue Trader Kill team

and the fourth team is either going to be GellerPox Infected or Ork Kommandos, what do you recommend?

Is this a good bunch of stuff to start with? I am holding off buying the imperial guard since it would be human overkill considering I will probably get the Kasrkin-Necron 'Shadowvault' Expansion if I end up liking this game enough to keep at it.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

You won’t need the compendium for any of those.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

Painting up a kill team is way more fun than painting a full army as you can take your time without burning out.
Ain't that the truth. I'm almost done with my team of six Space Wolves and let me tell you I am almost done painting Space Wolves. :v:

(I'll probably expand them out into a small army at some point, if only to use the rest of the box.)

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I bought the Compendium because Grey Knights are my starting KT and then to have access to all the other rules in there and honestly it was not worth it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Siivola posted:

Ain't that the truth. I'm almost done with my team of six Space Wolves and let me tell you I am almost done painting Space Wolves. :v:

(I'll probably expand them out into a small army at some point, if only to use the rest of the box.)

I have a full army of space wolves. Luckily they're mostly primaris, but they have some viking decorations to keep them interesting. I also have a big backlog of characters and some other units for them, including 9 twc. Idk when I'm ever going to feel like painting them up

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

I have a full army of space wolves. Luckily they're mostly primaris, but they have some viking decorations to keep them interesting. I also have a big backlog of characters and some other units for them, including 9 twc. Idk when I'm ever going to feel like painting them up
The Blood Claws/Grey Hunters box has so many wolf tails and rune danglies and pelts and trim and jeez louise. I'm thinking I'll get a box of MkVI tacticals or something to dilute all those bitz.

Set
Oct 30, 2005
If you want the Ork Kommandos, it can be a good idea to look at the cheaper starter set, that comes with those as well as the Krieg guys! It is not that much more expensive than just buying either squad separately, and you get a extra rulebook and some terrain on top. Can save you some money if you ever plan to expand there!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah get the set with Orks and Krieg. Both are really cool models and fun teams.

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

hey do I need to buy the Compendium for kill team? or is the Core book and 2022 Annual enough?

Rogue Trader Kill team

and the fourth team is either going to be GellerPox Infected or Ork Kommandos, what do you recommend?

The annual has the unit rules for both the rogue trader and the gellerpox teams. If that helps with your decision making. The ork kommando team would be in the octarius book for the official rule book.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

Rogue Trader Kill team

Is this a good bunch of stuff to start with? I am holding off buying the imperial guard since it would be human overkill considering I will probably get the Kasrkin-Necron 'Shadowvault' Expansion if I end up liking this game enough to keep at it.

Just a heads up, you might know it already but the Into the Dark box does have the core rule book included, not sure if you were saying you'd buy that separately along with the Annual.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

thebardyspoon posted:

Just a heads up, you might know it already but the Into the Dark box does have the core rule book included, not sure if you were saying you'd buy that separately along with the Annual.

yeah I just realized this, that was a close shave!

Set posted:

If you want the Ork Kommandos, it can be a good idea to look at the cheaper starter set, that comes with those as well as the Krieg guys! It is not that much more expensive than just buying either squad separately, and you get a extra rulebook and some terrain on top. Can save you some money if you ever plan to expand there!

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah get the set with Orks and Krieg. Both are really cool models and fun teams.

yeah this is a good idea! I just looked at the overall cost, it is much cheaper I agree! there's a fairly steep discount happening for both the 'into the dark' and 'recruit' starter pack' on amazon that would bring the overall cost to 250 dollars, a pretty good deal!

as much as the rogue trader set looks super loving awesome it's just too expensive to buy the core box+ rogue trader+gellerpox+annual 2022 rule book stuff.

I think I'll first really try out the game, see how people in my life enjoy it if at all, then if the response is positive I will expand into the other sets and teams. The 'ShadowVault' set is coming very soon so that might be a good step forward in the future, if the game turns out to be a dud for everyone around me then at least I'm not too much in the hole to cry about it as I'm painting my figures.

Is there anywhere online I can see the 3-4 player rules or is that considered piracy or whatever?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Ok I just got back from talking to my friends/relatives and stuff about playing kill team and I gotta say I am genuinely loving shocked at how violent a rejection I got from them.

I tried to sell them on trying out the game, I told them this was a much smaller scale, faster and funner version of 40k, I told them I will handle building and painting, but the response was really full on “No” from them, no meeting halfway or anything.

What makes me so insane is that these freaks are all crazy nerds who love rules and long board games, I have to sit there and put up with their five hour long board games about Bavarian irrigation systems from the 1700’s and obsess over victory points and poo poo, but they don’t want to meet me half way to play a fun shooter squad game that’s only an hour long and looks cool and has guns and stuff.

A lot of the responses revolve around them saying that this is just analog Manual Xcom and that they’re not excited by that, and the setting doesn’t interest them. (As opposed to loving boring rear end European victory point games lol)

Mind you, this is after they keep lecturing me about playing board games and tabletop games so we can have less screen time and enjoy each others company.

How do you guys get people into this game?

Anyways, sorry for wasting your guys times, I’ll have to hold off on buying this game until I can find a reliable 40k group of friends. :smith:

if any of you know of any 40k clubs in Saudi Arabia let me know, thanks.

At least there’s gonna be Darktide in a month or so I can enjoy by myself in the dark. :smith:

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Oct 13, 2022

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
there's a pretty big gulf between euro board games and what GW is doing. it's very likely that they just aren't interested in the sort of game killteam is.

Set
Oct 30, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

Ok I just got back from talking to my friends/relatives and stuff about playing kill team and I gotta say I am genuinely loving shocked at how violent a rejection I got from them.

drat, that sucks. :smith: Been there, done that as well. The "manual X-Com"-thing is a drat selling point, and its a shame they reacted like that. I have a feeling they might just have rejected it outright without even thinking about it, because it is GW and thus not nerd cred cool enough, combined with some good 'ol "don't wanna try new things"-inertia? In my experience if you manage to get people like that to try something at least once, they'll most likely like it! I mean such a big part of boardgames is the social interaction side, and if you are having fun that helps everyone else to have fun as well.

Maybe try it out on Tabletop Simulator first, so you don't waste money if even that fails? Or paint one faction to be Bavarian Irrigation Engineers who turn up on a space hulk? :v:

Set fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Oct 13, 2022

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Set posted:

In my experience if you manage to get people like that to try something at least once, they'll most likely like it!

Ok this might be a great idea, I’ll buy the $80 recruit starter set with the Kriegs and Commandos, build the set and present it and see what happens, this way if people don’t like it even after they try it then it’s no big loss on my part and I can still have a nice small collection of figures.

But if they DO like it, then wowza mama I’m gonna go all out on into the dark+shadow vault

Spending any more than that before trying it out on people in real life would be irresponsible. Thanks for the suggestion!

If I get the recruit set, do I have to get the core book or is the Octarius rule book enough for this small starter kit?

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Oct 13, 2022

Set
Oct 30, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

Ok this might be a great idea, I’ll buy the $80 recruit starter set with the Kriegs and Commandos, build the set and present it and see what happens, this way if people don’t like it even after they try it then it’s no big loss on my part and I can still have a nice small collection of figures.

But if they DO like it, then wowza mama I’m gonna go all out on into the dark+shadow vault

Spending any more than that before trying it out on people in real life would be irresponsible. Thanks for the suggestion!
As long as you're enthusiastic about it, then it tends to rub off on your friends too. :) I hope your plan works! And as you said, if it doesn't then you have a small collection of minis that you can build and paint, which is fun in itself too!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Set posted:

As long as you're enthusiastic about it, then it tends to rub off on your friends too. :) I hope your plan works! And as you said, if it doesn't then you have a small collection of minis that you can build and paint, which is fun in itself too!

Thanks! Do I need to get the core+ octarius book for this starter set? Or is the octarius rule book enough to get the most out of the Kriegs and Kommandos?

Edit

Ok nevermind I found out the set comes with a condensed core rulebook, I’ll just get the octarius rulebook and that will be good enough for now.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Oct 13, 2022

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Grab some generic ww2 models and trick them into thinking it's a historical game.

Set
Oct 30, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

Thanks! Do I need to get the core+ octarius book for this starter set? Or is the octarius enough to get the most out of the Kriegs and Kommandos?

I think it should come with all the basic rules, as well as the rules for both Krieg and Ork Kommandos? I got the original Octarius box that came with all the team specific rules, and I always expected that the starter was the same contents, just less terrain. So no need to get anything beyond the starter box? I am sure someone will come along and either confirm or deny!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Set posted:

I think it should come with all the basic rules, as well as the rules for both Krieg and Ork Kommandos? I got the original Octarius box that came with all the team specific rules, and I always expected that the starter was the same contents, just less terrain. So no need to get anything beyond the starter box? I am sure someone will come along and either confirm or deny!

I looked into it, it comes with the core book but without the fluff and story, which is fine since I’m a 40k lore maniac so I can live without it, lol.

The octarius book is what’s needed since it comes with special rules and missions and tactics for the specific Kriegs and Commandos and more missions, it’s only 30 bucks so it’s fine to add.

I’ll check back with you guys once I try it with a captive friend lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Set
Oct 30, 2005

Eediot Jedi posted:

Grab some generic ww2 models and trick them into thinking it's a historical game.

In a weird timewarp, the Krieg are WW1 French and the Ork Kommandos are WW2 British SAS, fighting over the control of ancient Bavarian irrigation systems.