Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Essentially gatelocking them, and then setting up salvage you can turn that frown into a smile. also, If you have the Terran addon installed, De-Xenoning that corridor can be very useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Thanks for all the tips but I have to be honest, I downloaded the cheat menu and set all my ships to invincible and destroyed all their shipyards. Really hope that's the last of them, they are just so annoying with the infinite spawning.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, random question: If I take out all the Scale Plate stations in a corner of space (e.g. the Silent Witness sectors), will they be gone from that area, or will they just spring up in the sector with new stations out of nowhere, after a while?
Since if I can actually wipe out their presence in the more central 'fringe'/ownerless sectors, I think I might make that a pet project. Get 'em out of my hair and make trade in my local area a bit safer at the same time, while maybe getting some bounty money here and there

EDIT: Oh also, are Terran MREs and medicine particularly profitable, btw? They have a bunch of tiny factories for them, but they don't seem very productive, so I'm wondering if it would be a market worth investing in. If not, I'll just stick to refined goods and eventually invest in comp substrate, as that seems like a money-maker (even more so than the terran silicon product that I'm selling! No matter how much I make, I sell it in short order)

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Nov 17, 2022

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Major Isoor posted:

Hey, random question: If I take out all the Scale Plate stations in a corner of space (e.g. the Silent Witness sectors), will they be gone from that area, or will they just spring up in the sector with new stations out of nowhere, after a while?
Since if I can actually wipe out their presence in the more central 'fringe'/ownerless sectors, I think I might make that a pet project. Get 'em out of my hair and make trade in my local area a bit safer at the same time, while maybe getting some bounty money here and there

EDIT: Oh also, are Terran MREs and medicine particularly profitable, btw? They have a bunch of tiny factories for them, but they don't seem very productive, so I'm wondering if it would be a market worth investing in. If not, I'll just stick to refined goods and eventually invest in comp substrate, as that seems like a money-maker (even more so than the terran silicon product that I'm selling! No matter how much I make, I sell it in short order)

I wouldn't say Terran MREs and Medicines are super profitable but they're still the first station production chain I'll build in Mars ( supplied with ecells from Mercury and gas + ice mined from Asteroid Belt ). You have an available workforce with which to improve the efficiency of your station as you add habitats and it requires less production resources and capital expenses than Carbides, Microlattice and Substrates. It's been a while since I've last played so I cant recall the exact ratios of Protein Paste factories to MREs and Medicines but you'll have no shortage of customers for your products, and the easiest production chain to get rolling. You'll also end up feeding your more profitable stations later down the track. By comparison, Substrates require a crazy amount of capital ( and worker population to maximise efficiency ) to really kick off.

ZombyDog fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Nov 17, 2022

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

TjyvTompa posted:

Thanks for all the tips but I have to be honest, I downloaded the cheat menu and set all my ships to invincible and destroyed all their shipyards. Really hope that's the last of them, they are just so annoying with the infinite spawning.

The economy is based around ship production (or habitat consumption but that's a lot smaller.) and factions attempt to replace their ships and push up to a cap, the xenon being spawn happy is so they can blow up things to keep the economy going. Deleting them outright - assuming you haven't instigated the various other conflicts that can happen and even then those remain even - means the economy will go kind of inert at some point. It's the formal "I win" button.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

ZombyDog posted:

I wouldn't say Terran MREs and Medicines are super profitable but they're still the first station production chain I'll build in Mars ( supplied with ecells from Mercury and gas + ice mined from Asteroid Belt ). You have an available workforce with which to improve the efficiency of your station as you add habitats and it requires less production resources and capital expenses than Carbides, Microlattice and Substrates. It's been a while since I've last played so I cant recall the exact ratios of Protein Paste factories to MREs and Medicines but you'll have no shortage of customers for your products, and the easiest production chain to get rolling. You'll also end up feeding your more profitable stations later down the track. By comparison, Substrates require a crazy amount of capital ( and worker population to maximise efficiency ) to really kick off.

Hmm, yeah sounds fair. Since it also takes habitats a while to fill up anyway I guess, so I might as well get the MRE+meds complex up and running ASAP (with their own habs to fill up, that is) so that they can start cranking out the good stuff ASAP.
Unless there's a distinct reason why to build in Mars though, I think I'll probably build in Saturn I for convenience, as that's where my refinery is. But otherwise yeah, sounds like a plan! (Plus eventually kha'ak will start dropping in as commerce flourishes in the area, right? That way I could have a destroyer patrol a tiny patch around the stations)

Also, I checked the station builder and there actually aren't many modules required for Terran MREs and meds, which is convenient! This is the station I have planned now, aside from stuff like storage and docks, etc. Do you think that's enough for several large habitats of my own, with plenty left to sell? Or do you think more is needed?

Gamerofthegame posted:

The economy is based around ship production (or habitat consumption but that's a lot smaller.) and factions attempt to replace their ships and push up to a cap, the xenon being spawn happy is so they can blow up things to keep the economy going. Deleting them outright - assuming you haven't instigated the various other conflicts that can happen and even then those remain even - means the economy will go kind of inert at some point. It's the formal "I win" button.

Yeah, this. You actually don't want the xenon to go away - not completely, anyway. Same with the HOP vs PAR civil war too I guess, to a lesser extent.
e.g. The extent of my anti-xenon plans is to contain the Hatikvah's Choice gate into Tharka's Cascade, then eventually clear the xenon out of that area so I can liberate the Yaki, although that's not exactly a priority. Just getting a fort built around the gate will be enough for me, really.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
X4 is a war profiteering game, and that is loving text. You really don't want peace, you just want to heavily police your production areas and trade routes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I do wish there were more civlian resource sinks. Like research facilities that might produce rare upgrades, or expeditionary stations that send fleets off the edge of the sector and might bring back interesting stuff or possibly a pile of xenon.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I do wish there were more civlian resource sinks. Like research facilities that might produce rare upgrades, or expeditionary stations that send fleets off the edge of the sector and might bring back interesting stuff or possibly a pile of xenon.

Yeah, same. :( Even just small civilian stations that are little more than giant apartment blocks, that consume food, medicine and maybe some generic 'consumer technology' ware. The benefits of the stations could be a slight increase for the workforce availability percentage/modifier of the sector, meaning new production stations with habitats (plus shipyards etc) will fill up with manpower faster, as they have these civilian housing stations within the sector

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
it does make things simple and accessible and not like some modded openttd web at least

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Even if you just used some of the interim components as consumed goods for stations rather than all ultimately just feeding into military shipbuilding would be nice.

Would also like alternate production methods from some of the raw resources, like if you don't have helium you can fuse hydrogen into it and also make ecells.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I'm interested in getting into X4 but as usual, the complexity is a bit much. I remember what got me into X3 was a goon posted a set of objectives that newcomers could follow and familiarize them with the different game mechanics, ships, and give a general outline of the first 50-60 hours of play. Has anyone written something like that for X4? If so, could we get it into the OP?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
X4 is actually a lot more intuitive to pick up than X3. I never really understood much of 3 and kind of gave up before even getting to the point where I might build my own stations, but was able to get into 4 pretty easily by just following the introductory tutorials and then using that as a springboard to figure out what I should be doing in general. Are there any specific points that are tripping you up?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
The biggest things is "what should I do next and what are some things I should avoid?" The last time I tried to get into X4 was 3 years ago before the 3.0 patch and I kept getting tripped up by trying to do missions assigned at stations that ended up being sort of unfun and not paying well. If a lot of this stuff has been cleared up, I can just try jumping in and trying to dust off my knowledge of all the weird X trappings like the odd ship classification system.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah X4 is a lot easier I think. Broadly my suggestion is to use the economy system and start from the bottom up, so buy a mining ship and set it to supply a safe sector with mineables and some stations that use them. Then from there you can expand your fleet to more miners, consider building your own refinery station etc. Once you have a station consider adding further production steps that use your products to make more complex products, each production step adds value to the end commodity and each consumed resource you can supply yourself will reduce your costs. Adding crew to the station increases the efficiency of each production step, so a well staffed station with high vertical integration will produce a lot of added value for each production step.

Beyond that you can just doss about the world and do things you like. Pick fights, do plots, do missions, build more infrastructure, plot to take over sectors if you like, it's all up to you.

E: missions I would say are still not really the big money makers, because they demand your time and attention as the player. The real way to build power in the world is economically and getting the AI ships to do as much work as possible for you. The missions are more, I think, something to give you a little bit of a push to fly around the world yourself and see the sights. They can give you some OK cash early on, but the real money comes from the brutal reality of space capitalism :v:

I would say if you don't enjoy playing with the tools and setting your own goals you might not really enjoy the game, as most of the fun I think comes from seeing number go up and building cool looking space stations and setting up industry chains, and doing all of that inside the X universe as it stands. The games have always mostly just treated the plots as something to put your resources into and X4 is not an exception in that regard.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 30, 2022

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

E: missions I would say are still not really the big money makers, because they demand your time and attention as the player. The real way to build power in the world is economically and getting the AI ships to do as much work as possible for you. The missions are more, I think, something to give you a little bit of a push to fly around the world yourself and see the sights. They can give you some OK cash early on, but the real money comes from the brutal reality of space capitalism :v:

Yep, this - 100%. Most of the missions/job postings are actually rubbish, and are not worth your time for the money you get. I still keep an eye out though, and pick up all the "kill X amount of xenon/kha'ak/scale plate ships" missions I find though, as those three factions are hostile to everyone, plus you and your employees (since you don't need to kill them, personally) end up killing thousands throughout the course of the game anyway, so they're basically just free money.
Also, once you get several million and have started building stations of your own, it can be worth keeping an eye out for station build missions, using blueprints you already own. (or mostly own, at minimum) Since then you can just sink the cash for the station, let it build and get like, x1.5 the amount you invested back. But that's only something I'd do if I didn't need that money for something else.

But yeah, otherwise I'd definitely get a couple of Drill miners (I think? They're the medium Argon mineral miners) and get them mining silicon in Argon Prime and... whatever that mineral-filled Hatikvah's Choice sector is, afterwards. They'll make you good money, until you can build your own silicon refinery (then get some more miners as subordinates to the factory itself) and it'll just churn out money, for you to expand your industry with.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah I also take those missions, because yeah you're killing them anyway so you might as well get money for it. And yes station builder missions can be quite lucrative because they require a big capital investment and you get paid a markup on that investment, so you can multiply big piles of cash with it and potentially use your own building supplies too if you're producing them, so they're a way to sell your own product at a big markup basically.

I would honestly say the game is more a space capitalism simulator than anything else, it's about amassing power and integrating yourself into the military industrial complex of various space countries and expending huge amounts of resources to start wars so you can stimulate the demand for military shipbuilding, which is what you make all your money doing, and occasionally you do an elon musk and spend a stupid amount of money on some dumb boondoggle like "I am going to conquer the xenon sectors and turn them into my personal hideout because I can"

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

IIRC, in x2 and x3 I spent a lot more time bumming around in a single ship while upgrading it and occasionally getting a new ship than I ever did in x4. X4 seems intent on launching you into a corporate career as fast as possible, and while a friendlier game overall in most respects it does mean you get dropped into the deep end of trying to understand the economy much more quickly.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah the early stage of the game is much shorter, which I both like and don't. I found trying to transition into the economy in X3 very painful, especially if you spend a fortune on a station which proves unprofitable, wheras X4 has both a lower barrier of entry with mining ships and station costs, and also mining is a primary resource extraction which incurs no running cost so it is more a matter of how quickly you can make money than whether it is possible at all.

On the other hand I feel that the individual ship game is a bit weaker than X3, not a huge fan of the transition to universal gun mounts and simply having more guns = better, and ships in general feel slower and less specialized.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
This is good stuff to know and I’ll give it another spin. Building big weird complexes in X3 was pretty fun.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you like the economic aspect of the game then I think X4 is a big improvement because the economy is fully simulated, it all feeds into shipbuilding, so when a ship is destroyed it will need to be replaced and that requires all the components you make with industry, thus depending on who you supply and where, the progress of various conflicts will change as factions can more easily replace their ships.

It can lead to economic slowdown if there is no conflict, and factions like the split are very prone to collapse because their resources tend to get cut off early on and they can't recover, but on the whole it works remarkably well for the scale of the simulation.

The station designer is vastly improved in X4 and they also added the ability to rotate modules in multiple axes so you should be able to build some very cool designs if you want to take the time.

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

I would say the only necessary mission you should do as soon as possible is the main story plot to eventually get your own base for free essentially which leads to setting up the research function that further leads you to acquiring blueprints through EMPs. Being able to get all the production blueprints essentially for free will give you a huge boost into starting those building station type missions as well as starting your plunge into the space capitalism game.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes, and also teleportation is basically a key game mechanic and I wish it wasn't gated off by that.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Baba Oh Really posted:

I would say the only necessary mission you should do as soon as possible is the main story plot to eventually get your own base for free essentially which leads to setting up the research function that further leads you to acquiring blueprints through EMPs. Being able to get all the production blueprints essentially for free will give you a huge boost into starting those building station type missions as well as starting your plunge into the space capitalism game.

Well it damages your reputation, and you can't get some of them like wharf/shipyard, but it definitely saves you hundreds of millions of credits in blueprints.
Faction storylines are also gated by that, so IMO it's a good idea to do the HQ as early as possible.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Pyromancer posted:

Well it damages your reputation, and you can't get some of them like wharf/shipyard, but it definitely saves you hundreds of millions of credits in blueprints.
Faction storylines are also gated by that, so IMO it's a good idea to do the HQ as early as possible.

Lil' cheat sheet: place em in the suit, detonate them in the ship. no rep loss that way.

Egosoft also published their recent survey results:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/392160/view/3566313217015648923

I'm mostly surprised at how many people want multiplayer or are satisfied with the performance of the game.

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
I don't see the problem with that? :shrug:

Game runs very well on my end, granted I did just upgrade my cpu. As for multiplayer I would personally love a small scale coop server with friends commanding the same faction, or even possibly a pvp faction v faction, sort of like leading an eve online corp but without the space job / corralling pubs.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7FQDbFts9E

Boso seems to be getting a remodel. Wonder whatever that could possibly mean? :science:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I thought Tides of Avarice was gonna be the final DLC?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They said they were going to do another one a while ago.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
drat, nice. So the borons finally will be back, thats nice. I bought tides but haven't played since it released, gonna wait until the dlc release in april then for another big run.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I think the game runs pretty well considering what it is doing in the background every tick.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I missed the video post, I wonder how Boron's will look.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Lamquin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7FQDbFts9E

Boso seems to be getting a remodel. Wonder whatever that could possibly mean? :science:

Obligatory https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi1M747Iw48

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
Reveal video/teaser for the expansion on Friday. They didn't want to announce it without having something to show.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
That's incredibly exciting. I love X4, but it always felt off to me without the Boron.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Boron ships and stations are an amazing challenge now that you can go into every ship and station, not to mention the boron will need to be able to move around, too.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Mokotow posted:

Boron ships and stations are an amazing challenge now that you can go into every ship and station, not to mention the boron will need to be able to move around, too.

We'd better be able to replicate that Berlin aquarium disaster, either in base game or via a mod.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Mokotow posted:

Just make airsuits/aquasuits, simple enough.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Mokotow posted:

I mean I'd kind of assume that they'd basically be set up like an aquarium but in reverse, right? They build most of the station for themselves and then a small subset of walkable platforms to interact with the walking visitors?

Which, also to be fair, it's not like stations in X4 right now aren't "a small subset" of areas the player can actually access, compared to what the actual volume of the stations themselves would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Actually, it'll be a Subnautica crossover. You get stranded in Kindom's End.