Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

edit: I like the org that's a video game developer that for some reason gives councilors the Assault Alien Asset mission:

Like, I have one councilor assaulting alien assets with Seal Team Six, and another assaulting them with a game developer.

I looked it up and it's a store that sells board games and models and presumably was a backer on kickstarter, but before I googled it I assumed it was supposed to be a reality tv show sponsored by the soft drink where contestants compete with each other to see who can flamethrower the most alien shrubs or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Now I have a new problem though... there's an alien agent running around in Russia blowing up MC points and I can't spot it. If I could, it would be very dead, but nothing shows up in the list of agents and even blanketing the region with surveilance missions hasn't turned up anything.

Any suggestions?

RED TEXT BIG GUN
Sep 1, 2001

Taco Defender

RED TEXT BIG GUN posted:

I'm at end of 2043. The aliens sort of hosed off after a game patch so I might restart, yet again, instead of slog through enough turns in ezmode to get a victory.

Aliens came and bopped my Earth shipyard orbital with my all-in-one-basket fleet. Then bopped the other orbital I started to replace it. Then dropped 4-5 UFOs (?) and showed up in Beijing with 13 robot armies. I technically survived but f it gonna restart.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Warmachine posted:

Now I have a new problem though... there's an alien agent running around in Russia blowing up MC points and I can't spot it. If I could, it would be very dead, but nothing shows up in the list of agents and even blanketing the region with surveilance missions hasn't turned up anything.

Any suggestions?

Do you have xenology labs in LEO? Are you over your MC cap?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

There's also research for detecting alien agents.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Tehan posted:

I looked it up and it's a store that sells board games and models and presumably was a backer on kickstarter, but before I googled it I assumed it was supposed to be a reality tv show sponsored by the soft drink where contestants compete with each other to see who can flamethrower the most alien shrubs or whatever.
That owns, I've been imagining that they were from some quirky indie comedy about game store employees fighting off an alien invasion but an actual real life wargaming store is even better

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
Even though I'm baffled by major systems, I simply can't stop playing this game. I'm sorta doing stuff now just because I have seen tips that say things like "colonize mercury", I don't know why, just seen people saying it, so I'm teching up to the inner planets and going for anything that will put habs down there faster than the other factions. I often have no idea what I'm doing but it's so compelling.

I can't shut up about it either, my friends are starting to avoid me.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Magil Zeal posted:

Do you have xenology labs in LEO? Are you over your MC cap?

Private Speech posted:

There's also research for detecting alien agents.

Yes, no, and I've done all the xenology techs up to The Choke Point and Security Accountability Chaining with the exception of Megafauna Necropsy (which is a waste of time as far as I can tell given my squeaky clean Earth in 2041)

My current theory is that it's got 25 espionage, and the alien bonus is basically making it invisible because I can't overcap on detection.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
Does the resistance get bonuses in the US? They are consistently gaining CP's despite the fact I've had my popular support in the high 80's while I wait for my own CP to free up.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Warmachine posted:

Yes, no, and I've done all the xenology techs up to The Choke Point and Security Accountability Chaining with the exception of Megafauna Necropsy (which is a waste of time as far as I can tell given my squeaky clean Earth in 2041)

My current theory is that it's got 25 espionage, and the alien bonus is basically making it invisible because I can't overcap on detection.

You may want to consider just spamming surveil area missions where you suspect the alien agent is. They don’t do much globetrotting in my experience so narrowing down where it is should be pretty easy if you have an idea on where to start.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Zikan posted:

You may want to consider just spamming surveil area missions where you suspect the alien agent is. They don’t do much globetrotting in my experience so narrowing down where it is should be pretty easy if you have an idea on where to start.

Based on what I've seen, the "first wave" agents that arrive before your first UFO/armies landing will only move one region at a time. But after that point, the "second wave" can move around the whole world like any other agent.

BlueDiablo
Aug 15, 2001

Slippery when sexy!
So, uh, I got to the end of the tech tree and the game immediately crashes every time. Guess I'll put 0% research into that one garbage tech I was avoiding all game after I got to antimatter poo poo. :sigh:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Warmachine posted:

Megafauna Necropsy unlocks a bunch of useful faction projects FYI.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

OscarDiggs posted:

Does the resistance get bonuses in the US? They are consistently gaining CP's despite the fact I've had my popular support in the high 80's while I wait for my own CP to free up.

How much over your CP cap are you? Anything past +20, and especially if you're at 0 influence, just lets other factions steal impossibly defended control points for free.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!

Blorange posted:

How much over your CP cap are you? Anything past +20, and especially if you're at 0 influence, just lets other factions steal impossibly defended control points for free.

The CP's were empty, I just had 2 agents permanently upping support there. I had a lot of European counties coming up to unify and was going to wait until after I had some points freed up. I didn't know about the cap maluses though.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'm at kind of a slow point in my 2027 Resistance game. I have solid control of a good number of nations and have Mars locked up and my space resource stockpile is growing nicely. What's some effective stuff I should be trying on Earth while I'm grinding my way through the tech tree to shipyards and T2 modules? I thought about trying to kill off some enemy counsellors or something but it seems difficult to do anything against them since I need to spend a 'turn' identifying them and then they almost immediately leave the turn after.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

If councilors spend turns going to ground then that's a turn of them not doing anything else. Haranguing councilors is a fun way to pass time.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Pierson posted:

I'm at kind of a slow point in my 2027 Resistance game. I have solid control of a good number of nations and have Mars locked up and my space resource stockpile is growing nicely. What's some effective stuff I should be trying on Earth while I'm grinding my way through the tech tree to shipyards and T2 modules? I thought about trying to kill off some enemy counsellors or something but it seems difficult to do anything against them since I need to spend a 'turn' identifying them and then they almost immediately leave the turn after.

Might also be worth it to investigate and inspire your own councilors up to shore up loyalty, and maybe look for easy coup targets (you can abandon the points afterward if you don't have the cap to hold them).

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Even though I'm baffled by major systems, I simply can't stop playing this game. I'm sorta doing stuff now just because I have seen tips that say things like "colonize mercury", I don't know why, just seen people saying it, so I'm teching up to the inner planets and going for anything that will put habs down there faster than the other factions. I often have no idea what I'm doing but it's so compelling.

I can't shut up about it either, my friends are starting to avoid me.

proposal: a game for "responsible government" and "saving earth"

reality: a man falls through the earth and into parisian catacombs. taking a torch from the wall he spies row upon row of skeletons. grasping the nearest by the shoulders, he shakes it madly, yelling "my dude have u tried colonizing mercury"

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Somehow I hit some hotkey or something and it pulled up a menu on the right-hand side (where the assets menu usually is) that listed all available missions targeting a selected nation. But I clicked away from that nation and it was gone and now I can't figure out how to do it again, anyone know what hotkey that is?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Colonizing Mercury is obviously useful for the abundant solar power with which to run supercolliders to accumulate antimatter so you can make use of best drive "Pion Torch"

It costs 400,000 cash units to run this engine for 12 seconds

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Chaining together councilor actions appears to be very effective. I took over a hardened USA CP by murdering a councilor, detaining another (both to try and put that faction over the control cap), cracking down the point, all in a single phase.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Yeah getting a feel for what order the different actions trigger in can let you do some great stuff. For instance, detain makes assassinate easier and always triggers first :evilbuddy:

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

BattleMaster posted:

proposal: a game for "responsible government" and "saving earth"

reality: a man falls through the earth and into parisian catacombs. taking a torch from the wall he spies row upon row of skeletons. grasping the nearest by the shoulders, he shakes it madly, yelling "my dude have u tried colonizing mercury"

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

BattleMaster posted:

* Lots of information about drive tech *

I want to add that if you want to colonize Jupiter early, rushing to Gas Fission drives is pretty good. Burner drives have the dV to move from moon to moon, and the Fission Frag drive it also unlocks has the fuel efficiency (*for a lot of fissiles*) to get a colony ship out there in under a year.

They unlocked comically late for my run, but the Firestars will enable even destroyer size ships to dodge incoming shots with ease, they just don't have the fuel to make interplanetary trips cheaply.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

deep dish peat moss posted:

Somehow I hit some hotkey or something and it pulled up a menu on the right-hand side (where the assets menu usually is) that listed all available missions targeting a selected nation. But I clicked away from that nation and it was gone and now I can't figure out how to do it again, anyone know what hotkey that is?

I know if you right click on alien lifeforms it will bring up a list of the success chances for all of your assault capable agents, I suspect it works similarly for other actions though im not 100%. Try right clicking a control point or enemy agent on the map.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Blorange posted:

I want to add that if you want to colonize Jupiter early, rushing to Gas Fission drives is pretty good. Burner drives have the dV to move from moon to moon, and the Fission Frag drive it also unlocks has the fuel efficiency (*for a lot of fissiles*) to get a colony ship out there in under a year.

They unlocked comically late for my run, but the Firestars will enable even destroyer size ships to dodge incoming shots with ease, they just don't have the fuel to make interplanetary trips cheaply.

Yeah in one of my earlier games I rushed to Firestars and I was not disappointed, although I was never able to figure out how to properly use the mobility. They're the easiest to research option that gives you the ability to have 4 g combat acceleration while having an actual useful delta-v.

I skipped fission entirely this game and just did creeping walls of death, but these Pion Torch/Antimatter Torpedo strategic bombers have given me a real appreciation for what you can do with 4 g in combat. I've had one of them beat several Servant ship solo, because I didn't want to leave the asteroid it had sterilized with some ships left behind.

Essentially the same ship configuration that I posted earlier could be pulled off far earlier with nuclear torpedoes and a Firestar. You wouldn't be able to have it go on a grand tour of enemy assets across the asteroid belt but it could threaten larger ships and larger forces in small numbers. Because projectiles inherit your speed upon firing but torpedoes have poor maneuverability, you can accelerate, fling one at a high speed, and peel off to avoid counterattack.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Sarrisan posted:

I know if you right click on alien lifeforms it will bring up a list of the success chances for all of your assault capable agents, I suspect it works similarly for other actions though im not 100%. Try right clicking a control point or enemy agent on the map.

Ahhh thanks, that is indeed the right menu but it looks like it only works on agents, not nations/control points :(

Tim Pawlenty
Jun 3, 2006

BattleMaster posted:

I can now confirm that antimatter torpedoes kill ground habs faster than mass lasers

edit: As in it confirms destruction before you even unpause the game. Also I did a driveby on a station defense system and the explosions from these things are loving badass and luckily don't hurt the user even though they're huge

If you want to kill ground habs just use marines. They bypass the defenses and destroy the hab. It really makes a mockery of their heavily fortified ones.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

How do you get NAP to show up as an option when contacting other factions?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I've been getting an absolute ton of "loose packet" events lately. Is this something that can be caused by sabotage? I ham under my MC cap by about 150 so it isn't that.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Exodous really suck imo. Almost as bad as the Servants.

Still, I signed a NAP with them in my resistance game because everybody else is "In Conflict" with me for some reason and I'd like at least one faction that's not trying to hunt down my councilors.

"We need to leave the planet to escape the aliens. By 'We' I mean me and my billionare friends. The rest of you are hosed. Cya." -Khalid Al-Ashgar Last remarks before boarding the Ark

I thought it was a little suspicious that their default country focus is actively harmful to economic development...

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

gently caress you Khalid, I've instated utopian communism in most places in the world and global warming is being reversed

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Bloody Pom posted:

I thought it was a little suspicious that their default country focus is actively harmful to economic development...

Ever faction except the Servants has Spoils as default. And the Servants have nukes as default.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Servetus posted:

Ever faction except the Servants has Spoils as default. And the Servants have nukes as default.

Look sometimes you just have to drain resource rich countries to pay for building up your pet country.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
I run spoils in everything except my major countries. Not sure if that's the best move long term, but short term... well, the money to fund Kenya's space program has to come from somewhere.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

BattleMaster posted:

I've been getting an absolute ton of "loose packet" events lately. Is this something that can be caused by sabotage? I ham under my MC cap by about 150 so it isn't that.

I don't think so. It has an escalating chance to occur, zero global cooldown, and the chance drops by a bunch when it procs. I think you are just unlucky, unless you've ticked your 'HabSupportFailureLevel' up (kicks up the target weight) and I have no idea what that actually is.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I liberated the Earth decades ago starting from nearly everything but Europe and 64% of the population under alien control. I didn't have the resources to manage every country I liberated so I let whoever grab them. When I finished the Caliphate and went to form the United States of North America, Pan-Asian Combine, South American Union, and Republic of the Southern Cross, most of the constituent countries had GDP per capitas of several hundred dollars and maximum unrest because the other factions just looted them instead of building something sustainable.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Resistance generals desperately googling "how 2 space battle" "who is delta vee" when my first-ever human fleet gets blasted in seconds by laser beams.

Is the ship auto-builder any good for my first fleets of basic crap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Transform Phages and Genies are...extremely underwhelming given how expensive they are.