Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

teagone posted:

Seagull said a few days ago most GM/T500 players he knew were placing low-to-mid master/high diamond.

This makes sense, i heard lower but tbh my tank last placed at rank 200 or so and my support/dps were like, low gm at best.

Bottom Liner posted:

can we talk about how loving bad the names soldier and sojourn are to have to distinguish in voice chat?

My old team just call's Sojourn "Mewtwo" and now its starting to stick with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

does that mean s76 is mew

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

No he's Rhydon

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

then sigma is conkledurr

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Sigma is clearly kadabra

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Hargrimm posted:

Fighting games are a very different beast. They take place on essentially a 2D plane where both players have perfect information about everything, can always see the other character, and are 100% focused on the 1v1 and nothing else. "Reacting" in a fighting game is performing a single rote muscle-memory input while already facing the enemy and only having 1 dimension of spacing to think about.

Reacting to a Sombra hack, by comparison, involves having to interrupt the healing you are almost certainly actively focused on at the time, rotate around somewhere between 90 and 180 degrees, acquire the Sombra as a target at an unknown distance and height in fully 3D space, aim appropriately with the necessary lead time depending on which direction you observe her moving (since most supports have projectile weapons) and then fire and have the projectile hit. ALL that within less than .65 second. Not very achievable to the majority of players.

I'm trash at shooters, and I've gotten past the celestial challenge in GGST: last night, I had a Sombra that killed me, as Mercy, like 15 times per point as soon as I got out of the spawn room. At first, she simply surprised me, then I tried getting out of the spawn room with my gun out, then I started pinging her every time she killed me, tried to wait for other players to respawn with me, and, finally, I gave up. We weren't able to stop her in any way.
Killcam showed she was standing still, invisible, next to the spawn room exit, waiting to single out anyone who got out.

I didn't even attempt switching characters, I had no idea how to duel her. That's one of the cases where I have to patiently wait until the game is over and take the L.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

So you basically threw?

If you're literally against changing chars, you could always wait for someone else to respawn and go out with them.

Issaries fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Oct 13, 2022

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Which support can reliably duel Sombra? Because I tried waiting other teammates but no one managed to protect me

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Char posted:

Which support can reliably duel Sombra? Because I tried waiting other teammates but no one managed to protect me

On high tiers? No one, but then team-mates probably won't leave you to die either.
On low tiers. I've had some success with Moira. Low tier Sombras can't finish you before you can fade away and heal orb yourself.
Then you can shoot them enough that they have to relocate.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Just shoot her in the head noobs

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Char posted:

Which support can reliably duel Sombra?

:lol:

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
probably could have just flew out of the spawn with lucio

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Got a few matches under my belt as Brigitte, and dang she can be a lot of fun. Securing a kill on a runner with whip shot feel so *chef's kiss*

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
I think you're just supposed to live long enough for your team to come and cover for you against sombra which can be a tall ask.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Char posted:

You don't, you play Moira/Lucio/Mercy and leave with someone else. If she tries to kill you, you burn a cooldown and get away. Supports aren't meant to win against Sombra. If you're feeling good, you can maybe use a zen right click to murder her, but i struggle with that and i'm ok at zen.

If you leave with someone, burn the cooldown and she's still getting past the other person and killing you, then yeah sorry, you're gonna lose that game. At that point turn off the "must win" part of your brain and start practicing something (if you're trying to get better, anyway, if not just check out and go next, not worth getting stressed over vidja)

Edit:

Veev posted:

I think you're just supposed to live long enough for your team to come and cover for you against sombra which can be a tall ask.

This, basically.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Veev posted:

Translation: if you're playing solo queue, just get hosed.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Dogstile, your melee + charge + whip combo as Brig is money; I went from struggling to win any fight to placing in death matches; in ranked it's made me much more capable of repelling divers. Since I already spent so long playing, as someone else put it, coward Brig, it's put me in a place where I play very conservatively but then have some genuine ability to fight when it calls for it.

Lucio and Genji both seemed particularly vulnerable if they strayed close to me? Because if the charge lands, you're making it hard for them to juke the chain.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

whoever said matches feel way more one-sided, it def feels that way in 5v5. At least when it was 6v6, if someone was loving around like a moron, the team could still accomplish poo poo. Now in a 5-player loadout, if one of your primary damage dealers is AFK or being a dumbass, you're likely left with a sniper and a tank and a support who can't do fuckall. It happened many many times where Sojourn decided to stop moving for 60 seconds in base, and the match completely 360'd on my team lol.

I think I just liked when the team was 1 person bigger so having a dud teammate wasn't the same death knell as it is in such a comp'd, smaller one for the role queue.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

does qp have a hidden matchmaking system at all? i ask because i just came back to ow2 after not really playing for a year+ and i've been playing a bunch of d.va the last couple days, and my team has won every single game that wasn't thrown by leavers. like 20 or so wins back to back. for whatever reason her new version is really clicking with me.

i've never played comp at all, so i'm trying to gauge if the game is doing that thing where it puts me in the bottom of the barrel with a hidden mmr and i'm about to get a rude awakening. my dps games haven't gone nearly as well, probably more like a 50/50 wr. i've never felt like i've had a ton of mechanical skill at this game, so i'm wondering why i suddenly feel like a completely untouchable murder machine every game specifically with d.va

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

The Grumbles posted:

Blizzard’s games are designed to retain users for as many hours as possible at the expense of all else, which has brought out the worst in people since WoW. This happens with any game which is about making bars fill up but where filling those bars up is contingent on you being in simpatico with other people. See also Dota, Destiny, Call of Duty. Multiplayer games that avoid or mitigate these aggressively addictive feedback loops tend to dodge this and have much kinder communities (see ff14).

Blizzard games get a double whammy though, because their games tend to have a super infantilised narrative component on top of all that, making them catnip for huge man babies.

You're right, and I feel the aspirational competitive aspect of getting good enough to be a literal Overwatch Pro is a multiplier to all of what you said. 99.999% of the player base will never sniff a practice scrim for one of the pro teams, but even the chance of it seems to bring out the worst facets of people. It's crazy.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

dogstile posted:

At that point turn off the "must win" part of your brain and start practicing something (if you're trying to get better, anyway, if not just check out and go next, not worth getting stressed over vidja)

Yeah this is what I meant by "giving up".
If someone is destroying a game by theirselves that much, they're simply not meant to be in B5.

Char fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 13, 2022

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Jack B Nimble posted:

Dogstile, your melee + charge + whip combo as Brig is money; I went from struggling to win any fight to placing in death matches; in ranked it's made me much more capable of repelling divers. Since I already spent so long playing, as someone else put it, coward Brig, it's put me in a place where I play very conservatively but then have some genuine ability to fight when it calls for it.

Lucio and Genji both seemed particularly vulnerable if they strayed close to me? Because if the charge lands, you're making it hard for them to juke the chain.

Yup, and you're doing well over half their health with the combo, so they really have the choice of "hit all the headshots like a god" in which case lol, whatever, it happens, or they can leave.

You can transition this into more aggro brig at some point, but that's an adjustment thing, glad it helped :)

DLC Inc posted:

whoever said matches feel way more one-sided, it def feels that way in 5v5. At least when it was 6v6, if someone was loving around like a moron, the team could still accomplish poo poo. Now in a 5-player loadout, if one of your primary damage dealers is AFK or being a dumbass, you're likely left with a sniper and a tank and a support who can't do fuckall. It happened many many times where Sojourn decided to stop moving for 60 seconds in base, and the match completely 360'd on my team lol.

I think I just liked when the team was 1 person bigger so having a dud teammate wasn't the same death knell as it is in such a comp'd, smaller one for the role queue.

Both ways really. I think "Statistically" you could only affect like, 7% of your overwatch games unless you vastly outskill your opponents. Now you can probably affect more (less people means that you're able to carry a little harder, each pick means more, etc) but it also means that you'll really feel it if you're all supposed to be in that game.

But i'm not gonna actually run the numbers because i'm good at video games, not numbers.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 13, 2022

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

dogstile posted:

This makes sense, i heard lower but tbh my tank last placed at rank 200 or so and my support/dps were like, low gm at best.

Ahh yeah. I think any GM/T500 that had "lower" placements were on their non-main queues, e.g., Emongg got Diamond 5 on his support queue, but got Master 5 on tank. Seagull got Diamond 1 on his DPS queue, but he said he hadn't played OW comp in a handful of seasons and his last SR was around 4200ish.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

If you are playing on console and chose to enable cross play for expedited matchmaking, you deserve to know Blizzard is putting you at a significant disadvantage for doing so.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Good lord I just finished a comp match where we got the payload from beginning to end with 20 seconds to start with and then entirely overtime . Roadhog is absolutely unkillable with a pocket mercy

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Aipsh posted:

Good lord I just finished a comp match where we got the payload from beginning to end with 20 seconds to start with and then entirely overtime . Roadhog is absolutely unkillable with a pocket mercy

Ana has questions about that.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Father Wendigo posted:

If you are playing on console and chose to enable cross play for expedited matchmaking, you deserve to know Blizzard is putting you at a significant disadvantage for doing so.

Idk why they even have crossplay. Half the characters are either unplayable or just cant function as intended on a controller.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Father Wendigo posted:

One of the few things they’ve made the right call on.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
6 tank wins in a row in comp then beyond slaughtered at the last hurdle :negative: didn’t even get on the point 3 times

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

https://www.eurogamer.net/activision-blizzard-hit-with-another-sexual-harassment-lawsuit

lmao

i wonder if microsoft is going to clean house or just stay hands off

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Wheeee posted:

https://www.eurogamer.net/activision-blizzard-hit-with-another-sexual-harassment-lawsuit

lmao

i wonder if microsoft is going to clean house or just stay hands off

i mean, they did fire the guy a year ago. but idk. probably microsoft stays hands off for now, but i'm almost certain something is going to happen again because Blizzard is too big and the culture was too ingrained there for things to immediately stop overnight.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

i mean, they did fire the guy a year ago. but idk. probably microsoft stays hands off for now, but i'm almost certain something is going to happen again because Blizzard is too big and the culture was too ingrained there for things to immediately stop overnight.

Fired within 10 days of being reported, as well. Not sure how fast it usually happens in big companies. Not that i'm defending it, but the fucker is gone.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

dogstile posted:

Fired within 10 days of being reported, as well. Not sure how fast it usually happens in big companies. Not that i'm defending it, but the fucker is gone.

it's obviously still not a great environment, but most big companies nowadays recognize that active sexual harassment/assault lawsuits can rapidly tank both stock prices and broader brand appeal, and are far more willing to jettison people if they don't have enough seniority to cling on. G2 recently booted their CEO and founder carlos after his intransigence over being friends with noted sex trafficking criminal andrew tate cost them their pro valorant spot, and canada's overarching hockey body recently had its interim CEO and entire board of directors resign after they tried to dig in their heels over revelations of a secret fund to pay off sexual assault lawsuits, which caused every single sponsor they had to drop them like a hot rock

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Mind over Matter posted:

I don't see it in this chart, is Blizzard World still in the game? There must be a map rotation going or something? Because I haven't seen it all since the OW2 launch except for in queue waiting Deathmatch mode.
Blizzard World is still in as a Team Deathmatch map at least

https://i.imgur.com/B203gkA.mp4

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

They legally have to stay hands off until the acquisition completes.

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost

Jack Trades posted:

You're being either extremely loving disingenuous right now or just stupid.

30 frames, 0.5 seconds is already fairly difficult to react to in a fighting game and you only have one opponent to focus on, they're not invisible, and they're not always off screen.

i know you can't block snake edge, don't worry

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

yo mamma a Horus posted:

i know you can't block snake edge, don't worry

They're called "fighting games" not "blocking games". hth

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

"Think not that I am come to send peace on Blizzard: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - Phil Spencer

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Father Wendigo posted:

if you've ever played a recent fps with massively overtuned aim assist, you know they've made the right call

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

comedyblissoption posted:

if you've ever played a recent fps with massively overtuned aim assist, you know they've made the right call

The videos I've seen of Apex suggest console players are better at close quarters fragging then PC and the Quake player inside of me howls in rage at the thought.