Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It's interesting how different players can have entirely different experiences of the game. I find the objective maps, even if they do have a couple critical chokepoints, to be a lot more dynamic and influenced by individual players' actions, while domination 90% of the time is just the team that gets the first objective basically just locks the other team in spawn and an individual player (who is not Barbatos and even then only sometimes) can do little to nothing to affect the match. This is playing only casual matches.

Also yeah payload would be good, but the payload should have some threatening area control to it. Not in the sense of just autotargeting death turrets sitting on top, but like a mobile armor or Destroy gundam firing big beams periodically that are dangers for both the attackers and defenders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Now is the time to mass produce Big Zam

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
lmao it's 8 days for tier seven of the beginner thing. Why on earth is it designed this badly.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
well on the bright side, the crafting mats don't require the 8 days. That's just for another supply pod ticket, since there's no more Beginner Challenges after this one.

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

I do wonder what they'll do once people start finishing the beginner challenge. My bet is nothing much like the non-repeatable ex-levels of the battlepass.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Domination is the best mode wth. Pretty much the only matches my stack have ever won are on it.

I had no clue there was an "he's/she's/they're on fire" mechanic in this game since I guess people had only barely had it on their portraits on the scoreboard so I didn't notice before. Stack mate and I were both fully "on fire" and we still ended up losing somehow.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

It's called Evo Time in this game

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ninjewtsu posted:

i do not understand melee zaku. my attacks do so very little damage, and yet i am killing everyone. how???

Because you are constantly attacking without ever having to stop to reload and you don't need to aim to hit close to 100% of all of your attacks because your attack hitboxes are the size of texas. Also many players' response to a melee zaku running into their face swinging wildly is to panic and try to open distance instead of fighting back, which means you get to rack up damage while they're panicking and win the damage trade.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Nuebot posted:

Love to have my team forget how to play once the clock ends and (literally) watch the enemy team go from 10% to 100% in overtime alone without ever setting foot on the point to take it back.

This happened to the other team twice last night. The second team had a member who went off, realized it, and couldn't flounder back in on time lol

Meanwhile Methuss again stay winning by just buzzing around like a dumb rear end in a top hat contesting until the team rejoins

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
a few nights ago I had a pretty frustrating experience with a team that refused to play the point in Domination; we had a really good Zaku II ranged who was consistently picking off the enemy backline and letting us win every 6v6 encounter, but every single time we capped half our team would see there was nobody in front of us, instantly make a beeline for their spawn, get mowed down 6v3 and end up out of phase with the rest of us until the point changed, which meant we'd end up losing about 20% for every 10% of progress we made

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Obviously you have to communicate with your team by not rolling the opposing force TOO much. Just make it so the randos aren’t scared to move forwards but not so much that they feel confident camping spawn :v:

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I feel like I should know this by now but I can't confirm it in the training range for some reason. When you kill a guy and get that clashing metal sound, is that 1) any time you contribute to a kill, 2) any time you hit the final blow, 3) any time you get a crit kill, 4) something else?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I actually hadn't been paying that close attention to it but I want to say that it plays whenever you get a final hit.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

got bored so heres a quick breakdown of suit representation so far

Gundam 0079: RX-78 Gundam, MS-06 Zaku II RGM-79 GM, RX-75 Guntank

Zeta Gundam: RMS-108 Marasai, NRX-044 Asshimar

Gundam Side Story: Missing Link: RX-80PR Pale Rider

War in the Pocket: RGM-79SP GM Sniper II

Char's Counterattack: MSN-04 Sazabi

Gundam Unicorn: RX-0 Gundam Unicorn

Gundam SEED Destiny: ZGMF-XX09T DOM Trooper

Turn-A Gundam: ∀99 ∀ Gundam, G-838 Mahiroo

Ironblooded Orphans: ASW-G-08 Gundam Barbatos

00 Gundam: GN-001 Gundam Exia

Weird Outlier: The Melee Zaku first appeared exclusively in the toyline as Dozle Zabi's Custom Zaku II, however royal guard zakus with extremely similar appearances appear as generic grunts in Gundam Thunderbolt: Bandit Flower. They had duller yellows, like the one in this game, but they also lacked the extra spikes that Dozle's had and which the one in this game has. The conclusion is that this game's melee Zaku seems to be a mishmash of Dozle's Zaku and the Royal Guard Zakus, so I'm not sure which to label it as or if that counts as Thunderbolt representation.

Mainline gundams unrepresented: ZZ Gundam, Victory Gundam, G Gundam, Gundam Wing, Gundam X, Gundam AGE, Reconguista in G, Witch from Mercury
Notable spinoffs/movies/OVAs unrepresented: 08th MS Team, 0083 Stardust Memory, Gundam F91, Gundam Crossbone, Blue Destiny, Gundam SEED Astray, Gundam SEED Stargazer, Narrative, Hathaway's Flash, any of the Build Fighters/Build Divers line

funfact: Turn-A is the only non UC thing to have more than one suit in the game. And if you wanna count it as UC then literally no non-UC thing has more than one rep.

Conclusion: i want the dragon mech from AGE

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oh, the Marasai is noted as being specifically the version seen in Unicorn. That's the work where it's depicted using a stun grappling hook. Gundam wiki says both the Fedayeen Rifle and the Sea Serpent hook were probably salvaged from Hambrabis.

The Methuss does count as a Zeta suit, however.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Runa posted:

Oh, the Marasai is noted as being specifically the version seen in Unicorn. That's the work where it's depicted using a stun grappling hook. Gundam wiki says both the Fedayeen Rifle and the Sea Serpent hook were probably salvaged from Hambrabis.

The Methuss does count as a Zeta suit, however.
oh, you're right, the in-game description has the [UC] tag and they mention it being used by the zeon remnants. I guess it's from the attack on Torrington.

When will they add the Zogok?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Endorph posted:

oh, you're right, the in-game description has the [UC] tag and they mention it being used by the zeon remnants. I guess it's from the attack on Torrington.

When will they add the Zogok?

Not nearly soon enough

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Man, it is depressing when the skill gap in a string of games is impossible to close so it's not just a blowout series of losses, but the enemy team is so much better than yours that quitting would have legit been more productive.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I had a match a couple nights ago in solo queue where my team was so bad on Thermal Plant they were getting trapped in spawn for like three straight minutes.

After a bit of bitter griping at them from my teammates, and the expected mockery from the other side, in the last half minute I just kind of gave up and didn't bother leaving to try to contest any points. Instead I just walked out of spawn, stood next to the other team, and stared at my team still in the spawn.

Some of the other team turned to look at me but not a single one of them took a shot, instead they just turned back towards the people in the spawn and kept shooting at them for the last ten seconds on the timer.

It was a funny ending to what had up to that point been a very frustrating match.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin
I had a team stomp the enemy our first round last night. A guy on our team then disconnected. We proceeded to stomp them 5v6.

So yes, I agree skill gap is definitely a thing.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I feel like I should know this by now but I can't confirm it in the training range for some reason. When you kill a guy and get that clashing metal sound, is that 1) any time you contribute to a kill, 2) any time you hit the final blow, 3) any time you get a crit kill, 4) something else?

Want to say it's landing the final blow.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin
IME getting a crit kill makes a slightly different noise. I was aware of this thanks to my get 5 crit kills weekly. (which was easily done with the Zaku2R)

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
What I really love is when like... your team just suddenly clicks well out of nowhere. Like playing domination and getting destroyed in the first round and then suddenly youre the ones stomping despite not changing your comp at all or even talking about what to do different. Stuff like that is one of my top tier gamer moments.

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Buschmaki posted:

What I really love is when like... your team just suddenly clicks well out of nowhere. Like playing domination and getting destroyed in the first round and then suddenly youre the ones stomping despite not changing your comp at all or even talking about what to do different. Stuff like that is one of my top tier gamer moments.

It's the worst when you're on the other side of this

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
This games meta is shaping up to be Exia, Melee Zaku, barbados, pale rider, unicorn and its so drat boring. Melee units were a mistake.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Kwolok posted:

This games meta is shaping up to be Exia, Melee Zaku, barbados, pale rider, unicorn and its so drat boring. Melee units were a mistake.

I don't think I have a problem with the melee units except that Zaku's ult is so insane that any clown can put up numbers with it. I at least suspect that melee in general will get a little worse as players learn to look for it and improve their aim. Sure hope so anyway.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I don't think I have a problem with the melee units except that Zaku's ult is so insane that any clown can put up numbers with it. I at least suspect that melee in general will get a little worse as players learn to look for it and improve their aim. Sure hope so anyway.

I mean you can only aim so well when Exia has 7 dashes. I still think Exia should at least have similar falloff to everyone else with its daggers. Probably won't affect its dominance all that much, but it really doesn't need to be hitting quite so hard at range. And yeah melee zaku ult is a bit nuts.

Probably the larger issue is there aren't really great counters to melee units that wouldn't be more oppressive to others. Like if you put in something that slows down Exia, everyone else is going to eat it worse.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
The counter to melee is literally melee and its dumb.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Endorph posted:

Conclusion: i want the dragon mech from AGE

Surprise addition that no one saw coming: Knight and Musha Gundams. Bonus points if they're in the SD forms lol

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
Turn A and Marasai are pretty good at dunking on melee

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Turn A in particular can judo throw the melee gundam out of his ult and can gently caress up exia and barbatos with the same if they decide to get close and try to commit.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
My desired suits for next season are Aerial and Tallgeese.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

timing a grapple onto a bold zaku invuln is pretty funny. i don't think its a counter really but it is funny.

i think dom's mines do a disappointing job discouraging diving. they could do more damage.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

MonsterEnvy posted:

My desired suits for next season are Aerial and Tallgeese.

I want one of da fat boys like the Kapool or Juaggu

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

You know, after 3 matches that end immediately due to disconnects or leavers and a fourth where we have one mid first round on my team, I think I'm just not going to play tonight.

I don't know if this is connection problems on their end or actual leavers, but I hope it gets fixed soon.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I had a match yesterday night where the enemy team was carried brutally hard by their Exia. Our whole team would focus fire them the instant they showed up and it made no difference at all in our ability to kill them. After being held for the full timer, and one of the people on our team bitched about Exia being OP the player switched to Barbatos and we easily won on defense. The Exia has far too many dashes.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Exia's dashes can be a pain, but half of its attacks require it to sit still for like a whole second. More than long enough to plug it in the face and take it down. Just personally speaking: Exia is by far the melee suit that kills me the least almost solely because of how often it just kind of has to stop to wind up and then gets dumpstered by even my poo poo tier ability.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Nuebot posted:

Exia's dashes can be a pain, but half of its attacks require it to sit still for like a whole second. More than long enough to plug it in the face and take it down. Just personally speaking: Exia is by far the melee suit that kills me the least almost solely because of how often it just kind of has to stop to wind up and then gets dumpstered by even my poo poo tier ability.

I agree, 90% of the time (more), Exia are no more threatening than any other suit, but a high skill one is way worse than a high skill gm or something. Still less bad than snipers though.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i've never really fought an exia and felt like anything they do is unfair or too powerful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I've only fought two very good Exias where I thought, oh, oh this is impossible for me or my team to deal with.