Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

peanut- posted:

Apparently Truss’s meeting with Tory MPs last night was such a catastrophe that they are now openly discussing bringing Boris back as the only viable option. So yeah it’s definitely on the table.

Boris HAS been suspiciously inconspicuous recently. I can't imagine there's any other reason for that than that he's plotting something and is lying low, biding his time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

peanut- posted:

Apparently Truss’s meeting with Tory MPs last night was such a catastrophe that they are now openly discussing bringing Boris back as the only viable option. So yeah it’s definitely on the table.

That's amazing. He'd be so smug to be back, he'd gently caress upp even worse than last time

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

bustin keaton posted:

They'll be fine, probably no different to the generation before in 10 years, apart from being a bit less accepting of nonces (shout out Bloc Party and The Strokes, still ducking that expose) and general bigots.

Requesting a nonce report on both Bloc Party and The Stroks

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

keep punching joe posted:

Labour in opposition "actually the rent freeze was our idea, and we'd have done it sooner and better."

Labour in government.

https://twitter.com/WalesPolitics/status/1580258374666850304?t=E3NmX0vnem82uYSSHgyExQ

lol wasn't Welsh Labour meant to be less poo poo than the English variety?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Failed Imagineer posted:

Requesting a nonce report on both Bloc Party and The Stroks

strokes

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Crymetimeboys posted:

JRM patronising centrists

Qualifying an unequivocally good thing with the word "intelligent" in order to completely bastardise it without blowback.

No wonder the editors fell for it (also they probably agree).

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

I was just coming to post this.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Regarding that “thumbs up Emoji” story…

https://twitter.com/RottenInDenmark/status/1580350932457771008

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Jippa posted:

I was just coming to post this.

Instability of national electricity infrastructure? Not a real world problem! You should put down your iphones and your nintendos and engage with some tedious culture war bullshit instead.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I use the thumbs up emoji to reply to my partners texts specifically because it makes her really mad.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
In a perfect microcosm of Anglo-Irish relations, a Sky Sports presenter berates an Irish soccer player for the team singing a song with an "Up the 'RA" chant in it. Tells her that the team needs educating on Anglo-Irish history (?)

https://twitter.com/KNEECAPCEOL/status/1580246133712228352?t=KWKgq0kWq-XxqEMlIGZjZA&s=19

Chaser:

https://twitter.com/wolfetones/status/1580344596009480192?t=lC48WgFnyjznZf4S48ZmNw&s=19

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

bustin keaton posted:

Setting aside the usual "generation polls are almost exclusively PR agency guff to promote something", "the quotes are from Reddit", "this is the Daily Mail", "generations in general are useless most of the time", "who the gently caress named them Zoomers", "remember when Milennials were soft boys ruining the world" etc....

I do find it amusing/irritating when people kids-these-days about zoomers and their discourse on tiktok as uniquely damning of the whole cohort, as if tumblr never happened

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/coldwarsteve/status/1580450654392197123

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

keep punching joe posted:

Labour in opposition "actually the rent freeze was our idea, and we'd have done it sooner and better."

Labour in government.

https://twitter.com/WalesPolitics/status/1580258374666850304?t=E3NmX0vnem82uYSSHgyExQ

"unintended consequences" like their property development mates getting mad at them.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I wonder what kind of refurb boris'll do on the prime ministers apartment this time.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Gonzo McFee posted:

"unintended consequences" like their property development mates getting mad at them.

Aren't like all your politicians landlords themselves

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I wonder what kind of refurb boris'll do on the prime ministers apartment this time.

Just because the floorplan of No.10 is L-shaped doesn't mean you should get any idead

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Aren't like all your politicians landlords themselves

Of course, only the workshy poor aren't landlords

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/campbellclaret/status/1580460596431945728

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

sebzilla posted:

lol wasn't Welsh Labour meant to be less poo poo than the English variety?

The poo poo tide raises all poo poo ships.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Love Michael Hobbes. He's made his entire job to be a moral panic-seeking missile, and then dismantle them snarkily.

This episode of his podcast is relevant to the alcohol discussion from a few pages ago (and the whole podcast is good)

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/maintenance-phase/id1535408667?i=1000580774171

ANYTHING YOU SOW
Nov 7, 2009

Payndz posted:

Sir Kier Starmer, former Director of Public Prosecutions under the Coalition, former member of the Trilateral Commission, enthusiastic purger of the left, Establishment continuity candidate? That Sir Kier Starmer?

A starmer government might raise income tax on high earners a bit, probably some increase in spending on health and social care(as long as most of it goes through private providers) and public investment in infrastructure.

But it is never going to do anything that challenges the role of the City of London, the security apparatus, foreign policy consensus or that removes private sector involvement or market forces from a section of the economy.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1580459668081897473

https://twitter.com/NadineDorries/status/1580451148196040705

Ah Boris, I wonder what he's been up to? He's been awfully quiet lately

https://twitter.com/AlexPBWalker/status/1580488156075659264

Ah...

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

WTF? That's as bad as the fash stealing the OK sign, a cartoon frog and some other inocuous thing people do that I can't remember but was probably akin to the way some people (including self) say "Cheers!" as "Thank you" in shops etc.

We use the thumbs up a LOT at work. We've got outlook and if someone sends an information email or an email that's basically a 'just do it' and doesn't require a response, we use a thumbs up to indicate we've received and noted the contents (we're a very small org so just about everything is cc'd to everyone) rather than perpetuating an email chain.

Admittedly I could be wrong on account of my refusal to read a daily mail article, but I could almost guarantee that the original study was nowhere near as black and white as suggested in that headline.

Gen Z-ers perceiving a thumbs up emoji as passive aggressive or sarcastic isn't some new thing, I'm sure it would take most adults no serious effort at all to imagine a scenario in which they might give a physical thumbs up IRL as a gesture dripping with sarcasm. Sometimes a thumbs up means "that's great, thanks!" and sometimes it means "whatever you say idiot, gently caress off".

Because of generational shifts in language there's always going to be some drift over time which could cause confusion between people younger and older. Possibly young people use a thumbs up sarcastically more often (and as a result report that secondary meaning more often), but I doubt any young person who sees thumbs ups flying back and forth in an office context is going to fail to parse those as sincere. Heck, I've spoken to Gen-Zers in text format who definitely used a thumbs up earnestly.

Same as the last time this stuff came up I'll recommend Gretchen McCullough's book Because Internet for anyone who's interested in a pop science look at how casual text communication has changed in the last few decades.

EDIT: Lol not even a study, a reddit post haha gently caress me

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Oct 13, 2022

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Never knew this thumbsup business and I will now proceed to remove the knowledge from my brain 👍

Turning into

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I think it’s more subtle than that, thumbs up small and unobtrusive like when it’s a reaction to a MS Teams message is fine, but seeing a great honking 👍 on its own as a chat response can look kind of passive aggressive, depending on the context.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Just seems like 'short form text messages terrible for communicating subtext or non-verbal contextual information, part 438'

:thumbsup:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Re: the last couple of pages of voting chat — bit surprised nobody has mentioned the possibility of voting for one of the smaller but more definitively left-wing parties? I’m certainly not optimistic that change is possible within the current system but it seems to me that if it is, it’d be via a massive upset where the Green / NIP / whoever is cool these days take a large amount of seats and force Labour to recognise the fundamental demand for those policy positions or else get relegated to minor irrelevant party status.

Just in time for catastrophic climate change to wipe the whole thing away 😬👍🏻

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I use a single solitary thumbs up on teams all the time, and depending on the context it either means that’s perfect go ahead, no problem glad I could help, or fine whatever I’m not going to argue about it anymore because you’re a useless oval office.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

:thumbsup:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

TACD posted:

Re: the last couple of pages of voting chat — bit surprised nobody has mentioned the possibility of voting for one of the smaller but more definitively left-wing parties? I’m certainly not optimistic that change is possible within the current system but it seems to me that if it is, it’d be via a massive upset where the Green / NIP / whoever is cool these days take a large amount of seats and force Labour to recognise the fundamental demand for those policy positions or else get relegated to minor irrelevant party status.

I'd have thought the thing to do in every election if you're engaged with politics is to look at who the candidates for MP in your local constituency are, and what share of the vote their parties got last time. If you're one of the lucky few who actually have a worthwhile candidate to vote for, then by all means vote for them regardless of their chances - maybe they'll get in and you can feel good about that.

But for the vast majority of us we'll be voting for various flavours of poo poo, so now it's time to start weighing the "least bad" options. If there's a decent party who're standing but close to losing their deposit, maybe vote for them so that doesn't happen. If there's a poo poo non-tory candidate but they have a chance of beating the tory, maybe vote for them - not because you want the poo poo candidate, but because you want to reduce the power of a tory government.

"Vote Green no matter who" might be worth chanting as some kind of way of motivating low-information voters, but seems inferior to actually looking at the candidates and using what opportunities that affords you.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

"...I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by wokeism. Space!"

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/alexofbrown/status/1580496835105665025?s=46&t=JVOgzVGXtZVRN4zGALpdkA

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

TACD posted:

I think the first priority has to get the Tories out no matter what, followed by registering a vote for progressive policies/candidates. So really I think the constituency one lives in matters quite a bit.

1. Tory-[Labour/LibDem/SNP] marginal: vote for whichever party has the best chance at unseating or holding off the Tories
2. Safe seat of any flavour: vote your conscience, which may be Green, or if you’re lucky, a Labour candidate in the SCG

I live in an ultra-safe Labour seat and the MP is on the right of the party. I will likely vote Green.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Convex posted:

"...I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by wokeism. Space!"

That is Jeremy Beadle, not Tim Curry.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Halisnacks posted:

I think the first priority has to get the Tories out no matter what

and so the ratchet clicks round again

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Boris could get away with government by press release for a long time, 'cos shameless bullshitting is his key skill. Liz Truss is trying the same thing but she just can't manage it.

It's surprising just how bad she is at the mechanics of doing politics: her first moves, given the circumstances of her election, should have been to convey calmness and stability to the public, while building bridges with the various factions of Tory MPs who didn't vote for her and not try anything ambitious until she was sure she could command a majority in Parliament for it. Instead, she's just sprinted straight into a brick wall and is now acting all confused about what could possibly have happened. I guess she really is that dumb lol.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

VideoGames posted:

Oh good I was starting to doubt my own eyes

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Halisnacks posted:

I think the first priority has to get the Tories out no matter what

The problem being that now all three major parties in England are interchangeable, there is no way to get the Tories out. You only get to pick the colour of rosette worn by the neoliberal oval office who is wrecking everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

VideoGames posted:

:doh: